Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:11   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Smashed Rear Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanuj_afc View Post
What about the mud, can it be cleaned out with the cleaner. The mud is very wet and has gone into the smaller gaps.

I'll take the car to TASS, can you tell me how much would it cost? How much time would it take to get the car complete?
The interior cleaning can take care of the mud also. Check with TASS regarding the cost. Should not be too high.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th June 2019 at 07:31. Reason: Typo in title
Old 23rd June 2019, 18:13   #62
BHPian

Re: Smashed Rear Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
The interior cleaning can take care of the mud also. Check with TASS regarding the cost. Should not be too high.
Thank you so much, will be taking the car to TASS tomorrow, I'll update it what cost would I have to pay plus the before and after photos

Last edited by Aditya : 24th June 2019 at 07:30. Reason: Typo in title
Old 17th August 2019, 08:07   #63
BHPian

Re: Windshield cracked. Need replacement

Noticed a small crack developing on my Polo at the bottom right corner. Does not look like a stone chip. More like the glass cracked by stress over a pothole? Is that possible? I guess the best option is for replacement since the crack has started developing towards the visible area.
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield cracked. Need replacement-img_20190817_074005033.jpg  

Old 27th August 2019, 15:12   #64
BHPian

Few queries on windshield replacement...
1. Does the replacement windshield come with same design shading/stickering as the original one?
2. Is the old rearview mirror migrated to the new one?
3. Any idea how the fastag stuck to the windshield can be migrated?
Old 27th August 2019, 17:13   #65
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes, you find the replacement windshield same as the OEM, rear view mirror will be stuck to the same place on the new windshield. The FASTAG sticker cannot be reused as the vehicle details are on the other side facing the windshield. A replacement tag should be obtained.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 18:44   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfighter View Post
Few queries on windshield replacement...
2. Is the old rearview mirror migrated to the new one?
One one of our replacements at the windshield experts in Bangalore, the rear-view mirror was not migrated. They had put in a different piece. Additionally, that new piece had a strange fitting - if you happen to drive on some rumble strips, the mirror moves out of position and upwards! Has to be pushed back in!

I discovered this few months into the windscreen replacement - when it jumped out of its socket and landed down!
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 09:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I noticed a crack in the windshield glass of my Brezza. I don't know how this happened but it looks like a stone chip. At first look, it doesn't look that major but it should be replaced at earliest. As per MASS, the replacement can take 3 days.

Now the issue is, we have a trip in the pipeline, It's going to be a 5-days and 2000km trip. What should we do? Should I replace it before the trip or the glass can hold for 2000km?
Windshield cracked. Need replacement-20191016_142724.jpg
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2019, 10:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Now the issue is, we have a trip in the pipeline, It's going to be a 5-days and 2000km trip. What should we do? Should I replace it before the trip or the glass can hold for 2000km?
Attachment 1923978
I have been living with an exactly similar crack on my cars windshield and it has not spread anything beyond that area so far even after driving for about a few thousands of kms.
Old 1st December 2019, 09:07   #69
BHPian

I replaced the windshield of my 10 year old car yesterday. Its a long story, but the front glass had too many scratches with the wiper, and to such an extent that driving in the night time was extremely difficult. It was OK in the city to some extent. A recent stone hit ( I guess) created a small crack, and that was the tipping point for me. I decided to replace the windshield.

Called up Windshield Experts, they directed me to their outlet in the city closest to me.

They had the glass for my car available in stock ( old i20), and also helped in filing the insurance claim. The process was quite smooth overall ( except that the technician was not on location and we had to wait for him a bit ). I didn't have to leave the car there, they did the replacement on the spot.

Overall it looked like a good, professional job to me. They give warranty for 1 year against leakages etc. Original AIS OE glass fixed, and they have put tapes on the glass for now. Advised me not to park the car in the sun for the first couple of days. And also not to do pressure-wash.

Also the main piece of advise from the guy - never compromise on windshield wipers. fix the best ones, change regularly.

Overall it cost me 1600/- ( some costs were shared, while the glass cost was covered in insurance ).

I think the overall process shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes ( mine took a bit longer because of some waiting time )
Old 13th March 2020, 15:27   #70
BHPian

I wanted to share my story of cracked windshield and next steps to get it replaced. Also requesting your advise on few matters related to this.
Car: Skoda Octavia TDI 2L MT 2019 Model
Issue Faced: During one of the drives a stone hit the upper portion of my windshield causing a small chip. The chip remained as it is till i did a body wash of my car. After the wash i had parked the car and following day i see a big crack formed from this chip. The crack has kept on increasing in length. I have driven around 1200 kms and the crack is increasing by millimeters. Also i can hear some sounds coming from the windscreen. I dont want to take the risk anymore and planning to get it replaced. Windshield replacement means i need to replace the following too:
1. FASTag sticker
2. Dash Cam sticker
3. HSRP Number plate sticker
4. 3M sunfilm on the windscreen
Next steps: Inquired with TAFE Access as Vinayak Skoda is no more a authorized dealer. Since the crack is due to a stone hitting the windshield its not covered under warranty. Seems insurance will cover 100%(cashless with Bajaj Allianz). i will need to bear 2000 rs odd. There are 2 types of windshield it seems, one costing Rs.25k and the other Rs.28k. I have an appointment next week when i will have more details. I have also requested for a quote from Windshield experts and yet to receive it.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions on the best way to get this replaced.
Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2020, 22:40   #71
BHPian

While driving on BLR NICE Road, the truck tyre happened to throw a stone on left side of windshield and it cracked. Went to Windshield World and installed Pilkington Glass.
However, just observed that they have not put the beading around the edges of the glass. I see Suzuki/Hyundai/Tata cars have beading around the windshield. But for some reason Punto/Linea does not have any beading around.

Requeted the installers, they say the beading should be done before the installation and not after. Is this correct. Am seeing if any options to stick them externally so that i wont get water leakage or wind noise.
blackstallion76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2020, 16:43   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santosh.Kat View Post
Windshield replacement means i need to replace the following too:
1. FASTag sticker
2. Dash Cam sticker
3. HSRP Number plate sticker
4. 3M sunfilm on the windscreen
Can you help me with the process to get the HSRP Number Plate sticker replacement? I am planning to change my windshield and would like to keep these things in my hand before getting it changed.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:57   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDaddy_In View Post
Can you help me with the process to get the HSRP Number Plate sticker replacement? I am planning to change my windshield and would like to keep these things in my hand before getting it changed.
I haven't got the HSRP sticker replacement. Couldn't research on the process for it. Fasttag(ICICI) took almost 3 months. Was told the delay due to lockdown/stock issues. Hopefully should be faster now!
Santosh.Kat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 20:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't got the HSRP sticker replacement. Couldn't research on the process for it. Fasttag(ICICI) took almost 3 months. Was told the delay due to lockdown/stock issues. Hopefully should be faster now!
Neither could I find anything online. I started checking out other cars for the sticker, more than 90% of them do not come with it. I think we can live without it(at least for a year or two).

Very foolish of the RTO to provide something which cannot be replaced if needed.

Last edited by bigDaddy_In : 5th November 2020 at 20:06. Reason: Forgot to quote the gentleman!
Old 6th November 2020, 18:11   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Fasttag(ICICI) took almost 3 months. Was told the delay due to lockdown/stock issues.
Hi there,
I am sailing in the same boat with a cracked wind shield and ICICI fastag. I have raised numerous requests for the same but none has been answered by ICICI. Even tried their toll free number but that also didnt get through. Could you please tell me how did you apply for a new fastag from ICICI?

Thank you for your support.

Punit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks