Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 11:04   #1786
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Don't know about the rate at which Delvac is available at brick and mortar stores but on Amazon, 5L 5W-40 is available for 5K. Helix Ultra 5W-40 5L is available for 3K. Why waste 2K for a technology designed for trucks, construction machinery, farm equipment, and not specified for light duty cars/SUV's. If i go solely by ACEA specs, you can even say it is not allowed in light duty vehicles. A simple comparison of specs between Delvac and Helix Ultra, reveals why light duty engine oils are preferred over heavy duty oils for our cars/SUV's.
I would be cautious about using Shell Helix Ultra available at 2298 rupees for a 4 litre can on Amazon. The usual oil shops offer it for 3600 or so, last time I bought it .. usually there's a maximum of 150-200 rupees difference when I buy on Amazon. The comments have some complaints of duplicate, water damaged etc stock being handed to them. The MRP is around 4600 for a 4 litre can, by the way.

Light duty is a very good spec for light use - but if you put 12k km in 6 months on your Scorpio like I do ..
Old 17th October 2018, 11:05   #1787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Don't know about the rate at which Delvac is available at brick and mortar stores but on Amazon, 5L 5W-40 is available for 5K. Helix Ultra 5W-40 5L is available for 3K.
I bought Mobil Delvac 1 (5W40) from Mobil Oil Distributor in Hyderabad (Rotex PetroChemicals, Tolichowki) for ₹3,925. It is a 5L pack.

All about diesel engine oils-img_20180908_145808600x1067.jpg

All about diesel engine oils-img_20180908_145813600x1067.jpg

Using it in my Creta 1.6L CRDi. Very happy with the oil in my car.
Old 17th October 2018, 11:09   #1788
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I would be cautious about using Shell Helix Ultra available at 2298 rupees for a 4 litre can on Amazon. The usual oil shops offer it for 3600 or so, last time I bought it .. usually there's a maximum of 150-200 rupees difference when I buy on Amazon. The comments have some complaints of duplicate, water damaged etc stock being handed to them. The MRP is around 4600 for a 4 litre can, by the way.

Light duty is a very good spec for light use - but if you put 12k km in 6 months on your Scorpio like I do ..
Cloudtail is the official retailer of Shell lubricants at Amazon. There is no question of duplicity if you buy from them. There are other sellers too on Amazon, who might be doing something shady. 12K in 6 months is light duty any day. The day you do 1.0L in 1 month, you might qualify for heavy duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Using it in my Creta 1.6L CRDi. Very happy with the oil in my car.
Why wouldn't you be happy after procuring a 5K product at 4K from a distributor . It's an oil and it will do its job, but the question is do you need it or not. The users of light duty oils aren't crying either. They too are happy.

Last edited by navin : 17th October 2018 at 11:18.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 11:17   #1789
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would be cautious about using Shell Helix Ultra available at 2298 rupees for a 4 litre can on Amazon.
My car has a petrol engine. I purchased SHU for my car back in Dec '16 and it was the real deal. As you know I've used SHU for about 8-9 years continuously. The seller was Cloudtail India and fulfilled by Amazon. In case you buy from another seller just make sure you check their reputation.

SHU is currently selling for just Rs 2298. Awesome value. IMO you can't get a better synthetic engine oil at that price. If its specs suit the engine by all means use it in a diesel vehicle but I'd always prefer a diesel specific oil. Conversely I wouldn't use a diesel spec engine oil in my car. Match the engine i.e the use case and oil is my rule of the thumb. But to each his own.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 17:19   #1790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My car has a petrol engine. I purchased SHU for my car back in Dec '16 and it was the real deal. As you know I've used SHU for about 8-9 years continuously. The seller was Cloudtail India and fulfilled by Amazon. In case you buy from another seller just make sure you check their reputation.

SHU is currently selling for just Rs 2298. Awesome value. IMO you can't get a better synthetic engine oil at that price. If its specs suit the engine by all means use it in a diesel vehicle but I'd always prefer a diesel specific oil. Conversely I wouldn't use a diesel spec engine oil in my car. Match the engine i.e the use case and oil is my rule of the thumb. But to each his own.
Fair enough. I am suspicious of the quality as there were one or two comments on that very Amazon link that suggest old and improperly stored oil at the very least.

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...dp/B00QK6PXPK/

The comments are rather badly spelled so I'm just screenshotting the original rather than pasting them here.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot-20181017-5.19.07-pm.png  

Old 17th October 2018, 17:44   #1791
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Fair enough. I am suspicious of the quality as there were one or two comments on that very Amazon link that suggest old and improperly stored oil at the very least. The comments are rather badly spelled so I'm just screenshotting the original rather than pasting them here.
Yes, there are negative comments but do consider a large majority i.e. 85% of the customers have rated it 4 & 5 Stars. Also, I take some reviews by Amazon buyers with a pinch of salt. Witness some claiming to ascertain quality of oil by rubbing it between the fingers and other such roadside-mechanic bunkum.

Of course if one is paranoid that can extend to B&M stores too because I know of some outlets in Pune that were (probably still are) notorious for adulteration of oils and other products. Inasmuch the same principle applies here. Select the online vendor/seller carefully.

Two sellers Pitzo and Cloudtail have ratings of 97% and 84% respectively over the past 12 months. I believe that indicates the product was the real thing. My own experience has borne that out. Cloudtail is definitely legit.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot.png  

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th October 2018 at 17:46.
Old 19th October 2018, 18:12   #1792
Senior - BHPian

Guys, my oil change interval at 161000 is up for my 2008 Swift Diesel, I will have to put the service station servo 15w40 if I don't find anything anything else.

The options are:
1) Shell Helix HX5 15W-40
2) Shell Rimula 15W-40

Which one should I go for?

Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 21:21   #1793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
My vote goes to Shell Helix HX5. It's easier on the pocket, plus the Shell website recommends the same for a 2008 Swift Diesel too.

All about diesel engine oils-shell.jpg

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 02:02   #1794
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, my oil change interval at 161000 is up for my 2008 Swift Diesel, I will have to put the service station servo 15w40 if I don't find anything anything else.

The options are:
1) Shell Helix HX5 15W-40
2) Shell Rimula 15W-40

Thanks
Buy a can of shell hx7 10w40, it's a universal oil of sorts! It does the job in most of the scenarios and isn't costly too. Do change the oil after 7500km though, otherwise the engine becomes rough but you can still pull it till 10k if you want. You will find it at any automotive shop!
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-screenshot_20181020020344.png  

Last edited by Rshrey22 : 20th October 2018 at 02:08.
Rshrey22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 19:23   #1795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Yes, there are negative comments but do consider a large majority i.e. 85% of the customers have rated it 4 & 5 Stars. Also, I take some reviews by Amazon buyers with a pinch of salt. Witness some claiming to ascertain quality of oil by rubbing it between the fingers and other such roadside-mechanic bunkum.

Of course if one is paranoid that can extend to B&M stores too because I know of some outlets in Pune that were (probably still are) notorious for adulteration of oils and other products. Inasmuch the same principle applies here. Select the online vendor/seller carefully.

Two sellers Pitzo and Cloudtail have ratings of 97% and 84% respectively over the past 12 months. I believe that indicates the product was the real thing. My own experience has borne that out. Cloudtail is definitely legit.
Though I was of same opinion R2D2-san, it has taken a sharp U-turn off late. I have been regular buyer of Shell 5w-40 from Amazon, my last 3 orders have been not upto mark.

I had to change it well before the usual ~7000ish Klicks and quality of oil was absolutely not usual. Vibration, noise and pickup all dropped significantly after 5000 klicks (all three times). I have now resorted to last option i.e to visit Shell bunk to get my cans. I am up for next change by this year end if my mile crunching progress in same pace.

I am not finger pointing at any of the online vendors or any retailers, but reporting my observation for benefit of fellows here.
Old 21st October 2018, 19:31   #1796
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
I am not finger pointing at any of the online vendors or any retailers, but reporting my observation for benefit of fellows here.
I hope people know that SHU and other Shell oils are being manufactured in India at their plant in Navi Mumbai. Wonder if this is a factor in reducing the quality? Here is a premium product that was being sold for Rs 3800-4000 for a 4 litre can and manufactured in Singapore or Qatar (when the US $ = INR 60-65) is now selling at a steep discount of 30-40% online. Something has to give. I haven't used SHU for since Jan and all was ok when I bought that can in Dec '16. The car is now on Mobil 1 ESP the next will be Amsoil Signature.

I also heard Liqui Moly are now manufacturing their lube products in India and there's been a drop in quality. If you are finding a drop in performance its probably time to shift to other options.

PS - the Palio 1.6 GTX uses HX7 semi synthetic. But the annual mileage is very low and the oil is changed at 1 year intervals regardless of mileage. So this is not a good test case to judge the oil. But the HX7 does make a difference. Its performance >5K kms is a question mark.

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st October 2018 at 19:34. Reason: added PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2018, 23:31   #1797
BHPian

The latest debacle with Shell was 80w-90 gear oil that I got. DZire needs 75w-90 which was hard to get in market & went with Shell. Little did I know that I was aiming to shoot my leg at point blank range. Gear shift deteorated in few 100 kms but since I was hoping for best I drove at least couple of 1000 Kms before losing all hope.

Limped back to MASS and got Total 75w-90 stock & vowed not to return to Shell 80w-90. Something is seriously wrong with their product nowdays. Not sure if it's localized or pan India, but they just have to tighten their buckle for stiff competition in Indian market now.
Old 22nd October 2018, 00:02   #1798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest debacle with Shell was 80w-90 gear oil that I got. DZire needs 75w-90 which was hard to get in market & went with Shell. Little did I know that I was aiming to shoot my leg at point blank range. Gear shift deteorated in few 100 kms but since I was hoping for best I drove at least couple of 1000 Kms before losing all hope.

Limped back to MASS and got Total 75w-90 stock & vowed not to return to Shell 80w-90. Something is seriously wrong with their product nowdays. Not sure if it's localized or pan India, but they just have to tighten their buckle for stiff competition in Indian market now.
80w90 is not a replacement for 75w90. There is a big difference in the viscosity and 80w90 is much thicker and will make your gears too hard. 75w90 is also available in Motul and is very good.
Old 22nd October 2018, 00:49   #1799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey Prithm, the problem is not with shell but with the grade you chose, 80w90 will deteriorate the shift quality no matter which brand you put.

Lots of small Maruti service stations in Mumbai use 80w90 instead of 75w90 due to the lack of availability of smaller packets of 75W90 but none the less I am glad you are back to good gear shifts and 75W90.

Service stations which put 80W90 thinking its all right need to be thought by Maruti to not do that no matter what, most customers will think car is getting older/it will become better in a few thousand kilometers and end up ruining their synchronizer rings in the long run
Old 22nd October 2018, 06:30   #1800
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Prithm, the problem is not with shell but with the grade you chose, 80w90 will deteriorate the shift quality no matter which brand you put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
80w90 is not a replacement for 75w90. There is a big difference in the viscosity and 80w90 is much thicker and will make your gears too hard. 75w90 is also available in Motul and is very good.
Agree to both your points. The gear shift what I expected with 80w-90 was more of cushioning effect due to higher thickness, but it went down south. Not hard, but felt there was no lubrication at all. It was more metal to metal feel, almost like rusted surface in contact with each other. It was the first time I saw my gear knob vibrating & literally humming. Expectation of using higher grade oil is that it will be harsh for first few kilometers & then when it heats up, the cushioning effect will kick in, but it was just not happening.

The mechanic was doubtful from the start. Usually they would ask me to give them the empty can sticker so that they can use the scratch coupon code for getting a chance to win gold coin, cash back which was part of Shell 5w-40 label. But this time, he asked me twice where I got 80w-90 from and was constantly rubbing & rolling the oil between his finger & was not satisfied. Probably he did not want to hurt my feelings by telling the truth about the quality. When MASS mechanic was draining the gear sump, he noticed that draining oil was foaming & had lot of bubbles in waste oil collection pan. The oil was thin & he collected some in a small clear plastic water bottle & was doubtful about the brand by looking at it against sunlight.

In Hyderabad, Shell had to shut their shops & lose bunk licenses due to a crazy scam. Now their products here are taking the brunt. I travel all the way to Chennai or Bengaluru to get 5w-40 Ultra from Shell bunks. I m still not sure if it's localized effect or pan India.

Last edited by prithm : 22nd October 2018 at 06:35.
prithm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks