Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2017, 08:18   #1666
Senior - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
No, I would not recommend any 5W-40 as the “40” here pertains to viscosity of oil at engine’s operating temperature which will be much thicker than a 0W-30. The thicker oil will impede your fuel efficiency and can also starve some vital engine parts of lubrication which can cause long term damage to the engine.

To elaborate, a 0W-30 oil will have a kinematic viscosity of approx. 11.7 to 12.1 centistokes @100C which is engine’s operating temperature. The same parameter for a 5W-40 oil will be 13.2 to 13.4 centistokes at engine’s operating temperature which you can see is much thicker.
Vikram, many thanks for the detailed explanation. The figures speak for themselves. I am very much sure, with the 5W-40, cold starts would be suicidal for the engine. The engine oil supplied by Maruti is made by some third party manufacturer licensed by Petronas. With the 0W-30 i guess the viscous drag would be way lesser than the 5W-30.
Many thanks once again, that clears my doubts. Will stick to the recommended one.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th March 2017 at 08:20.
Old 7th March 2017, 09:42   #1667
BHPian

Re: swift VDi on 5W-40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
So, for my swift VDi (2009) model, I had Mobil Delvac 1 for the last service.

Now that you say, manufacturer recommended for swift VDi(old) is 5W-30, does my fill of 5W-40 harm the engine?

Also, what are the oil options for 5W-30 in synthetic grade?
5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 is the recommended oil for the diesel Swift on sale currently.

What also needs to be understood that using a wrong viscosity of oil will not result in a catastrophic failure but result in increased wear & tear of the internal parts as these parts would have to overcome the increased viscous drag on account of usage of a thicker viscosity of oil.

I'm not based in India so have very limited information about the various products available in the Indian market.

As far as the correct OEM recommendation of engine oil for your car, please refer to your owners manual and be guided accordingly as I don't have access you this information. If you can share the exact specifications of the oil as per your owners' manual I can try to help in a much better way.

Shell & Exxon Mobil are two of the top majors that sell their products in Indian market and you can enquire from their dealers/website in regards to the products that will be applicable for your car's engine.
Vikram Arya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 09:49   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I am very much sure, with the 5W-40, cold starts would be suicidal for the engine. .
As long as you don't start your car in Siachin glacier in the peak of the winter, 0WXX is not required anywhere else in India.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2017, 12:56   #1669
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
As long as you don't start your car in Siachin glacier in the peak of the winter, 0WXX is not required anywhere else in India.
Let me add there is no true 0W! Actually it may be something like 2W or 3W. Rst is marketing. The way I look at it any sub 5W may be labelled as 0W since viscosity in in multiples of 5 (cold or lower end) or 10 (hot or higher end).
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 13:47   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Exactly. This is what I was asking earlier too. Unless we are driving military vehicle in our north and north eastern borders we just dont need the 0W at all.

Why cant they just instead increase XX part of yWXX grade ? I am sure this year and all years forward is going to be hotter than the previous year.
Old 8th March 2017, 14:15   #1671
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Exactly. This is what I was asking earlier too. Unless we are driving military vehicle in our north and north eastern borders we just dont need the 0W at all.

Why cant they just instead increase XX part of yWXX grade ? I am sure this year and all years forward is going to be hotter than the previous year.
Because, there are regions where the 0WXX is needed. If you observe, it is only the fully synthetic oils that are 0WXX.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 22:19   #1672
BHPian

My Ciaz diesel is up for its 40k oil change. For the last service i used Delvac 1 5w40 but sadly i cant find this oil anymore in stores. The local Mobil dealer is trying to source this oil for the past month, always tells me that the shipment should come but till now it hasn't arrived. I dont have anybody who can carry 3+ liters of oil from Pune/Bangalore either because they are riding back or they are scared to carry it via air.

I Found delvac 1 to be good, but availability issues forces me to hunt for a new full synthetic oil.
Maruti recommends 5w30 oil meeting ACEA A5/B5 specification.However there is no API level specified and this brings alot of confusion since the only synthetic A5/B5 oil i can find is the Mobil super 3000 x1.
http://lubes.mobil.com/AP-English-LC...FE-5W-30.aspx#

However if you check the link, under 'specs', you'll find that this oil meets API CF recommendation which is way inferior to the Delvac 1 and is currently obsolete. Seems to me to be more of a gasoline oil than diesel.Similarly mobile 1 5w30 ,shell helix ultra 5w40 or castrol edge 5w40,all 3 oils dont meet the A5/B5 specifications and they are either API CF or dont mention it. SO again CONFUSED!

I wonder how those taxis/private cars who are running lakhs of KMs just by using whatever oil the service centers provides, have their engines holding up just fine after using Castrol professional 5w30(semi synthetic)/mobil MGDO 5w0 etc.Seems that they follow only the 5w30 marking and not the ACEA/API specifications.

Any Recommendations for me?

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 8th March 2017 at 22:22.
Old 9th March 2017, 11:41   #1673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I wonder how those taxis/private cars who are running lakhs of KMs just by using whatever oil the service centers provides, have their engines holding up just fine after using Castrol professional 5w30(semi synthetic)/mobil MGDO 5w0 etc.Seems that they follow only the 5w30 marking and not the ACEA/API specifications.

Any Recommendations for me?
As far as I know, very few of the taxi drivers that I talked to even were aware of Synthetic Oil benefits. Only thing that mattered to them was cost per liter of oil. 99% were using mineral and on extended drain intervals.

It is us who are cribbing on synthetics for our beloved cars. The best answers were from Tata Indica cab owners who just dont care about changing oil until they feel they should when they have enough money left in their pocket to treat their car for a service.

My Maruti dealer only provides Mobil MGDO and they dont pour in anything that I take to them. So, for the sake of warranty, I take Mobil (cheaper too) and then after 5000 Kms, shift to Shell Helix for another 7K. I think Shell will fit your requirement for time being until you can source Delvac.

Last edited by manson : 31st March 2017 at 20:29. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
prithm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 17:55   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
My Maruti dealer only provides Mobil MGDO and they dont pour in anything that I take to them. So, for the sake of warranty, I take Mobil (cheaper too) and then after 5000 Kms, shift to Shell Helix for another 7K. I think Shell will fit your requirement for time being until you can source Delvac.
I got good feedback about Delvac 1, I have personally used Helix Ultra 5W40, but i felt it was good in initial days, smooth effortless power delivery etc, but i started to experience oil reduction issues in stick level. how much ever i top up i used to see a reduction.

Now i switched back to 5W40 Selenia Semisynth as per factory recommendation for Fiat Diesel and monitoring oil level. I think too much babying is also not good and better to stick to factory spec oil and do timely changes if not once in 6 months to keep the drive as smooth as possible.

I dunked the shell helix oil when it still had viscosity there by enabling some sludge removal.i got a strong NO recommendation for a engine flush to be done when switching back to semi-synth oil.

Suggestion is to stick to Maruti recommended oil and schedule as i think Ciaz diesel does not come with an oil cooler, not sure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
Shell & Exxon Mobil are two of the top majors that sell their products in Indian market and you can enquire from their dealers/website in regards to the products that will be applicable for your car's engine.
Yes i contacted their website and as per their recommendation switched to 5W40 full synth oil for the same swift diesel but in Fiat Punto avatar, i started to experience oil reduction issues after 3k kms and hence decided to switch back to factory spec oil and monitoring oil level now. i agree partly that the factory recommendation is after considering several factors and in house tests carried out and then certified, hence sticking to them is always wiser albeit ignoring their long drain interval gimmick which according to me has to be ignored given the harsh Indian driving and temperature conditions by following a shorted 6-7 months once drain interval.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th March 2017 at 18:53. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote +] instead. Thanks.
Old 10th March 2017, 23:18   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, .........

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
I got good feedback about Delvac 1, ........................
Suggestion is to stick to Maruti recommended oil and schedule as i think Ciaz diesel does not come with an oil cooler, not sure though.
I guess ill have to shift back to either the Castrol magnatec professional 5w30 or the marutis MGDO 5w40(rebranded mobil super) oil that my service center provides.

According to my Service center,the recommended maruti oil that they receive for diesel ciaz and all other 1.3 ddis engines is mostly castrol magnatec professional 5w30.
Its a semi synthetic oil(costs about 488 rs/liter) but beyond this i have no idea whats the specifications since this oil isn't available on their website. I have no clue if its the same magnatec start stop that we get outside or a special blend only for diesel engines.

Ill refrain from full synthetics for now even though we cover 10k km in 6 months since sourcing good diesel synthetic oils is difficult here in Goa. Also we wont be keeping the car beyond 2018 so i guess the pampering wont matter much plus dad does not appreciate the extra money spent on Full synthetic.

Thanks for all the help

Reagrds

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 10th March 2017 at 23:19.
Old 11th March 2017, 00:20   #1676
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I guess ill have to shift back to either the Castrol magnatec professional 5w30 or the marutis MGDO 5w40(rebranded mobil super) oil that my service center provides.
I prefer the Mobil Super 5W40 (MGDO) over the Castrol that is sold in barrels at MASS.

I get my own oil from the MGP distributor and hand it over to them while I give the car for service. Since it is MGDO, they don't make a fuss about it.

This oil is 3.5L capacity and costs Rs 2K.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2017, 20:21   #1677
BHPian

Hi,
I just saw, my last post on this thread about oil change in my vehicle was when Xylo's ODO was 140K KMs, pg-105. For sure, after this few times I had changed the oil, Shell Rimula R4 (15w40 CI4+).
As per my records, the most recent was at ~161K KMs. Since last 2-3 months, I had not been using my car, hardly few KM in a week. For my regular office travels, either pool with friends or book cab, this way I could relax a bit as I wasn't driving. However the ODO was ~169K and it was time for oil change. Last week went to a nearby auto shop whom I had acquaintance with owner, and asked about Rimula R4, which he denied. He kept praising Castrol, Bosch, though I was never convinced at those specs.
Since I didnt have much time, as an 'experiment', I went ahead with Castrol GTX Diesel (15w40 CH4), 7.5 Ltr can @ Rs.2400 (MRP was 2640 IIRC).

I drove for ~150 KM till now, and while its too early to comment, I can say didnt get the 'new oil feeling' (i.e. smoothness).

Later I check the website Castrol GTX Diesel, and it says:
Quote:
Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 is suitable for use in automotive diesel engines including inter-cooled and turbo-charged engines where the manufacturer recommends an API CH-4 or earlier specification 15W-40 lubricant.
Castrol GTX Diesel 15W-40 is approved for use in diesel passenger car vehicles manufatured by TATA Motors that require a 15W-40 lubricant.
PS: while copy-paste above text from the website itself, the wrong spelling of "manufactured" in second line was clearly pointed by our dear TBHP Forum! @Mods pls ignore this, as I have just lifted verbatim :-)

In my case this time, apart from the brand change, I did go lower from CI4+ to CH4. (For Xylo, MM did recommend CH4). Lets see for few days and later revert with my observations.

Though I have never used fully synthetic all these 1.7 Lac KMs, next I would like to try Mobil Delvac 1 (5w40).
Query:
- any negative impact you can think, in my case ?
- can anyone help, where can I get Mobil Delvac 1, preferably around Borivali / Thane / Vashi.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 17th March 2017 at 20:22.
Old 17th March 2017, 21:14   #1678
Team-BHP Support

Re: swift VDi on 5W-40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
So, for my swift VDi (2009) model, I had Mobil Delvac 1 for the last service.

Now that you say, manufacturer recommended for swift VDi(old) is 5W-30, does my fill of 5W-40 harm the engine?
Old swifts used to have 15w-40 as OE, later they changed. I used to run Delvac MX was even provided by dealer when I took the vehicle in 2007 to say about 2010. Never faced any issues and absolutely negligible oil level drops till the day I sold at about 76k kms. Used to give consistent high FE figures also.

I use the same oil in the Thar these days and is working brilliantly.

So I don't think there is any harm if you use synthetic version of the same brew. Since its heavy duty it has better soot handling properties that helps it keep engine clean longer.

In swift just be careful with oil fill quantity, don't go beyond 3.1 with filter change and 2.9 without filter change.
Old 17th March 2017, 22:53   #1679
BHPian

My order of Mobil Delvac 1 arrived from Pune a day before my scheduled 40k service so my headache of choosing a different oil was taken care of.

I bought 3, 1 liter cans since i had some remaining oil from the previous service.This particular stock was manufactured in December of 2015 and imported in February 2016. Its a little over a year old but thats the stock the dealer got and its within the 5 year shelf like so i dont foresee any issues with it.

Hopefully i can get newer stock by the next service since the availability of delvac 1 can be an issue at times.

Regards
Old 18th March 2017, 00:33   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
I have always used Mobil1 0w40 in my SX4 VDi, from 1,000 km onwards. I have clocked close to 85,000 km now, in 5 years.
The engine is so buttery smooth that after test driving (with an intention to buy) a DDiS 200 powered S Cross/Vitara Brezza and the DDiS 320 S Cross, I decided to retain my car for the next 4 years, at least!
The engine is so silent, it will be hard-pressed to gauge it's actually a Diesel, especially after 3000 rpm.

To conclude, I recommend you stick to Mobil1 0w40, that's the best gift you can give your baby!
Does the Mobil 0w40 cause a drop in fuel economy compared to 5w30? Does it really quieten the engine? I've found the larger Creta 1.6 diesel engine to be smoother and quieter compared to MJD VGT. What does Maruti use to factory fill DDIS200 engines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty91 View Post
Serviced my Ritz Vdi at the Maruti Dealership yesterday. The Oil used was MGDO Mobil Super 5W40. Asked the advisor for the spec of the Oil , but all he was aware was 5W40. But I wanted to know if it had the grade that Maruti specified in the manual. Maruti specifies
Why is this fully synthetic oil so cheap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Although the 0W40 grade is not necessary for our tropical climate, the oil itself is famous for its quality & life.
Does 0w40 grade oil degrade in hot climatic conditions?

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2017 at 23:20. Reason: Typos
anycatd is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks