Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2021, 10:26   #2221
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You see those mineral oils sold in 7.5 liter drums? Shell Rimula R4, Castrol GTX etc. Those all fit the spec that you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I switched over to Shell Rimula R4 from Delvac 1 on my 2010 i20 CRDi which needs a API CH4 and above oil.
Yes, mineral oils have a lot more options in ch4 and have been debating whether to shift. Just that I service only every 10k kms which is mostly on the highway so want to stick with synthetic. May be will try out Rimula this time and shift to delvac in case it becomes available early next year after 6-7k kms.
Old 11th August 2021, 10:35   #2222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Yes, mineral oils have a lot more options in ch4 and have been debating whether to shift. Just that I service only every 10k kms which is mostly on the highway so want to stick with synthetic. May be will try out Rimula this time and shift to delvac in case it becomes available early next year after 6-7k kms.
If your running is mainly highways, the Rimula R4 will last for 10K kms easily. But you can choose the change interval that you are comfortable with
Old 11th August 2021, 10:53   #2223
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
On my fluidic verna which needs a 15w40 ch4 mineral have been using the delvac 1 5w40 synthetic for the past 4 yrs.

However it is now out of stock everywhere and I cannot delay the service anymore.
This is the case with all automotive components , a spare parts dealer was telling me this week that even engine oil is out of stock with their distributors and he showed me the near empty rack, who would have thought that we`ll run out of engine oil among all things.

As if shortage wasn't enough, even spare parts quality has deteriorated - genuine bosch parts come with defects right out of the box.

This situation is very good for counterfeit manufacturers, they are going to fulfil the demand for original stuff, be very careful where you are getting the engine oil from.
Old 11th August 2021, 12:31   #2224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
I have absolutely no idea on what specification of engine oil was used in my car
Update:

Advaith ORR has just received the BS6 Diesel engine oil - 0W20 C5 rated fully synthetic oil.
Dhananjay_Desai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 22:49   #2225
BHPian

Quote:
But 5W-30 A5 is not the correct specification of oil as per Hyundai Creta 2020 owners manual.
I really really hope that they updated their oil with BS6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhananjay_Desai View Post
Advaith ORR has just received the BS6 Diesel engine oil - 0W20 C5 rated fully synthetic oil.
Update on the engine oil:

I had a pending ECM upgrade that was required as part of 10k service (could not be done last time because of some backend team software issue) and went to the showroom today.

I took help from the same service advisor and he took me to the barrel of oil that was being used. To my disappointment, it was 5W-30 A5/B5 spec.
I quickly showed him the Hyundai website and my car manual and we met the service manager to discuss on the same. Service manager verified the manual and made some calls to confirm the required oil and he asked me to wait in the lobby for sometime.

He came back saying that they have the updated oil in stock and he himself offered to replace the A5 one with the correct spec. He took me to the barrels to verify the spec and they had an unopened barrel of the perfect spec OW-20 C5 fully synthetic oil. He also reminded his team about double checking and using the new oil in BS6 diesels cars.

The service center personal were very supportive, both today and even last week during the service. They were polite and answered my pestering queries and had no issues with me looking over their work. Even today, when I was disappointed that something bad had happened, they handled my concerns well and no escalations were needed. Lucky part for me was that they had the required oil in stock, unlucky part was that service personal continued using the older spec oils and no one before me bothered to verify the same. I guess, mistakes happen, we are all humans. They were apologetic and eager to sort it out. There were quite a few service center personal gathered around the new barrel and this incident would have acted as a refresher course for them on oil spec. Service manager was very receptive of the feedback, he was eager to get it corrected and prevent similar future issues.

While we owners generally would go with whatever the service guys fill in, I was curious and alarmed from starting itself since there is an oil spec change for BS6 Hyundai diesels. On top that, the new spec oil was not something readily available in open market with very few matching products. While A5 could be very close to recommended C2 spec, it is still not the correct one (C2/C3/C5 are needed for cars with DPF). If I did not validate the spec, it would have been at the back of my mind all along till next oil change cycle. I should have just verified the oil used first time itself, and could have avoided the tension. More we read and try to understand a topic, more the worries and queries and tension it creates. I guess the positive is that we are able to figure out discrepancies that might otherwise be missed out.

They opened the new barrel and replaced A5 oil and even the filter (I had offered to replace filter from my pocket) free of cost.

Really happy that the service guys sorted it out as soon as it was brought to their notice. Just when I thought I might have a tough day ahead, they pitched in to correct the issue. All is well that ends well. Hopefully, from now on they will keep an eye on the correct spec of oil for newer cars.

Quote:
I have absolutely no idea on what specification of engine oil was used in my car
So, after running exactly 20kms with an A5 oil, my car now has Shell Helix HX8 AH Diesel OW-20 ACEA C5 fully synthetic engine oil, the prefect recommended spec. I could not find the same online or in shell website. From the few dealers I checked with, only Advaith stocks shell oil. At Rs 934 per litre, there is no better fully synthetic alternative compared to this one. I will get my next oil change also done from same place, but yes, will validate that exact spec is used.
srikanthmadhava is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:31   #2226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, after running exactly 20kms with an A5 oil, my car now has Shell Helix HX8 AH Diesel OW-20 ACEA C5.
Shell oils tagged AH are solely supplied to manufacturers service centres in large drums, they are not sold on the retail market.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 01:20   #2227
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Shell oils tagged AH are solely supplied to manufacturers service centres in large drums, they are not sold on the retail market.
Quote:

So, after running exactly 20kms with an A5 oil, my car now has Shell Helix HX8 AH Diesel OW-20 ACEA C5 fully synthetic engine oil, the prefect recommended spec. I could not find the same online or in shell website. From the few dealers I checked with, only Advaith stocks shell oil. At Rs 934 per litre, .
10K service ( at 8900 km) of my Seltos was done last day and the same spec mineral oil was used as it is the only one available in Kia showroom. When should I change the oil next time? Is it safe to run 10000 km or should I adhere to 5000 km or 7500 km?
anb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 05:52   #2228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
10K service ( at 8900 km) of my Seltos was done last day and the same spec mineral oil was used as it is the only one available in Kia showroom. When should I change the oil next time? Is it safe to run 10000 km or should I adhere to 5000 km or 7500 km?
What oil does your Seltos specify and what oil was filled? Is it a bs6 seltos with dpf? Please don’t just say mineral, figure out from the dealer and compare it with what is specified in your car manual.
Old 12th August 2021, 07:54   #2229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He came back saying that they have the updated oil in stock and he himself offered to replace the A5 one with the correct spec. He took me to the barrels to verify the spec and they had an unopened barrel of the perfect spec OW-20 C5 fully synthetic oil. He also reminded his team about double checking and using the new oil in BS6 diesels cars.
They were having surplus stock of older spec oil (which they need for older vehicles) and were using it merrily until a smart customer like you took them to task.

While individual packs are wasteful, I think that is the only way to ensure we are getting the right engine oil.
Old 12th August 2021, 08:22   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the engine oil Kia A.S.S uses for diesel Seltos. The change interval is 10000 kms. Part number also mentioned, this should ideally reflect in the service bill too.

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20210812081443_whatsapp.jpg

Quote:
What oil does your Seltos specify and what oil was filled? Is it a bs6 seltos with dpf? Please don’t just say mineral, figure out from the dealer and compare it with what is specified in your car manual.
I always follow your posts on this thread. It's been extremely useful. Let me take this opportunity to thank you as well. Much appreciated.

Yes, Seltos from day one of launch is on BS6. please find the oil spec mentioned in the manual. Guess one can use the same Shell Helix HX8 AH Diesel OW-20 ACEA C5 for diesel Seltos too which Srikanth has mentioned in below post.

All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20210812081933_dropbox.jpg
Quote:
So, after running exactly 20kms with an A5 oil, my car now has Shell Helix HX8 AH Diesel OW-20 ACEA C5 fully synthetic engine oil, the prefect recommended spec. I could not find the same online or in shell website. From the few dealers I checked with, only Advaith stocks shell oil. At Rs 934 per litre, there is no better fully synthetic alternative compared to this one.
Thank you Srikanth for all the time and pain you've taken to do this research and get the exact information. This was precisely what I was looking for too. I too wanted to shift to synthetic since the first oil change on my diesel Seltos, apparently the very same engine as in your Creta. I didn't pursue further since I was getting contradictory information on the spec to be used. Hence I went with what A.S.S did with oil change. Now I plan to do this the next time for my 30k service.

I get my car serviced at Advaith Kia, Lalbagh Road. They did not have the synthetic oil stock earlier. I'll check with them again or even push to get this since if Advaith Hyundai can source it, Advaith Kia can have it too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th August 2021 at 08:44.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 09:02   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I get my car serviced at Advaith Kia, Lalbagh Road. They did not have the synthetic oil stock earlier. I'll check with them again or even push to get this since if Advaith Hyundai can source it, Advaith Kia can have it too.
I suppose this 0w20 is signfiicantly more expensive than the previous oils, so the dealers are happily filling the cheap oil for bs4 cars to avoid customer complaints. If there is a dpf issue some years down the line then they have a nice repair bill to hand the customer too.

Most customers won't even notice because they are not going to run their cars 10k km a year and they are probably going to sell the car and replace it in 3 years, well before any issue presents itself from using the older spec of oil
Old 12th August 2021, 09:20   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I suppose this 0w20 is signfiicantly more expensive than the previous oils, so the dealers are happily filling the cheap oil for bs4 cars to avoid customer complaints. If there is a dpf issue some years down the line then they have a nice repair bill to hand the customer too.
Did you mean to say BS6 cars?
Kia uses the HP oil which is much cheaper. It should be a mineral oil right? It's well under 2000₹(can't recollect the exact price) for 4.8 litres. Since they're using the oil as per manufacturer specifications I don't think DPF issues can crop up for this reason alone.

Going by the price Srikanth mentioned, it would cost close to 5000₹ (4.8 litres)for the Shell fully synthetic Oil.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 12th August 2021 at 09:22.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:18   #2233
BHPian

Quote:
When should I change the oil next time? Is it safe to run 10000 km or should I adhere to 5000 km or 7500 km?
From the info I could gather, OW-20 has semi synthetic (Rs405/l) and fully synthetic (Rs934/l) versions available at dealerships.
As long as your driving conditions are not tagged as extreme in the user manual, oil + filter change interval of 1 year and 10K kms should be good enough. For a highway driven vehicle, I see no reason for early change of oil. Check your manual on what all conditions qualify as extreme.

Some extreme conditions that I can recollect from Creta manual are:
1. High percentage of bumper to bumper traffic.
2. High percentage of ghats.
3. Dusty conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
They were having surplus stock of older spec oil (which they need for older vehicles) and were using it merrily until a smart customer like you took them to task
It felt like a genuine human error and not an intentional one. They had just 1 barrel of OW-20 available among a sea of older barrels. Even in the service bay, there were only few BS6 models compared to huge quantity of older models and I think their oil usage would still tilt heavily towards older spec for few more years. BS6 Creta sales would have picked up only around June/July last year (because of lockdowns) and these are just coming in for their 1st oil change now.

Quote:
Kia uses the HP oil which is much cheaper. It should be a mineral oil right? It's well under 2000₹(can't recollect the exact price) for 4.8 litres. Since they're using the oil as per manufacturer specifications I don't think DPF issues can crop up for this reason alone.

Going by the price Srikanth mentioned, it would cost close to 5000₹ (4.8 litres)for the Shell fully synthetic Oil.
Even shell has a semi synthetic version of OW-20 C5 which costs around 2k from dealer(Mrp of a can may be even lesser).

Mine costed Rs 4400 including tax for 4.8L Shell fully synthetic. The catch here is that price of oil at service centers seem to be derived by Hyundai and can be seen in their website which mentions -
Quote:
Optional Product - Synthetic Engine Oil (All Models)
Indian oil cost Rs.860 / Ltr and Shell cost Rs. 934.00 / Ltr
For end customer, same price is quoted for all oil specs irrespective of them being newer or older or harder to procure. Not sure if Hyundai procures the oil and gives to the dealerships or if the dealer directly deals with the vendor.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...les/engine-oil
srikanthmadhava is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 10:28   #2234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

OW20 and even most 5W30/40 are synthetic. (Semi or full etc are debatable, and probably we will never know). Conventional oils will not be able to maintain the flow at cold temperatures that this grade is supposed to perform at - well into the minus 20's and 30's.

Do we really need ~ 5000 Rs oil for a daily drive car? I think it's expensive, I would rather pay for the cheapest oil approved by Hyundai that meets the specifications.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 20:39   #2235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Do we really need ~ 5000 Rs oil for a daily drive car? I think it's expensive, I would rather pay for the cheapest oil approved by Hyundai that meets the specifications.
My Verna CRDI has run 296k kms and all this while I’ve been using Mobil Delvac1 5w30 (full synthetic) every 15000kms.

I think it depends on the kind of usage your car sees.

My wife’s Tiago hardly runs and we use Mineral oil for that car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks