Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2019, 21:11   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Thanks,Spark for your reply. I think you may be right as now I can remember that I have changed engine oil about 2000 to 2500 Kms earlier then required based on 1 year coming earlier then required number of kilometers , so may be that can be the reason.
Yes - that alert will turn up every one year or ten thousand km and will need to be reset. Often some simple but undocumented procedure like pressing the accelerator and brake together while the engine is on but not started.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:26   #2027
BHPian

I am planning to get my XUV serviced next week, was checking on the Liqui Moly Molygen Generation 5W-40 and wanted to confirm if the same can be used

I had used Castrol Edge last year.

Also, Is the Schaeffer Manufacturing 9000-012S Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic Engine Oil, 5W-40 worth the premium cost ?

Await your precious feedback on the queries.
Old 2nd January 2020, 13:34   #2028
Senior - BHPian

None of the above. The spec calls for API CH4 or higher not these dual use petrol diesel oils.

Fill plain shell rimula r4 type CI4 / CI4+ mineral oil, Maximile FEO from Mahindra or buy Mobil Delvac 1 / Amsoil 5w40 Turbo Truck if you want synthetic diesel oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayurpalav View Post
I am planning to get my XUV serviced next week, was checking on the Liqui Moly Molygen Generation 5W-40 and wanted to confirm if the same can be used

I had used Castrol Edge last year.

Also, Is the Schaeffer Manufacturing 9000-012S Supreme 9000 Full Synthetic Engine Oil, 5W-40 worth the premium cost ?

Await your precious feedback on the queries.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2020, 15:07   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
None of the above. The spec calls for API CH4 or higher not these dual use petrol diesel oils.

Fill plain shell rimula r4 type CI4 / CI4+ mineral oil, Maximile FEO from Mahindra or buy Mobil Delvac 1 / Amsoil 5w40 Turbo Truck if you want synthetic diesel oils.
My 2012 Scorpio Mhawk 2.2, at 1,30,000 KMS is due for a oil change, so far i am using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 thinking it is compatible with Mahindra's recommended standards. Apparently not, it is API CF/SN, whereas recommended is API CH-4 and SAE 15w-40.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

But, the Shell oil did give a smooth feeling, now if i want to continue with fully Synthetic, what options do i have, Mobil Delvac 1?
How's the smoothness with Mobil Delvac 1.
Any idea of North Bangalore distributors? I would prefer in store purchase rather than Amazon.
Old 2nd January 2020, 20:42   #2030
Senior - BHPian

Mobil Delvac 1 (rated CI4+) or Amsoil CK4 rated oils (Turbo Truck or Max Duty 5w40)

Dont use Shell Helix Ultra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyFreak View Post
My 2012 Scorpio Mhawk 2.2, at 1,30,000 KMS is due for a oil change, so far i am using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 thinking it is compatible with Mahindra's recommended standards. Apparently not, it is API CF/SN, whereas recommended is API CH-4 and SAE 15w-40.
Please correct me if i am wrong.

But, the Shell oil did give a smooth feeling, now if i want to continue with fully Synthetic, what options do i have, Mobil Delvac 1?
How's the smoothness with Mobil Delvac 1.
Any idea of North Bangalore distributors? I would prefer in store purchase rather than Amazon.
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:51   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Mobil Delvac 1 (rated CI4+) or Amsoil CK4 rated oils (Turbo Truck or Max Duty 5w40)

Dont use Shell Helix Ultra.
Thanks.
Have ordered Mobil Delvac 1 from Amazon (vendor is Nirmal Store, should be genuine distributor as it is listed in mobil webiste)
Planning to use a flush for the existing oil, then Ceratec with Mobil Delvac 1.
Hope that should smoothen the engine vibrations.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 11:57   #2032
BANNED

Quote:
Planning to use a flush for the existing oil, then Ceratec with Mobil Delvac 1.
In the 1,20,000 kms that the car has covered and all services (read oil + oil filter change) have happened in-time, then the need to use the 'flush' can be avoided.

Let the old oil drain properly and as much as possible. Change the oil filter and then add the fresh oil.

Should do good to the engine. Ceratec you can add if you want though.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:04   #2033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
In the 1,20,000 kms that the car has covered and all services (read oil + oil filter change) have happened in-time, then the need to use the 'flush' can be avoided.

Let the old oil drain properly and as much as possible. Change the oil filter and then add the fresh oil.

Should do good to the engine. Ceratec you can add if you want though.
Ya, All oil changes are on time.
I had used flush in the previous oil change, this time i want to use to give a clear base for Ceratec.
I have contradicting opinions from FNG about flush at 1,30,000. Some say it's good to remove carbon and others say it will be expose the seals and can cause leakage.
Maybe, draining the old oil completely and then new oil with Ceratec should be good for the engine.
gypsyFreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 12:37   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya, All oil changes are on time.
I had used flush in the previous oil change, this time i want to use to give a clear base for Ceratec.
I have contradicting opinions from FNG about flush at 1,30,000. Some say it's good to remove carbon and others say it will be expose the seals and can cause leakage.
Maybe, draining the old oil completely and then new oil with Ceratec should be good for the engine.
You've been using synthetic engine oils all the time and that by itself has its fair share of additives and detergents to clean out carbon deposits. Don't bother flushing and don't add ceratec.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2020, 23:15   #2035
BHPian

Hi, need some inputs for Diesel Sunny.

Current odo reading is close to 84,000 kms.

Since past 3 services (after odo crossed 50,000 kms) I have not been relying on the authorized service center for changing the engine oil as I was skeptical about them using large drums instead of 4.5 ltrs. "Made for Nissan by Mobil / Shell" cans.

Last 3 oil changes have been at Shell bunks -

Shell Helix HX5 10W-30 (once)
Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (twice)

The excerpt from the car manual enclosed here talks about 2 things -

1. ACEA B1/B5 oil

2. Preferred viscosity of 5W-30

I think none of the Shell Helix mentioned above are B1/B5.

1. The 10W-30 is A3/B3.

2. The 5W-40 seems to be A3/B4.

I am dropping my vehicle for service tomorrow, and have a 3000 kms. trip planned for Jan 25.

The last oil change was in Jun-Jul 2019, and the vehicle has run 6,500 kms. after that, however, I wish to change it after servicing, and with the correct oil this time as per manufacturer specifications.

Appreciate if someone can tell me my options.

Googling B1/B5 Diesel engine oil gives me -

1. Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE (A5/B5 grade) - >1329/- Amazon

2. Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 Fully Synthetic - >1640/- for 3 ltrs. on Flipkart.

3. Liqui Moly Synthoil 0W-40 ACEA A1,ACEA A5,ACEA B1,ACEA B5 Fully Synthetic Petrol/Diesel Engine Oil - >3200/- for 4 ltrs. on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-1578071688017.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-1578071698806.jpg  

Safety is Param is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 04:01   #2036
Senior - BHPian

ACEA B1 is an old standard now replaced by B5. So any of the 5w30 a5b5 oils should work fine and the market is full of them.

The Mobil and Castrol ones below are fine or plenty of other oils in this grade and acea rating - Valvoline All Climate Advanced, Idemitsu etc. if you’re feeling rich buy the Amsoil 5w30 signature series a5/b5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Hi, need some inputs for Diesel Sunny.

1. ACEA B1/B5 oil

2. Preferred viscosity of 5W-30

1. Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE (A5/B5 grade) - >1329/- Amazon

2. Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 Fully Synthetic - >1640/- for 3 ltrs. on Flipkart.

3. Liqui Moly Synthoil 0W-40 ACEA A1,ACEA A5,ACEA B1,ACEA B5 Fully Synthetic Petrol/Diesel Engine Oil - >3200/- for 4 ltrs. on Amazon.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th January 2020, 10:32   #2037
BHPian

Just gave the car for service, and out of curiosity asked them about engine oil.

They came up with this.

I asked them "why B4" when manual says B1/B5, to which they said "not sure, Nissan has been sending this to us".

I didn't go for replacement with them, but am surely confused now whether I should stick to what's written in the manual or the Service center.

Also, out of Castrol, Idemitsu and Valvoline, which is the recommended B5 5W-30? Since the later 2 were available in 3.5 ltrs only, I ordered the 5 litre Castrol Stop Start 5W-30 from Amazon at INR 24XX.

I can cancel this order and ask service center to use their oil if that doesn't make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-1578114159877.jpg  

Safety is Param is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 11:06   #2038
BHPian

What would be the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for 2016 Innova Crysta (2.4 MT-Z)with 45k on the odo.

I have been using toyota genuine synthetic oil and since the car is now out of warranty, I would like to try the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for the upcoming service.

Please suggest!

Last edited by drive_angry : 4th January 2020 at 11:11.
Old 4th January 2020, 12:24   #2039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
What would be the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for 2016 Innova Crysta (2.4 MT-Z)with 45k on the odo.

I have been using toyota genuine synthetic oil and since the car is now out of warranty, I would like to try the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for the upcoming service.

Please suggest!
Amsoil 5w40 diesel oil turbo truck. I use it for my verna fluidic. i wil be ordering new oil by the end of his month . Its ck4 oil.
M124 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2020, 12:45   #2040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I ordered the 5 litre Castrol Stop Start 5W-30 from Amazon at INR 24XX.
It is a decent oil and fits the spec you need so go ahead. A heavier weight engine oil like 10w40 won't make as much difference in a hot country like India so it shouldn't hurt your engine too much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post

Please suggest!
Toyota uses its own API SM/CF 5w40 engine oil regardless of petrol or diesel, and though the spec isn't published on the can I guess it is going to be an ACEA A3/B4 like most other 5w40 oils on the market. Just get for example Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 and it should work just fine. Or the Amsoil 5w40 Diesel that was recommended should work as well.

If you want to stick to Toyota service centres then just use their engine oil, it won't hurt the engine and you get a company service record that helps with resale value.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks