Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2016, 23:01   #1591
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Does anyone uses 5w30 here for diesel engine? I was scouting it for my Figo but the ones available from Shell/Mobil had specific mention of "For gasoline engines". There were no CF/CI/CH rating. I could not find any for diesel engine so would be using 10w30 from Mobil.
Old 11th April 2016, 01:40   #1592
BHPian

Ford ASC uses Mobil 3000 x1 FE 5w30. I found it to be a very good oil. Go for happy pocket service(rs350) and get the oil(rs.1200) + filter(rs.360) changed at the svc itself. Oil+filter+labor turns out to be around Rs.1900/-

Last edited by interc00led : 11th April 2016 at 01:41.
Old 17th April 2016, 12:02   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Since Mobile Delvac and Shell oil's are not easily available even in online stores, I'm planning to try a brand new engine oil called Mitasu. The only reason I'm going for this oil is because of it's "Made in Japan" tag. Mitasu Engine Oil

Japanese products have never failed me and have always performed above my expectations. Hoping this oil brand does the same for my car.

If anyone has used this oil, kindly give me your feedback or alternate options.
Old 18th April 2016, 13:32   #1594
BHPian

Hi guys,

My Liva VD just crossed 14k kms and just completed a short trip of 400 kms yesterday. The mileage came out to approx 15-16 kpl with 70% highway & 30% city driving. Car was fully loaded with 4 pax & luggage. Highway speeds were usual 80-90 with usual blasts of 100 kph. I really a unable to fathom why isn't the mileage improving? The third service just got done too.

I really want to experiment with a better oil & find out. Keen on the Fully Synthetic Toyota offers & the Mobil Delvac. Grades are identical, the Delvac offers more range actually(5W40 compared to Toyotas 5W30). What do you reckon? I had tried the FS Mobil earlier on my Getz and it was the best engine oil I ever drove on, what other wise was a lacklustre engine. Given the super capable D4D am sure it'll turn out great.

Inputs will be appreciated, as always.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 14:27   #1595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hi guys,

My Liva VD just crossed 14k kms and just completed a short trip of 400 kms yesterday. The mileage came out to approx 15-16 kpl with 70% highway & 30% city driving. Car was fully loaded with 4 pax & luggage. Highway speeds were usual 80-90 with usual blasts of 100 kph. I really a unable to fathom why isn't the mileage improving? The third service just got done too.

I really want to experiment with a better oil & find out. Keen on the Fully Synthetic Toyota offers & the Mobil Delvac. Grades are identical, the Delvac offers more range actually(5W40 compared to Toyotas 5W30). What do you reckon? I had tried the FS Mobil earlier on my Getz and it was the best engine oil I ever drove on, what other wise was a lacklustre engine. Given the super capable D4D am sure it'll turn out great.

Inputs will be appreciated, as always.
I have always used Mobil1 0w40 in my SX4 VDi, from 1,000 km onwards. I have clocked close to 85,000 km now, in 5 years.
The engine is so buttery smooth that after test driving (with an intention to buy) a DDiS 200 powered S Cross/Vitara Brezza and the DDiS 320 S Cross, I decided to retain my car for the next 4 years, at least!
The engine is so silent, it will be hard-pressed to gauge it's actually a Diesel, especially after 3000 rpm.
I keep the engine on the boil (between 2,500 - 3,500 rpm and NEVER stress/lug it) and I get a mileage of 17 kmpl consistently on the highway.
In Bangalore traffic (if you call this abomination traffic), the mileage drops to 14 kmpl.

With my Mahindra Thar, I am replacing the oil with Mobil1 Devlac 5w40, better suited for larger engines, I ran the first 25,000 km on the Company specified oil.

I reckon the fuel efficiency you are achieving is normal considering extensive use of air-conditioner in this blistering heat!

To conclude, I recommend you stick to Mobil1 0w40, that's the best gift you can give your baby!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 18th April 2016 at 14:30.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:42   #1596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have always used Mobil1 0w40 in my SX4 VDi, from 1,000 km onwards. I have clocked close to 85,000 km now, in 5 years.
The engine is so buttery smooth that after test driving (with an intention to buy) a DDiS 200 powered S Cross/Vitara Brezza and the DDiS 320 S Cross, I decided to retain my car for the next 4 years, at least!
The engine is so silent, it will be hard-pressed to gauge it's actually a Diesel, especially after 3000 rpm.
I keep the engine on the boil (between 2,500 - 3,500 rpm and NEVER stress/lug it) and I get a mileage of 17 kmpl consistently on the highway.
In Bangalore traffic (if you call this abomination traffic), the mileage drops to 14 kmpl.

With my Mahindra Thar, I am replacing the oil with Mobil1 Devlac 5w40, better suited for larger engines, I ran the first 25,000 km on the Company specified oil.

I reckon the fuel efficiency you are achieving is normal considering extensive use of air-conditioner in this blistering heat!

To conclude, I recommend you stick to Mobil1 0w40, that's the best gift you can give your baby!
I'm also planning to switch from Castrol Magnetic to Mobil now for my Sx4 (Diesel), but slightly confused b/w Mobil 1 and Delvic 1.

Also, not able to understand, how Mobil 0W40 is common for Petrol and Diesel Engines.

http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/product_0w40.aspx

Also, anybody using Mobil Super 5W-40, which is nearly 35% cheaper than Mobil 0W40?

http://www.amazon.in/Mobil-Super-5W-...VRFFH9M0R0X2SR

Last edited by amitpunjani : 18th April 2016 at 14:47. Reason: Typo
Old 18th April 2016, 15:17   #1597
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
I'm also planning to switch from Castrol Magnetic to Mobil now for my Sx4 (Diesel), but slightly confused b/w Mobil 1 and Delvic 1.

Also, not able to understand, how Mobil 0W40 is common for Petrol and Diesel Engines.
This has been discussed many times in this thread itself. Mobil 1 is petrol specific, though they say it can be used for diesel also. Diesel specific is Mobil Delvac 1. Difference is delvac has more detergent properties that are needed for diesel engines.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, go with Mobil Delvac MX. It is a superb oil for DDiS and Thar CRDe engine and from my first hand experience. Replace every 5-7 k kms for best results though you can run it safely to be about 12-15k kms if you are doing lot of highway/long trips.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 17:19   #1598
BHPian

Mobil 5W40 Diesel Engine Oil in my 2013 Swift Petrol ?

Here is what has happened. I had parked my car in Pitampura (Delhi) and somehow, the oil filter was taken apart and the underbody bolts of the engine and gear oil tanks were gone and the oil was all over the road and under my car. I am assuming the mechanics in the area must have mistaken my car for one of their customer's and did not even bother to atleast put those bolts back after realizing it. I don't think it has something to do with a theft attempt because nothing else was tampered with. I checked the hood, windows and rim bolts and everything was intact.

With mixed emotions and wanting to get my car back alive again, I went to a shop nearby that had all sorts of spare parts and oils and he gave me a can of MGO Mobil 5W40 because he did not have anything for petrol in Mobil. It said "for diesel engines" on the can but not wanting to go for a fishy looking GS Caltex and something called "SK ZIC", I bought Mobil and with a mind full of questions, I came back home, praying that the engine doesn't give me any more surprises. I did do a quick check on our forum and felt a little assured that it wouldn't do any harm, atleast not in this scorching heat but my mind is still not at peace.

Can someone please help me a little more with this? Should I be worried about the engine oil? I just can't put myself to ease after such a long day.

Mod Note :

Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th May 2016 at 06:49.
DeepeshKarnik is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th May 2016, 06:27   #1599
BHPian

Re: Mobil 5W40 Diesel Engine Oil in my 2013 Swift Petrol ?

The key is 5W-40. If this is the engine oil that is stated in the manual or exceeds the specifications, then it is fine.

Engine oil provides the main function of lubricating the engine. The viscosity (read: thickness) of the engine oil decides what grade is given to it. And so any 5W-40 oil can lubricate your engine. The word diesel is mentioned because it is optimized for the turbo-charged engines. In turbo-diesels of today, there is more pressure on the oil and more circulation required and the heat of the turbo-charger is very high. And this oil is capable of withstanding even those conditions. It is an overkill for your engine as you don't necessarily require that quality of oil but when you have it, why not.

It's like this.Lets just say engine oil is like milk. You drink milk to get energy. Now, there is cow milk, goat milk etc. with different tastes. But the real reason you drink milk is for energy.
aveemashfaq is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 13:49   #1600
BHPian

I've got a Punto Evo Diesel. It's been lying idle around for almost 3 months now. I got the engine oil changed during first service and since then it clocked 5k on the ODO in 3 months. Would you suggest a change of engine oil? Or can I use the same for another 3 months and have it changed during the second service?
Old 6th June 2016, 18:14   #1601
BHPian

Update - Oil Change:

These days, as the mileage on my Xylo is increasing, the frequency of my oil change is also increasing. Last change was at ODO ~148K KM (Shell Rimula R4). Actually, really happy with R4, but also wanted to experiment with other brands!

After running with R4 oil for about 6K KM, few days back (ODO = 153K+ KMs) changed to Total Quartz 4x4 15w40 CI4+. Got the 6ltr can @ Rs.1900, and poured some ~600ml from spare R4 oil. Will revert with my feedback after few weeks.

regards,
Old 20th July 2016, 13:12   #1602
BHPian

Anyone tried this one for Scorpio mhawk 2.2L?

http://www.amazon.in/Wuerth-10W-40-S...tic+engine+oil
Old 20th July 2016, 18:23   #1603
Senior - BHPian

What is the deal with Honda 3d oil they market for their Honda Diesel i-dtec cars? Is it a synthetic oil? Dealer charges 2500 for a change which is almost the price of a synthetic oil. What viscosity and grade is this oil?

Last edited by devarshi84 : 20th July 2016 at 18:25.
Old 26th July 2016, 16:54   #1604
BHPian

I was thinking of using mobil delvac 1 in my Sx4 deisel. It is not available with local dealer. Is www.99rpm.com trustworthy? I asked Mobil's India helpline about 99rpm. They are telling that this website is not an authorised seller for mobil engine oils. Called up 99rpm's customer care. They are just telling that oils are genuine and that they cannot answer more questions regarding this.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20160723132246.png  

Old 26th July 2016, 16:57   #1605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
I was thinking of using mobil delvac 1 in my Sx4 deisel. It is not available with local dealer. Is www.99rpm.com trustworthy?
Perfectly fine, i had bought shell synthetic through them. Please go ahead if it is on stock.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks