Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2019, 18:01   #1921
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Amsoil comes in gallon 3.78 liter and quart 948 ml cans. You might end up buying one of both and keep the rest for your next change. Feel free to go for the 5w30 signature for any Ford you have all the way up to the Endy.

Or get Idemitsu a5/b5 5w30 and that comes in a convenient 4 liter can. My fiesta runs perfectly ok with it.

Last edited by hserus : 13th July 2019 at 18:02.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 12:37   #1922
BANNED

eReturned the previous oil and bought Amsoi 5w30 signature series from Amazon. The oil is pricey but will be worth it if the level of refinement is perceivably better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Or get Idemitsu a5/b5 5w30 and that comes in a convenient 4 liter can. My fiesta runs perfectly ok with it.
This will be among the options in the next filling.

I would like to know more about sourcing the 4L cans. The online options are 3.5L packs only.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-img_20190718_122931_7.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-img_20190718_123050_1.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-img_20190718_123105_7.jpg  

Last edited by COMMUTER : 18th July 2019 at 12:38.
COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 14:48   #1923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
eReturned the previous oil and bought Amsoi 5w30 signature series from Amazon. The oil is pricey but will be worth it if the level of refinement is perceivably better.

This will be among the options in the next filling.

I would like to know more about sourcing the 4L cans. The online options are 3.5L packs only.
If you are able to afford regular amsoil fills feel free. Idemitsu is much better than the default oil but not any kind of competition to amsoil type boutique oils.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:16   #1924
BANNED

Quote:
If you are able to afford regular amsoil fills feel free. Idemitsu is much better than the default oil but not any kind of competition to amsoil type boutique oils.
I will be able to bear the pinch if I am required to do it just once every year. I feel that its getting more frequent now.

Amsoil has increased their prices by 400/- in less than a year. If they stick to this bad habit, or if my running increases, I might have to move away.

Idemitsu 5w30 4L pack is the only option I will be left with if this Amsoil gets out of my reach.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2019 at 16:57. Reason: As requested
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:10   #1925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Idemitsu 5w30 4L pack is the only option I will be left with if this Amsoil gets out of my reach.
I saw a 4 liter can of Idemitsu at my usual oil dealer in Chennai (VMS Oil Distributors, GP Road). I am sure most good oil stores in your city can source 4 liter Idemitsu cans for you.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 11:31   #1926
BHPian

Hi Suresh, I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a 2012 Aria Prestige. It has run 81xxx km and seems to be in reasonable shape as per the mechanic who helped inspect it. The car is at FNG for first service and they're probably going to Castrol semi synthetic. If I can source something online or offline at short notice, I will buy it and hand over to the FNG.

What oil should I use and at what intervals? It is my first diesel so am looking for your kind help. Thanks

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 19th July 2019 at 11:37. Reason: For clarification
Old 19th July 2019, 17:30   #1927
Senior - BHPian

You need api ch4 or higher for the standard 2.2 liter Varicor in the Aria.

So get any standard Diesel engine oil such as Shell Rimula R4, or if you’re feeling in the mood to spend get the Amsoil 5w40 turbo truck or Mobil Delvac 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi Suresh, I've finally taken the plunge and got myself a 2012 Aria Prestige. It has run 81xxx km and seems to be in reasonable shape as per the mechanic who helped inspect it. The car is at FNG for first service and they're probably going to Castrol semi synthetic. If I can source something online or offline at short notice, I will buy it and hand over to the FNG.

What oil should I use and at what intervals? It is my first diesel so am looking for your kind help. Thanks
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 17:47   #1928
BHPian

Quote:
You need api ch4 or higher for the standard 2.2 liter Varicor in the Aria.

So get any standard Diesel engine oil such as Shell Rimula R4, or if you’re feeling in the mood to spend get the Amsoil 5w40 turbo truck or Mobil Delvac 1.
Thanks. The Shell Rimula R4 shows up as mineral oil.

Wondering if switching to synthetic for a 81k engine will cause problems?

Couldn't find the Amsoil in stock on amazon, do you have a link for it please?

The Mobil one is available but quite expensive. I'll srill probably go with that.

Do you recommend any oil flush? Or any other like a radiator flush?
Old 19th July 2019, 21:13   #1929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wondering if switching to synthetic for a 81k engine will cause problems?
No particular problems caused, but your engine will do very well on mineral oil given Rimula R4 is CI4, one level of standard higher than CH4. Amsoil is CK4 - which is the latest after API CH, CI and CJ standards for diesel engine oils.

Rimula is a good oil and diesel engines can comfortably do 10k++ km without any loss of smoothness using it, go ahead.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2019 at 17:08. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 21st July 2019, 09:28   #1930
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. The Shell Rimula R4 shows up as mineral oil.
If the vehicle has had a not so good history of oil changes I'd advise a flush yes. Can help you procuring the Amsoil. Pls send me a message and I'll be happy to help you. Cheers!

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2019 at 17:09. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
coolmel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 19:03   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Bit the bullet & switched over to the Amsoil
Hey, how are you finding the Amsoil compared to Delvac? It's time for me to change oils for my Isuzu D-Max and I was considering this. I'm currently on Delvac 1.

Thanks!
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 19:22   #1932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hey, how are you finding the Amsoil compared to Delvac? It's time for me to change oils for my Isuzu D-Max and I was considering this. I'm currently on Delvac 1.

Thanks!
When I switched to Delvac from the Toyota it was a big difference at least initially. The engine felt more "free" and all that jazz. But over a period of time it felt like any other synthetic. And thats when Amsoil happened. The difference was clear. a 100% synthetic does show its qualities. Definitely more driveable, smoother and more peppy thanks to the combined use of the Amsoil Diesel Injector Cleaner + Cetane Boost, my mileage has more or less increased by a kilometre. There is no night and day difference so to say BUT she is definitely more rev happy as compared to the Mobil. Feels a lot less strained if I give it the stick.

I am on the 5w30 Signature Series and if you are planning to switch, shoot me a dm. Will be more than happy to help you procure it.

The combo of the Amsoil Radiator Coolant Boost + Diesel Injector Cleaner + Cetane Boost and their engine oil is a winner all the way. I also did use their Engine & Transmission Flush too.

Last edited by coolmel : 19th August 2019 at 19:23.
coolmel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 11:34   #1933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Thanks!
These are both good oils with excellent additive packages so you'll have smooth running. Delvac 1 is CI4+ and Amsoil is CK4 so you're going to have longer than Delvac 1 drain intervals possible with Amsoil, with some care taken, but that's about it.

For difference in smoothness and all you'll only find out after putting 20-30k km on either oil, both will have your engine feeling very happy anyway.
Old 3rd September 2019, 16:17   #1934
BHPian

Hello all,

Anyone having experience of using Shell HX7 Professional 5W-30 oil in the Ford Figo 1.5D?
This shows up as the recommended oil for Ford Figo/Aspire diesels on the Shell website.
All about diesel engine oils-shell_oil_figo.png

How was the performance of the oil in stop-go traffic?
And in highways?

Our car has run ~37k kms and is on the OEM engine oil (Castrol Magnatec?). The engine becomes a bit scruffy after some time in stop-go traffic.
It has been almost 7k KMs since the last oil change and I would like to try a different brand of oil.

Unable to find a dealer for Mobil Super 3000 x1 and Idemitsu seems to be available only in 3.5L packs which means I'll have to buy two and hardly use the 2nd one.
Old 3rd September 2019, 22:20   #1935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijitkanrar View Post
Hello all, Anyone having experience of using Shell HX7 Professional 5W-30 oil in the Ford Figo 1.5D?
This shows up as the recommended oil for Ford Figo/Aspire diesels on the Shell website.
I think that version of hx7 is only for bulk sales to service centres. So unless you want a 100 litre drum of the stuff, get the Idemitsu 5w30, I remember it being available in 4 liter cans when bought in an oil store rather than online. Feel free to use the default Ford oil and change within 8k km as well, that should work fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks