Team-BHP - All about diesel engine oils
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   All about diesel engine oils (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/54393-all-about-diesel-engine-oils.html)

There is total ignorance about correct engine oil for Laura PD diesel engine. The same would apply to the VW Jetta.

At least two service dealers in Delhi are unaware of the requisite VW 505.01 approved oil and are filling VW 505.00 instead (meant only for Octavia non-PD diesels).

Beware, the lesser oil will reduce the life of the cam lobes driving the unit injectors.

Done lots of research and willing to share info.

Now a lot of relevant discussions have been happening at the synthetic vs mineral thread, but i think diesel engine oils need a thread all to themselves. From what I've gathered from that thread , as well as others is that Mobil delvac MX and Chevron Delo 400 are the better ones. Today I went to pick up delvac MX and the shopkeeper said he had some shell rimula in stock as well. Since it was CH4, and I'd heard about delvac, picked up the Mobil. But is Rimula any good ?

what about the other oils. I know castrol GTD is crap, because that what I've been using so far :D. Castrol GTX ought to be better.

Diesel Vehicle owners, Please do post your experiences :)

Well, this thread is one I will closely follow. I was recently surprised to see the castrol website mention GTX Diesel as CH4 grade.

I vaguely remember the can I had used a while ago to be CI4. Now looking for mineral oils that are CI4 grade for my swift diesel.

Can we request the mods to keep this as a separate thread please ?

check out a huge ton of info on this thread :D
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ur-diesel.html

Good thread to gain some gyaan on diesel engine oils. Don't we have Dr Bhatti equivalent in this field? :D

I have a Dzire ZDi and shall follow this thread. I also need to know the difference between the different oils - engine oil, gear oil, is there any other oil? Is gear oil too different for diesel?

Currently I am sticking to MGO - Mobil Delvac. Good? Bad? What say?

Delvac 1 is one of the best diesel engine oils you can buy off the shelf. Problem is, you won't see them on shelves too often. Volvo & other premium truck manufacturers (Merc etc.) buy their entire India supply. My cousin is the Maharashtra distributor for Mobil, and I still have a hard time sourcing Delvac 1! I've stocked up on 10 liters for my Jeep, which should easily last a year.

Mercedes uses Mobil 1 in their range of diesel sedans.

Just got off line from the Delo Dealer in Gurgaon. Getting Delo400 for my diesel car. What do you guys think of the oil ?

Worth buying at 230 bucks a litre ?

Also, some nice information here.

Caltex: General Questions

What is a synthetic oil?
A synthetic oil originates from crude oil. However, certain molecules are selected and combined via chemical reactions to form a relatively pure substance of known composition. Synthetic oils, like mineral oils, require the addition of proper additives for optimum performance. They perform the same function as mineral oils and require the same oil drain intervals.

Cost per litre depends on the volume you're buying. A 1L bottle costs the most per litre while a 4/5L can should be cheaper(per L) and a bucket should be the cheapest/L.

I just picked up Delvac MX @ Rs.180/L in 1L bottles for the Safari 2.2. This is the cheapest I've found. The last time I picked it up @ 1550 for a 7.5L bucket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy (Post 1196538)
Just got off line from the Delo Dealer in Gurgaon. Getting Delo400 for my diesel car. What do you guys think of the oil ?

Worth buying at 230 bucks a litre ?

Also, some nice information here.

Caltex: General Questions

I would recommend Mobile Delvac MX which comes at 200 Rs./Lt and is better than or at least comparable to Delo 400. It is also a Maruti recommended oil for Diesel engines along with delvac 1300 super.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1196674)
Cost per litre depends on the volume you're buying. A 1L bottle costs the most per litre while a 4/5L can should be cheaper(per L) and a bucket should be the cheapest/L.

I just picked up Delvac MX @ Rs.180/L in 1L bottles for the Safari 2.2. This is the cheapest I've found. The last time I picked it up @ 1550 for a 7.5L bucket.

I am being quoted 2300 for a 10L can. Its not available in lesser denominations but that is ok with me.

All I need to know is whether the oil is good and if any other better alternative is available in mineral oil. How does it compare to GTX diesel (which is extremely har to source) and Mobil Delvac.

Mobil Delvac MX is the best i have used in my Safari when compared to Castrol GTD,GTX.

and i paid around 1300 Rs for 7.5 Litre can.

i got 6 litres for 1.3k - 1.1k for the 5l can, and .2k for the 1l bottle. In hindsight , I should have just bought 6 bottles :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 (Post 1196812)
Mobil Delvac MX is the best i have used in my Safari when compared to Castrol GTD,GTX.

and i paid around 1300 Rs for 7.5 Litre can.

Where did you get it from ?

Where can I find Mobil Delvac in Mumbai - Probably some one from mumbai help me out.

Regards,
Kailash

Can you suggest best mineral oil brand for skoda octavia 1.9 TDI?