Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 17:18   #1306
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
I am not able to find diesel specific synthetic engine oil, even on-line. Castrol edge 5w-40 is petrol specific (API- SN/CF) & is available with HASS here at a good price @ Rs 900/- a lit. HASS has also offered me to charge for 5.3 lit only what the car consumes. He has 3 no. of 4 lit. bottle in stock.

Has any one used Edge on diesel car & what's the advice? And what might be the effect when the oil is less than CH4 specification. I was surprised to find even Castrol Magnatec diesel oil is not CH4.

Thanks
Here you go

http://www.99rpm.com/fiat/mobil-delv...0-5-litre.html

http://www.autotrends.in/mobil-delva...il-5-ltrs.html

BTW , 5 liters is sufficient for Verna. 5.3 is not required. Even i20 Diesel requires 5.3 liters . But i have been using a 5ltr can with out any issues. With 5 lts the dipstick level cross F mark. So no need to worry
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2014, 17:44   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Here you go

BTW , 5 liters is sufficient for Verna. 5.3 is not required. Even i20 Diesel requires 5.3 liters . But i have been using a 5ltr can with out any issues. With 5 lts the dipstick level cross F mark. So no need to worry
Price quoted on 99rpm.com seems to be ok. How is their service if you have experienced. I would still be interested in knowing the performance of Edge in diesel cars. I am sure, some bhpians have used this oil in their diesel cars. If the performance difference between devlac & edge is marginal, I may go for Edge. In fact, on my order, local HASS has bought Edge, though I am not under compulsion to buy those. But if I do not buy Edge from HASS, they will be inconvenienced as the oil may not sell otherwise.

THanks
Old 14th September 2014, 18:57   #1308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Price quoted on 99rpm.com seems to be ok. How is their service if you have experienced. I would still be interested in knowing the performance of Edge in diesel cars. I am sure, some bhpians have used this oil in their diesel cars. If the performance difference between devlac & edge is marginal, I may go for Edge. In fact, on my order, local HASS has bought Edge, though I am not under compulsion to buy those. But if I do not buy Edge from HASS, they will be inconvenienced as the oil may not sell otherwise.

THanks
Fiat owners swear by the website.

Castrol edge does not meet the minimum requirements for your verna. Stay away from it.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 21:27   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

http://www.gscaltexindia.com/product_detail.aspx?PID=20

I'm not sure if it'll be easily available in Bangalore, but still, just FYI.

Cheers,
Vikram
Hello Vikram,
Wanted to check with you if you have any info about this oil availability in Bangalore. I am looking forward to use this in Safari.

thanks,
Old 13th October 2014, 22:34   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Hello Vikram, Wanted to check with you if you have any info about this oil availability in Bangalore. I am looking forward to use this in Safari
Hi,

Sorry! No idea about its availability in Bangalore. Maybe some forum members from there might know.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2014, 21:02   #1311
BHPian

Vista Quadrajet Oil query.

I have an Indica Vista Quadrajet that has run approximately 97,000 kms. The car has always used the Exxon Mobil Super 1000 TM 15w-40 mineral oil with changes at 7500-8000 kms. I would like to change to Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 post the 1,00,000 km mark.

Is it okay to switch to synthetics after like 97000 kms on mineral oil?

If okay, would an engine flush be required?

Last edited by petroguzzler : 14th October 2014 at 21:04.
Old 27th October 2014, 17:41   #1312
BHPian

Re: Vista Quadrajet Oil query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
I have an Indica Vista Quadrajet that has run approximately 97,000 kms. The car has always used the Exxon Mobil Super 1000 TM 15w-40 mineral oil with changes at 7500-8000 kms. I would like to change to Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 post the 1,00,000 km mark.

Is it okay to switch to synthetics after like 97000 kms on mineral oil?

If okay, would an engine flush be required?

If you are car has been running fine on mineral oil and if you were happy with it, then its better to stick to it.

You can try Mobil Delvac 15w40 which works very well with the 1.3 MJD. Ensure you change oil every 7500-8000 kms once post 1,00,000 km if you use mineral oil. This is to get a good engine life.
Old 27th October 2014, 19:01   #1313
BHPian

in my 4+ years, 1 Lac+ KM of Xylo E6 ownership, I had always used the M&M supplied oil, which was SERVO OEM. Earlier the MMASS used to pour Maximile, and then they migrated to FEO variant. Both oil match the specs as mentioned in the handbook - SAE 15W40 API CH-4. I have been replacing it every 10-12K KM (sometimes even at 8K KM), as opposed to the handbook saying of 20K KM !

I was in Vadodara few days back, the ODO was ~102K KM. Since I had some time in hand, thought of a task. Though very prematurely (~2500 KM), I decided to change the oil and selected the much praised Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 API CI-4. After hunting in many shops, I could locate only 1 ltr packs at the distributor himself, which he was kind enough to serve & offered in Rs.290 per pack. Took 7 packs and from another spares shop got the oil filter (Rs.150/-). With this raw material went to a local garage, which I knew of doing decent works.

All about diesel engine oils-front.jpg
All about diesel engine oils-back.jpg
All about diesel engine oils-oil-filter.jpg

It has been about 2K KM running on this MX oil, including another trip (yes!) to Vadodara n back. So far I havnt observed any significant changes in the vehicle feel, maybe the good work is internal initially!

regards,
Old 27th October 2014, 19:12   #1314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
If you are car has been running fine on mineral oil and if you were happy with it, then its better to stick to it.

You can try Mobil Delvac 15w40 which works very well with the 1.3 MJD. Ensure you change oil every 7500-8000 kms once post 1,00,000 km if you use mineral oil. This is to get a good engine life.
The car is mostly used by my dad and I use it occasionally. I wanted to switch over to synthetic only for extended engine life. Would a change to synthetic (Delvac 1 5w-40) after 1 lac kms on mineral oil (mostly Castrol GTX) do good or no?
Old 27th October 2014, 19:59   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
.....and from another spares shop got the oil filter (Rs.150/-). With this raw material went to a local garage, which I knew of doing decent works.
Is this the same filter that M&M ASCs use? Just asking 'cause my Scorpio is due for an oil change, and since it's out of warranty, am thinking of getting it done at a FNG in my neighbourhood.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2014, 23:49   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Is this the same filter that M&M ASCs use? Just asking 'cause my Scorpio is due for an oil change, and since it's out of warranty, am thinking of getting it done at a FNG in my neighbourhood.

Cheers,
Vikram
in the picture above you see is mentioned for usage on "Tata Sumo", but the shopkeeper confirmed me that it will surely fit in Xylo. The garage guy also confirmed, though the existing fitted one was very slightly bigger (very marginal) than this new one, but more important was the center hole where its fitted. Maybe there would be a different packing available for Xylo too.

I think the Xylo and Scorpio uses the same oil filter - MM Maxi Universal codename. ASC uses the MM branded (packed!) Mahle or Elofic OEM. Btw, Purolator is also a Mahle brand. http://www.mahlefiltersystemsindia.c...iew/index.aspx
You can pick any of these two company's filters.

OT: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net mentions different variants of filters, doubt they available in India ?

Last edited by pcpranav : 27th October 2014 at 23:54.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 15:20   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
The car is mostly used by my dad and I use it occasionally. I wanted to switch over to synthetic only for extended engine life. Would a change to synthetic (Delvac 1 5w-40) after 1 lac kms on mineral oil (mostly Castrol GTX) do good or no?
Honestly, I am not sure whether switching to synthetic after 1 lac kms will do good or bad. If I were you, I will stick to mineral oil and will try Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 observe results over 5000-8000 kms and then decide in between Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 or Castrol GTX 15w40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav
It has been about 2K KM running on this MX oil, including another trip (yes!) to Vadodara n back. So far I havnt observed any significant changes in the vehicle feel, maybe the good work is internal initially!
I have tried Mobil Delvac MX 15w40 on Bolero DI engine and have observed no major differences compared to Maximile. Infact i observed the mobil delvac becoming darker & thicker soon in my Bolero. So I stick to Maximile or Valvoline for my Bolero. Keep a watch and update us.
Old 28th October 2014, 15:33   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
in my 4+ years, 1 Lac+ KM of Xylo E6 ownership, I had always used the M&M supplied oil, which was SERVO OEM.
=========
regards,
At 1 lakh km difference will be very difficult to fathom over feel, if you really want to experiment then go back to OE oil and see if there is any difference

Quote:
Very honestly not really worth it, just stick to regular oil.. with regular changes. If the running is less, frequent change with mineral oil is anyday better compared to longer changes on synthetic. Moisture condensation to start with, being the reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie98 View Post
Infact i observed the mobil delvac becoming darker & thicker soon in my Bolero. So I stick to Maximile or Valvoline for my Bolero. Keep a watch and update us.
Oil darkening and thickening is a sign that it is doing its duty, these oils with higher detergent should work better and darken faster. If it stays clean longer means either you have a squeaky clean engine or a lazy engine oil.

Last edited by Jaggu : 28th October 2014 at 15:34.
Old 28th October 2014, 15:57   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
in my 4+ years, 1 Lac+ KM of Xylo E6 ownership, I had always used the M&M supplied oil, which was SERVO OEM. So far I havnt observed any significant changes in the vehicle feel, maybe the good work is internal initially!
Well I echo your findings if vehicle is well maintained and oil was changed regularly you won't find any dramatic improvements with an excellent oil.

May be spending money in engine mount replacements will give better results then spending on more frequent oil changes.

However this does not mean that we should switch back to lower grade OEM oil
a CI4+ oil has better viscosity then CH4 anyday and cost is nearly same so it's worth sticking to Delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4 over OEM CH4 oil
Old 28th October 2014, 16:10   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Oil darkening and thickening is a sign that it is doing its duty, these oils with higher detergent should work better and darken faster. If it stays clean longer means either you have a squeaky clean engine or a lazy engine oil.
I have heard from quite a number of people that Toyota Diesel engine oils don't darken.Is it true? Are they using any special filtration techniques or additives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks