Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:22   #1801
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Guys, just to clarify a gearbox oil of SAE xW-90 is about as thick as a SAE xW-40 engine oil. Read more here Don't forget gear oil

I quote:

Quote:
Gear oil differs from motor oil. While many motorists may assume SAE 90 gear oil is thicker than SAE 40 or 50 motor oil, they are actually the same viscosity; the difference is in the additives.
Also, the difference between 80W-90 and 75W-90 is marginal. The only difference is at ambient/cold temperature. The oil is of the same viscosity when hot. This cannot be the reason for hard shifts. My car's MT takes SAE 75-90 SAE 85W-90 and SAE 85.

Frothing is normally caused by overfilling the gearbox or engine. Do not overfill. And yeah, @Prithm, I hope there isn't a Shell oil counterfeiting operation running in Hyderabad? I've never heard of a single complaint from anybody using Shell products in the Mumbai Pune region.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 08:40   #1802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Guys, just to clarify a gearbox oil of SAE xW-90 is about as thick as a SAE xW-40 engine oil. Read more here Don't forget gear oil

I quote:

Also, the difference between 80W-90 and 75W-90 is marginal. The only difference is at ambient/cold temperature. The oil is of the same viscosity when hot. This cannot be the reason for hard shifts. My car's MT takes SAE 75-90 SAE 85W-90 and SAE 85.

Frothing is normally caused by overfilling the gearbox or engine. Do not overfill. And yeah, @Prithm, I hope there isn't a Shell oil counterfeiting operation running in Hyderabad? I've never heard of a single complaint from anybody using Shell products in the Mumbai Pune region.
Even though the difference seems marginal in terms of the numbers. In reality there is significant difference in the oils. 75w90 is very thin and fast flowing whereas 80w90 is much thicker.

Gearbox of my Pajero behaves totally different when the recommended 75w90 is used and when 80w90 is used. With 80w90 the shifts are very hard especially the first gear in the morning. Also the third gear gives a crunch sound when upshifting from second.

I used the same Shell 80w90 and experienced these issues. I also used Servo 80w90 and had the exact same problems. All this was done very recently when I changed all the fluids in my vehicle. The oil was bought from the company distributor at Bangalore.

In all I wasted almost 14 litres of 80w90 ( Shell and Servo) before I found Motul 75w90.

Immediately went in for Motul 75w90 and saw the difference both in viscosity and the effect it has in the shifts.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 09:00   #1803
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Even though the difference seems marginal in terms of the numbers. In reality there is significant difference in the oils. 75w90 is very thin and fast flowing whereas 80w90 is much thicker.
OK we are going OT: for this engine oil thread so I'll keep this post as short as possible as it is related to GB lubes.

The difference in viscosity is marginal when cold and the same when hot. Let me quote from here:

Quote:
For example, 75W-90 gear oil is about the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil; 80W-90 is about the same as 20W-40
The resource he's quoting is here: Gear oil evaluation

Quote:
Gearbox of my Pajero behaves totally different when the recommended 75w90 is used and when 80w90 is used. With 80w90 the shifts are very hard especially the first gear in the morning. Also the third gear gives a crunch sound when upshifting from second.
The mistake you made is using an oil that was not approved for the GB. If only ONE viscosity is recommended use only that grade. Just follow Mitusbishi's recommendations. My car's GB can use multiple grades so if required I can go in for a thicker or thinner oil. Currently it has Liqui Moly 75W-90 synthetic which is excellent. You could try this next time.

One more thing you need to be aware of is the GL specification. Most gearboxes take GL4, some take GL5. GL5 is not compatible with GBs that use GL4. Some cars can take either one. The new GL4+ oils satisfy requirements of GL4 and some of GL5. It is a mid point between the two specs. Motul 75W-90 is GL4+ so is LM's product.

Quote:
Immediately went in for Motul 75w90 and saw the difference both in viscosity and the effect it has in the shifts.
That's not surprising. It should make a positive difference because you are using an oil recommended for your transmission. In my experience transmissions are very sensitive to oils. The TCs, DSGs and CVTs even more so. Some trannys can take only OEM oils.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2018, 13:35   #1804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I bought Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40)
Using it in my Creta 1.6L CRDi. Very happy with the oil in my car.
Am happy to hear that the best brew in town in serving you well. I replaced it post 10k and all I can say is am very happy just like you
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 09:02   #1805
Senior - BHPian

This is a rather interesting oil that I came across. Liqui Moly so high grade semi synthetic with an excellent additive package.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01BDLWO1C/

Liqui Moly Touring High Tech 15W-40 ACEA E7,ACEA A3,ACEA B4,API CI-4,API SL Fully Synthetic Petrol/Diesel Engine Oil (3.5 L)

API CI-4 / ACEA E7 (the E shows it is an extended drain spec)

Never mind the API SL or the labeling as a Petrol / Diesel engine oil - this is a quite good package for diesel engines. Amazon pricing @ Rs.1212 for a 3.5 litre (1 gallon) can.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2018, 09:30   #1806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This is a rather interesting oil that I came across. Liqui Moly so high grade semi synthetic with an excellent additive package.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01BDLWO1C/

Liqui Moly Touring High Tech 15W-40 ACEA E7,ACEA A3,ACEA B4,API CI-4,API SL Fully Synthetic Petrol/Diesel Engine Oil (3.5 L)

API CI-4 / ACEA E7 (the E shows it is an extended drain spec)

Never mind the API SL or the labeling as a Petrol / Diesel engine oil - this is a quite good package for diesel engines. Amazon pricing @ Rs.1212 for a 3.5 litre (1 gallon) can.
Isint Rs.1212 for a Fully synthetic oil 3.5 liter too good to be true? Or is it an introductory pricing? Comes to ~Rs 350 a liter!
Old 12th November 2018, 09:43   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Isint Rs.1212 for a Fully synthetic oil 3.5 liter too good to be true? Or is it an introductory pricing? Comes to ~Rs 350 a liter!
The can has 'Mineralisch motorenol' in German on the label which AFAIK translates to "mineral motor oil". That listing on Amazon is misleading.

More importantly it's rated at 2.3 stars by customers. I'd stay away from this product. If one wants a good quality inexpensive oil there are other options for e.g. Shell Helix HX5 or HX7.
Old 12th November 2018, 09:51   #1808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The can has 'Mineralisch motorenol' in German on the label which AFAIK translates to "mineral motor oil". That listing on Amazon is misleading.

More importantly it's rated at 2.3 stars by customers. I'd stay away from this product. If one wants a good quality inexpensive oil there are other options for e.g. Shell Helix HX5 or HX7.
OK high grade mineral. However it is rated ACEA E7 and CI4 but just API SL - my guess is the comments are from some poor souls who went and poured it in petrol engines after seeing the "high tech" and "petrol / diesel motor oil"
Old 12th November 2018, 10:02   #1809
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK high grade mineral. However it is rated ACEA E7 and CI4 but just API SL - my guess is the comments are from some poor souls who went and poured it in petrol engines after seeing the "high tech" and "petrol / diesel motor oil"
At CI4 it is good stuff for diesels.

But I think the problem is the expectation set by the misleading label. This is standard mineral and people probably jumped at it thinking they were getting synthetic for cheap.

To quote from one of the only 3 comments, 1 in 2016 and 2 in 2017, this product has received:

Quote:
Not worth the price, I used this on a ford Fiesta, and this oil didnt last too long. Within 5000KM the oil become unsaleable.. I would recommend Shell or Motul similar products
If one is willing to change oil at <5K kms then its ok I guess.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:08   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If one is willing to change oil at <5K kms then its ok I guess.
Considerably more than 5k when used in a Diesel!!!! E7 is a heavy duty oil for big diesels with extended drain intervals. Check out the datasheet here - and then see what the E specs mean in ACEA.

http://www.liqui-moly.eu/liqui-moly/...cument&land=DE

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

E7 - extended drain for engines without DPF but that have EGR
E9 - the same but for engines that have a DPF

Amsoil 5w40 is an E7/E9 besides CK4

Quote:
ACEA E7 Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV and Euro V emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is suitable for engines without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers so Driver Manuals and/or Dealers shall be consulted if in doubt.

ACEA E9 Stable, stay-in-grade oil providing effective control with respect to piston cleanliness and bore polishing. It further provides excellent wear control, soot handling and lubricant stability. It is recommended for highly rated diesel engines meeting Euro I, Euro II, Euro III, Euro IV, Euro V and Euro VI emission requirements and running under severe conditions, e.g. extended oil drain intervals according to the manufacturer's recommendations. It is suitable for engines with or without particulate filters, and for most EGR engines and for most engines fitted with SCR NOx reduction systems. E9 is strongly recommended for engines fitted with particulate filters and is designed for use in combination with low sulphur diesel fuel. However, recommendations may differ between engine manufacturers so Drivers Manuals and/or Dealers should be consulted if in doubt.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:22   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Considerably more than 5k when used in a Diesel!!!! E7 is a heavy duty oil for big diesels with extended drain intervals. Check out the datasheet here - and then see what the E specs mean in ACEA.
Not sure how many kms is considered extended drain but they do mention consulting the owners manual. But at the asking price I'd be happy if that oil stretches to even 7-8K without noticeable deterioration in performance.

I would not want to use any mineral oil for 10K in urban traffic plus our hot dusty environment. I speak from experience with Toyota (and Honda's) OEM Idemitsu mineral oil. Even a nice semi synthetic like Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix HX7 would be preferable.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:26   #1812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how many kms is considered extended drain but they do mention consulting the owners manual. But at the asking price I'd be happy if that oil stretches to even 7-8K without noticeable deterioration in performance.

I would not want to use any mineral oil for 10K in urban traffic plus our hot dusty environment. I speak from experience with Toyota (and Honda's) OEM Idemitsu mineral oil. Even a nice semi synthetic like Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix HX7 would be preferable.
City use counts as severe service for a diesel and this would surely reduce the planned drain interval. In practice you should be able to stretch this to 8-10k km given a few highway runs and a good quality filter (say Purolator).

Even with extended drain interval oils that trucks run to tens of thousands of kilometres (E series specs as I mentioned) - the pro truckers on BITOG do recommend that you periodically change the oil filter and top up the oil drained out when removing the old filter.
Old 12th November 2018, 16:46   #1813
KMT
BHPian

Can I use 15W 40 instead of 20W 40 for a 20hp kirloskar diesel (1500rpm)engine?
Old 12th November 2018, 16:51   #1814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Can I use 15W 40 instead of 20W 40 for a 20hp kirloskar diesel (1500rpm)engine?
Quite fine. Now if you were to say 10W30 that's outside the viscosity range of the other oil, but any oil that is within viscosity ranges (15 upto 40 instead of 20 upto 40 will cover the 20 .. but 10 upto 30 won't cover 30-40).
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 18:56   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried HP Milcy Turbo Tech?

Impressive spec for the price

https://www.hplubricants.in/products...bo-tech-15w-40

HP MILCY TURBO TECH grade is the super premium quality diesel engine oil made from the finest paraffinic base stocks and state of art additive technology

API CI-4 Plus/CI-4/CH-4, API SL/SJ
ACEA E7-04, E2-96
CAT ECF-1A, CAT ECF-2
Cummins 20071, 20072, 20076, 20077, 20078
MB 228.3
MTU Type 2
Global DHD-1
Volvo VDS-3
Mack EO-N PP03
MAN 3275

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com