Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 19:08   #286
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
guys any idea which engine oil will best suit linea mjd?
What oil is the service center using, if its fiat recommended synthetic stuff stick to it. Silenia or something??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
well i always do that and also jack up the car on one side. i still fail to get why ~ 500 ml of old oil can remain inside ?
Possibilities:

1- Jacking to one side might have kept a bit of oil in the sump.
2- You might want to check the oil level after overnight parking.
3- Did you open the filler plug and dip stick to allow the air flow/avoid air lock?

500 ml is too much difference and hope this difference was noticed while changing the oil filter along with the oil?

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2010 at 19:13.
Old 16th January 2010, 19:54   #287
Senior - BHPian

I have a 3.3 litre sump in my esteem.
During one of the oil changes, the dude jacked it up on one side like you mentioned.
Of course, the drain plug is on the other side.

I filled up 3 litres and decided to check the dipstick. And the oil level was above the max. mark.

Clearly jacking up a vehicle for an oil fill is wrong.
It is done to make it convenient for the mech.
It should rightly be done on level ground or a ramp or a lift.

Edit PS: I did an oil change in my Tata sumo, couple days back and the oil capacity mentioned in the Manual (6.8 litres) was precisely that.
Didn't use a jack.

Last edited by nitrous : 16th January 2010 at 19:57.
Old 17th January 2010, 21:10   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
well i always do that and also jack up the car on one side. i still fail to get why ~ 500 ml of old oil can remain inside ?
Oil changes are meant to be carried out with the engine oil at operating temperature and on a level surface. I am yet to come across a car mfr that suggests tilting the car to any one side. It is reminiscent of the Bajaj scooter.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th January 2010 at 21:16. Reason: typo
Old 18th January 2010, 10:36   #289
BHPian

Folks and Guru's. I have a Swift DZire VDi and is soon in for 3rd service and due for a oil change. Now the obvious question of which oil do I use? Just go ahead with the service and leave it for them to change or buy a specific oil and get it changed @ MASS?

Please suggest.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:49   #290
Team-BHP Support

Check what oil the service center is using, if its Mobil Delvac no issues. Otherwise go with Delvac Mx having tried different oils, i feel this is the best VFM oil that is available for the DDIS engine.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:26   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Folks and Guru's. I have a Swift DZire VDi and is soon in for 3rd service and due for a oil change. Now the obvious question of which oil do I use? Just go ahead with the service and leave it for them to change or buy a specific oil and get it changed @ MASS?

Please suggest.
I went with Jaggu's advice on his thread of Delvac MX. A perfect oil for DDiS.
The previous MGA oil started making the ride rougher from 5-6 K mark. But Delvac is surviving its 8K run, and still feeling smooth. I normally get change around 7.5K but this time got late though.
Old 18th January 2010, 15:41   #292
BHPian

@ sriturl, Jaggu. and want to believe Delvac MX is available across bangalore without any trouble. Was checking their website and there were 2 variants of Delvac MX. Which one do I buy?
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
• Promotes extended engine life with service intervals beyond those of conventional oils
• Cold start benefits from excellent low-temperature characteristics

Mobil Delvac Super 15W-40
• Helps keep engines clean from soot and sludge
• Proven performance for one million miles and beyond
• Meets the latest requirements of all major heavy duty engine builders, including API CI-4 Plus
Mobil Products

Please post the cost of it, if you know.
Old 18th January 2010, 16:10   #293
BHPian

Quote:
@ sriturl, Jaggu. and want to believe Delvac MX is available across bangalore without any trouble. Was checking their website and there were 2 variants of Delvac MX. Which one do I buy?

Mobil Products

Please post the cost of it, if you know.
The ones which you mentioned as I remember are synthetic.
MX is a mineral oil. There are contact numbers posted on Jaggu's thread of the Mobil dealers in Bangalore.
I donot remember the price now, but not an expensive one like the synthetics.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:59   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

Possibilities:

1- Jacking to one side might have kept a bit of oil in the sump.
2- You might want to check the oil level after overnight parking.
3- Did you open the filler plug and dip stick to allow the air flow/avoid air lock?

500 ml is too much difference and hope this difference was noticed while changing the oil filter along with the oil?
1- jacking up on one side leaves the drain plug portion at the lowest level. I was not aware that it may lead to leaving as much as half a litre of oil. I think also suffficient time was given to drain the old oil.
2- checked the oil level and it is slightly over the max level on dispstick (maybe 2/3 mm )
3- yeah opened the filler plug and lifted the dip stick
4- the oil was at operating temperature at change.
5- also jacking is usually done by road side mechanics who do not have hydraulic car lift / pit. But the fact remains even after the jackup , the plug level is lowest. I have checked it myself.
6- both oil filter and oil was changed. Last 2 fills have been like that. Before that i used to go to TASS.They would charge for 5.5 lit.
7- Now i simply get a 5 lit pack and its enough.

any ideas ?

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 18th January 2010 at 18:02.
Old 19th January 2010, 10:36   #295
Team-BHP Support

@deepakchiniwal: Mobile Delvac 1 is not available in BLR. So try Mobil Delvac MX approx 210-220 Rs/liter.

@HIGHNOON: Stop jacking up while draining out! s simple as that. Remove the drain plug get the mech out and bring down the jack and leave it there for 10 mts, after removing oil filter, filler cap and dip stick. Refix new filter and drain plug and then fill up.

See how much it takes with this procedure.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:32   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
@

@HIGHNOON: Stop jacking up while draining out! s simple as that. Remove the drain plug get the mech out and bring down the jack and leave it there for 10 mts, after removing oil filter, filler cap and dip stick. Refix new filter and drain plug and then fill up.

See how much it takes with this procedure.
Obliged. Shall let you know at this fill.
Old 19th January 2010, 20:38   #297
BHPian

Called up the Maruti service center this evening. Castrol 15w40 Magnetic Oil is used.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:06   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Called up the Maruti service center this evening. Castrol 15w40 Magnetic Oil is used.
There is nothing called '15W40 Magnetic' from Castrol.
They've most probably used some 15W40 CF4 mineral from Castrol.
Old 19th January 2010, 21:35   #299
Team-BHP Support

I think they gave you the petrol swift oil name, double check and its Magnatec.
Old 22nd January 2010, 11:32   #300
BHPian

I have been using a mix of Mineral (Mobil MX) and Synthetic (Mobil 1) in 2:1 ratio for the last 18,000 km for my Dzire ZDi. Had been searching for a semi synth for a long time. Talked to Castrol, Mobil and Chevvron. Mobil recommended this solution. Also found references on Wiki - Synthetic oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Semi-synthetic oil
Semi-synthetic oils (also called 'synthetic blends') are blends of mineral oil with no more than 30% synthetic oil. Designed to have many of the benefits of synthetic oil without matching the cost of pure synthetic oil. [COLOR=#002bb8]Motul[/COLOR] introduced the first semi-synthetic motor oil in 1966.[COLOR=#002bb8][9][/COLOR]
Lubricants which have synthetic base stocks even lower 30%, high performance additive packs consisting of esters can also be considered as synthetic lubricants. Ratio of the synthetic base stock is generally used to define commodity codes among the customs declarations of tax purposes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks