Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2015, 12:35   #1456

re: All about diesel engine oils

Thank you dinu2506.

Yesterday I went out to few automobiles spares shops in my locality for checking the availability of the engine oils I've mentioned in my previous post. Mobil Delvac 1 was not available with any of them. Everyone had Shell Helix and Castrol GTX. Few said that they can source Mobil1 but it will take 2 or 3 days.

Today, I searched for Mobil1 dealers in Chennai and I found one VeeJay Motors in Velachery and I called them. They too don't have Mobil Delvac 1. They said that they have only 2 liters of "Mobil1 0W-40" in stock. And I was recommended "Mobil1 5W-50" which is available in plenty. A 4l can costs Rs.4700. Shall I settle for it?

I have few more doubts:
1. Is Mobil1 and Mobil Delvac different? I learned from Internet that they are products of ExxonMobil. Mobil1 is for passenger vehicles and Mobil Delvac is for commercial vehicles. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Mobil1 is 5W-50 and Mobil Delvac 1 is 5W-40. What big difference it will make in terms of engine performance?
Old 12th June 2015, 14:18   #1457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbalaji View Post
T
I have few more doubts:
1. Is Mobil1 and Mobil Delvac different? I learned from Internet that they are products of ExxonMobil. Mobil1 is for passenger vehicles and Mobil Delvac is for commercial vehicles. Please correct me if I am wrong.

2. Mobil1 is 5W-50 and Mobil Delvac 1 is 5W-40. What big difference it will make in terms of engine performance?
Mobil 1 is for petrol engines.The delvac series are for Diesel engines. Better stick to Delvac if you have a diesel car.
rakesh_r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 14:45   #1458

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Mobil 1 is for petrol engines.The delvac series are for Diesel engines. Better stick to Delvac if you have a diesel car.
The screenshot was taken from Mobil1's website. I will search for "Mobil Delvac 1" this evening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [URL="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/satish_tns.html"
satish_tns[/url]] Bhpians in chennai. Mobile delvac 1 is now available in Patel motors, Tambaram (near MEPZ). MRP was Rs.4400 and he was offering for Rs.4200.
Will try in Patel Motors that was previously mentioned in this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-mobil1.jpg  

Old 12th June 2015, 15:23   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I agree, Mobil 1 is for petrol engines. There are hardly any Diesel synthetic oils exceeding CH4 which is the minimum required. Mobil Delvac 1 is the one I know of which exceeds the prescribed rating. The easiest would be to go to 99rpm.com and order it online. I had a smooth experience with them.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 12th June 2015 at 15:24.
Old 12th June 2015, 15:26   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The screenshot was taken from Mobil1's website. I will search for "Mobil Delvac 1" this evening.

Will try in Patel Motors that was previously mentioned in this forum.
If you see, it clearly says this is for applications needing upto CF. Your car will require at least CH4 - please check your manual. This is met and exceeded by only Delvac 1. One thing is sure. You cannot go wrong with this oil, I can vouch for that
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2015, 16:08   #1461

I was about to ask you guys about the API Rating. I just googled and found this page: "http://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php". There it is mentioned CF as "Obsolete". Then why people are still selling it? I will check for availability of Mobil Delvac 1. Thank you dinu2506 and rakesh_r for opening my eyes

I too wish to change the oil filter. I have found the one as shown in the picture (this is not the actual image from my car). I suppose, I have to replace the filter cartridge. Which one to buy? I've not done any research on oil filters. so I will go with your suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-slideimage51630_wm.jpg  

Old 12th June 2015, 16:23   #1462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a
I too wish to change the oil filter. I have found the one as shown in the picture (this is not the actual image from my car). I suppose, I have to replace the filter cartridge. Which one to buy? I've not done any research on oil filters. so I will go with your suggestions.
The pic you have shown,seems to me of that of the Fiat Mjd.I dont know what type of oil filter the i20 diesel has.The thumb rule is when you change the oil,change the filter too.It's always better to buy from the HASS.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 12th June 2015 at 16:25.
Old 13th June 2015, 13:50   #1463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might be aware that all Hyundai Original parts are now available off the shelf from Advaith Mobis. If you have an outlet near your loaction, just walk in, give the VIN number of your vehicle and they will be able to identify parts which your car has. Oil filter cartridge can be procured based on that. Last couple of services on my Verna CRDI was done this way. Bought Air filter, Oil Filter and Diesel filter from Advaith Mobis. Also bought the front brake pads as the car had crossed 50000km. Bought 5 lit Mobil Delvac 1 online from 99rpm.com. Took to the car to my friendly neighbourhood workshop and got the service done while I waited. Around 1.5 hrs total.
Old 15th June 2015, 10:13   #1464

I managed to procure Mobil Delvac 1 (5 liter) from Patel Auto Works, Tambaram Sanatorium. It costs Rs.5000. He said that it is from the previous lot and the new lot cost Rs.5900.

All about diesel engine oils-wp_20150612_003.jpg

Came home and started working with my car. Tried to get under the vehicle and unbolt the Engine Oil Drain Plug. Cleaned the area around the bolt first.

All about diesel engine oils-wp_20150613_001.jpg

I've read in the forum and seen many videos on Youtube for instructions. Everywhere they mentioned that the bolt will come loose without much effort. I didn't have the wrench tool but used all the following tools and tried to loosen the bolt.

All about diesel engine oils-wp_20150613_002.jpg

To my dismay, the bolt is very reluctant to turn which resulted in this

All about diesel engine oils-wp_20150613_003.jpg

I didn't wish to do much damage. So I stopped and left it as such. As it was a weekend, I didn't find any workshops in my locality.

Torana Motors was nearby. Thought of calling a service guy from there on Saturday. But whenever I tried to contact them and ask for any service, I got a lethargic reply and the price quoted by them was way too high (I can't comment on them without actually getting a service done there). So today morning, I called HASS and asked them to send a service guy to look into this matter.

Will keep you posted on the advancements.
Old 15th June 2015, 12:03   #1465
BHPian

Quote:

Came home and started working with my car. Tried to get under the vehicle and unbolt the Engine Oil Drain Plug. Cleaned the area around the bolt first.

I've read in the forum and seen many videos on Youtube for instructions. Everywhere they mentioned that the bolt will come loose without much effort. I didn't have the wrench tool but used all the following tools and tried to loosen the bolt.
Always use a ring spanner or a socket to loosen the drain bolt. An open end spanner will slip easily and damage the bolt head.
Old 16th June 2015, 09:48   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by interc00led View Post
Always use a ring spanner or a socket to loosen the drain bolt. An open end spanner will slip easily and damage the bolt head.
Lesson learned. I have the sockets with a ratchet (interchangeable). But one size didn't fit the bolt and the next size was loose. Thats why I tried with open-ended spanners. BTW, the drain plug was too tight as if it was welded. Think the mechanic would have tightened it with electric spanner (or he had good muscle power) the last time the oil was drained and replaced @50000km.
Old 13th July 2015, 21:59   #1467
BHPian

I went for a 1150km trip just after the 60K service of my Ford Figo TDCI.
The engine felt very smooth and there was almost zero vibration prior to the trip but after the trip the engine has become very harsh and smoothness is gone. What could possibly be the reason for this?
Old 14th July 2015, 11:49   #1468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveear View Post
I went for a 1150km trip just after the 60K service of my Ford Figo TDCI.

The engine felt very smooth and there was almost zero vibration prior to the trip but after the trip the engine has become very harsh and smoothness is gone. What could possibly be the reason for this?

Did you get the engine oil flush done before replacing the oil ?
Old 14th July 2015, 14:05   #1469
BHPian

Gentlemen!

I'm about to give my new Hyundai elite i20 CRDi for its first free service.

I believe it will make sense if I get the oil & the filter changed during this service?

Do I need to consider shifting to synthetic oil after 10k kms?

Or should I stick with the manufacturer specified oil till warranty runs out?

Thanks & Cheers!
Old 14th July 2015, 14:10   #1470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
I'm about to give my new Hyundai elite i20 CRDi for its first free service.

I believe it will make sense if I get the oil & the filter changed during this service?
All depends on how things are given in the owners manual maintenance schedule. I suggest you to get the oil filter (mainly) and oil changed as the car is new.

Not sure what oil HASS uses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks