Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2015, 22:32   #1441
BHPian

^^They do offer mineral. I have been on mineral with change at 5k kms interval. Earlier it was Shell MGDO 15w40. Recently it got changed to Mobil MGDO 5W40 which seems semi synth going by the cost.

The Mobil super MGDO 15W40 can I saw recently says CG rated only. The synth used by M.A.S.S at least in Chennai MSM and Vishnu cars is Mobil MGDO 0W40 which is only CF rated. Gues s the lower CX rating will result in increased soot and hence recommends EGR cleaning every 30k kms.
Old 11th May 2015, 22:43   #1442
BANNED

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkycool21 View Post
Another question to add, how long is the life of synthetic oil vs mineral oil? Does getting synthetic oil increase the time frame before getting the next oil change? If yes, how much? Thanks in advance.
Mineral oil - 5K kms interval;

Semi-synthetic and Synthetic oil - 10K kms interval.
Old 12th May 2015, 09:11   #1443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkycool21 View Post
Another question to add, how long is the life of synthetic oil vs mineral oil? Does getting synthetic oil increase the time frame before getting the next oil change? If yes, how much? Thanks in advance.
The life of Oil depends on engine and grade of oil.

If the user manual recommend oil change after 15K with mineral oil you can safely run till 15K. In my safari recommend oil change interval is 15K or one year I change it every 10-12 k km.

Change interval depends on rating of Oil in 2.2 Dicor it was 15K with CH4 grade in latest version of storme it is 20K km with CI4 grade oil.

There is no straight formula by which you can arrive at a number with synthetic oil. Car companies test vehicles for months and years to arrive at these numbers.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2015, 11:30   #1444
Senior - BHPian

Can I mix two brands of engine oils if the grade is same - 15W40.

I got about 1.5-2 L of engine oil for my Swift diesel from the 5L pack (Servo) and now plan on getting Mobil Delvac or some other. Would it be safe to mix the two?

Last edited by fine69 : 30th May 2015 at 11:41.
Old 30th May 2015, 12:49   #1445
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Can I mix two brands of engine oils if the grade is same - 15W40.

I got about 1.5-2 L of engine oil for my Swift diesel from the 5L pack (Servo) and now plan on getting Mobil Delvac or some other. Would it be safe to mix the two?
Why don't you get the same brand instead, technically nothing wrong in mixing same brands. But then why do you wan't to take chance with blenders of this world?

In short yes you can, but even if you use Delvac the Servo will over rule any advantages since the quantity is more.
Old 30th May 2015, 14:08   #1446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
In short yes you can, but even if you use Delvac the Servo will over rule any advantages since the quantity is more.
With Servo the engine noise shot up so I wanted to go back to Mobil Delvac.

I'm assuming the only difference different brands would have would be of additives so logic says there shouldn't be a problem. Wanted to check if folks here had done something like this.

Using 1 or 1.5 L of Delvac now would mean that next time onwards I'd be able to finish up the 5L pack. May be I can buy the 1L pack of Servo and go with this only, a little confused.
Old 30th May 2015, 16:16   #1447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With Servo the engine noise shot up so I wanted to go back to Mobil Delvac.
A little OT, but where in Delhi can you buy Mobil Delvac MX? I've been using that or HX6 (which I've been buying from a faithful store in Dwarka). But just got informed that they have stopped stocking both Shell and Mobil.

I live in Dwarka. Any pointers as to where MDMX can be bought in Dwarka/West Delhi will be appreciated.
Old 1st June 2015, 11:22   #1448
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May be I can buy the 1L pack of Servo and go with this only, a little confused.
Yes do that, if you run alot. If not give the servo to someone else
Old 1st June 2015, 12:46   #1449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
A little OT, but where in Delhi can you buy Mobil Delvac MX?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Yes do that, if you run alot. If not give the servo to someone else
Mobil Delvac MX was not available at Batra automobiles (East of Kailash, Delhi). I wanted to get Super 1300 but the owner himself recommended Mobil Super MGDO 15W-40 (MGDO - Maruti Genuine Diesel Oil) - http://www.rameshmarketing.com/produ...GDO-15W-40.php

Super MGDO was 900 for 3.5 litres (Rs. 257 per litre) whereas Super 1300 was 5 litres for 1200 (Rs. 240 per litre).

I didn't get any time this weekend to put the new oil, will get it done and report.

Question though, a lot of service centres put 3.5 litres and only a very few use 3.2 litres (which is recommended as per manual). Would putting 3.5 litres really put the engine or turbo in jeopardy?

Most of the folks say they know what they are doing and it should be 3.5 litres only.
Old 1st June 2015, 12:58   #1450
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Most of the folks say they know what they are doing and it should be 3.5 litres only.
Maruti itself has issued a circular on this, don't know why dealers would recommend otherwise. Atleast the dealers i have taken the car were aware off and have used 3.1-3.2 liters for complete oil and filter change.
Old 1st June 2015, 13:08   #1451
BHPian

Quote:
Question though, a lot of service centres put 3.5 litres and only a very few use 3.2 litres (which is recommended as per manual). Would putting 3.5 litres really put the engine or turbo in jeopardy?

I pour in 3 cans of 1 litre each only for my 2010 swift and check it regularly, never found a need to top up.....

Last edited by Eddy : 1st June 2015 at 13:34. Reason: fixing quote
Old 8th June 2015, 11:42   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

I live in Dwarka. Any pointers as to where MDMX can be bought in Dwarka/West Delhi will be appreciated.

You may want to check Pawan Motors in Kirti Nagar (near Raja Garden). Contact +(91)-9212426107. Owners name is Atul.
panky12345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 12:03   #1453
BANNED

Quote:

Are these folks that you say mechanics @ MASS or mechanics @ FNG?

The owners manual clearly states 3.1L is the quantity to be filled so how on earth are they so confident that it is 3.5L to be filled?!

IMO, it is bad for both the engine as well as the turbo components due to overfilling. It may seem that it is just 400 ml excess but that excess could play havoc inside.

I see to it that I get the 400 ml is left in their can when the oil is changed in my car.
Old 11th June 2015, 12:15   #1454

Two days back, one fine morning, my car refused to start. At first, it cranked and started once and later refused to start at all (but cranked). I thought it was because of sudden climate change in Chennai and I tried to start my car around 9am. This is when the "oil" warning light went on.

I immediately checked the oil level with the help of the "dip stick" and found it low. Also the color of the oil was black.

I immediately consulted Team-bhp for remedy and I found this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Though I can get exhaustive info here, I have few more questions by myself. These questions may be repetition but I will be satisfied if they are answered exclusively.

The details of my car can be found in my User Profile. But I am furnishing it here to lessen your burden.

Model & Make: Hyundai i20 1.4 Sportz CRDi
Year of manufacture: 2012 ~~~Not under warranty now~~~

Q1:
As I can't start my car, I am planning to fill the oil by myself. Is it recommended? Or please suggest me some other first aid so that I can move it to a service center. I am fed up with V3 HASS , Perungudi, Chennai. So I wont go there at all. Want to search for a new one.

Q2:
The engine is already on mineral oil. I don't know the make and its specification as it was filled by HASS @ 50,000km. The old bill also mention it as "E.Oil.". Can I now fill it with Synthetic Oil? Does the engine needs a flush? My car has already done 60,000km on the Odo. Last time the engine was flushed for the first time by HASS @ 50,000km.

Q3:
Which oil best suits my car? I have few names in my mind. Please suggest/rate.
1. Mobil Devlac 1
2. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40
3. Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5W-40
4. Shell Helix HX5 Diesel 15W-40

I think, except Helix HX5, others are Synthetic.

Q4:
Of all the pictures of the "oil can" posted by the members in the Forum, none of them bears the API Donut. If I am buying one by myself, should I insist the retailer for the API Donut. Or is it not compulsory to have it in this part of the world? I read somewhere that all cans must bear the Donut. I am bothered about duplicates.

Q5:
From my knowledge gained from this Forum, I decided to change the oil filter too. Is the oil filter canister easily accessible in i20 CRDi? Can we change it ourself? Can you please suggest me a good oil filter available in the market that fits my car?

Q6:
I am also planning to change the coolant and other fluids. Will deal with in the respective threads. If possible, please suggest some coolant here so that I can fill it along with the engine oil. Last time I filled MAK Super Kool.

Awaiting quick responses from dear members so that I can get prepared for the mess this weekend Thanks in advance.
Old 12th June 2015, 10:07   #1455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbalaji View Post
Q3:
Which oil best suits my car? I have few names in my mind. Please suggest/rate.
1. Mobil Devlac 1
2. Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40
3. Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5W-40
4. Shell Helix HX5 Diesel 15W-40

I think, except Helix HX5, others are Synthetic.
My recommendation for synthetic would be Mobil Delvac 1. I've been running it in my Verna 1.5 CRDI and am extremely happy. Ensure you source from a genuine supplier. I got it online from 99rpm.
Before changing, please check why the oil level dipped so low. Ensure there is no leakage. You would not want expensive oils to just leak out.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 12th June 2015 at 10:08.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks