Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 20:47   #151
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
Is it synthetic and is it for diesel car? How much it cost you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Knight View Post
@Ripper what's the API spec ( Diesel spec) of OWS turbo?

To my shock found out that Mobil 1 Synthetic was just API CF ( even HP LAL GHODA is API CF)
It is synthetic. and it is meant for turbocharged cars.
I dont think its diesel specific. Peter uses it in all his modded cars.That includes the Octy RS and the numerous common rail diesels that he mods. I'll never be using any other oil again.
Not sure what the grade is.

Old 15th July 2009, 09:29   #152
Senior - BHPian

I recently changed the oil of my Indigo diesel to petronas urania plus a bottle of OWS 220 engine protector. The results are amazing.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:37   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I recently changed the oil of my Indigo diesel to petronas urania plus a bottle of OWS 220 engine protector. The results are amazing.
Care to elaborate what changes do you find? Also which oil you were using previously? I had changed from Servo to Mobil Delvac and found a slight difference but nothing spectacular to make me feel overwhelmed.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:38   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I had changed from Servo to Mobil Delvac and found a slight difference but nothing spectacular to make me feel overwhelmed.
I have done around 3000kms now on Mobil Delvac MX. Results are amazing compared to the OEM Servo. Engine is silent. Car runs like new. FE has improved by a margin. Less smoke.
Car in question is a 35K kms done Verna CRDi.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:40   #155
Team-BHP Support

Whenever you change your 5000kms old engine oil you will feel the difference. It does not matter whether you filled in 1000rs/liter synthetic, or 200rs/liter truck wala oil.
Change engine oil = Difference.
So the line "I changed my mineral oil with synthetic and the car feels a lot smoother" does not hold any value unless you changed brand new mineral oil with synthetic oil and felt the difference.
That said, if your car overheats, synthetic oil will hold much better than mineral, hence protect from engine damage much better than mineral.
Other than that, put in a high detergent mineral oil every 5-10000kms(depending upon the oil), and you are as good as the best synthetic in the market, unless your engine is ultra high performance which sees much higher operating temps than normal engines in daily usage.
So if you have rechipped the ECU, added a bigger turbo, or done other circus which causes your engine to burn more fuel than it was designed for, go for synthetic.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:12   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Care to elaborate what changes do you find? Also which oil you were using previously? I had changed from Servo to Mobil Delvac and found a slight difference but nothing spectacular to make me feel overwhelmed.
I was using Mobil Delvac earlier.. used petronas + 1 OWS 220 engine protector. Car revvs up smooth and it is much quieter.
Old 15th July 2009, 15:54   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
I was using Mobil Delvac earlier.. used petronas + 1 OWS 220 engine protector. Car revvs up smooth and it is much quieter.
That's nice to know. Well, as TSK rightly said, when the car is back from service with a change in engine oil ( any oil), the first few days feel like bliss and everything seems hunky dory.

But, what beats me is how can one remember the feeling of say for e.g :

Using Servo oil before and after 5K kms change to Mobil Delvac unless you remember exactly the engine feel 5k kms before when you made that fresh change of Servo oil.

Also, another point how do we attribute the smooth revving and lower engine sound only to oil change when there are so many other activities done during a service like fuel filter replaced, oil filter replaced, air filter replaced etc.
Old 15th July 2009, 16:13   #158
Team-BHP Support

mobike. what I said holds for similar grade and specification engine oils
Basically with synthetic, the smoothness persists beyond 10,000kms but in case of mineral, change is required earlier, moreover if you are in an environment where engine is constantly running at peak temp(traffic jams), engine oil change for mineral is mandated sooner.
That said
1. Using API-CH/CI instead of API-CF is benefit quite a bit because sulfur content currently in metros is 350. Sulfur = Lubrication. Higher spec oils compensate for loss of sulfur. As sulfur content gets reduced, engine oil has to get better an better. So using an API-CI4 oil or the ultra new API-CJ(not available in India) will be very beneficial.
Moreover these oils are designed to protect Emission systems also as they release less Particulate matter
2. Using a 0W30 in cold climes(read himachal) will ensure smoother feel in morning. A 15W50 oil if used at 0 degree ambient temp will be too thick. After 10 minutes of running when oil heates up its viscosity will come up, and difference will be less.
That said if you are putting a 0W30 in hot temp, the oil will be too thin, and in rush hour traffic your engine will not have enough protection. It will be like water. a 20W50 desi oil will protect your engine better in stop go traffic than state of the art 0W30 synthetic.

So when putting engine oil, always look at the specification, and the temp grade
15W40 or 10W40 is usually a very safe bet.
5W50 is the best but is expensive
Old 15th July 2009, 16:31   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the detailed explanation TSK and my point being only for mineral oil as most of us use only that. I reckon most car manafacturers recommend 15W40 or 10W40 just for that very reason.

Also, in mineral oil when we are using the same grade (15W40 or 10W40) and moving from one brand to another, does it really make a difference or is it just phsycological?
Old 15th July 2009, 16:52   #160
Senior - BHPian

..arrey guys. I'm attributing the change 90% + to OWS 220. :-)

Tanveer, I think you should give this a try!
Old 15th July 2009, 16:53   #161
Team-BHP Support

If you are using same grade mineral oil with same specification from different companies, the only difference is due to detergent content. Delvac, Delo etc., have high detergent content, so they clean up the engine better.
Infact if you use such oils you will never need flushing. Unfortunately, detergent content of Castrol etc., is not very high as compared to these brands.
Other than that, no issues.
However its good to add the engine flush once every 30K kms. Do not go via Bardahl etc., service center route.
Buy the flush(STP) costs 200rs approx. Its the 30 minute flush.
Put in engine oil, and run engine at idle for 30-40 minutes.
Immediately drain the oil after shutting off the engine.
Put in new oil and you are good to go!
Old 15th July 2009, 17:04   #162
Senior - BHPian

mobil delvac actually made my engine feel worse after an oil change compared to castrol GTD
I'm still in two minds if I should go for it again
Old 15th July 2009, 17:13   #163
BHPian

Get Delo 400 (CI-4) or Delo Gold (CH-4). Ive used gold in my NA Indica and the engine still revs smoothly after 5K kms.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:18   #164
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That's nice to know. Well, as TSK rightly said, when the car is back from service with a change in engine oil ( any oil), the first few days feel like bliss and everything seems hunky dory.

But, what beats me is how can one remember the feeling of say for e.g :

Using Servo oil before and after 5K kms change to Mobil Delvac unless you remember exactly the engine feel 5k kms before when you made that fresh change of Servo oil.

Also, another point how do we attribute the smooth revving and lower engine sound only to oil change when there are so many other activities done during a service like fuel filter replaced, oil filter replaced, air filter replaced etc.
Sorry, I have to disagree! Any oil will feel good after a change.

I changed to Servo rode around for 100 kms, engine was running rough and was noisy compared to earlier Mobil Delvac! Then shifted to Delvac MX and engine came back to normal levels of smoothness and noise! No additives added at both the oil changes.

When they say "use good grade engine oil" it does mean something at the end of the day. More than brands, grade matters! in my case i moved up the grade by shifting from Servo PRIDE to Delvac MX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
mobil delvac actually made my engine feel worse after an oil change compared to castrol GTD
I'm still in two minds if I should go for it again
Yes will depend on what engine also, if the engine has more tolerance levels keyed in maybe a thicker castrol oil will give better results

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th July 2009 at 17:20.
Old 15th July 2009, 17:21   #165
Team-BHP Support

Jaggu, thats what I said, any oil of same grade and specification will feel same when new
For example a Castrol 15W40 API-CH4 will feel same as Mobil 15W40 API-CH4
However both will feel superior to API-CD 20W50

@panky, I already put in an oil much higher then required spec for indica so additives are not really necessary, esp since I change oil after 5-6K kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks