Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2015, 14:41   #1546
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Hello team,

I own a 2011 VW Polo TDI, VW recommends 5W30 Fully-Synthetic Engine oil for the TDi engine.
I was wondering if going the semi-synthetic route will do any damage to the engine.
While I agree that apart from price there might not be any other benefits, but for the cost of one fully-synthetic oil change I can do 3 semi-synthetic oil changes!

Any and all inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 1st December 2015, 18:16   #1547
BHPian

Help needed!

Car in question: Maurti Suzuki Wagon R 2004 model(1st generation)
Kilometers covered: 65000 km
Fuel used: Petrol
Service Center: Maruti Sales and Service(MSS) Naraina, Delhi: Maruti's biggest self operated service center

Oil used by MSS: 0W20

The question is how good or bad is it to use 0w20 oil in such an old generation car.
I raised the same question with MSS Service Advisor to which he showed me 10-12 other service bills of other cars(of similar vintage) being filled with 0w20.

I tried contacting Maruti's regional office at 011-46781000 and even they are not answering the question and evading it.

Any technical or experienced TBhpian please help me with this trouble.

Regards
Old 1st December 2015, 20:11   #1548
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Hello team,

I own a 2011 VW Polo TDI, VW recommends 5W30 Fully-Synthetic Engine oil for the TDi engine.
I was wondering if going the semi-synthetic route will do any damage to the engine.
While I agree that apart from price there might not be any other benefits, but for the cost of one fully-synthetic oil change I can do 3 semi-synthetic oil changes!

Any and all inputs will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I would suggest that you stick with the synthetic oil.

Semi synth may seem cheaper but you will have to change your oil that much more often.

While the official workshops sell oil at MRP i.e I think around 11-1200 per litre. Most of these oils with the manufacturer approval (eg. VW505) can be got outside for about 850 per litre.
Old 2nd December 2015, 16:56   #1549
BHPian

Hi Team,

I own Honda Mobilio iDtec. Planning to change engine oil. Honda authorized service centers do not use fully synthetic engine oils.

Can you experts advise which oil is more suitable for Honda Mobilio Diesel, Mobil Delvac 1 or Shell Helix 5W-40? Also, is it okay to buy them online, if not can you please suggest where I can source in Bangalore?

Many Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd December 2015, 21:03   #1550
BHPian

Even I have the same doubt. My Ecosport is due for service and the service centre is only offering semi synthetic.
The manual states that we can use any oil of matching grade though they "recommend" Castrol.
Is warranty at stake if I go in for oil of my choice but recommended grade? Please help me out team, especially, Ecosport owners.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Shreyak!
Old 9th December 2015, 01:45   #1551
BHPian

Hello All, I too have a query, My innova Diesel Model (2011) is due for an oil change, can anyone suggest which is the most suitable oil for the car.
Old 9th December 2015, 12:52   #1552
BHPian

Cross posting from the Ecosport thread:

So I had written to Ford regarding my oil change concern and today I got a call from them stating that "They only recommend Semi-synthetic oil" and using "Synthetic oil will void my warranty. "

The other day I had contacted another dealer which was stocking Synthetic oil which he claimed to have received from Ford only. I reported the same to them and they said that it's not possible and they will check with tat very dealer why they are using Synthetic oil.

Team, what should I do in this case? Is it true that we cannot use pure synthetic in Ecosport? The reason that their customer care adviser gave me was that they have tested Ecosport only with Semi-Synthetic oil and not with Synthetic so they cannot recommend the latter. I am confused on what to do. The traffic conditions in my city and the kind of abuse my vehicle is going through seriously warrants the use of Synthetic oil. Please suggest me a solution to my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shreyak
Old 12th December 2015, 20:27   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Hello Fellow Bhpians,
I want to know about the Diesel Engine Oils meeting ACEA B4 Specifications for our Elite i20 Asta.
Experts please suggest the Engine Oils available that meet the above specifications.

EDIT
I Don't Trust ASCs regarding this.
Our Xylo has completed 250000+ kms without Engine Overhaul thanks to use of Engine Oil from Sealed Containers only (During Warranty Period- M&M Oils and Post Warranty- Gulf Max TD, Shell, GS Caltex, etc) inspite of Roughly Driven by MANY Drivers.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 12th December 2015 at 20:35. Reason: As above.
Old 12th December 2015, 21:15   #1554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Hello Fellow Bhpians,

I want to know about the Diesel Engine Oils meeting ACEA B4 Specifications for our Elite i20 Asta.

Experts please suggest the Engine Oils available that meet the above specifications.

EDIT

I Don't Trust ASCs regarding this.

Our Xylo has completed 250000+ kms without Engine Overhaul thanks to use of Engine Oil from Sealed Containers only (During Warranty Period- M&M Oils and Post Warranty- Gulf Max TD, Shell, GS Caltex, etc) inspite of Roughly Driven by MANY Drivers.

i20 diesel needs API CH4 and above. Has the specification changed in elite i20?
Old 12th December 2015, 21:21   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Gear Oil of API SAE 70W GL-4 other than HMIL available in open market?

Sorry Escaped the Edit Window by couple of minutes.

I know its Off-Topic, Mods please move it to relevant thread if required.

Hyundai recommends API Service GL-4, SAE 70W (Hyundai Genuine Transaxle Fluid). Any Third Party Gear Oil other than the HMIL available? If so, please suggest.
I am asking because I doubt ASC using HMIL oil during Service.
Old 13th December 2015, 08:51   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
i20 diesel needs API CH4 and above. Has the specification changed in elite i20?
The Exact API SAE rating is not given.
i20 owners must be aware that there is Bar Chart indicating Ambient Temp. and corresponding xWy Grade Engine Oil to be used.
Other than this, there is mention of that for Diesel Engine Oil should meet ACEA B4.
Old 14th December 2015, 10:26   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihkhan View Post
Hello All, I too have a query, My innova Diesel Model (2011) is due for an oil change, can anyone suggest which is the most suitable oil for the car.
I would not look anything other than the one Toyota uses.It's the best for the their engines. If you are hard bent on changing the brand you can have a look at the Mobil Delvac MX (mineral) or Mobil Delvac 1 (full synthetic).
Old 14th December 2015, 15:21   #1558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I would not look anything other than the one Toyota uses.It's the best for the their engines. If you are hard bent on changing the brand you can have a look at the Mobil Delvac MX (mineral) or Mobil Delvac 1 (full synthetic).
So you suggest i get the oil changed at the Toyota Authorized service center? I am not planning to get the vehicle serviced anyday soon? I was just planning to changing the oil
Old 26th December 2015, 11:13   #1559
BHPian

queries :

is it OK to mix oils from different companies, but common 15w40 grade (some are CH4, CI4, CI4+) ?

how is the Mak Platinum Plus (15w40 CI4) ?

vehicle is Xylo (140K KM, last few times used Delvac MX, Shell Rimuma R4)
Old 26th December 2015, 12:52   #1560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
queries :

is it OK to mix oils from different companies, but common 15w40 grade (some are CH4, CI4, CI4+) ?

vehicle is Xylo (140K KM, last few times used Delvac MX, Shell Rimuma R4)
Never mix engine oils, unless same brand, same grade and same rating.

Drain out the old oil and fill up with fresh if changing brands, grades or rating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks