Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2020, 06:28   #2131
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Strange how Hexa is going to use 5W-30 oil. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Don’t know who’s is using this product. I have never seen any TASS stock up IOC servo oil, in Bangalore they use either Castrol or Mobil. In TASS Amrithsar I have seen them using Petronas engine oil.
Don’t understand what was the point in launching this oil when they don’t use it in their own service centre.
My guess is a lot of these engine head failures are due to the wrong oil, suitable for hatchbacks, being used and it being inadequate to lubricate the engine after filling such oil and running 10k km multiple times.

Fill mineral, or fill a diesel specific 5w40 synthetic oil like Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil Turbo Truck and I doubt this issue will occur for you.

That said the official recommendation from Ford for the *endeavour* is the same 5w30 oil that they use for Figo and Fiesta. It seems to work well enough. Innova / Fortuner also use 5w30. All these have much bigger engines (0.8 to 1 litre more displacement) than the Safari / Hexa 2.2.

Last edited by hserus : 25th December 2020 at 06:29.
Old 25th December 2020, 08:10   #2132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ask TASS to show you the circular where it is mentioned that API SN grade oil can be used in place of API CI4+ for hexa. If they are not able to show you the circular,ask them to give it in writing signed by the service manager on their company letterhead. Then you can take it up with Tata.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My guess is a lot of these engine head failures are due to the wrong oil, suitable for hatchbacks, being used and it being inadequate to lubricate the engine after filling such oil and running 10k km multiple times.
I honestly don’t want to waste time running behind TASS and Tata’s customer care considering how much apathetic they’re towards more serious issues. I’m sure the collective response would be, why worry, we have you covered under warranty till you use the oil we provide. I’ll still send an enquiry mail to Tata.

My only concern is whether I can use the current oil they filled up, for the time being, probably 5-7k kms. Will it be safe, or cause any permanent damage? Then I’ll switch to a CI4+ oil, and use the same even at TASS.

I don’t understand. A fellow owner did the same scheduled service at the same TASS 2 weeks ago and they filled up GTX 15w40 CI4+. Only difference is they used 5w30 for my car with it being under silver amc.

Last edited by TROOPER : 25th December 2020 at 08:12.
TROOPER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2020, 11:08   #2133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sometime back oil leak from exhaust manifold area was reported in many Hexas in our forum belonging to certain time period , Trooper is well aware of it that it was not a one off case and was reported for Safari with the same engine as well.

Why did the oil reach the exhaust manifold is the question , if the leak was not observed from the exhaust manifold packing it would have damaged everything downstream from the exhaust eventually, including turbo and EGR (this thing in varicor is very expensive). It was not caused by the oil itself, some defect in manufacturing or assembly of certain batches of the engine head is what can be gathered from our forum threads.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 21:47   #2134
BHPian

Dear fellow T-BHPians, I request your advice.

I have a 2020 Hyundai Tucson Diesel BS6 car. The car has DPF and SCR both. I want to change the engine oil (first change). I have been looking for the right engine oil for a month now but I am not able to figure out the compatibility. The manual says ACEA C2/C3 5W-30 or 5W-40 (please see this post by senior a4anurag (2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT)).

I found Mobil1 ESP, it seems to be DPF compatible but does not mention ACEA C2/C3. Is this a good oil? I don't want to put a super expensive oil in there because it will get changed out during the 10k km service, but at the same time I don't want to put a cheap oil in there either.

Is Mobil1 ESP ok? Or should I look for alternatives? Please suggest.
Old 11th January 2021, 06:04   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 1 ESP is an excellent oil and is definitely c2/c3 compatible - see the back of the can in the photos if the specifications are not listed on the Amazon page

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-5W-30-Fu...dp/B00SFNNTSE/

Many other oils on amazon as well if you just search for acea c2 or acea c3.

Shell in 0w30, liqui moly molygen 5w30 c2/c3 or cheaper there is Idemitsu 5w30 a5/b5/c2 which is also a decent oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraticAmoeba View Post
The manual says ACEA C2/C3 5W-30 or 5W-40 (please see this post by senior a4anurag (2020 Hyundai Tucson Facelift Review : 2.0L Diesel with 8-speed AT)).

I found Mobil1 ESP, it seems to be DPF compatible but does not mention ACEA C2/C3. Is this a good oil? I don't want to put a super expensive oil in there because it will get changed out during the 10k km service, but at the same time I don't want to put a cheap oil in there either.

Is Mobil1 ESP ok? Or should I look for alternatives? Please suggest.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2021, 22:41   #2136
BHPian

Hi All,

I own a 2019 Hyundai Elite i20 Asta(O) Diesel which has run 27k kms approx. till date. I have just completed first paid service for the car (technically it’s 4th service including the 3 free services which were completed as per the service interval mentioned by Hyundai).

The ASC guys changed the engine oil as per the schedule in every service and they are using a servo mineral oil. I have been advised by the service advisor to go for fully synthetic oil only after 30k kms. I usually drive 10k kms in 6 months but due to lockdown I am expecting to drive only 3 to 4k kms until my next service schedule which is due by Dec’21 and hence I went ahead with the usual mineral engine oil used in ASC for the service that was done a few days back.

From my next service I want to go for Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and I am unable to procure it in Bengaluru.

Any leads will be very helpful and thanks in advance
Old 21st January 2021, 22:55   #2137
BHPian

Have a query:

Mobil 1 0w-40 Fully Synthetic Vs Shell Rimula R4.

Which among the above is better for Nissan terrano 110 Diesel? Is 0w40 an overkill?

Recommended grade 5W30.
Old 22nd January 2021, 12:19   #2138
Senior - BHPian

What does the specification in your manual say? There should be more beyond just "5w30" in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Have a query:

Mobil 1 0w-40 Fully Synthetic Vs Shell Rimula R4.

Which among the above is better for Nissan terrano 110 Diesel? Is 0w40 an overkill?

Recommended grade 5W30.
Old 23rd January 2021, 15:14   #2139
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu.reddy92 View Post
From my next service I want to go for Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 and I am unable to procure it in Bengaluru.

Any leads will be very helpful and thanks in advance
I just brought a 5 litre can of Delvac 1. FYI, I have been using this oil in my first gen i20 diesel for the past 7 or 8 years, you won't regret.
All about diesel engine oils-pxl_20210123_081110986.jpg

Google for West Coast Motors, Sheshadripuram, u will get the number, call them and go. He is a authorised dealer.

West Coast Motors,
No. 126,, 2nd Main Rd, Seshadripuram, Bengaluru, Karnataka

Last edited by rbp : 23rd January 2021 at 15:17. Reason: Added a few more details
rbp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 11:22   #2140
BHPian

Quote:
What does the specification in your manual say? There should be more beyond just "5w30" in there.

This is what I could find:

All about diesel engine oils-b1fcbf9d62664c17aa0575d79901364f.jpeg
Old 24th January 2021, 12:14   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I could find:
Oh A3B4? Just fill Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and be happy in that case.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 17:37   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Oh A3B4? Just fill Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and be happy in that case.
Thanks Hserus.

What about the mobil delvac 1 (posted above) or shell rimula r4. Would it cause any issues, the 15w40 grades.

I felt engine was more noisy with shell helix ultra. (Was my last oil before mobil 1 0w40)

Last edited by SideView : 24th January 2021 at 17:39. Reason: Adding more info
Old 24th January 2021, 22:03   #2143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hserus.

What about the mobil delvac 1 (posted above) or shell rimula r4. Would it cause any issues, the 15w40 grades.

I felt engine was more noisy with shell helix ultra. (Was my last oil before mobil 1 0w40)
It is a diesel specific truck engine oil. Kind of heavy duty for a 1.5 liter engine. Scorpio / Safari type vehicles will be happy with it, but it shouldn’t do your car much harm. Change oil early though.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2021, 20:19   #2144
BHPian

Need some advice on Engine Oil change for my Ritz D. I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 Fully Synthetic Oil for the past 2-3 Oil changes every 8k Kms.
This the Mobil 1 i am currently using:

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W-40-Advanced-Synthetic-Motor/dp/B00SFNO0UK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=mobil+10w40&qid=16119 28690&sr=8-9

This time, i am thinking of trying Motul Fully Synthetic 5w40 Engine Oil for the DDiS Engine. Found below 2 Options in Amazon:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B071P6NVB7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=AT95IG9ONZD7S&psc=1 - Says Does Not fit Ritz D.

https://www.amazon.in/Motul-CRDi-Diesel-Synthetic-Petrol/dp/B078G9QNBW/ref=psdc_5258095031_t3_B071P6NVB7 - Says fits Ritz D.

I trust Team-Bhp more than Amazon.
Can i get some expert advice which Mobil Oil should i opt for and which is a better fit for 1.3 Multijet DDiS Diesel Engine? Or do i stick with Mobil 1?
Old 29th January 2021, 21:09   #2145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Need some advice on Engine Oil change for my Ritz D. I have been using Mobil 1 0w40 Fully Synthetic Oil for the past 2-3 Oil changes every 8k Kms.
You can have a look at this thread in the link below, it has MGDO available with Ritz`s picture on the can for good measure. But there are other MGDOs available as well that meets the requirements. You can use a suitable one as per the temperature chart in your user manual. MGDO of course being affordably priced as well.

Link (Approved Engine Oils by Maruti Suzuki)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks