Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2009, 09:45   #76
BHPian

I recently bought Castrol Magnetec 4l for Rs 1000. The car was a bit rough for a day and since then its absolutely smoother ! Also, I have noticed a slight improvement in mileage. I am somebody who fills right 10litres when needle drops to E . I drive in the city, with AC on and after 100kms it drops to E.

Now ever since I am using Magnetec the needle drops to E only after 112Kms.

My driving style, route remain the same.

Ps. I was a big fan of Catsrol Edge in the UK. I was surprised to find it in market for 2000rs 4 Litres. These are very good oil. But what worries me is the 'Made in Philipines' ( I think so...trying hard to remember the country )tag at the authorised Castrol Retailer. I have seen so many counterfiet things in my life, it has made me very suspicious and careful before buying.
Also, the Castrol India website does not show any authorised dealers in Tamil Nadu for MAGNATEC, probably not updated it.
And Also, one of the retailers said he has only 3 litres can and other 1 litre he will give me in 'lose' !

Last edited by vdiatech : 12th May 2009 at 09:51.
Old 12th May 2009, 09:46   #77
BANNED

Not exactly OT but...

Some of my friends in the UK swore by magnetic drain plugs. I have seen them collect a lot of kerf. When you change the oil you can see and remove all the metal filings etc. which have been collected. Are such things available in our country. IF so the cost and sources.
Old 12th May 2009, 09:55   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Not exactly OT but...

Some of my friends in the UK swore by magnetic drain plugs. I have seen them collect a lot of kerf. When you change the oil you can see and remove all the metal filings etc. which have been collected. Are such things available in our country. IF so the cost and sources.
I think you are reffering to an actual Magnet in the Oil Sump ! No idea. I just did a google and read about it. I would personally stay away from such things
Old 12th May 2009, 10:06   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I think you are reffering to an actual Magnet in the Oil Sump ! No idea. I just did a google and read about it. I would personally stay away from such things
Not exactly. The sump drain plug is magnetic. So it collects magnetic junk all the time. When you drain the oil, you just take a couple of extra minutes to clean off the kerf. It is surprising how much rubbish collects. I guess this will all contribute to the wear & tear of the engine if not removed.
Old 12th May 2009, 10:58   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not exactly OT but...

swift d uses this, cost about 80-90 bucks along with washer, pretty effective, especially for a oil cooled turbo, engine.
Old 12th May 2009, 11:50   #81
BANNED

If this is not available for Hyundai (Accent/Santro) and they have a different thread then I plan the following from the idea on the Car Bibles site (referred to earlier in this thread). I quite like the idea about using a scrap magnet from an old Hard Disk Drive. I may try and get a couple of drain plugs from Hyundai and then see if they can be machined to take a rare earth magnet which will be epoxied into an indentation.

Last edited by sgiitk : 12th May 2009 at 11:51.
Old 12th May 2009, 15:53   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdiatech View Post
I recently bought Castrol Magnetec 4l for Rs 1000. The car was a bit rough for a day and since then its absolutely smoother ! Also, I have noticed a slight improvement in mileage. I am somebody who fills right 10litres when needle drops to E . I drive in the city, with AC on and after 100kms it drops to E.

Now ever since I am using Magnetec the needle drops to E only after 112Kms.

My driving style, route remain the same.

Ps. I was a big fan of Catsrol Edge in the UK. I was surprised to find it in market for 2000rs 4 Litres. These are very good oil. But what worries me is the 'Made in Philipines' ( I think so...trying hard to remember the country )tag at the authorised Castrol Retailer. I have seen so many counterfiet things in my life, it has made me very suspicious and careful before buying.
Also, the Castrol India website does not show any authorised dealers in Tamil Nadu for MAGNATEC, probably not updated it.
And Also, one of the retailers said he has only 3 litres can and other 1 litre he will give me in 'lose' !
You get half and 1 lt bottles of Magnatec too.

Forget about the loose oil... even bottles/cans of Castrol are counterfieted extensively.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:07   #83
Senior - BHPian

Is that an OEM piece? Can I buy it separately or will I void the warranty?

kindly share more details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
swift d uses this, cost about 80-90 bucks along with washer, pretty effective, especially for a oil cooled turbo, engine.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:23   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Is that an OEM piece? Can I buy it separately or will I void the warranty?

kindly share more details!
The same thing that maruti replaces every time you change oil, absolute oem. Take a screwdriver and touch the drain nut to confirm. On the other hand MASS guys first inspect the drain nut to ascertain if all is well inside, while draining oil
Old 12th May 2009, 16:35   #85
Senior - BHPian

My 1997 Sumo came with this magnetic drain plug.
Its nothing unusual.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:37   #86
BHPian

Quote:
If this is not available for Hyundai (Accent/Santro) and they have a different thread then I plan the following from the idea on the Car Bibles site (referred to earlier in this thread). I quite like the idea about using a scrap magnet from an old Hard Disk Drive. I may try and get a couple of drain plugs from Hyundai and then see if they can be machined to take a rare earth magnet which will be epoxied into an indentation.
Are you sure they aren't available for Hyundai's? Magnets in the drain plug have been around since forever - 30+ year old fiats have them!

If Hyundai did away with them - they must have a logical explanation.

PS - You could take an oversized drain plug from another car and have it machined to get the threads that your Hyundai needs.
Old 12th May 2009, 16:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

A word of caution here.

Synthetic Oil is ggod. it has a lot of benefits. It is expensive but better overall.

BUT remember.

If you choose to use synthetic engine oil for your car, use it from day one, the day you buy a new car from a showroom or install a new engine.

If the Car has been running or normal mineral oil or the present mineral oil based muligrade or semi synthetics for say the firs 5,000 to 20,000 km or more and then you decide to upgrade to synthetic oil you are spelling trouble for your engine.

When mineral oil is used, the seals and washers in the engine, swell up to a different proportion and are bedded in.

Introduction of less viscous synthetic oil causes these seals to contract, and then the problems of overheating, smoke, leakages start.

We have seen this a lot in Desert going vehicles and this was confirmed by Total Lubricants team from France who had come to support me for my desert rally event in 2007 and 2008 ( Total is one of my main sponsors ).

People fancy purchae of Mobil 1 and think it is best for their Landcruiser Prado or Pajero.

Not thinking that for the warranty period what was being used in the dealership service was a BP or AGIP 20W50 mineral based multigrade.

Even here there is a point. THe Mobil 1 that was made in Holland was 15W45, which is sufficient for a temperature range of 10 to 50 Deg C.

THe 0W20 or lesser multigrades could be suitable for Supras or Ferraris but not for a huge V6 or V8 SUV engine.

In India too only a multigrade with a temperature range of 20 to 50 deg C should be chosen.

If you have been useing SYnthetic oil and switch back to mineral oil the change is not so drastic.
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2009, 16:56   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by df
15W45, which is sufficient for a temperature range of 10 to 50 Deg C.
xW40 works upto 35 degree C.
I don't think xW45 works upto 50 degree C. I doubt even xW50 wouldn't work upto an ambient temperature of 50 degree C.
Old 13th May 2009, 10:22   #89
BANNED

I think almost any half decent oil with work in an ambient of even 60C. The issue is what viscosity is required by the engine to cope with a higher ambient.
Old 13th May 2009, 17:02   #90
BHPian

Switched to Mobil Delvac MX from the existing OEM Servo in my Verna along with oil filter change.
Instant difference could be felt in the NVH, reduced to a great extent.

Most Viewed