Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2009, 15:43   #211
jav
BHPian

Hi guys whats your opinion on adding oil additive with engine oil, i tried oil additive when i changed my oil and my engine sounds way more silent and i can feel some more power, does it really work or is it just the oil change thats causing the difference.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:51   #212
BHPian

Lots of mixed opinion. Is flush recommended for diesel engine or not?

I have a new Ford Ikon TDCi bought on 14th Dec' 08. Done 5000kms. Guru's, do you recommend engine flush or not. Do the Ford dealers do the flush?
Old 13th August 2009, 15:53   #213
Senior - BHPian

if the additives are that good, how come the oil manufacturers didnt think of adding them in the first place ?

get a better oil instead

@ funkydude - Ford dealers will run after you to do the flush, since its a high margin value added service for them !
Old 13th August 2009, 16:34   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
Lots of mixed opinion. Is flush recommended for diesel engine or not?I have a new Ford Ikon TDCi bought on 14th Dec' 08. Done 5000kms. Guru's, do you recommend engine flush or not.
Not when it has done just 5000 kms. Wait till it completes at least 20 k kms or more.

Quote:
Do the Ford dealers do the flush?
Yes they would be happy to carry out flushing on the first service itself.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:36   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what i meant was, instead of using flush, use a little quantity of the new oil, and follow the same procedure !
just in case he was switching oil brands. This is advice i got elsewhere in this forum, not sure where

Please do not attempt the above procedure. If you do you would risk engine going Kaput. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT start an engine without minimum quantity of oil in Sump. Typically minimum quantity of oil is 80-90 % of sump capacity.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:32   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ph03n!x: Go with Delvac MX its a good oil and should work well, people have tried in Crdi engines like verna and had good results.
Thanks Jaggu. It will be a week or 10 days before I cross 5k, will post my experience. Will have to check with my Service Advisor if I can get Delvac MX at the Service Center, or should I source it myself...
Old 13th August 2009, 18:09   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Not when it has done just 5000 kms. Wait till it completes at least 20 k kms or more.

Yes they would be happy to carry out flushing on the first service itself.

Thanks Diesel!! will wait till this beauty turns 20k
Old 13th August 2009, 18:48   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yahoo! Groups

here's the post I was talking about
Note: he is usually always right
First of all the below part is wrong, one should drain immediate and then wait for 5 or more minutes for oil to completely drip out.

Quote:
After stopping the engine, wait for 5 minutes, then drain out the
old oil completely.
Now these modern diesel engine have grown by leaps and bounds. The oil contamination doesnt happen so much like old designs. I have posted the picture of oil sample from my ddis engine after 100+ kms of running IIRC which will show how efficient these engines are.

Up side is that engine oil quantity required in modern designs have gone down, down side being you have to keep a watch on oil quality, for long hazzle free life for engine. This is where the flushing at regular interval (20k kms or so).

This is not be all and end all, still it will help a bit to remove gunk better, especially if the oil is changed at longer intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav View Post
Hi guys whats your opinion on adding oil additive with engine oil, i tried oil additive when i changed my oil and my engine sounds way more silent and i can feel some more power, does it really work or is it just the oil change thats causing the difference.
Some additives help in better lubrication and to keep the oil properties intact for longer time.

Quote:
Lots of mixed opinion. Is flush recommended for diesel engine or not?

I have a new Ford Ikon TDCi bought on 14th Dec' 08. Done 5000kms. Guru's, do you recommend engine flush or not. Do the Ford dealers do the flush?
Not at all required, you can try it by 20k kms as rightly pointed out earlier. Ensure you change oil at regular intervals of 5-7k if on mineral oils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thanks Jaggu. It will be a week or 10 days before I cross 5k, will post my experience. Will have to check with my Service Advisor if I can get Delvac MX at the Service Center, or should I source it myself...
Yup check to avoid any silly issue's like i had
Old 13th August 2009, 19:49   #219
BHPian

Quote:
if the additives are that good, how come the oil manufacturers didnt think of adding them in the first place ?

get a better oil instead
Good point but its like why most car manufacturers dont include free flow headers or a better air intake system etc.

to keep the costs down, not wanting to take liabaility for 3rd party chemicals, meeting the minimum requirements standards of modern engines etc, oil mfrs may not add these additives to oil

Some additives have actually knackered the Cat Con (bringing down the efficiency and thus throwing up the EML and sending the car into limp mode) in some cars, despite the label saying CAT-CON SAFE

Additives are tricky, works for some and harms some !
Old 13th August 2009, 20:20   #220
BHPian

Guys i am planning to shift to Mobil Delvac MX from my Mobil fully synthetic in my Swift DDiS. Do i need to flush before switching to Delvac MX? My car has run 48K kms and las flush was done at 25K .
Old 13th August 2009, 20:41   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Guys i am planning to shift to Mobil Delvac MX from my Mobil fully synthetic in my Swift DDiS. Do i need to flush before switching to Delvac MX? My car has run 48K kms and las flush was done at 25K .
Fully Synthetic oil have high detergent properties hence typically you would not need to do a flush before switching to mineral. while switching from Mineral to Synthetic it is highly recommended to do a flush. Else you would have to change synthetic within 5000 km run.
Old 13th August 2009, 21:30   #222
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Use flush for best results since its been 20k kms, though no major harm otherwise also if you are planning a change at 5-7k kms. More important how many kms you ran with Mobil 1?

As far as detergents go Mobil 1 is good, especially for petrol motors but not the BEST for a diesel motor.
Old 14th August 2009, 16:52   #223
BHPian

I ve been using Mobil 1 Fully synthetic 5W50 from 15k changing at regular intervals. Next oil change due at 50k. So planning to switch to Delvac MX as 5w50 is not the right grade for DDiS.
Old 14th August 2009, 17:52   #224
BHPian

Car: Swift VDI
Which flush to buy and which engine OIL, run 32000 Kms. Till today only given to MUL service station hence do not know if they really did change oil or not. It would be great if you could let me know how to use the flush. Pls help.
Old 16th August 2009, 21:24   #225
BHPian

Chevron India to close their India ops

Got this news from my Chevron sales rep. in Pune that Chevron is closing their operations in India by Oct'09 .
Now I need to scout for another alternative to Delo-400,maybe Delvac MX comes close.Any thoughts anyone ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks