Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2021, 21:05   #2236
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
Update on the engine oil:
Yep, I got this update early morning from the ASC on the day you visited the ASC. This raises a couple of questions-

1. What is the effect of using non-recommended oil in vehicle with DPF. You ran just 20km with it but what about those customers who have been using this oil for the last year? Who have had multiple services done in this period. Did the ASC give any explanation on this?

2. The ASC needs to mention the grade of the engine oil used in the bill? Shouldn’t they? The thread on wrong engine oil in a Honda city comes to mind. If anything goes wrong due to the ASC’s mistake we can hold them accountable if it’s there on the bill. Otherwise there’s no way to prove the oil grade if it only says “shell synthetic/mineral”
Old 14th August 2021, 05:29   #2237
Senior - BHPian

1. A part number is typically mentioned on the hill not just shell synthetic etc. And that will have a detailed spec for which oil has been filled.

2. Clogged dpf is likely over a period of time due to additional soot buildup. Not very many people will have run their vehicles for 20k in the past year, the vast majority maybe 1500-2k because of lockdown

3. The Honda case was worse - some dealer filled an ATF only oil (for Torque Converter gearboxes) into a Honda CVT leading to transmission failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
1. What is the effect of using non-recommended oil in vehicle with DPF. You ran just 20km with it but what about those customers who have been using this oil for the last year? Who have had multiple services done in this period. Did the ASC give any explanation on this?

2. The ASC needs to mention the grade of the engine oil used in the bill? Shouldn’t they? The thread on wrong engine oil in a Honda city comes to mind.
Old 1st September 2021, 19:14   #2238
BHPian

Dear all,

A clarification. My Tucson 2.0 CRDI went for it's 10,000 kms periodic maintenance service today. The owner's manual recommends ACEA C2 or C3 and 0W/5W/10W-30/40 engine oil. Attached screen grabs.

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot-20210901-7.08.50-pm.png
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot-20210901-7.09.03-pm.png

However, my service centre has filled ACEA C5 0W-20 from Servo. Just received the car and checked the receipt to find the deviation. How should I go about this? I understand 0W-20 has lesser viscosity compared to 0W-40 and might not offer enough lubrications in higher temperatures. Please advise. I will also take it up with the service centre first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance.
Old 1st September 2021, 19:25   #2239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramprakashr View Post
However, my service centre has filled ACEA C5 0W-20 from Servo. Just received the car and checked the receipt to find the deviation. How should I go about this? I understand 0W-20 has lesser viscosity compared to 0W-40 and might not offer enough lubrications in higher temperatures. Please advise. I will also take it up with the service centre first thing tomorrow morning. Thanks in advance.
Unless there is a service bulletin from the company to the dealer that your vehicle can use 0W20, do not agree to it. Get it changed.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 21:33   #2240
BHPian

Quote:
My Tucson 2.0 CRDI went for it's 10,000 kms periodic maintenance service today. The owner's manual recommends ACEA C2 or C3 and 0W/5W/10W-30/40 engine oil.

C5 0W20 is too thin and not complying with factory recommendations.
Select C3 for maximum oil film thickness and for higher protection against components wear.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:03   #2241
BHPian

Thank you Kosfactor and Zeng for your responses.

I visited the service centre today and talked to my SA (yesterday's service was a pick up and drop). He showed a notification which says for all BS6 Diesel engines use the ACEA C5 0W20 spec. There was also another notification that says use the spec for all 1.2L and 1.5L BS6 Diesel engines. There's no mention of 2.0L diesel anywhere. Apparently, 0W20 is the highest spec that Hyundai has supplied them with.

Not convinced, I came back home and called up Hyundai and they asked me to talk to the service centre escalation manager. I'd called him up and he said he will check and come back, but assured that since it's being invoiced at his dealership, they'll take full responsibility of any shortcomings. He was a cheerful guy and said this is one technical question that he has received an escalation on after years and usually it's about poor cleaning or bill disputes etc.,

They're yet to come back. I will keep this thread updated.
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:08   #2242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Kosfactor and Zeng for your responses.

I visited the service centre today and talked to my SA (yesterday's service was a pick up and drop). He showed a notification which says for all BS6 Diesel engines use the ACEA C5 0W20 spec.
0w20 C5 is fine for the 2 liter BS6 diesel (I assume an Alcazar), go ahead.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil

Alcazar Petrol (3rd Gen 2.0) API SN+ OW 20 4.3 L 385 385
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:09   #2243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It's for the Tucson, Sir. The link says API SM - SAE 5 W 30 for the Tucson 2.0 CRDI. Thanks.

Quote:

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil
My bad! I quoted the petrol one. Unfortunately 2.0L Diesel is not listed in this link :(

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th September 2021 at 10:39. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:16   #2244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My bad! I quoted the petrol one. Unfortunately 2.0L Diesel is not listed in this link :(
If you have a 2 liter BS6 diesel you're fine with the C5 0w20. If you have the old 2 liter engine 5w30 works fine.
Old 5th September 2021, 08:45   #2245
BHPian

BHPians,
I own a 2010 fortuner which has clocked 92K kms and will be going for the next oil change at 95K kms. The car has been regularly serviced at toyota every 5K kms and toyota has always used the SN C2 5W30. I wanted to try the AMSoil 5W40 turbo diesel truck engine oil this time. Any leads on whether this will be good and if toyota will keep topping up with 5W40 will be appreciated. Cheers
Old 5th September 2021, 19:22   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK2001 View Post
BHPians,
I own a 2010 fortuner which has clocked 92K kms and will be going for the next oil change at 95K kms. The car has been regularly serviced at toyota every 5K kms and toyota has always used the SN C2 5W30. I wanted to try the AMSoil 5W40 turbo diesel truck engine oil this time. Any leads on whether this will be good and if toyota will keep topping up with 5W40 will be appreciated. Cheers
This will be a good oil to use. Make sure that you don’t mix it with Toyota oil.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2021, 23:21   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
This will be a good oil to use. Make sure that you don’t mix it with Toyota oil.
Hi Hserus,
The car currently stands at 92500 kms, and the next oil change will be performed at 1 lakh kms. Should an engine flush be performed before pouring the AMSoil 5W40 or should it just be added like that?
Old 6th September 2021, 08:03   #2248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Hserus,
The car currently stands at 92500 kms, and the next oil change will be performed at 1 lakh kms. Should an engine flush be performed before pouring the AMSoil 5W40 or should it just be added like that?
No need if you have done regular oil changes and there is no dark solid matter coming out sticking to the dipstick (which happens if the vehicle was driven without oil change for long).

Just drain all the old oil out (let it drip for a bit more time to be sure) and fill the Amsoil. By the way are you sure you want to buy two cans of expensive oil? If so be sure you run the 10k km within the year or more than that .. or it is just not worth the expense, as you anyway have to change oil at the end of the year. For low running stick to the Toyota oil.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 10:40   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
No need if you have done regular oil changes and there is no dark solid matter coming out sticking to the dipstick (which happens if the vehicle was driven without oil change for long).

Just drain all the old oil out (let it drip for a bit more time to be sure) and fill the Amsoil. By the way are you sure you want to buy two cans of expensive oil? If so be sure you run the 10k km within the year or more than that .. or it is just not worth the expense, as you anyway have to change oil at the end of the year. For low running stick to the Toyota oil.
Hserus,
The car usually runs 10K-15K Kms in a year. One Us gallon(or 3.78 litres)of AMSoil diesel truck 5W40 oil costs Rs 2600. Will I require 2 gallons or would you again recommend sticking to AMSoil 5W30, which costs Rs 1000 for 950ml. I'm a little keen on trying out AMSoil, which is why I'm ready to go for the 5W30 as well.

Much appreciated
Old 6th September 2021, 10:47   #2250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hserus,
The car usually runs 10K-15K Kms in a year. One Us gallon(or 3.78 litres)of AMSoil diesel truck 5W40 oil costs Rs 2600. Will I require 2 gallons or would you again recommend sticking to AMSoil 5W30, which costs Rs 1000 for 950ml. I'm a little keen on trying out AMSoil, which is why I'm ready to go for the 5W30 as well.

Much appreciated
You anyway need 6.5 to 7 litres of oil for a drain and refill. So buy two gallons of the 5w30 or the 5w40 turbo truck as strikes your fancy. Old fashioned and robust Diesel engine that runs just fine even on 15w40 mineral so you should be ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks