Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2017, 13:39   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Difference in Drain Intervals between BSIII Xylo and BS IV Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
The oil that you’re using currently is an excellent product so no worries on that front however I must mention here that the current API spec for diesel engine oils is CJ-4 ( currently transitioning to CK-4/FA-4 effective December 1st, 2016).
Can oils with rating of CJ4 or higher be used with Indian diesel. As you mention the sulfur quantity is extremely high 330 ppm instead of 15.

Rahul
Old 19th January 2017, 14:46   #1637
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
There are umpteen number of CH4 available in the market
I own a Ford Aspire TDCi. Ford recommends use of 5W 30 semi-synthetic engine oil meeting ACEA A5/B5 specification.

Can you all recommend me a good engine oil meeting the abovementioned specification.
Old 19th January 2017, 20:42   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ-got-BHP View Post
There are umpteen number of CH4 available in the market; to name a few :
  • Shell - Rimula CH4
  • Mobil - MGDO available
  • Elf - 3D CH4
  • Castrol - RX Super Max
  • MAK (BPCL)
  • SERVO (IOCL)

All these brands have a CH4 oil to meet your requirements. Just that you will have to hunt a bit for it. FYI - The CH4 will be a mineral oil and not a Semi or a Fully Synthetic Oil by any chance. If some brand claims a CH4 to be Synthetic, understand that it is a marketing gimmick and nothing else.

Hope this helps !!
Thanks, Arav. Ironically there is no oil that I have come across that adheres to CH-4 as well as B4 for API and ACEA respectively. Does that mean that we could map to either of the institutes? IF yes, that also means dishonoring what the manual says in other way.
You're right there doesn't appear to be any fully synthetic ( Barring Mobil Delvac 1 ) that is CH-4 compliant. Interestingly Delvac 1 is ACEA E9, and I am not sure if E9 and B4 could be replaced eith each other on ACEA mapping...
Old 20th January 2017, 16:00   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster View Post
Ironically there is no oil that I have come across that adheres to CH-4 as well as B4 for API and ACEA respectively.
Please go through the post at below link-
Shell Helix Diesel HX5 AZ is API 15W40 CH4 as well as ACEA B3/B4 compliant
The Shell Helix Diesel HX5 AZ Engine Oil is API 15W40 CH4 and ACEA B3/B4 compliant.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 17:37   #1640
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
Please go through the post at below link-
Shell Helix Diesel HX5 AZ is API 15W40 CH4 as well as ACEA B3/B4 compliant
The Shell Helix Diesel HX5 AZ Engine Oil is API 15W40 CH4 and ACEA B3/B4 compliant.
Great! Thanks!

+This still appears to be a mineral oil. A verna has a DPF ( and so does an i20 ), and owing to the fact, it needs to comply to ACEA-C3 ( not just B4 ).

+Would you be aware of a purely synthetic or a synthetic base that meets the compliances?

+Is delvac 1 Okay? It is CH-4 compliant, and is available in SAE 5W50, and is ACEA E4/7 compliant.

Thanks - VIG
Old 21st January 2017, 20:54   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Elite i20 and Verna might not have DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avigster
This still appears to be a mineral oil. A verna has a DPF ( and so does an i20 ), and owing to the fact, it needs to comply to ACEA-C3 ( not just B4 ).
I searched the Term- Particulate Filter in T-Bhp Official Reviews using Advanced Search Tool. But I did not get Elite i20 or Verna Reviews in Results. Does this mean Verna and i20 don't have DPF?

Also our Elite i20 Owners Manual mentions that Engine Oil should meet ACEA B4 specification. So I guess our Elite i20 might not have DPF.

If you want more details of ACEA specifications go through the article at below link-
ACEA Oil Specifications
Old 24th January 2017, 00:14   #1642
BHPian

Re: Elite i20 and Verna might not have DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
I searched the Term- Particulate Filter in T-Bhp Official Reviews using Advanced Search Tool. But I did not get Elite i20 or Verna Reviews in Results. Does this mean Verna and i20 don't have DPF?

Also our Elite i20 Owners Manual mentions that Engine Oil should meet ACEA B4 specification. So I guess our Elite i20 might not have DPF.

If you want more details of ACEA specifications go through the article at below link-
ACEA Oil Specifications
Appears that Hyundai recommends mineral 15w40 and Snythetic 5W30. Remains to be a concept on why the grades would be different. In addition, HMIL has tied up with Servo and Shell only...

Hyundai Servo CRDi Premium Engine Oil
Approved By Hyundai Motors India Ltd. as Genuine Diesel Engine Oil for CRDi engines. Meets SAE 15W-40 & OEM requirements. Long engine life and low operating & maintenance costs. Superior all-weather perfromance. Excellent sludge control and extra wear protecion at high temperature and severe operating conditions. Excellent engine protection. Extended drain interval. Suitable for BS III engines.

Hyundai Servo Synth Plus 5W-30
Recommended Genuine Synthetic Engine oil for all Hyundai Petrol and Diesel vehicles. Meets ACEA A5/B5, API SN and OEM specifications. Formulated with fully synthetic PAO (Poly Alfa Olefins) and High performance additives to provide highest oxidation and chemical stability and very low consumption. Keeps the Engine clean and provides outstanding wear protection at both low and high operating temperatures. Suitable for meeting latest Emission norms and protecting after treatment devices.

ref:https://www.servo.in/user/findProduct?cid=1&sid=1
Old 27th January 2017, 04:58   #1643
BHPian

Re: Difference in Drain Intervals between BSIII Xylo and BS IV Elite i20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Can oils with rating of CJ4 or higher be used with Indian diesel. As you mention the sulfur quantity is extremely high 330 ppm instead of 15.

Rahul
Sorry for the delay Rahul.

I'm not sure whether oils with API spec higher or even equal to CJ-4 are available in India yet, the reason being that most of the Indian/Korean or Japanese engines that are being sold in India currently do not require this spec (Europeans have their own specification system i.e., ACEA).

Additionally as you mentioned with such high sulfur ppm count in Indian diesel, I'm not sure if using a API CJ-4 spec oil will not do anything extra for your engine. API CF-4/FA-4 are just about launched in North America and even here no one is switching over to these oils in a hurry.

Please also note that using an engine oil of a higher specification (and I don't mean synthetics, you can and should use synthetics) will not give you any appreciate advantage than if you used an engine oil recommended by your OEM just as using 97 octane petrol in car that requites 87 Octane will not be beneficial (this is contrary to what most people believe but it is true).

My suggestion is to use a full synthetic oil within the viscosity range specified by your OEM as long as it meets the API/ACEA/any other spec. recommended by the OEM.

Hope this helps.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 12:35   #1644
BHPian

Our Brezza due for servicing in a months time. I don't want to use the castrol oils that they provide. Will they allow me to use my own oil that I procured from elsewhere?

Any Brezza owners here who did the same?
Old 13th February 2017, 16:09   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Our Brezza due for servicing in a months time. I don't want to use the castrol oils that they provide. Will they allow me to use my own oil that I procured from elsewhere?

Any Brezza owners here who did the same?
It depends on the individual SA that your assigned to. For my diesel ciaz's 30k servicing i switched over to my own oil ( Mobil delvac 1) . The Service advisor was only interested if the oil follows the grade recommended.This was at Sai service Verna.

Speak to one of the SA before buying the oil or try a different service center.

For my ciaz, they used castrol semi synthetic 5W30 for one service, and once they used Mobil 5W40. So I guess they shouldn't create a ruckus since they themselves use whatever they have in stock,rather than specific diesel only oils

Which oil have you procured already?
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:17   #1646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
It depends on the individual SA that your assigned to. For my diesel ciaz's 30k servicing i switched over to my own oil ( Mobil delvac 1) . The Service advisor was only interested if the oil follows the grade recommended.This was at Sai service Verna.

Speak to one of the SA before buying the oil or try a different service center.

For my ciaz, they used castrol semi synthetic 5W30 for one service, and once they used Mobil 5W40. So I guess they shouldn't create a ruckus since they themselves use whatever they have in stock,rather than specific diesel only oils

Which oil have you procured already?
Another Goan
Castro Semi Synthetic 5w30 would be Magnatec. Most service centers use Castrol. Mobil is also having a tie up with Maruti but the oil isn't as good as the one available on Amazon as per the extensive reviews I read on multiple sites. Our dealer Aryaman Sai doesn't have any other oil. Only Castrol. I don't know how good the Castrol Edge would be. Pretty sure there are better oils than it. I guess yours was out of warranty when you used your own oil. Did you find an improvement with Delvac 1?
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:33   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Another Goan
Castro Semi Synthetic 5w30 would be Magnatec. Most service centers use Castrol. Mobil is also having a tie up with Maruti but the oil isn't as good as the one available on Amazon as per the extensive reviews I read on multiple sites. Our dealer Aryaman Sai doesn't have any other oil. Only Castrol. I don't know how good the Castrol Edge would be. Pretty sure there are better oils than it. I guess yours was out of warranty when you used your own oil. Did you find an improvement with Delvac 1?
Authorised service centres stock oils which give them maximum margins, not the oils that are best for your engines. When you talk about Mobil, there are VARIOUS grades at different price levels.
I source my Mobil oils from the main distributor for Karnataka.
If interested, please PM me, I can share contact details.
I would not recommend online purchase of items as critical as lubricants!
Old 1st March 2017, 15:44   #1648
BHPian

Hi,
Just I was reading this page, and saw query regarding CJ-4 use in India vehicles.
Next I opened another browser to G-search for some Mobil Delvac oil, and landed on this page : https://mobildelvac.com/en/engine-oi...l-delvac-1-esp (its a 15w40 CK4!).

Frankly, I again mentally recited the alphabet (A, B, C, and then H, I, J, K!). The latest is CK4 category, some information found at Link1 & Link2

regards,
Old 1st March 2017, 16:45   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another Goan
Castrol Magnatec is not even CH4 grade which most CRDI Diesel Engines need
it may be good oil for petrols and older diesels. However there is a lot of marketing push and lots of local mechanics just push megnatec

Castrol GTX is mineral CI4 and Castrol EDGE is Synthetic oil for CRDI engines.
Old 2nd March 2017, 20:54   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Castrol Magnatec is not even CH4 grade which most CRDI Diesel Engines need
it may be good oil for petrols and older diesels. However there is a lot of marketing push and lots of local mechanics just push megnatec

Castrol GTX is mineral CI4 and Castrol EDGE is Synthetic oil for CRDI engines.
By default they use Castrol Magnatec. So this practice is wrong is wrong you mean. What is CH4? Rated by which institute? Can you please explain.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks