Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2016, 16:57   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I was thinking of using mobil delvac 1 in my Sx4 deisel. It is not available with local dealer. Is www.99rpm.com trustworthy? I asked Mobil's India helpline about 99rpm. They are telling that this website is not an authorised seller for mobil engine oils. Called up 99rpm's customer care. They are just telling that oils are genuine and that they cannot answer more questions regarding this.
I have ordered Delvac 1 from 99rpm multiple times and didn't face any issues regarding the authenticity of the product.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 14:52   #1607
BHPian

Serviced my Ritz Vdi at the Maruti Dealership yesterday. The Oil used was MGDO Mobil Super 5W40. Asked the advisor for the spec of the Oil , but all he was aware was 5W40. But I wanted to know if it had the grade that Maruti specified in the manual. Maruti specifies

Quote:
Be sure that the engine oil you use comes
under the quality classification of ACEA B3.
Select the appropriate oil viscosity according
to the above chart.
The recommended Engine Oil is CG
5W-40, API -CG4 or above.

This is the label on the drum from which the oil was filled.

Label only specifies " Meets the requirements of API SM/SL"
This information is hardly of use for Diesel Engines. It is mainly a Petrol Engine Spec.

Looked around for more information and found the Retail Pack on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-5W-.../dp/B00SIXYHS2

While there is no worthwhile information on the wholesale drum the retail pack specifies it as meeting requirements of API SM/SL and also Fiat 9.55535-N2 and API CF.

Now API CF is a grade lower than the Maruti specification of CG 5W-40, API -CG4.
Also there is no mention of ACEA B3.

But there is the FIAT spec of Fiat 9.55535-N2.
A quick search on www.oilspecifications.org states that
Quote:
Fiat 9.55535-N2
Qualification for lubricants with a very good characteristics for turbocharged engines, Diesel and gasoline, with extended drain. Minimum requirement is ACEA A3/B4-04.
This put me at ease assuming the oil in the retail pack and the wholesale pack is the same.

Looking at the Mobil India website and assuming that the MGDO oil is baically the Mobil Super 3000x2 (since this is the only grade that is similar) also confirm my above assumtion.
http://www.mobil.co.in/AP-English-LC...-x2-5w40.aspx#
Here, in addition, to many other requirements it states that it meets the requirement of
ACEA ---A3/B3,A3/B4. This further put me at ease.

But what baffles me it that why Mobil cannot put the full specification on their Wholesale can and also specify the ACEA specs!!
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-mobil-super-mgdo-5w40.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-mobil-super-mgdo-5w40-retail-pack-front.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-mobil-super-mgdo-5w40-retails-pack-back.jpg  

Old 11th August 2016, 16:03   #1608
BHPian

Mobil India's technical desk replies to my question about Mobil delvac 1 5w40.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-picsart_081007.59.09.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20160809230504.png  

Old 25th August 2016, 04:38   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
I find this reply from Mobil help desk very interesting.

Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40* has specs that are meant for heavy duty truck diesel engines.

Even the ACEA “E3/B4” spec that you asked them the question on is nowhere to be found on the spec sheet.

Delvac 5W-40 meets ACEA E3/E5 that corresponds to API-CG-4/CF-4/CF and ACEA E7/E4 spec that corresponds to API CI 4 Plus/CI/CH 4.

ACEA define “E” series specs as meant for heavy duty class (i.e., truck diesel engines).

ACEA defines “A/B” series specs meant for passenger car motor oils. Your question was clearly around that (A3/B4). The “C” series specs are meant for engines requiring catalyst compatability.

My suggestion would be to use Mobil Super 3000 X2 5W40 (if you’re keen on using Mobil) that meets ACEA “A3/B4” specs. Mobil Super range is designed primarily for light duty engines such as those found on passenger cars.

*Information source: Mobil website
Old 7th September 2016, 21:47   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It says Mineral Oil in the description. Its a hydrocracked oil, and is good.

Even I considered it last time but since Selenia is Semi-Synth, I thought why go for Mineral when FIAT themselves recommend a decent oil at similar price.

This time I'm considering Mobil1 Delvac 0W40 Fully Synthetic as I've found my Linea has a louder engine note even with Selenia Semi-Synth.

Although the 0W40 grade is not necessary for our tropical climate, the oil itself is famous for its quality & life.

So, lets see.

I found it available only on Amazon, do let me know if you find it with some offer.
Old 13th September 2016, 11:50   #1611

Dear all. I have a 2014 Swift ZDi which has run 60K Kms. I was in market recently for change to synthetic oil. After going through multiple threads I had decided on Mobile Delvac -1 ( 5W40). Also research on Team- BHP revealed Raka oil to be a good source for knowing authorised dealer. I went personally @ Raka Oil in Chinchwad and indeed was promptly attended by a assistant there. However I was informed that Mobil Delvac is for truck use and not to be used in automobiles. Indeed when I went to the dealer I was given following options:
1. Shell Helix Ultra ( 5W40)
2. Mobil 1 ESP Formula (5W30)
3. Mobil Super, MGDO(5W40)
I opted for Mobil Super MGDO ( 5W40) since that felt to be the safest bet. Also Shell Helix was almost twice costlier than Mobil Super MGDO. I am attaching photos for benefit of others. I have following questions for pundits on forum:
1. Can Mobil Delvac-1 be used in automobiles?
2. What is meant by MGDO, does it mean that oil is specially made for the said engine or is it simply endorsed as a marketing gimmick/ to share profit?
3. Which would be the best oil for my Swift( ZDI)? I want something which would keep engine in good condition and also be smooth to use.
4. Shell costs a lot when compared to Mobile. Does it mean it is better oil ?Or is it because Maruti has endorsed Mobil its cost was cut down as it will get more volume due to it being a Maruti Genuine oil?
Old 13th September 2016, 12:05   #1612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGTILLDEATH View Post
Dear all. I have a 2014 Swift ZDi which has run 60K Kms.
2. What is meant by MGDO, does it mean that oil is specially made for the said engine or is it simply endorsed as a marketing gimmick/ to share profit?
3. Which would be the best oil for my Swift( ZDI)? I want something which would keep engine in good condition and also be smooth to use.
4. Shell costs a lot when compared to Mobile. Does it mean it is better oil ?Or is it because Maruti has endorsed Mobil its cost was cut down as it will get more volume due to it being a Maruti Genuine oil?
I have a Swift Zdi which is due for 60k service as well and I've opted to go with Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 after trying out Castrol edge and Shell Helix. I think MGDO oil is a semi-synthetic option and many have had good things to say about it.

I opted for Delvac 1, since I found it to the best as per my experience, even after a few months the engine remained smooth and delivered good efficiency.

Afaik, Mobil Delvac 1 is safe to use in swift diesels.
Old 13th September 2016, 12:08   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGTILLDEATH View Post
I opted for Mobil Super MGDO ( 5W40) since that felt to be the safest bet. Also Shell Helix was almost twice costlier than Mobil Super MGDO. I am attaching photos for benefit of others. I have following questions for pundits on forum:
You can go ahead and use Delvac 1 without any issues. I dont see any specific reason as to why one cant use it in small Diesel Engines. In fact, I had used the same on my 2010 Swift Diesel for close to 50K without any issues.
MGDO stands for Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil

Last edited by Aditya : 25th September 2016 at 08:34. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 13th September 2016, 13:08   #1614

@Shashank :
Mobil super 1 has "Fully Synthetic" written on it. I am posting the photograph of same for benefit of others and also of the other options whuch were showed to me.All about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752156.953368.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752193.418163.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752234.190263.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752252.342752.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752270.659571.jpgAll about diesel engine oils-imageuploadedbyteambhp1473752285.811434.jpg
Old 20th September 2016, 00:21   #1615
BHPian

Hello fellow bhpians. this topic has been asked before , so hopefully mine would be the last word on this

I have a ciaz 1.3 diesel that is due for its 30k km service,completed in 1.8 years!. I wanted to use full synthetic oil this time since the car is driven alot and was greatly confused between mobil delvac, mobil 1 and super 3000 series.For now am not interested in shell or elf/total since have heard only good things from mobil.
The Ciaz manual recommends oil grade 5w30 and ACEA A5/B5. The only oil that matches this is the mobil super 3000 x1 formul FE 5w30.

I read almost every page on this thread and people have recommended to use the delvac 1 5w40 even though its mentioned as heavy duty truck oil with ACEA E7/E4. I couldnt find this oil being used on small diesel engines world wide and some people on another thread had issues with this oil on their Swift diesel, but it happened 5 years back and could be due to duplicates ?? hence my skepticism.

The oil used by maruti for my ciaz 10k and 20k as per the details printed on the bill are:
10k servicing---"5w40 (mobil oil) SX4D"
cost:568/liter

20k servicing----"5w30 castrol professional diesel"
cost: 488/liter

I have no clue what type and specification oil has been used. For the 30k servicing,I will ask the service guys before getting my own oil if they allow it or not, but looking at the way the blatantly use 5w30 n 5w40 whenever they please, shouldn't taker much to convince them.

So finally which of these 3 should i choose?

1. mobil super 3000 x1 formul FE 5w30, it matches the recommended specification in the manual, but read the 3000 series is made from slightly lower grade then the mobil 1/ delvac 1 and also will have to hunt for stock.

2. Mobil delvac 1 5w40(black color can). its available for 4500 for 5l at a local distributor but its old stock. Skeptical if maruti service will allow it without voiding warranty since its mentioned for trucks. If feedback is positive , will get it from 99rpm.

3. Safe bet, use Mobil Super MGDO 5W-40,it seems to be a rebadged version of the Mobil Super™ 3000 X2 5W-40 and its recommended by maruti and available locally but doesn't meet specifications as well.

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 20th September 2016 at 00:22.
Old 22nd September 2016, 00:02   #1616
BHPian

Hello everyone, what would be the best engine oil for my diesel Nissan Micra? It has run 83500 kms. I've mailed Nissan India customer care enquiring the same and they asked me to contact the nearest dealer. On contacting one of the dealers in Kolkata, they told me that they use 10w30 grade engine oil. The maintenance booklet suggest a1/b1 or a5/b5 rated engine oil and recommends 5w30 but I couldn't find a 10W30 or a 5w30 grade with that rating in the internet. Moreover while searching for this I found out that 10w30 grade is primarily a gasoline engine oil.
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:04   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
Hello everyone, what would be the best engine oil for my diesel Nissan Micra? It has run 83500 kms. I've mailed Nissan India customer care enquiring the same and they asked me to contact the nearest dealer. On contacting one of the dealers in Kolkata, they told me that they use 10w30 grade engine oil. The maintenance booklet suggest a1/b1 or a5/b5 rated engine oil and recommends 5w30 but I couldn't find a 10W30 or a 5w30 grade with that rating in the internet. Moreover while searching for this I found out that 10w30 grade is primarily a gasoline engine oil.
A 5W30 Engine Oil would be better for you. What is the API Grade mentioned/ recommended by the manufacturer ? That will determine the characteristic of the Oil being Mineral/ Semi-Synthetic/ Fully-Synthetic. Please check the Owner's Manual for the same.

Usually 5W30 Engine Oils will be available in abundance in your nearest retail lube outlet, if not online. Just that you will have to hunt and decide for the best suited one for you based on your past experience and your brand preference. Since, you are based in Kolkata, I would recommend you to use a Semi-Synthetic Oil considering the weather conditions here. With respect to my observations and readings I have found them to perform better in our kind of climate over mineral & fully synthetic oils.

Note : 10W30 if used in Diesel Vehicles, will have to be replaced at shorter intervals. It is more of a Petrol Engine Oil. May be that's the reason why a lot of Service Centers resolve to use 10W30 on All Cars so that they can keep the customer footfall coming
AJ-got-BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2016, 21:49   #1618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
A 5W30 Engine Oil would be better for you.
Thanks AJ for the info.
Quote:
What is the API Grade mentioned/ recommended by the manufacturer ? That will determine the characteristic of the Oil being Mineral/ Semi-Synthetic/ Fully-Synthetic. Please check the Owner's Manual for the same.
ACEA B1/B5 is mentioned in the manual, no API rating is given. I got a reply from one of the dealer that they use 10w30, most probably from Shell and it is mineral because they charge Rs 275/litre .
Quote:
Since, you are based in Kolkata, I would recommend you to use a Semi-Synthetic Oil considering the weather conditions here. With respect to my observations and readings I have found them to perform better in our kind of climate over mineral & fully synthetic oils.
Since my car has run 83600+ kms on 10w30 (mineral most probably), I am a bit sceptical of using fully synthetics such as Mobil ESP 5w30 or Mobil 1 0w40 or Delvac 1 5w40. Could you please recommend any product and brand in particular? I'm planning to switch to 5000-6000 kms oil change interval from the earlier 10k kms that I've followed during the warranty period, which ended two months back. I've been noticing for the last 2 years that after running for 4-5000 kms after a service, the engine becomes noisy and a bit too much around 8000.
Old 4th October 2016, 08:33   #1619
BHPian

Posting in this thread too: AMAZON lightning sale ongoing for SHELL HELIX HX7.

http://www.amazon.in/Shell-550031432...=sr_1_4&sr=8-4

I bought for 1088/- instead of 1627/-. Offer coming very frequently. LIVE now.
Old 4th October 2016, 08:50   #1620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupdeb View Post
or Delvac 1 5w40. Could you please recommend any product and brand in particular? I'm planning to switch to 5000-6000 kms oil change interval from the earlier 10k kms that I've followed during the warranty period, which ended two months back. I've been noticing for the last 2 years that after running for 4-5000 kms after a service, the engine becomes noisy and a bit too much around 8000.
After about 80,000km it is normal for the clearances of the sleave bearings of the crankshaft to increase minutely and hence your best choice would be the Delvac 5W40 synthetic, but if you are going to change it frequently good quality 10W40 will also do.

If you have tuned your vehicle for more torque then stick to synthetic.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks