Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2020, 19:08   #2101
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
I made a blunder. Instead of 15w-50 for my XUV500, I used 0W-30 Helix Protect from Shell. They have a 5W-40 also, but lets just say I wasn't thinking straight. What is the recommend course of action? Drain it out and fill it up with a W-40?
Run it for a few thousand km and ditch it as soon as the engine starts to sound rough, I would say. Don't waste the oil, it is expensive.

The Mahindra default oil is a 5w30 ACEA C3 even if the alternative they recommend is a 15w40 mineral CH4 or higher.

Not Shell 5w40 that's again ACEA A3B4 like the 0w30. Use Shell Rimula R4 mineral oil, or Mobil Delvac MX etc mineral 15w40s that are CH4 or higher (CI4 / CI4+ usually), or 5w40 Synthetics that are specific for diesel like Mobil Delvac 1, Amsoil Turbo Truck.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2020, 19:46   #2102
BHPian

What can be the adverse effect on engine if the basic grade of engine oil I.e 5W30 is same but other components like ACEA A3B4 or ACEA C3 doesn't match .
Old 8th December 2020, 20:09   #2103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
What can be the adverse effect on engine if the basic grade of engine oil I.e 5W30 is same but other components like ACEA A3B4 or ACEA C3 doesn't match .
The specifications are documented here. For engines that have pollution filters beyond just EGR and Catalytic Converters - such as DPF, or all the other measures for BS6 compliance .. you might see much worse results

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

ACEA is a European standard while API is American.

Also this - for 4 stroke geared motorbikes https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php
Old 8th December 2020, 20:12   #2104
BHPian

I mean to know will the damage be to exhaust systems or to the engine itself.
Old 9th December 2020, 08:31   #2105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
I mean to know will the damage be to exhaust systems or to the engine itself.
Injectors, fuel system .. the oil is rather thin so your engine will run rougher than usual. The sheer number of additives Shell adds will mitigate this to some extent, but diesel engines produce a lot of soot and this oil will get useless quite soon. Still run it for a while.
Old 9th December 2020, 09:35   #2106
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The specifications are documented here. For engines that have pollution filters beyond just EGR and Catalytic Converters - such as DPF, or all the other measures for BS6 compliance .. you might see much worse results

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php
https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_eolcs.php

ACEA is a European standard while API is American.

Also this - for 4 stroke geared motorbikes https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php
Is there a mapping between between the API and ACEA standards?

Older Hyundai diesels followed API standard CH4 and above, the ones post 2016 follow ACEA standards for oil. So wanted to know if there are equivalent ACEA specification for a particular API specification.
Old 9th December 2020, 10:02   #2107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is there a mapping between between the API and ACEA standards?

Older Hyundai diesels followed API standard CH4 and above, the ones post 2016 follow ACEA standards for oil. So wanted to know if there are equivalent ACEA specification for a particular API specification.
I wouldn't bet on any mapping apart from what the manufacturer of the engine says. Check out this latest owners manual of new i20. For different engines (based on the geography it's sold) , there are grades that meet alternative specifications but not all. European specifications are geared towards long drain, API is more towards the interest of the petroleum companies.

All about diesel engine oils-img_20201209_095417.jpg

As you can see what they are saying is that if you use API it needs to be full synthetic, considering API does not certify oil as Full Synthetic nor does ACEA which is a self certification , you better stick to whatever the company provides else change the alternative oil at severe use interval.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:16   #2108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I wouldn't bet on any mapping apart from what the manufacturer of the engine says. Check out this latest owners manual of new i20. For different engines (based on the geography it's sold) , there are grades that meet alternative specifications but not all. European specifications are geared towards long drain, API is more towards the interest of the petroleum companies.
I understand.

I am curious. Hence my original post. The flagship Shell Helix Ultra is API-SN and I see owners using them in their Hyundai diesels which specifies API-CH4 and above. Even the HASS pours the above oil for customers who opt to get fleeced by agreeing to fully synthetic. There are banners of "Hyundai recommends Shell lubricants".

The only oil in their lineup which meets the standard is the Shell Rimula R4 which is an excellent mineral oil. However, the HASS just uses one shell oil, do not know which variant, across the petrol and diesel engines from Santro to Santa Fe. This is gross negligence. However, I do ensure that I carry my own 'right' spec oil as specified in the owners manual.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 10:17   #2109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you better stick to whatever the company provides else change the alternative oil at severe use interval.
Which is why I told him to change at 4-5k km (severe service is 10k km and normal change interval is 20k km on the XUV with Maximile Feo <- which most dealerships will tell you to change every 10k anyway).

Quote:
I am curious. Hence my original post. The flagship Shell Helix Ultra is API-SN and I see owners using them in their Hyundai diesels which specifies API-CH4 and above. Even the HASS pours the above oil for customers who opt to get fleeced by agreeing to fully synthetic. There are banners of "Hyundai recommends Shell lubricants".

The only oil in their lineup which meets the standard is the Shell Rimula R4 which is an excellent mineral oil. However, the HASS just uses one shell oil, do not know which variant, across the petrol and diesel engines from Santro to Santa Fe. This is gross negligence. However, I do ensure that I carry my own 'right' spec oil as specified in the owners manual.
Shell Helix Ultra is API SN and also ACEA A3/B4. The ACEA B spec is for light duty, small diesels. Which is why it works fine on petrol as well as diesel cars.

Hyundai needs 5w30 a3/b4 rated oils (newer Hyundais, technically - post 2018 - but they'll work fine on older ones as well). In Shell what you need is Shell HX8 5w30 or Shell Helix Taxi 5w30 (which by the way is a SN+ rated oil, so useful for turbo petrol engines like the newest Hyundais).

Most other 5w30s in the market are A5/B5 rated so only the Shell brands above (and I think one Castrol somewhere) are rated 5w30 A3/B4. I personally fill Shell Helix Taxi in my wife's Hyundai and it works quite well.

Last edited by hserus : 9th December 2020 at 10:29.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2020, 11:03   #2110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Hyundai needs 5w30 a3/b4 rated oils (newer Hyundais, technically - post 2018 - but they'll work fine on older ones as well). In Shell what you need is Shell HX8 5w30 or Shell Helix Taxi 5w30 (which by the way is a SN+ rated oil, so useful for turbo petrol engines like the newest Hyundais).

Most other 5w30s in the market are A5/B5 rated so only the Shell brands above (and I think one Castrol somewhere) are rated 5w30 A3/B4. I personally fill Shell Helix Taxi in my wife's Hyundai and it works quite well.
Considering the insane number if petrol and diesel engines Hyundai has it would be a challenge indeed to keep up with the oil specs. Their oil spec has changed for the new releases however it is going to be difficult to find those oils outside their shops. 5W30 SN+ works fine for those older engines.

They have updated their oils in the website now.

Quote:
I understand.

The older diesel engines , they all used pretty much the same spec, so no harm done in using whatever oil they were using. The latest ones in diesel and petrol will need a new spec oil in which the diesel one I'm not able to find in Amazon, for petrol it's the Helix ultra.

To answer your question - API SN+ may or may not meet the ACEA equivalent based on the sticker. Some meet C2/C3 some meet C5 although I cannot find one in Amazon India.
Old 9th December 2020, 18:35   #2111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The older diesel engines , they all used pretty much the same spec, so no harm done in using whatever oil they were using. The latest ones in diesel and petrol will need a new spec oil in which the diesel one I'm not able to find in Amazon, for petrol it's the Helix ultra.

To answer your question - API SN+ may or may not meet the ACEA equivalent based on the sticker. Some meet C2/C3 some meet C5 although I cannot find one in Amazon India.
ACEA C5 0w20 - what you need is Mobil 1 ESP X2 at a hefty 1300 a litre.
https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W20-Adv...dp/B01M27YIJW/

For the other specs -

ACEA A3/B4 - SAE 5 W 30 for a lot of the new ones, Shell HX8 5w30 or Shell Helix Taxi. Very few other brands.

API SN+ OW20 -
https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-IL...dp/B08D38XCB1/

API SN 0w20 -
Plenty to choose from, Mobil Super 3000, Mobil 1 MGA (quite good stuff!), Idemitsu etc
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:01   #2112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROOPER View Post
Is it safe to buy engine oil from Amazon? No fear of any counterfeit stuff?

My Hexa's 20k / 1 yr service will be up in a couple of weeks. Current mileage is 7300+ and could add another 1k+ km before service. So I have to stick to mineral oil for now.

Want to go for Mobil Delvac. Being sold on Amazon

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08GSYZBYW/...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Is it safe to go for it or should I try offline? Plus can't find any retailers nearby in Mumbai.
For Hexa use GS Caltex Platinum Kixx or HP Milcy Turbo tech 15w 40.
arvindmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 20:22   #2113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
For Hexa use GS Caltex Platinum Kixx or HP Milcy Turbo tech 15w 40.
Both good oils. Or Shell Rimula R4. This is another excellent oil, if somewhat underrated in India. Also approved by Tata Motors so it won't affect any warranty claims.

https://www.valvoline.com/en-india/o...e-premium-plus
Old 22nd December 2020, 02:33   #2114
BHPian

Hi Guys, would need your advise on changing engine oil for Mahindra Xylo E9 '13 version (2.2 L engine). Since the engine oil capacity is 6 to 6.5 liters which engine oil would you recommend?

Kindly let me know for both synthetic and semi-synthetic, have been filling semi till now and the vehicle has run 1.4 L kms.

- Can I try a different grade like 5w40 (synthetic) from the usual 15w40? I believe 15w40 does not come in synthetic

- Can truck engine oils be used for Mahindra diesels? Was just curious about it and would like to know your inputs

- Recommended engine oil brand?
Old 22nd December 2020, 03:06   #2115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaypillay View Post
Hi Guys, would need your advise on changing engine oil for Mahindra Xylo E9 '13 version (2.2 L engine). Since the engine oil capacity is 6 to 6.5 liters which engine oil would you recommend?
Just what semi synthetic oil have you been filling?

The spec that Mahindra asks you to fill if you don’t fill maximile feo is all truck oils.

Search previous posts - including one or two from the past few days for recommendations that mostly cover other Mahindra vehicles but will work for your Xylo.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks