Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2024, 13:32   #2611
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

For your usage, it won’t make much of a difference. Buy whatever oil suits the required spec and is in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
Thanks for your reply!

However the service is due. So anyways we have to get the oil changed. Would it be better to replace it with Castrol edge or Delvac 1?

Shell HX 8 4 litres is for 2.1k and Castrol edge for 4k.

Is it worth the extra cost for a 1.5 L turbo charged diesel with an annual running within 10k Kms?
Old 26th January 2024, 20:19   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupamsinha View Post
Would it be better to replace it with Castrol edge or Delvac 1?
I'd pick the Mobil 1Delvac anyday over the Castrol. It feels like a different engine to me with the Mobil 1. You can really feel how free revving and smooth it becomes. I'm talking about my experience with this oil in the 1.3 lit Maruti Ddis engine in the Swift and the Baleno.
Gupts007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 21:51   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
I'd pick the Mobil 1Delvac anyday over the Castrol. It feels like a different engine to me with the Mobil 1. You can really feel how free revving and smooth it becomes. I'm talking about my experience with this oil in the 1.3 lit Maruti Ddis engine in the Swift and the Baleno.
+1. The Swift Diesel never felt as good as with Mobil Delvac 1. Tried SHU, but nowhere near Mobil Delvac 1 experience.
JMaruru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 12:43   #2614
BHPian

Hi, Has anyone used the Eneos Fine 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil (ACEA A3/B3, A4/B4 and API SN/CF) ? My VW Passat is due for its periodic oil change and was thinking of using this. I understand it is VW 505.01 compatible too.
Old 29th January 2024, 17:24   #2615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatman View Post
Hi, Has anyone used the Eneos Fine 5W-40 Fully Synthetic Motor Oil (ACEA A3/B3, A4/B4 and API SN/CF) ? My VW Passat is due for its periodic oil change and was thinking of using this. I understand it is VW 505.01 compatible too.
It is a fairly normal medium price / quality synthetic oil. If that is what you want to use, go ahead.
Old 30th January 2024, 10:14   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It is a fairly normal medium price / quality synthetic oil. If that is what you want to use, go ahead.
Hey thanks! Have you used the oil, as I am looking/ checking for actual user experience before going ahead with the oil change.
Old 30th January 2024, 10:22   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatman View Post
Hey thanks! Have you used the oil, as I am looking/ checking for actual user experience before going ahead with the oil change.
Not this specific Eneos but another of their synthetic grades. Found it OK medium price / value.
Old 2nd February 2024, 12:48   #2618

Analysis Paralysis!

Been reading through the thread. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere. But thoroughly confused at the end of it.

My recently acquired Scross 320DDIS (1.6) Diesel is due for an Oil change. It has 55K Kms on the odo and usually driven for 24 Kms on a daily basis for office commute. The average speed of this commute is around 12KMPH.
The route starts off in a congested area, touches highway in 15 mins or so, car gets to open its wings just a little bit for 3 KMS and back to a congested road for another 10 mins. The engine barely reaches optimum temperate by the time its parked again. Driven with a light foot so i don't think the turbo gets engaged that often.

There can be an odd weekend trip or long drive holidays just like everyone else's.

Yearly mileage is around 12-14K Kms.

I don't know what oil was used earlier. After going through the forum i'm fairly convinced to use a fully synthetic oil. I guess HTHS above 3.5 is my only requirement? The forum leans towards using a 5W40 oil instead of 5W30 (company recommended).

Side note: Recently bought a Liqui Moily Diesel Purge. Plan to add it and do a tankful right before i start off on my Mumbai-Infore trip.
Old 2nd February 2024, 15:00   #2619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyrev View Post
Analysis Paralysis!

Been reading through the thread. I'm sure the answer is out there somewhere. But thoroughly confused at the end of it.

My recently acquired Scross 320DDIS (1.6) Diesel is due for an Oil change. It has 55K Kms on the odo and usually driven for 24 Kms on a daily basis for office commute. The average speed of this commute is around 12KMPH.
The route starts off in a congested area, touches highway in 15 mins or so, car gets to open its wings just a little bit for 3 KMS and back to a congested road for another 10 mins. The engine barely reaches optimum temperate by the time its parked again. Driven with a light foot so i don't think the turbo gets engaged that often.

There can be an odd weekend trip or long drive holidays just like everyone else's.

Yearly mileage is around 12-14K Kms.

I don't know what oil was used earlier. After going through the forum i'm fairly convinced to use a fully synthetic oil. I guess HTHS above 3.5 is my only requirement? The forum leans towards using a 5W40 oil instead of 5W30 (company recommended).

Side note: Recently bought a Liqui Moily Diesel Purge. Plan to add it and do a tankful right before i start off on my Mumbai-Infore trip.
Hi, Congratulations for the car.

Recommended engine oil for Scross 1.6 is the MGDO 0W 30 (refer the link below). You can get it at any MASS.
Its a good oil and perfect for your requirement.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-engi...w_30-58229987/
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2024, 18:01   #2620
BHPian

Hi all! I ran into this pretty bizarre episode today while changing engine oil of my angel, the Etios Liva. Capacity is 4L with filter. So I had 700 ml of oil with me and ordered a gallon jar. So, 3780ml + 700ml is equal to 4480 ml. I put 4000ml in precisely, so 480 should remain, right? I have a habit of measuring oil. Upon measuring what was remaining in the gallon jar, 650 ml came out! I was shocked. Thats an excess 170 ml of oil. I immediately called the oil vendor he also ran his calculations and was surprised. Said will talk to the boss and update me.

My question is do companies sometimes overfill their jars by this much? The systems are all automated and work with pin point precision. Do such errors happen? I have never encountered a problem like this and had to post.

Will appreciate your inputs. Thank you in advance.
Old 28th March 2024, 12:42   #2621
BHPian

Came across this video and it suggests always sticking to the manufacturer's provided engine oil because they know better how they have designed the engine and what oil is required to maintain the engine for years.

For example, if there is a very small gap between two metal parts of the engine then thick 0W will work better than the 5W or 10W at cold start. similarly, if the gap is wider 10W or 15 W will work better than 0 or 5 W.

Watch this video for full clarity.

hrishi_dypim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 13:00   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
Came across this video and it suggests always sticking to the manufacturer's provided engine oil because they know better how they have designed the engine and what oil is required to maintain the engine for years.
But the same engine may have different oils recommended in different countries, some for fuel economy norms others for cost / to cope with lower quality diesel etc. Ford itself has recommendations for their 3.2 diesel that go all the way from 15w40 ci4+ - ck4 to 5w30 a5b5
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th April 2024, 23:36   #2623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishi_dypim View Post
For example, if there is a very small gap between two metal parts of the engine then thick 0W will work better than the 5W or 10W at cold start. similarly, if the gap is wider 10W or 15 W will work better than 0 or 5 W.

Watch this video for full clarity.

https://Youtu.be/A924OcVU7fs?si=bMGHGzXDK6jYg4sZ
Half knowledge is sometimes more dangerous than no knowledge.
The good part is, that this video recommends to follow manufacturer recommended grade.

There are a few things which the video creator is unaware about.

1. Cranking viscosity.
2. Temperature at which the cranking viscosity is measured.
3. Kinematic viscosity.

The attached image will provide a lot of information that is needed.

Cranking viscosity of 10w is not double of 5w. Moreover, they are measured at different temperatures and cannot be compared.

Additional thought: If I own a R15, normally I will put 15w50 in it, but when I go for racing on a track, I will put 15w60 grade. Racing grades are thicker than normal grades, why? The answer to this question will help one understand what needs to be known.

While racing, will the gap shown in the video become different? Racing oils are thicker, even when they increase the drag, for an occasion where every second counts.

Now, there could be a debate that a synthetic oil of 15w50 vs a mineral oil of 15w60 will perform same even during racing. Yes, it is true, but we are not discussing oil quality here. Just viscosities. More information in the attached link.

https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en-k...ng%20a%20race.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_2024_0405_231219.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 5th April 2024 at 23:45.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks