Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 19:03   #556
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
I would need torque graphs to explain any further.
+1 to that. The torque curves are different for the FIAT and MUL DDIS.
Old 13th February 2011, 22:17   #557
Team-BHP Support

Got some Mobil Delvac MX yesterday, price has increased to 250 MRP/liter.

Good news! Mobil Delvac 1 has arrived at the factory (according to the dealer) and will soon be released in retail market. So hopefully a proper synthetic for oil burners available off the shelf.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:43   #558
Senior - BHPian

Folks the Scorp' is due for its 4th service and the engine oil also needs to be changed. As per the manual the grade mentioned is API CH-4 15W-40. The recommendation is to use Mahindra Maximile Supreme and looks like M&M have declared their oil to be the penultimate one.

Do we have better options from Castrol/Mobil/Shell, if yes where can I pick it up from ?
Old 16th February 2011, 09:48   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Folks the Scorp' is due for its 4th service and the engine oil also needs to be changed. As per the manual the grade mentioned is API CH-4 15W-40. The recommendation is to use Mahindra Maximile Supreme and looks like M&M have declared their oil to be the penultimate one.

Do we have better options from Castrol/Mobil/Shell, if yes where can I pick it up from ?
Riju,

Best option for mineral oil would be Mobil Delvac MX. And if you are considering the best brew for your ride Mobil Delvac 1

Hope this helps

Since you live in around Sadhashivnagar you can call Sandeep the distributor who lives in Sheshadripuram @+919448397389.

If you have time on your hands you can visit J K Auto on J C Road and call Satish @ 9845065570

Hope this helps
Old 16th February 2011, 10:54   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

If you want to stick to 15W-40 CH-4, then there's Castrol GTX Diesel, Mobil Delvac MX, Shell Helix Diesel HX6.

Also, there are several options listed at the link given below which have a CI-4 rating [except Castrol GTX Diesel] and thus exceeds the specs given by M&M.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2195906

OT: If the M&M ASC is reluctant to use any other oil and starts giving excuses, point out to them that the user manual clearly states: "For any other than Maximile brand, oil change interval should be 10k, if the oil meets minimum of API CH-4 SAE15W40 specs". When I wanted to do an oil change for my SLE [changed to Mobil Delvac MX] at the 15k kms service, the same thing happened. So I got the M&M customer care manager in Pune to send me an email stating that they had no issues with me using any oil other than Maximile as long as it was genuine, met the recommended specs and I changed it every 10k kms. After that, the ASC couldn't say no.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 16th February 2011 at 10:56.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:29   #561
BHPian

Hi Csateesh,

I spoke to Sandeep. He says he's received calls from atleast 15 people claiming to be from T-Bhp asking about Mobil Delvac 1 engine oil.

He says most of his dealers do not stock this item since it does not sell in volumes. He has suggested that we consolidate everyone's requirements and tell him the quantity. He'll then procure it and also keep some extra stock at some dealer location. He is a distributor and does not stock.

I am buying 5 ltrs of Mobil Delvac MX which is readily available, for my jeep. He told me to buy it from West Coast Motors on Ist Main, Seshadripuram (near the Hyundai Service Centre). The cost is Rs. 270/- per ltr.

Since I am going there I'll be buying 3 ltrs 20W50 oil for my bike as well.

Cheers

KD
Old 16th February 2011, 13:31   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Riju,

Best option for mineral oil would be Mobil Delvac MX. And if you are considering the best brew for your ride Mobil Delvac 1

Hope this helps
Definitely helps and thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
If you want to stick to 15W-40 CH-4, then there's Castrol GTX Diesel, Mobil Delvac MX, Shell Helix Diesel HX6.

Also, there are several options listed at the link given below which have a CI-4 rating [except Castrol GTX Diesel] and thus exceeds the specs given by M&M.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2195906

OT: If the M&M ASC is reluctant to use any other oil and starts giving excuses, point out to them that the user manual clearly states: "For any other than Maximile brand, oil change interval should be 10k, if the oil meets minimum of API CH-4 SAE15W40 specs". When I wanted to do an oil change for my SLE [changed to Mobil Delvac MX] at the 15k kms service, the same thing happened. So I got the M&M customer care manager in Pune to send me an email stating that they had no issues with me using any oil other than Maximile as long as it was genuine, met the recommended specs and I changed it every 10k kms. After that, the ASC couldn't say no.

Cheers,
Vikram
vikram interesting stuff in the OT part. Thanks for the heads up.

Am a little hard pressed on time now, so maybe I will pick up Shell Helix Diesel from one of the Shell outlets.

Mahadevapura has quite a few Castrol outlets, will have to check with one of them if shell doesnt have the Helix in stock. BTW this damn thing needs 6 liters .
Old 16th February 2011, 16:41   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..point out to them that the user manual clearly states: "For any other than Maximile brand, oil change interval should be 10k, if the oil meets minimum of API CH-4 SAE15W40 specs"
The Mahindra Maximile is a co-branded oil from Shell AFAIK and is a good oil. Not necessary to worry about the same. There will be no difference by using a different oil of the same grade other than price!
Old 16th February 2011, 19:42   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
The Mahindra Maximile is a co-branded oil from Shell AFAIK and is a good oil. Not necessary to worry about the same. There will be no difference by using a different oil of the same grade other than price!
Nope, Maximile is from the IOC stables, not Shell. It is clearly printed on the can itself.
Old 19th February 2011, 17:16   #565
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Not sure if I am asking the question in the right thread.

Have got my Swift D services today for its 20K Km service interval.

I have been religiously so far changing OIL and Filter every 5k Km.

The OIL was provided by me(Mobil Delvac MX) and today at the very first time we had filled exact 3.1L

As usual all appeared to be done as far as service goes and before handing over the car to me we took a test drive.

While on the table to discuss the total bill, I did not notice any part mentioned for the OIL Drain bolt.

Curious to make sure everything is done, I asked the service advisor and they informed that the tech forgot. But he assured me not to worry as since it was in good condition that could be the reason the tech didnt change it. However I have a good rapo with a service head and he said its mandatory to change that Bolt since it gets cracked.

Since I wanted whatever is recommended to be done, they agreed to remove the Old Bolt and add a new one.

This is how they did. They started the process of removing the Bolt while holding below a OIL Can with a funnel. They loosened it and as soon as he removed the Bolt the OIL started draining in the funnel and going to the Can. The technician quickly managed to fit the new Oil Drain Bolt. In this process about around 700ML of OIL had drained in the Can and a bit on his hands, but nothing outside this boundary.

We filled the same OIL collected in the Can into the engine and added about additional 5-10 ML to compensate what had drained on his hands. May be I might have added a bit less here.

I did not like all this tamasha, I am really worried about my Beast.

Could you techies tell me if this could hamper anything inside the engine, since we have refilled the same OIL again after the test drive.

Should I buy new OIL again and refill it ?

Any expert guidance would be highly appreciated, since I am going out of station on Monday taking my Beast, don't want it to have any issues.

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited by tush : 19th February 2011 at 17:17.
Old 19th February 2011, 18:27   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Should I buy new OIL again and refill it ?
No. Just check the dip stick to ensure the oil is within permissible limits.
Old 19th February 2011, 22:50   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FYI, Mobil Delvac MX is a CI-4 grade oil, not CH-4 grade.
Old 20th February 2011, 15:12   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
No. Just check the dip stick to ensure the oil is within permissible limits.

Thanks for the reply.

We did check the dip stick there itself and it showed a little above the Max limit.

--------
Another thing that I noticed and would like everyone who is buying Mobil Delvac MX to know this.

I had bought 3 one liter Bottles. I already had one more from my previous purchase.

The technician opened the first bottle and emptied in his two liter CAN that had a measurement scale to it already.

We noticed that the sealed bottle that we emptied has only 950ml and not 1000ml.

We emptied second bottle. And again 950ml. The third bottle too had only 950ml.

Looks like I was cheated by MOBIL. I got 50ml less for the price of 1000ml.

Those who are going to buy Mobil please do verify this while emptying the bottle and post your findings here.

Last edited by tush : 20th February 2011 at 15:14.
Old 20th February 2011, 17:44   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Thanks for the reply.

We did check the dip stick there itself and it showed a little above the Max limit.

--------
Another thing that I noticed and would like everyone who is buying Mobil Delvac MX to know this.

I had bought 3 one liter Bottles. I already had one more from my previous purchase.

The technician opened the first bottle and emptied in his two liter CAN that had a measurement scale to it already.

We noticed that the sealed bottle that we emptied has only 950ml and not 1000ml.

We emptied second bottle. And again 950ml. The third bottle too had only 950ml.

Looks like I was cheated by MOBIL. I got 50ml less for the price of 1000ml.

Those who are going to buy Mobil please do verify this while emptying the bottle and post your findings here.
Maybe the 2 litre can that the mechanic is using is not proper.Its highly unlikely that mobil would cheat 50 ml.cross check the measurement in another one liter can and see.
Old 20th February 2011, 17:57   #570
BHPian

In my quest for best diesel engine oil, I am proud to announce that I successfully sourced 10L Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 in NCR. Yes, you read it right! Now before I give more details, please do feel jealous for a moment . Price was 850/L and it's in two 5L cans. Should take care of next 3 oil changes. Oil is Jan 2011 manf. so should be okay to store for about 12-18 months. I am going to keep it in my bank locker, along with my wife's jewellery. I guess she can understand it's value too.

Now something which might be of interest to you. Through Exxonmobil, I got the phone number of Mobil distributor for NCR. Called him and asked for Delvac 1. He said, it's available with him and he can get it home delivered @850/L if qty is 10L or more. His name is Mandeep and contact number is 9811117819. He mentioned about limited availability though hence non availability on retail shops. If you need to source this, please do call him. I know I am sharing his number on a public forum, as I think it will help T-Bhpians as well as do good to his business. However, please if you do, be considerate to call him only on weekdays during normal business hours.

I also went to Batra Auto Parts at Ashram in Delhi for some spare part and though Delvac MX is not that difficult to source, but I saw 10 cans of 10L Delvac MX lying outside his shop. I asked and he said he always has atleast 100L of it in stock. So if you want have difficulty in sourcing it in NCR, please go there. His price is also lower than Noida. He quotes 1,150 for 5L while in Noida it's 1,300. His complete address and number is in a thread in Delhi NCR T-BHP directory.

I have no commercial association with any of these folks, I just hope this information helps fellow members.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks