Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2009, 19:04   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Kaushik, it's usually advised that during brake & suspension work, calipers are not allowed to dangle like in the pic. The calipers can be pretty heavy & could place undue stress on the piping for the brakes.
Good observation there. Calipers should be tied up or given support from the bottom while doing this.
Old 13th January 2009, 22:07   #77
Senior - BHPian

well it cost me INR 1,600 approx with labor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas99 View Post
Wow, this is news to me

I was given that info by Honda ***. He gave me a quote of 11k for the spare. When i checked for the same spare outside i was quoted 4500 INR.
How much did it cost you to replace just the bearing ?
Old 14th January 2009, 13:52   #78
Senior - BHPian

You guys are right and i had done the same but the calipers had to be un-tied since the wheel hub was to be installed next, the pic was taken just after that happened.

But i guess this has indirectly got out an important lesson for all of us who dont really know the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi Kaushik, it's usually advised that during brake & suspension work, calipers are not allowed to dangle like in the pic. The calipers can be pretty heavy & could place undue stress on the piping for the brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Good observation there. Calipers should be tied up or given support from the bottom while doing this.
Old 16th January 2009, 12:41   #79
Senior - BHPian

Ok guys Lets meet...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...et-thread.html
Old 16th January 2009, 12:59   #80
BHPian

Front wheels as well do need bearing. Otherwise, what do we do if we need to push the car in neutral?

OT: When you hear a humming sound that increases with the speed of the car, and irrespective of the engine speed (note: no matter even if you coast in neutral), it's time to change the front wheel bearings (for M800 atleast) . Also, you can touch and feel the temp of the rims after the car has done some distance.. will be hotter if the bearings are gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
KSM - where is the front wheel bearing located ? I am having a doubt whether there really exists a FRONT wheel bearing ? I mean - why would the driven wheels need to have a bearing ?
Old 16th January 2009, 13:15   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

OT: Can worn out front wheel bearings cause vibrations on the steering? My 1.5 OHC gets steering vibrations only between speeds of 90-110. Wheel balancing is perfect. What could be the problem?
Old 16th January 2009, 13:23   #82
BHPian

IMHO most of the times vibrations in the steering is a case of the suspension setup going 'loose'...
Old 16th January 2009, 13:30   #83
BHPian

All rotating parts have bearings people.. justr like your kids cycle does and your own cycle does... yes both front and rear... even airplane tyres have bearings .. as do rail engines .. so rest assured ur car wheels also do... next...WHENEVER.. you hear a humming sound in most cars when driving ...even when coasting ... it IS a bearing gone bad... PERIOD... please dont doubt this and just go to your trusted guy and have it changed. Maruti people can buy OEM spares and have it done anywhere... Hyundai , Honda , Ford etc.. either drive into authorised svc centres and get a hefty bill or try and get quality duplicates like (SKF etc) and get the work done at your own mechanics joint. Remember , howver that the bearing replacement needs lathe work on the wheels so he needs to go to a good lathe guy to do the job. Have experienced all this in the last 22 yrs that i have driving :-)
darthvader5000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2009, 13:32   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
OT: Can worn out front wheel bearings cause vibrations on the steering? My 1.5 OHC gets steering vibrations only between speeds of 90-110. Wheel balancing is perfect. What could be the problem?
Tejas, I really doubt if worn out bearings can cause vibrations, they just cause serious humming. Alloys can be an issue. Need to get them checked.
Old 16th January 2009, 14:22   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asejwal View Post
IMHO most of the times vibrations in the steering is a case of the suspension setup going 'loose'...
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by suspension going loose? What is the remedy for that?
There is also high vibration felt in the clutch at only those speeds and not at higher or lower speeds.

Quote:
Tejas, I really doubt if worn out bearings can cause vibrations, they just cause serious humming. Alloys can be an issue. Need to get them checked.
I thought so too, but just wanted to make sure. The alloys are new, hardly 3000kms old and the wheels have been balanced perfectly and verified by two other tyre shops as well.

What other problem could it be? Anyone?
Old 16th January 2009, 14:40   #86
Senior - BHPian

Get your wheel bearing changed if you havent done it so far and you will know.

The end of the Lower arm and the tie rod ends are the ones which get damaged usually. Changing these should solve your problem. But get them checked first.

Quote:
Can you elaborate on that? What do you mean by suspension going loose? What is the remedy for that?
There is also high vibration felt in the clutch at only those speeds and not at higher or lower speeds.

I thought so too, but just wanted to make sure. The alloys are new, hardly 3000kms old and the wheels have been balanced perfectly and verified by two other tyre shops as well.

Old 16th January 2009, 15:19   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mostly alloys.

Quote:
Yep
Please do check this link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...oy-wheels.html
Old 16th January 2009, 15:23   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Mostly alloys.
Alloys are fine. Got them checked at many places and they are new and fine. But why will this occur at only these speeds?
Old 16th January 2009, 16:09   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Quote:

Agreed that the alloys are new and perfectly balanced , but the thread that sushrutha has posted is a must read for your problem. If the problem started after you put the alloys, the thread probably is your answer.

Quote:
Alloys are fine. Got them checked at many places and they are new and fine. But why will this occur at only these speeds?
I can tell you one more reason, worn out engine mounts can cause vibration/shakes at certain speeds too.
Old 16th January 2009, 16:29   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Get your wheel bearing changed if you havent done it so far and you will know.
The end of the Lower arm and the tie rod ends are the ones which get damaged usually. Changing these should solve your problem. But get them checked first.
Tejas dear, as has been pointed out by KSM, your tie-rod ends, ends of your lower arms, bushes etc. get worn off and develop what the mechanics call 'play'. In such a situation, the steering vibrates at a particular speed and the vibration stops as the speed is increased or decreased. If these are the symptoms, it's the suspension gone kaput...
A broken/jammed bearing will not allow as much 'play' causing the steering to vibrate and also, a faulty bearing produces a 'humming' sound when the wheel is rotated (with the vehicle on the jack)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks