Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2011, 01:03   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Forget cost, Delvac MX is crap.
I had used it in my tucson once and it made the engine sound very rough...switched back within 2/3 months to IndianOil Servo (the default oil that Hyundai A.S.S. use) for which I have developed great regards. It's a fantastic oil as far as regular mineral oils for diesels are concerned.

If you want to stick to mineral, IndianOil Servo is awesome, trust me.
Well well, that is news indeed. I put Delvac MX in my Verna CRDI (which too used Hyundai Chhaap Indianoil servo earlier) and the engine totally changed. The NVH from the engine was noticeably less. Can't comment on the FE because I'm not the "Stand at the petrol pump with a ruler and beaker" types. Best of all, now I stretch my service intervals to 7K, yet the used oil which comes out is still much more viscous than the earlier Servo (which turned watery by then).

To each his own, eh?
Old 14th April 2011, 06:54   #647
BHPian

It's just not right to either uphold or trash an oil based on what you feel !!
If you really want to check what an oil has done to your engine,best method is UOA (Used Oil Analysis).I think this has been already been stated umpteen number of times on this forum.

Another thing which you can do is try to compare the properties like VI,Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C & 100°C,HTHS,TBN for the oils in contention.This can help you in arriving at a judgement (more the VI,the better for e.g.)

I have been using Delvac MX for past 85K in my 2.2 Safari with no issues whatsoever (it has withstood the sub-zeros in Ladakh to Scorching heat in R'sthan)

In fact I got HV Kumar to run his Scorpio which has done close to 270K on Delvac MX and he's quite happy with the results !
Old 14th April 2011, 09:14   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Forget cost, Delvac MX is crap.
I had used it in my tucson once and it made the engine sound very rough...switched back within 2/3 months to IndianOil Servo (the default oil that Hyundai A.S.S. use) for which I have developed great regards.
According to positive experience by most others, i think his was a one off case. Delvac has spotty availability, maybe he got a fake can.
Couldbe verified if he tries it again.
Old 14th April 2011, 13:32   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Well well, that is news indeed. I put Delvac MX in my Verna CRDI (which too used Hyundai Chhaap Indianoil servo earlier) and the engine totally changed. The NVH from the engine was noticeably less. Can't comment on the FE because I'm not the "Stand at the petrol pump with a ruler and beaker" types. Best of all, now I stretch my service intervals to 7K, yet the used oil which comes out is still much more viscous than the earlier Servo (which turned watery by then).

To each his own, eh?
Of course to each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
It's just not right to either uphold or trash an oil based on what you feel !!
If you really want to check what an oil has done to your engine,best method is UOA (Used Oil Analysis).I think this has been already been stated umpteen number of times on this forum.

Another thing which you can do is try to compare the properties like VI,Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C & 100°C,HTHS,TBN for the oils in contention.This can help you in arriving at a judgement (more the VI,the better for e.g.)

I have been using Delvac MX for past 85K in my 2.2 Safari with no issues whatsoever (it has withstood the sub-zeros in Ladakh to Scorching heat in R'sthan)

In fact I got HV Kumar to run his Scorpio which has done close to 270K on Delvac MX and he's quite happy with the results !
As @predatorwheelz said, to each his own.

If my engine runs rough and noisy with Delvac MX, and that goes away after switching to Servo, I go by that.

I understand that a technical evaluation is preferred, but if engine becomes rough and noisy with Delvac MX, it does not matter to me what the VI, KV, HTHS, TBN readings are.

But, surely, next time when I come across a bad oil, I will collect the samples of that used oil after I switch oil. It will be fun to analyse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
According to positive experience by most others, i think his was a one off case. Delvac has spotty availability, maybe he got a fake can.
Couldbe verified if he tries it again.
May be it was fake can, who knows.
I am not going to try again :-) But why would it be fake? Delvac MX is not an expensive oil so making fake cans would not earn anybody big money. And Delvac MX is available in plenty- at least in Pune. In fact Delvac 1 is also fairly easily available here.

Cheers!
P.S. I will post my feel of Delvac 1 tomorrow - could not use Tucson in the morning today.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 14th April 2011 at 13:35.
Old 14th April 2011, 18:51   #650
BHPian

Quote:
I also remember your comment that your car takes longer to heat up to the optimum temp - with Delvac 1. I will also look for any such thing in Tucson and report.

Will be hard to confirm FE changes - Tucson has always been very efficient - 10 to 12 kmpl - around 700km range on full tank and there has never been black smoke from exhaust...so Delvac 1 has a real challenge to prove itself on this front.

Stay tuned. Cheers!
Sure Anand - It was the same in my case too. I have been using Delvac MX initially but moved to 5w50 super syn as it just met the requirement for my Accent CRDi for the last 40k kms..

Mileage has definitely gone up in my opinion - For a half tank of diesel my ride would have completed 240 kms in Bangalore's bumper to bumper traffic but now it is already crossed 280 kms but yet to dip below the half tank mark

Quote:
P.S. I will post my feel of Delvac 1 tomorrow - could not use Tucson in the morning today.
Waiting for your update on this Anand..

Keep us posted

Cheers
Old 15th April 2011, 11:42   #651
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, took Tucson to office this morning (22km drive - mostly through city but some congestion free patches here and there).

- The engine temperature reached optimum after nearabout same duration/distance, so I can not say for sure if Delvac 1 made any difference here (at least for now).

- I tried high revving in first, second and third. The engine protest has reduced a bit. The improvement is very marginal in first and second, while more perceptable in third.

- I lugged the engine a bit - slowed down to 25/30kmph in third and accelrated again...there was reduced knocking this time and accelration was a little smoother with little less clatter and rattle.

I will take to highway in next 2/3days and see the top speed I can achieve in 2nd, third and fourth. If I remember correctly, Tucson has never been able to go beyond 100kmph in third, I will see what happens now with Delvac 1. At least I will see if the engine feels more relaxed at 100kmph in third...

Overall, from early impressions, seems to be a decent oil Delvac 1.

Will update more early next week.
Cheers!
Old 15th April 2011, 13:01   #652
Senior - BHPian

@anandpadhye - I'd suggest not to red-line any modern Diesels, it is a sure shot way of reducing the Engine's usable life before overhaul. Revving it within torque range (1750~2750 RPM in my Getz CRDi) will produce more 'juice', more so because the torque actually tappers off after ~3000 RPM.
Old 15th April 2011, 14:21   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@anandpadhye - I'd suggest not to red-line any modern Diesels, it is a sure shot way of reducing the Engine's usable life before overhaul. Revving it within torque range (1750~2750 RPM in my Getz CRDi) will produce more 'juice', more so because the torque actually tappers off after ~3000 RPM.

Yes, I agree.
That's why these diesels should come with well matched gear boxes (in fact anything less than the DSG is pathetic). Tucson has a sloppy gearbox - poor ratios (1st and second are short and there is huge void between 2nd and 3rd). If I have to overtake someone in moderate slow speed traffic, and I am in 2nd, I run out of rev range too quickly and shiftng to 3rd mid-way (takes time due to the shift quality which is not so good) means mostly I will end up once again behind the same guy I was trying to overtake and because he is so slow, I fall below the rev range of my 3rd and engine knocks...so back to 2nd .

This Tucson engine + DSG would do wonders...

But the point here was - to see if Delvac 1 makes it any easier to revv this not so rev-happy engine - just to see if there is any perceptable difference.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:03   #654
BHPian

Is it advisable to use Castrol Magnatec in a Diesel car? The specificaton of Magnatec says :
Quote:
  • Uses Synthetic Technology
  • Recommended in use for all types of high performance luxury cars (Petrol and Diesel)
  • Best – in – class API SM Formulation
  • Viscosity: SAE 10W-40
Old 15th April 2011, 15:25   #655
Distinguished - BHPian

@Archat, it should be fine. Note the last 3 points in your post.
Old 15th April 2011, 16:13   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Is it advisable to use Castrol Magnatec in a Diesel car? The specificaton of Magnatec says :
API SM is a standard for petrol engine oils.
So this one looks similar to Mobil 1, etc which are good oils for petrol engines.

Look specifically for API CI/CI+/CH, etc. which are the standards for diesel engine oils.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:42   #657
BHPian

Got an oil change done today. Moved back to castrol GTX-D. Despite explicitly telling TASC to put in castrol they put in mobil. TASC insisted that there isnt any price difference between the two 275/L . Requested them to drain it and refill it with Castrol. One thing i noticed was that the new oil had also turned black when they drained it. I wonder why?

Of recent every TASC seems to try and fill in 4.5 L of oil in an engine designed for 4L (indica 475 IDI NA). When they insisted that it is 4.5L made them go through past service records, measure 4L and then pour it in. Not sure if other have been taken for a ride in a similar way. Overfilling will almost always be detrimental, so i guess TASC is simply pulling a fast one.

One tangible thing i noted was that that the engine temperature indicator is 10%-15% less than where it normally used to be i.e. 12 o clock position, now it is between 11 and 12.

Otherwise, the engine sounds the same, drivability is marginally better - more to do with the air filter change i would guess.
Old 19th April 2011, 08:39   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

@cyberwhizs, 4.5L would be the total oil in oil sump + oil filter. This "overfilling" seems to happen quite regularly, and like you said is not good. Irrespective of what they say, insist on:

1. They fill 4L only. Have them write this in the job card.
2. Check oil level before you take the car out after servicing. If it is in excess, then get it reduced.

Mobil should be as good as Castrol if not better. Reg the oil turning black when it was removed: do you know how much the car was run after they put in fresh oil ?
Old 19th April 2011, 11:34   #659
BHPian

@condor.

All previous services at TASC over a period of 6 years it has been only 4L. Only the last couple of services they claimed to have put in 4.5 and charged me for the same. I didn't notice it on the last two occasions. This time i was alert and caught them.
I have seen if you fill 4L it comes up to the max mark (including sump+filter). So 4.5 liters in all probability is just a quick way to make some money.

I faced some unique problems with mobil, increased oil consumption. So switched back to castrol. The car would have hardly run a kilometer and the drained oil was pretty black. However if you see on the dip stick it was the usual translucent self. Maybe they didnt drain the old oil completely on the last attempt.
Old 19th April 2011, 12:33   #660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@cyberwhizs;

This is an interesting point. Request Condor and Spikey and other experts to come up with some inputs on this please.

My Scorpio 2.6 crde engine temp gauge needle has always been lurking around the 11-12 o clock position, ever since I bought the vehicle. Its never gone higher than 1 o clock, despite sometimes driving the vehicle quite hard for long distances on highways during midday in the hotter part of the year (example Bangalore Madras or Bangalore Coimbatore or Bangalore Coorg or Bangalore Ooty).

By the same yardstick it never seems to go lower than 11 o clock either. Once it is started up the needle creeps up and lurks around at that 11-12 position.

Ive been following the maintenance and servicing schedules pretty rigorously and like to look after the vehicle properly.

Is this 11-12 o clock normal? Will it never go lower than 11 o clock? even if say if I change the oils from the standard M&M recommended Mineral oil to some super synthetic one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberwhizs View Post
One tangible thing i noted was that that the engine temperature indicator is 10%-15% less than where it normally used to be i.e. 12 o clock position, now it is between 11 and 12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks