Old 4th February 2010, 12:35   #316
Senior - BHPian

Allen key? Oh wow!
How much does the drain bolt cost?
Old 4th February 2010, 13:40   #317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Use a diesel spec oil instead of a petrol/diesel oil... So to answer your question it would be Shell HU Ultra Diesel over Mobil1 5w-40.

BTW, where did you find 5w-40 in Mobil1? Mobil1 comes in 0w-40 or 5w-50. There is another variant called Mobil Synt S 5w-40. Synt S is the poorer synthetic cousin of M1.

Shell HX7 is semi synthetic and is probably the best value among all the 3 oils. But do you get it HX7 in India? AFAIK Shell offer Diesel HX6 15w-40 in this country.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
Thanks R2D2 .Shall stick to your say i.e - Use only Diesel Spec oils.
And Yes Shell Helix Diesel HX7 10W40 is available at the Shell petrol pumps hyderabad,in 1L and 4L cans.Rs.890/4L can.
The Diesel HX6 15W40 was advised for DI/IDI engines by the local garage.
Dont know the tech info on that.Need to confirm.
I Correct the Mobil1 - its 5W50 ! Is it recommended for Diesels?
And does Synt - S stand for Petrols as in 'S' and 'C' for Diesels as read somewhere here?If its true then its not for Diesels?
Thanks again.
Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameet_007_in View Post
i am using Castrol Edge Sports for my swift ZXI which has completed 90000kms(using edge from 65000km) and find it very good in all aspects.......
Ameet_007 ,good to know your feedback on Castrol Edge Sport
Can you share the cost please.
Regards
Old 4th February 2010, 14:19   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Allen key? Oh wow!
How much does the drain bolt cost?
90 bucks for the magnetic drain plug with washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post
I Correct the Mobil1 - its 5W50 ! Is it recommended for Diesels?
Its petrol engine oil primarily, but is used by some manufacturer's in their diesel engines also. Ideally no, Mobil Delvac 1 is the recommended product for diesel, hard to find.
Old 4th February 2010, 15:06   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Its petrol engine oil primarily, but is used by some manufacturer's in their diesel engines also. Ideally no, Mobil Delvac 1 is the recommended product for diesel, hard to find.
Jaggu,

I think Mobil 1 is really confusing the people world over. I did check in US through Mobil's website for the recommended oil for BMW 335d and the result is
here.

It meets only CF-4 !!

Since being a t-bhpian I decided to check on UK site for recommendation. The results aren't very encouraging as you can see here

Does this now mean Mobil Delvac 1 is not going to offered moving forward ?

I am waiting for a confirmation from a good old friend of mine in UK.

Is this the reason Fiat is using Selenia ??

Your guess is as good as mine.

Looks like diesel engine owners and synthetic oil lovers cannot intersect..

Cheers

Sateesh
Old 4th February 2010, 18:53   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
yet sells in great numbers. and castrol has no qualms about advertising it as diesel engine oil.
For the crb turbo they really surpass themselves by stating( on the container ) that the product which is a CH4 , performs better than even diesel engine oils with API-CJ4 specs.
now aint that cute ?
I would like to take my words back about CRB TURBO.
I changed my INDIGO engine oil couple of days back. Also had a rear cam seal leak so had opened the cover before the oil change.
The car had done 5000 km on this oil ( Total 41500 km ) , but the oil was still in excellent condition and the top engine area around the cam rod was very clean.
So i guess the CRB is trubo is good , and even though i filled the 15w-40 CF4 this time , i do no longer think that the CRB Turbo claims are all that hyped.
And can be easily stretched to 7500 KM so long as you are within 6 months.
In any case , IMO we can safely use oil which the company has advertised as a commercial vehicle oil as againt oil recommended for passnger cars. Only worry is that the high detergent levels do not cause dmage to seals.
Can it?
Old 4th February 2010, 19:14   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Jaggu,

I think Mobil 1 is really confusing the people world over. .....

Is this the reason Fiat is using Selenia ??

Your guess is as good as mine.

Looks like diesel engine owners and synthetic oil lovers cannot intersect..

Cheers

Sateesh
Sateesh Bhai ,Well now its definitely began Confusing me .
Your information is right on the Mobil sites.
As suggested I shall begin using Mobil Delvac 1 fully syntetic or Mobil Delvac MX for the diesel car.
You mentioned 'Selenia' by Fiat ,can you share the details of it.
I dint get it - is it the Engine oil brand they recommend? Any Spec grade info?
Is it available in India?
Thanks and Regards
Old 4th February 2010, 21:46   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton View Post

As suggested I shall begin using Mobil Delvac 1 fully syntetic or Mobil Delvac MX for the diesel car.
You mentioned 'Selenia' by Fiat ,can you share the details of it.
I dint get it - is it the Engine oil brand they recommend? Any Spec grade info?
Is it available in India?
Thanks and Regards
Alton,

Mobil Delvac 1 isn't available in India in 4l cans yet

And it isn't listed on their US, UK and Germany websites either which makes me to believe that it is a discontinued product

Interesting read on the Mobil US site is that the 5w-30 can be used for Diesel Engines with DPF (DPF -> Euro 5 ready). This leads me to believe that it probably meets the CI-4 but the spec sheets doesn't say it.

Lack of clarity kills the customer interest.

Selenia apparently is a semi-synthetic oil that is being used by TASS specifically for Linea and Punto. It is of CI-4 grade.

I am not sure if this is a off the shelf product in a store. Currently TASS is probably their only dealer network

So Mobil Delvac MX is the only solution for CI-4 and above

HTH

Sateesh

PS : I have been using Mobil 1 5w 50 fully synthetic for my CRDi as the spec in manual is met by this :-)

PPS : Quick google of Mobil Delvac 1 results in ESP 5w 40. Mobil 1 marketing at work :-(

Last edited by csateesh : 4th February 2010 at 21:49.
Old 5th February 2010, 22:26   #323

today the rate is 1800/lit,last time i used mobil synt S 5W-40 for my mondeo DI,i found castrol edge(not sport)more superior than mobil,i want to try castrol edge sports this time,please suggest
Old 5th February 2010, 23:52   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Alton,

Mobil Delvac 1 isn't available in India in 4l cans yet....

...Selenia apparently is a semi-synthetic oil that is being used by TASS specifically for Linea and Punto. It is of CI-4 grade.

I am not sure if this is a off the shelf product in a store. Currently TASS is probably their only dealer network

So Mobil Delvac MX is the only solution for CI-4 and above

HTH

Sateesh

PS : I have been using Mobil 1 5w 50 fully synthetic for my CRDi as the spec in manual is met by this :-)
Thanks for the info Sateesh.
I just enquired in TASS about the 'SELENIA' brand engine oil.Yes,they use it for Linea,Punto and Palio MJD.So my problem's solved.They say its 5W40 WR(Wide range) Synthetic.Let me try since its by TASS(Approved for Warrantty issues if any).If doesnt go down well,I'll Switch to Mobil Delvac MX as you suggested.I also have other idea of trying the Shell Ultra Diesel 5W40 grade.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameet_007_in View Post
today the rate is 1800/lit.........
Ameet_007_in,
Rs.1800/L is way too high! I dont think even Mobil1 5W40 would cost that much.Shell Ultra Diesel 5W40 fully synthetic costs Rs.1050/Litr in Retail.
What does Castrol Edge have superior to other Synthetic 5W40 oils?
Thanks for the info.
Regards
Old 6th February 2010, 08:18   #325
Senior - BHPian

Details on HP Engine Oils

Seems like HP is offerings are interesting.. Infact they have launched CJ4 as well for EIV vehicles.

I was wondering what happens if we use higher quality oils on EII or EIII engines, does the drain interval decrease ? Thats what I could make out after going through this thread.

I had my oil change at 12k and now its 20k. This included hard long journeys to the mountaineous terrain as well and now since 2k includ stop go stop traffic of Pune. Do guru's feel its worth a oil change to higher grade of oil ?

HP NO 1
All about diesel engine oils-del1.jpg

CJ Oil
http://www.hindustanpetroleum.com/Up...EngineOils.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-del2.jpg  

Old 6th February 2010, 10:54   #326

castrol edge is 1100/lit,edge sports is 1800/lit it is 10w-60 technical i am not able to differenciate please check the link
Castrol Malaysia - Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40
Old 8th February 2010, 13:19   #327
BHPian

So whats the verdict
What engine oil should I use for Scorpio SLX 2006 done 50,000km and average oil change interval of 9000km? Price wise, I don't think I can go above Rs. 400/L. So far, I have been using what the dealer has been putting in (don't even know what they use as the packing has no details).

Thanks all.
Old 10th February 2010, 01:23   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Synthetic oil can be used after 10k-15k km.
while change from mineral oil to synthetic oil, engine oil flush is recommended to remove old oil sludge.

kindly go through this Oil Bible - http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html
UM
Car Bible gives contradicting info on the same page and that has had me confused, that's why am asking here. Quoting from the site:
Quote:
If you've been driving around with mineral oil in your engine for years, don't switch to synthetic oil without preparation. Synthetic oils have been known to dislodge the baked-on deposits from mineral oils and leave them floating around your engine - not good. It's wise to use a flushing oil first.
This comes under "Old & busted concepts"

Quote:
Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, like you've filled it with milk or shampoo, you really ought never to need a flushing oil. If you're transitioning from a mineral oil to a synthetic oil, likewise you probably don't need to flush the engine first.
This comes under "Do I need a flushing oil?"

Quote:
There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synthetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)

There is also no problem with switching back and forth between synthetic and mineral based oils. In fact, people who are "in the know" and who operate engines in areas where temperature fluctuations can be especially extreme, switch from mineral oil to synthetic oil for the colder months. They then switch back to mineral oil during the warmer months.

There was a time, years ago, when switching between synthetic oils and mineral oils was not recommended if you had used one product or the other for a long period of time. People experienced problems with seals leaking and high oil consumption but changes in additive chemistry and seal material have taken care of those issues. And that's an important caveat. New seal technology is great, but if you're still driving around in a car from the 80's with its original seals, then this argument becomes a bit of a moot point - your seals are still going to be subject to the old leakage problems no matter what newfangled additives the oil companies are putting in their products.
This is from "Mixing Mineral and Synthetic oils - the new hotness"

My understanding is that we need not do an engine flush. Period. Flushing is only on specific cases- Quoting again from Car Bible-
Quote:
Unless there's something seriously wrong with your engine, like you've filled it with milk or shampoo, you really ought never to need a flushing oil.
I have read in random posts that we need to flush the engine before switching from mineral to synthetic- and I guess am safe to assume that is old school. Gurus- your thoughts please!
Am quoting this from my post in another thread. I am about to change to Synthetic oil for my Getz CRDi (15k run). I want to know:

1) Is a flush required - the quote above is from Car Bible, and my understanding of the page is that it is not required.
2) What is the best Synthetic oil out there? Any Getz / Verna CRDi users' with a verdict?

Last edited by ph03n!x : 10th February 2010 at 01:26.
Old 10th February 2010, 08:16   #329
Senior - BHPian

1) Not required.
2) Mobil Delvac 1 if you can source it.
Old 10th February 2010, 12:14   #330
Nan

Any pointers to source Mobil Delvac 1 in bangalore?
I am currently running Mobil Delvac MX on my verna crdi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks