Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 18:31   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Aray baba please read my post again. I am currently running this oil.
Oh. They have two signature series actually, one in A5/B5 and another in this CK4 so I was confused. If you are running this, unless it doesn't fit your budget or you have any cause for dissatisfaction, why not stick to the same oil?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 18:35   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Oh. They have two signature series actually, one in A5/B5 and another in this CK4 so I was confused. If you are running this, unless it doesn't fit your budget or you have any cause for dissatisfaction, why not stick to the same oil?
Its been a great experience but I would like to try something else. Have asked Amsoil for a quote for 4 quarts lets see. It is pricey yes. Hence want to try other cheaper options out. Heard good things about Shell , Motul & Liqui Moly. Any recommends?
Old 20th September 2019, 18:43   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been a great experience but I would like to try something else. Have asked Amsoil for a quote for 4 quarts lets see. It is pricey yes. Hence want to try other cheaper options out. Heard good things about Shell , Motul & Liqui Moly. Any recommends?
Castrol Magnatec Stop/Start 5w30 is pretty decent. As are even Idemitsu types as long as you change within 8k km.

If you want premium oils, Motul and Liqui Moly are both good.

Note - all these have 5w30 A5/B5 oils not dedicated diesel specific oils.

You can buy one gallon and one quart for your spec if Amsoil.
Old 20th September 2019, 18:47   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
Castrol Magnatec Stop/Start 5w30 is pretty decent. As are even Idemitsu types as long as you change within 8k km.

If you want premium oils, Motul and Liqui Moly are both good.

Note - all these have 5w30 A5/B5 oils not dedicated diesel specific oils.

You can buy one gallon and one quart for your spec if Amsoil.
I will pass Castrol. Can you give me names of those from Motul/LM/Shell pls? Amsoil doesnt sell gallon in that oil yet. TIA!
Old 20th September 2019, 18:53   #1955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will pass Castrol. Can you give me names of those from Motul/LM/Shell pls? Amsoil doesnt sell gallon in that oil yet. TIA!
Shell Helix HX8 5w30 is about the same quality as Idemitsu or Castrol. But a3/b4 5w30.

I am not seeing anything useful for you in Liqui Moly (5w30 a3/b4 not a5/b5 again)

Why don't you just fill Castrol or Idemitsu and change a bit more frequently if you're concerned? They're very well engineered oils.

Or a bit above those - https://www.amazon.in/Valvoline-Clim...inhydr18418-21
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 20:04   #1956

Quote:
Shell Helix HX8 5w30 is about the same quality as Idemitsu or Castrol. But a3/b4 5w30.

I am not seeing anything useful for you in Liqui Moly (5w30 a3/b4 not a5/b5 again)

Why don't you just fill Castrol or Idemitsu and change a bit more frequently if you're concerned? They're very well engineered oils.

Or a bit above those - https://www.amazon.in/Valvoline-Clim...inhydr18418-21

@hserus, Any suggestions for Nissan Terrano Diesel 85bhp. Which would be better for someone who runs 6-7K/ year (all city drive).
Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 20:29   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererashima View Post
@hserus, Any suggestions for Nissan Terrano Diesel 85bhp. Which would be better for someone who runs 6-7K/ year (all city drive).
Thanks
That is the same thing as the Renault Duster right. Renault's standard is not as easily available but there are a few brands.

There are a couple that have the RN 0700 / 0710 spec

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Syn...ateway&sr=8-10

I thought these guys just made sun film, windshield cleaner etc but they also make engine oils, looks like.

https://www.amazon.in/Wuerth-SAE-0W-...-1-spons&psc=1
Old 20th September 2019, 20:57   #1958

Quote:
That is the same thing as the Renault Duster right. Renault's standard is not as easily available but there are a few brands.

There are a couple that have the RN 0700 / 0710 spec

https://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Syn...ateway&sr=8-10

I thought these guys just made sun film, windshield cleaner etc but they also make engine oils, looks like.

https://www.amazon.in/Wuerth-SAE-0W-...-1-spons&psc=1
I read that 5W30 is suggested for Duster/Terrano although online platforms are debatable info. Given that RN0700 suggests ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA A5/B5. Should HX8 be worth it? or Castrol Magnatec?
Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:31   #1959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandererashima View Post
I read that 5W30 is suggested for Duster/Terrano although online platforms are debatable info. Given that RN0700 suggests ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA A5/B5. Should HX8 be worth it? or Castrol Magnatec?
Thanks
Both worth it. HX8 is a quite decent oil as are Valvoline and Castrol
Old 21st September 2019, 19:23   #1960
BHPian

Hi guys which would be the best suited synthetic oil for my endeavour 3.2 ??
Old 24th September 2019, 19:06   #1961
Senior - BHPian

A friend owns a Mahindra XUV 5OO with ~1,00,000 km on odo. He does 8-10k km/year, mostly highway drives and is planning to get the vehicle service outside MASS.

Please recommend an oil. Thank you
Old 24th September 2019, 19:20   #1962
Senior - BHPian

It's been about 2k km's since I switched over to Shell Helix Hx8 5w-30(bought on Amazon) from Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30. Initial impressions aren't that great and clearly the engine felt more refined with Castrol even after 10k km's. May be the Castrol oil suits the Quadrajet engine better, although both Shell & Castrol share the same specification. Or was I sold a counterfeit Shell ? I did check for all the holograms and the can seemed legit including the date of packaging.
Old 24th September 2019, 19:25   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
A friend owns a Mahindra XUV 5OO with ~1,00,000 km on odo. He does 8-10k km/year, mostly highway drives and is planning to get the vehicle service outside MASS.
Any good 15w40 CI4+ mineral oil will do the trick. Mobil Delvac MX or Shell Rimula R4 for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
It's been about 2k km's since I switched over to Shell Helix Hx8 5w-30(bought on Amazon) from Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30. Initial impressions aren't that great and clearly the engine felt more refined with Castrol even after 10k km's. May be the Castrol oil suits the Quadrajet engine better, although both Shell & Castrol share the same specification. Or was I sold a counterfeit Shell ? I did check for all the holograms and the can seemed legit including the date of packaging.
They are both quite good oils. Maybe you got some old or improperly stored stock from Amazon? I use HX8 on my wife's beater (petrol, not that it matters with an A3/B4 oil) i10 and it is reasonably smooth as far as I can see. Which car do you drive though?
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2019, 19:36   #1964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are both quite good oils. Maybe you got some old or improperly stored stock from Amazon? I use HX8 on my wife's beater (petrol, not that it matters with an A3/B4 oil) i10 and it is reasonably smooth as far as I can see. Which car do you drive though?

Tata Zest Quadrajet 90. The packaging date was a just a month old, back when I had bought it, it is the first thing that I had checked, unless engine oil ages like scotch.

Was just going through the reviews on Amazon, most users with the MJD engines were just about satisfied with the Shell. But, the ones who have written positively are having petrol cars.
Old 24th September 2019, 19:41   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

If you can find a dealer who sells it, Kixx D1 Platinum Plus by GS Caltex is a good oil too.

https://www.gscaltexindia.com/produc...il.aspx?PID=20

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 24th September 2019 at 19:43.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks