Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 14:47   #406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
There is a very close friend of mine who owns the entire TATA fleet and he swears by Mobil Delvac MX, infact he is the one who introduced me to that oil GreenHorn!

So I wonder why one should NOT use it in an indica / Indigo. I've also owned both for considerable mileage and have had no issues
I ( and a few others on this forum who tried it felt) that the engine was noticeably rougher. I'm gonna try out ye olde GTD next time
Old 19th May 2010, 10:47   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Mobil TM 1000 API-CH4 will be fine. When you go to TASS, ask them to out the oil which they put in safari 2.2 in your car. Simple.
As of what they are using, its Castrol GTD. Castrol GTX diesel is actually one of the best oils in the market, and very difficult to find due to low demand(taxi market prefers cheaper oils)
Thanks TSK1979 .. I will try that and update
Old 25th May 2010, 17:06   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, do you know of any recommended shop to buy Mobil Delvac MX oil in Chennai? Preferably south Chennai (Adyar/Thiruvamniyur/Guindy etc)?
Proxima, if you got your answer for this questions, please let me know a place where I can get Mobil Delvac MX oil in Chennai. Thanks!
Old 25th May 2010, 18:11   #409
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Guys, do you know of any recommended shop to buy Mobil Delvac MX oil in Chennai? Preferably south Chennai (Adyar/Thiruvamniyur/Guindy etc)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
Proxima, if you got your answer for this questions, please let me know a place where I can get Mobil Delvac MX oil in Chennai. Thanks!
IgNite stocks Mobile 1 Delvac MX, you can get it changed it there if you prefer. If you choose to procure your own oil, the right contact would be our D-BHPian (nitrous)
Old 9th July 2010, 17:11   #410
Senior - BHPian

How are Total/Elf oils?

Which is the one that I can use for Safari 2.2 ?
Old 10th July 2010, 07:43   #411
BHPian

I think these are the two oils that meet specs (CH-4 & above)
* ELF SUPER HDB TURBO NEW 15W40 (API-CH4)
* ELF PERFORMANCE 3D NEW 15W40 (API CI-4)

Are you getting this oil from outside OR TASC is providing them ?

I would go for the PERFORMANCE 3D NEW since it's CI-4.

source:Restitution.aspx

I could not find the TDS of these products on their web site so cannot comment about their "goodness"
Old 11th July 2010, 00:23   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post

This is where I get mine :---

Affiance Enterprises
New No. 2 (Old No. 12),
First Trust Link Street,
Mandaveli,
Chennai - 600028
Tel: +91-44-24620795

They are the authorised distributors for Chennai
Old 28th July 2010, 10:05   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

i20 CRDI

Recently when i gave my car for the first service i inquired about the oil which they would use.The SA told me that he would be using shell helix ultra.but on closer inspection of the barrel of oil i came to know that its for petrol engines(because the shell website mentions shell helix DIESEL ultra for diesel engines).Can the same oil be used for CRDi also?experts here,please help me out!
Old 28th July 2010, 10:27   #414
Senior - BHPian

Check the grade - my Getz CRDi need API - CH4 or higher, it should be mentioned in the user manual somewhere.

Found that OWS has a synthetic oil of API - CI4+, would be trying that next oil change...
Old 28th July 2010, 10:47   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Check the grade - my Getz CRDi need API - CH4 or higher, it should be mentioned in the user manual somewhere.

Found that OWS has a synthetic oil of API - CI4+, would be trying that next oil change...

The grade mentioned in the manual is 10W40.The shell oil grade is 5W40.And the requirements are same as your getz.

But my doubt is they are using the oil designed for petrol engines in the CRDi ones too.Is it safe when there is specifically shell DIESEL ultra helix ??
Old 28th July 2010, 10:59   #416
Team-BHP Support

10W40 is the "viscosity" requirement.
Engine oil API standard is different. Check your manual. It will be API-CF4(older diesels) or API-CH4(modern diesels).
Most shell oils available in market(synthetic) meet API-CF4 for diesel, which is suitable only for older engines, not modern engines.
Using such an oil in an engine running on Low Sulfur Diesel can cause premature engine wear and tear.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:17   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
10W40 is the "viscosity" requirement.
Engine oil API standard is different. Check your manual. It will be API-CF4(older diesels) or API-CH4(modern diesels).
Most shell oils available in market(synthetic) meet API-CF4 for diesel, which is suitable only for older engines, not modern engines.
Using such an oil in an engine running on Low Sulfur Diesel can cause premature engine wear and tear.

OK,will check the manual and get back
Old 30th July 2010, 22:04   #418
Distinguished - BHPian

Checked the manual and here it what it says for the engine oil requirement

API Service CH-4 or above, ACEA B4
Quantity 5.3 litres

so which oil is the best ??
Old 30th July 2010, 22:21   #419
Senior - BHPian

I have a 1999 Tata Indica Diesel(run 50,000+ kms). I have always used HP diesel engine oils. Lately I have noticed that a lot of old oil sludge that is making new oil also look dirty black.
I came across this product called Cyclo Motor Flush by Pidlite(eBay India: CYCLO MOTOR FLUSH CLEAN ENGINE IN 3 MINUTE 1TIME INDIA (item 170518323629 end time 23-Aug-2010 21:09:09 IST)) I have never flushed the engine oil in 11yrs
Is it advisable to use this to clear the sludge that is stuck? And what is the engine oil that is recommended for my car?

Last edited by theragingbull : 30th July 2010 at 22:29.
Old 30th July 2010, 22:28   #420
BHPian

No they cannot be interchanged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Recently when i gave my car for the first service i inquired about the oil which they would use.The SA told me that he would be using shell helix ultra.but on closer inspection of the barrel of oil i came to know that its for petrol engines(because the shell website mentions shell helix DIESEL ultra for diesel engines).Can the same oil be used for CRDi also?experts here,please help me out!
You can use the diesel engine oil in your petrol car as a super duper flushing oil for a short period of about 100km if the viscosity matches and then change over to your favorite petrol engine oil since these diesel oils have too much of a good thing called detergents. Remember though too much of any thing is bad.

On the other hand the petrol engine oil cannot be used in your diesel car except in cases of an emergency. Diesel combustion leaves a lot of soot in the crank case. There are dispersant's in the diesel oil that can cope with this soot. Petrol engine oils can only be used for petrol engines.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 30th July 2010 at 22:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks