Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 08:02   #1576
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Anyone been able to get their hands on Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40?
I think you should be able to source it from 99rpm.com
auto_enthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 17:07   #1577
Senior - BHPian

Need your help bhpians !
I took my dads Beat to office after a long time. Saw that the engine is just too harsh and there was a lot of vibration felt on the clutch when pressed a little. Clearly a sign of engine oil change. The vibrations got so bad after a while that I took the car a Shell pump on my way to office.

They gave me a Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 oil. Its written 'For Petrol, diesel and CNG/LPG engines' and 'Fully Synthetic Motor oil' Specifications 'API SN/CF ACEA A3/B4'.

I looked at the manual at it says 5W30 ACEA A3/B4. I was not convinced with the oil rating but the garage guy said its okay to have 5W40 instead of 5W30 if the car is usually not high revving (my dad drives extremely sedate) and climate doesn't change that badly in Pune compared to say Delhi. I went ahead and changed. The last oil change was approx. 8000 kms back but the oil look extremely black (most diesel engine oils do). It sure needed replacement.

The ride back home was super smooth, the clutch vibrations gone and the car eagerly revvs to 3500 rpm again noise is there but sounds better. But I guess that is expected of a brand new engine oil. What I dont know is whether there will be any long term problems with the 5W40 and a generic fully synthetic oil for both petrol or diesel engines. I bought 4 cans of 1 litre 1285 INR each. The fourth has some oil left as Beat takes about 3.8 litre.

Off topic: Also note that the oil filter of Beat diesel is different than Maruti DDiS 1.3/Tata Quadrajet/ Fiat engines, though the Beat diesel is an offspring of Fiat multijet.
Old 11th March 2016, 10:09   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
What I dont know is whether there will be any long term problems with the 5W40 and a generic fully synthetic oil for both petrol or diesel engines.
It does no harm at all. Infact it helps you get the best performance out of your car and gives it a amazing life and engine performance.

Nothing to worry here. You certainly made a good decision before the summer starts and got the best your car can get in India from Shell. Enjoy the smooth ride.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 19:18   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
It does no harm at all.
Thanks ! It was rather impulsive the oil change.The car was running too bad as my dad is not that observant. Its the first time I did an oil change outside of authorised service center and specifications so a little apprehensive. I will update the thread with my experience. But there is a world of difference at least that is what I can make from the initial 20 kilometers I drove.

The ACEA A3/B4 standard suggests this grade of oil does not guarantee an increase in mileage but is used for normal operations and maximum oil change intervals with better cleaning properties.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2016 at 19:57. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 14th March 2016, 09:36   #1580
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2016 at 08:05.
prithm is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2016, 23:25   #1581
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone been able to get their hands on Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40?
I got this today from a store in Chennai. Let me know if you are still are hunting for it.
thenomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2016, 23:38   #1582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomad View Post
I got this today from a store in Chennai. Let me know if you are still are hunting for it.
Actually, I had suggested it to a friend of mine here in Bombay. Its available in Pune but I'll look for it here and update.
Old 14th March 2016, 23:52   #1583
BHPian

Friends,

Can we use Motul Xcess 8100 on Fiat Punto MJD?
I checked the Motul bottle and it mentions Fiat recommendation N2.
Also, seems like Motul Motor Oils are hybrid which can be used for Petrol and Diesel.

Any inputs please help.
Old 15th March 2016, 00:17   #1584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
Friends,

Can we use Motul Xcess 8100 on Fiat Punto MJD?
I checked the Motul bottle and it mentions Fiat recommendation N2.
Also, seems like Motul Motor Oils are hybrid which can be used for Petrol and Diesel.

Any inputs please help.
Its a petrol engine oil. I've used it in my Alto. Look for a diesel engine specific oil like the Delvac line from Mobil.
Old 15th March 2016, 15:16   #1585
BHPian

Not just for petrol. Motul Xcess 8100 5W40 can be used for gasoline and diesel engines.
Can someone who has used in diesel engines provide any feedback. Would be helpful.
Old 15th March 2016, 15:49   #1586
BANNED

I may add that my old friend (until he got banned) Gurkha always espoused the theory that by and large diesel specific oils were superior to petrol specific oils. I have respect for him, and will go along!
Old 15th March 2016, 23:03   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I may add that my old friend (until he got banned) Gurkha always espoused the theory that by and large diesel specific oils were superior to petrol specific oils. I have respect for him, and will go along!
I've noticed that when the oil is diesel specific, its ratings for petrol are the older ones usually and vice versa.
Old 16th March 2016, 10:01   #1588
BANNED

Quote:
I've noticed that when the oil is diesel specific, its ratings for petrol are the older ones usually and vice versa.
Very true. What he meant was that due to tougher conditions Diesel oils are better engineered that the petrol equivalents, and are more durable.

Take my own case, Honda specifies API-SL for the Civic, their Synth is SM and today SN is freely available. I stick to the OE and do not bother about the M or N. This is all with Petrol oils. So as long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the specs do not bother.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:00   #1589
BHPian

Hi all,

my Xylo had run about 7K KMs on the ELF Performance 3D oil (details on pg-105). The ODO was running faster because of few trips to Guj & etc.

This oil was pretty OK initially but after 5K KM, I felt a bit (not much) of harshness in engine noise, though vehicle performance was not a concern, and I could well do high speeds. I have observed that this generally happens with most mineral-based (semi-synt) oils I have used, gradually it tends to lose its charm. I opted for oil change.

Slight OT: After ~5.5K on the ELF P3D oil, I did one more 'experiment' : online purchased STP Diesel Oil Treatment 300ml (the Black+Red Can pack, not the blue bottle).

Very very long back, I had once used STP Oil Treatment (blue bottle),
about half a bottle. Didnt recall any major effect, mostly because even the engine was fairly newer. That stuff was really very thick (viscous) gel, and took time to pour down. Compared to the Can variant I got this time (mentions that its specially for Diesel), this was bit less thick, but surely very thick than normal engine oils.
(note: the additive links to Amazon site are just for ref, not any endorsement - just to clarify!)

This time, in an empty bottle took about 100ml of engine oil (IIRC Rimula R4) which I had in spare, and added about 250ml of STP (not the full 300ml as I wasnt very sure and wanted to try low doze), and mixed it well. After pouring into a warm engine, I again kept vehicle on idle for few minutes, just to ensure well mixed in the engine compartment along with existing ELF oil. I used this for ~1.5K KM, routine office drives and some long distance trips (including high speeds). I couldnt notice any significant difference in performance or noise - maybe engine has high mileage OR dose was less OR oil was already used, whatever.

Oil Change: This time I again purchased Shell Rimula R4 (15w40 CI4+) @ Rs.2500 for 7.5 Ltr pack, less than printed MRP. Previously it contained a Rs.50 coupon, which I returned to shop for deducting the price, this time coupon was Rs.130. So, effective price was Rs.2370.
I also purchased the Techol oil (15w40 CF4, Rs.850 for 5 ltr can, ref pg-105) for 'flushing' the engine, which was draining dark just after 5 min of idle! After the new R4 oil (& filter change), I did long trip and it was really smooth - ofcourse the new oil has its charm. Let me run for few thousand KM and then again comment on R4.

PS: As of today, on my return home drive, ODO will cross 150000 KM (1.5L KMs), vehicle will turn 6yr this June !

I have few Queries :
a) some shops have old packing oil, say 1-2 years old - is that OK to use such oil ? any precautions ? (I always ensure that oil pack is not old than few months)

b) I stopped at a Reliance bunk (yes, they are re-opening at many places, saw 2 in MH towards GJ NH8) and saw Relstar Nova Ultra (15w40 CI4+), and noticed that its manufactured by "Standard Greases & Specialities, Silvassa"

anybody used this oil ? :
All about diesel engine oils-20160327_171133edit.jpg
All about diesel engine oils-20160327_171146edit.jpg

c) I googled a bit and found many "lesser known" oil company plants especially in Silvasa (many refineries exists here, dont know why):

Techsol (I used twice for flushing) / Standard Greases (marketed by Reliance) / Gandhar Oil / Manibhadra Petroleum / Ossol / Gold Corp / Raj Petro Zoomol / Savita (Savsol) (well known brand) / Tide Water (Veedol) (well known brand) / Nexton

Im sure across India there would be hundreds such oil companies, maybe OEM to bigger brands or exports ?!

Just out of curiosity - Anybody can comment on the quality of such oils ? any experience on usage ?

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 29th March 2016 at 18:02. Reason: AZ clarify
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2016, 20:32   #1590
BHPian

Mobil1 0w/40

Guys..I have a query.

I am planning to use Mobil1 0w/40 in my Mahindra Thar, since it has now crossed 25,000 km.

Mobil1 0w/40 retails on Amazon for Rs. 3,625/4 Litres (Rs. 906/Litre).
However when I spoke to the distributor in Bangalore, he says the prices have gone up and he cannot sell it below Rs. 1,200/litre since HE PAYS more than Rs. 906/Litre to procure it.

How is it that online dealers sell it below cost?
Any possibility of old stock or non-genuine oil?

Last edited by cpbopanna : 10th April 2016 at 20:46.

Most Viewed