Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2009, 12:23   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
^ HASS do charge for excess oil quantity. I am always billed for 5.3L of oil, whereas the engine takes in 4.7L max. The car in question is a Verna CRDi.
@live2drive, i have a Getz CRDI and the manual clearly states that the quantity of oil to be filled up is 5.3 L. Since the engine for both verna & getz is the same , i guess this applies to verns CRDI as well.

Also only after filling in 5.3 L of oil, does the oil level reach to its maximum
Old 17th November 2009, 23:06   #257
Senior - BHPian

@DieselFan
But Castrol is a renowned Brand. And the Castrol CRB Turbo 15W40 CH4 meets the Minimum API as well as SAE Standards recommended by Mahindra & Mahindra.
I guess its a trick played by M&M to force Customers to use their (M&M) oil instead of other Brands.
Off-Topic:
The Gear Oil Interval for M&M Oil is 50KKms and other Brands its 20KKms.
The Differential Oil Interval for M&M oil is 50KKms and for other Brands its 20KKms.
There is no Replacement Interval mentioned in the Manual for Power Steering Oil. Does this mean that Power Steering Oil does not need Replacement in the car's lifetime?
Old 18th November 2009, 10:41   #258
Senior - BHPian

M&M may truly be saying the right thing. I believe all Car manufacturer's have increased the service interval to 10 K kms or in some cases 15 K kms. This change has not yet percolated to the oil manufacturers in the west. Some oils still have a changing interval of 5000 kms or sometimes 8000 kms (5000 miles). Better go with what M&M says and not take any chances with the engine. Just meeting SAE or API standards doesn't Guaranty time or mileage run it just guaranties that the engine oil is suitable for the engine. Duration or mileage also depends on how frequent you start/stop the car, how hard you drive the car and whether the traffic condition is bad (Read Lots of traffic jams).
Old 18th November 2009, 11:29   #259
BANNED

Mahindra does not make the oil. See the can to try and get a clue. May be you get it.

By and large you can go for an oil with the same or higher spec. However, during the warranty period stick with what they say. In any case remember you should change the oil at least once a year even if you do only 1500km!
Old 18th November 2009, 15:56   #260
BHPian

Hi,

What I think is and as per Castrol's website as well CRB Turbo is for commercial vehicles like trucks and not for cars & passenger vehicles... For the diesel passenger cars they recommend GTX Diesel which is CF rated... Had called castol helpline to find out recommended oil for my Accent CRDi they said not to use CRB in passenger cars. GTX Diesel is a good choice.
Old 18th November 2009, 16:15   #261
Team-BHP Support

Castrol GTX diesel is API-CH4.
Its GTD which is API-CF4
Now if an oil is API CH4 and 15W40 (CRB Turbo), why cannot it be used in passenger cars also? After all it meets the grade and viscosity requirements?
Old 11th January 2010, 21:51   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Castrol GTX diesel is API-CH4.
Its GTD which is API-CF4
Now if an oil is API CH4 and 15W40 (CRB Turbo), why cannot it be used in passenger cars also? After all it meets the grade and viscosity requirements?
maybe there is something to it than obvious.
Surely a co. like castrol which is so aggressive in marketing , would try to push an expensive oil ( crb turbo ) in this case.
I have used Valvoline all climate cf4 on my Indigo and also crb turbo ch4.
couldnt tell the difference. really.
Valvoline is cheaper by couple of hundred.
Old 11th January 2010, 22:21   #263
Senior - BHPian

I picked up two 6Litre buckets of API-CH4 Valvoline oil for 1000 bucks each, last week.
Makes it 167 bucks a litre for API-CH4 oil.
Gotta be the cheapest.
Old 11th January 2010, 22:25   #264
Senior - BHPian

I've been trying all these higher grade (API CH, CI etc) engine oils, and my indica seems to be getting rougher, even after an oil change. Am I missing something here ?

Or are older engines better off with older spec oils ?
Old 11th January 2010, 22:40   #265
Senior - BHPian

^^ Try API-CF4 15W40
Old 12th January 2010, 00:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

thats what the manual says, API CF4 15W40. I should stick to Castrol GTD then?

I wonder why these higher grade oils dont do any better
Old 12th January 2010, 09:07   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I picked up two 6Litre buckets of API-CH4 Valvoline oil for 1000 bucks each, last week.
Makes it 167 bucks a litre for API-CH4 oil.
Gotta be the cheapest.
MOBIL DELVAC MX- CI4 5 LIT. IS AVAILABLE IN MUMBAI FOR 996/- incl vat
MOBIL DELVAC 1300 ( cg4) - 5 LIT FOR 918/- AT THE WHOLESALERS. incl vat.
VALVOLINE ALL CLIMATE - CF4 WITH A 5 LIT PACK 4 + 1 LIT. BONUS IS MRP 848/- WITH A GIFT COUPAN INSIDE. CAN BE BOUGHT FOR 800/-
Old 12th January 2010, 13:14   #268
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Chevron Delo 400 for both my trucks. Excellant oil. Unfortunately, Chevron has shut its operation from India from November '09. I picked up stock for myself from the dealer before he shut shop, that would last me at least 6 to 7 services.

Maybe in the meanwhile Chevron might have a rethink..
Old 12th January 2010, 13:58   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I have been using Chevron Delo 400 for both my trucks. Excellant oil. Unfortunately, Chevron has shut its operation from India from November '09. I picked up stock for myself from the dealer before he shut shop, that would last me at least 6 to 7 services.

Maybe in the meanwhile Chevron might have a rethink..
Stock for 6 to 7 Services ? what is the shelf life , wont it deteriorate.

This brings me to an interesting question. Most of the manufacturers recommend oil change either after XXX Km or YY months time limit example 5000 km or 6 months which ever is earlier in case of Maruti.

Is it a big scam to bring people to service station ? Most of the vehicles in smaller towns are low mileage and change oil as per schedule,

If Oil can be stored in barrel why not in engine sump for same time if vehicle is not driven ? Engine is also sealed so question of absorbing moisture does not arise.
Old 12th January 2010, 14:02   #270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
thats what the manual says, API CF4 15W40. I should stick to Castrol GTD then?

I wonder why these higher grade oils dont do any better
Get the Mobile 1000 TM API-CH4, It comes in 4.5 liter can, with the pic of an indica on top of it. Its sort of de facto oil in Tata dealerships now, and the larger can is for Safari, and 4.5L for indica DICOR
As for engine getting rougher, the problem does not lie in engine oil but elsewhere.
If engine vibrations are an issue, the engine mounts are gone. They are fragile, and most indica's require frequent replacement of the mounts.
If the engine feels stressed under load, check the intake manifold. We often get air filters cleaned, but intake manifold is neglected
Other factors can be dirty injectors. Check your fuel filters. If you find lots of residue it means some of it is going to the injectors too. Start putting system D and over 3-4 tankfulls you will see the difference.
If you haven't flushed your engine for a long time(50,000kms or so) put in engine flush before next change.
But remember if your car has done like 90,000kms and you have never flushed the engine, it may actually lead to compression leak, which may require head gasket replacement.
That said, there is a rear gasket which is prone to leakages, and more often than not around 60-70K mark it may require replacement.
If you are getting judder, the clutch fork may be the culprit. Also make sure you follow the 30,000kms recommendation for gear oil change.
Last but not the least, the indica fuel line to injectors, as well as hand primer o-rings are prone to leakages. Look for diesel residue in the injector or O-Ring area, and if you find any, fixing the leak(replacing pipe or O ring) will take care of the problem. Thankfully, everything including Engine mounts, O Rings, Fuel pipe are cheap and easily available in the open market(as genuine parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Stock for 6 to 7 Services ? what is the shelf life , wont it deteriorate.

This brings me to an interesting question. Most of the manufacturers recommend oil change either after XXX Km or YY months time limit example 5000 km or 6 months which ever is earlier in case of Maruti.

Is it a big scam to bring people to service station ? Most of the vehicles in smaller towns are low mileage and change oil as per schedule,

If Oil can be stored in barrel why not in engine sump for same time if vehicle is not driven ? Engine is also sealed so question of absorbing moisture does not arise.
Oil stored in sump is not pure oil. It will have carbon from engine, sulfur residue and some metal shavings too. This "contaminated oil" does not have same shelf life as carton sealed oil. To do a test, put brand new oil in car, run 10kms, take it out. Compare the color with the oil from the can

Last edited by tsk1979 : 12th January 2010 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks