Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2018, 17:18   #1756
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Hi,

At my nearby Toyota workshop, got engine oil changed twice in my Fortuner 3.0 4WD-MT:

- Toyota Genuine Oil (by Idemitsu) 5w-40 SM/CF Fully Synthetic (changed at 81K)
- Toyota Genuine Oil (by Idemitsu) 5w-30 SM/CF Mineral (changed at 91K)

Many users said both oils good for 10K running, how about changing the mineral one every 5K KM ?
Since this car (recently got it pre-owned) is within 3-year warranty period (will soon buy extended warranty for 4-5yr), workshop said only Toyota oil to be filled.

Any inputs most welcome.

Regards,
Pranav

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th June 2018 at 15:55. Reason: Reducing line spacing as requested
Old 5th June 2018, 17:55   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
- Toyota Genuine Oil (by Idemitsu) 5w-40 SM/CF Fully Synthetic (changed at 81K)
- Toyota Genuine Oil (by Idemitsu) 5w-30 SM/CF Mineral (changed at 91K)
Many users said both oils good for 10K running, how about changing the mineral one every 5K KM ? Since this car (recently got it pre-owned) is within 3-year warranty period (will soon buy extended warranty for 4-5yr), workshop said only Toyota oil to be filled.
Both oils are good and should be changed every 10K kms as per warranty terms. Do as the ASC advises when the car is in warranty. You can change the mineral oil at 5000 kms if you want but it's not required unless your engine sees severe service. I'd stick to Toyota's synthetic if I were you with a drain interval of 10K for optimal lubrication. Or if you want to save some money the mineral will do just fine.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 09:45   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Both oils are good and should be changed every 10K kms as per warranty terms. Do as the ASC advises when the car is in warranty. You can change the mineral oil at 5000 kms if you want but it's not required unless your engine sees severe service. I'd stick to Toyota's synthetic if I were you with a drain interval of 10K for optimal lubrication. Or if you want to save some money the mineral will do just fine.

thanks for the info. On routine usage it would be seeing Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic, and occasional highway runs.

Just that Toyota's preference of "CF" oil is bit of concern as since few years we have seen CH & CI.
Old 7th June 2018, 10:00   #1759
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
thanks for the info. On routine usage it would be seeing Mumbai bumper-to-bumper traffic, and occasional highway runs.
I think the standard mineral will do just fine. But if you want to give your car a better engine oil then it has got to be synthetic.

Quote:
Just that Toyota's preference of "CF" oil is bit of concern as since few years we have seen CH & CI.
Unless specifically made for diesel engines most modern engines oils are API SM/SN ('S for Spark' ignition, petrol) and CF (C for 'Compression ignition', diesel). Obviously API service classifications for petrol engines are current while diesel API 'F' classification is now obsolete and has been superseded and current ones are 'H4' to K4'. Read more here: API service classification for diesel engine oils

Which is why I always recommend using diesel specific oils for diesel engines. But your car is under warranty so use only Toyota lubes whether synthetic or mineral is your choice.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2018, 15:56   #1760
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of CK classifications - Amsoil is available on Amazon and has an API CK4 5w40 diesel truck oil. Right now it seems to be the only CK4 oil available in India from a quick search that I made. Fully synthetic too.

https://www.amazon.in/Synthetic-Dies...dp/B076F44T5Q/

I just acquired 2 gallon cans of this for an upcoming oil change for my Scorpio and will report back after a thousand km or so on how it feels.

Last edited by hserus : 16th July 2018 at 16:15.
Old 30th July 2018, 16:03   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Speaking of CK classifications - Amsoil is available on Amazon and has an API CK4 5w40 diesel truck oil. Right now it seems to be the only CK4 oil available in India from a quick search that I made. Fully synthetic too.

https://www.amazon.in/Synthetic-Dies...dp/B076F44T5Q/

I just acquired 2 gallon cans of this for an upcoming oil change for my Scorpio and will report back after a thousand km or so on how it feels.
Even I'm thinking of using this for my XUV. Being made specifically for Diesel engine I feel it should be better than other synthetic oil available in 5w40. Have you changed it yet? Do post the feedback.
Old 30th July 2018, 16:17   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Even I'm thinking of using this for my XUV. Being made specifically for Diesel engine I feel it should be better than other synthetic oil available in 5w40. Have you changed it yet? Do post the feedback.
Feels quite smooth but this is after around 110 km of purely city use including a couple of 20 km early morning drives on empty roads. I need to take it for a good long drive of 600+ km before I can find out but my instinct is that this oil is good.
Old 30th July 2018, 19:24   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotty91 View Post
Took in my 2014 Ritz Diesel for the 40,000 Kms/ 4 year service last month.
But this time it was filled with Servo A5/B5 5W/30.
Does anybody have any experience /review of the Servo A5/B5 5W30 oil?
Another question, in the New Maruti Diesels they specify A5/B5 5W30 oils, so is there a difference in the old diesel engines (where 5W/40 was recommended) compared to the New Diesel Engines (where 5W30 is recommended)? Maybe in the tolerances etc?
Or is it that just the oil viscosity was changed to improve the Fuel economy figures?
Can someone throw light on my above queries, please?
Hey,
I own a scross 1.3. Till 40,000 kms my car used to get serviced at MASS. I didn't pay attention to the oil grade they used till then.
But at 50K mark, I changed to HP neo-synth 5w30 which adheres to Acea-A5/B5 that is mentioned in the manual. I didn't have much knowledge then. The car was fine. I personally didn't use the car much so can't comment much.
At 60K, I changed to 5w40 mgdo petronas oil. Right now I m at 68K kms, I find the diesel engine vibration more prominent and the cold start noise also very irritating.
So I have purchased this liqui moly engine oil flush and wish to change back to 5w30 but this time I have finalized on new range Castrol magnatech fully synthetic 5w30 Acea-A5/B5, exactly what my manual suggests. It retails at 1783/- with minimum 100/- rupees coupon. It won't set me back by much so if I am not satisfied with the product I will change the oil at 75K or will add liqui moly ceratec (heard good reviews) to the existing setup.

The only reason I am planning for 5w-30 grade is fuel efficiency.
So at the end of the day, 5w30 (A5/B5) or 5w40 (MGDO or more premium versions), I think it would boil down to your priority: fuel efficiency or smoothness (both marginal increase over each other I suppose).

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:12   #1764
BHPian

Question to the experts.

I was reading in the Bharat Benz Glider launch thread, that the oil change interval is 1 lakh kilometers . Other commercial vehicles too must be in the same ball park, I resume.

I had no idea, though coming to think of it, shorter duration of oil change would see the bus/truck in the garage every other day with the owner parting with a large part of his profit for oil change.

This is for a HCV. I wonder what the oil change intervals are for MCVs and LCVs like the 407s.

But my question is this. Now I drive a diesel, a 3.2 Endeavour (probably an engine comparable to MCVs in swept volume, and also on torque), oil change is every 10000 KMS. What makes the commercial vehicle engine so much tougher than the engine in my car that it requires an oil change only once in 1 lakh kilometers?

I understand commercial vehicles generate most of their torque at lower rpms as compared to cars and are generally low rpm engines. But then their power to weight ratio, torque to weight ratio, when loaded to the brim, is far lesser than a car and are often running in lower gears and high rpms and often in not so favourable conditions.

Now what is it that makes the engine oil last that long in a commercial vehicle? Is it the shorter duration as compared to cars or is it something else?
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2018, 06:49   #1765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Question to the experts.

I was reading in the Bharat Benz Glider launch thread, that the oil change interval is 1 lakh kilometers . Other commercial vehicles too must be in the same ball park, I resume.
https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ange-intervals

Suggests 50k miles - but under US or European conditions I assume with much cleaner fuel and less dust and pollution.

Doing this in India is how buses get to belch black smoke I guess.
Old 9th August 2018, 13:23   #1766
BHPian

My XUV is due for oil change in sometime, I was looking out for options and was tilted between Motul X-cess 5w40 and amsoil 5w40 synthetic Diesel oil. One very strange thing I found was that Motul X-cess is API CF classified while XUV manual says that oil should be Minimum CH4. The amsoil on the other hand is CK4 with backward compatibility. Does this means Motul X-cess is generation old oil and is not compatible to most of the Diesel cars which needs CH4 and above?
saurabhkum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2018, 13:24   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Does this means Motul X-cess is generation old oil and is not compatible to most of the Diesel cars which needs CH4 and above?
I could just answer saying "yes" but tbhp requires a minimum 20 characters .. so yes. You are correct.

I'm using Amsoil 5w40 in my Scorpio and it feels great. Super smooth.
Old 9th August 2018, 14:04   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My XUV is due for oil change in sometime, I was looking out for options and was tilted between Motul X-cess 5w40 and amsoil 5w40 synthetic Diesel oil. One very strange thing I found was that Motul X-cess is API CF classified while XUV manual says that oil should be Minimum CH4. The amsoil on the other hand is CK4 with backward compatibility. Does this means Motul X-cess is generation old oil and is not compatible to most of the Diesel cars which needs CH4 and above?
Firstly Motul X-cess 5W-40 is a petrol engine oil & not meant for modern diesels i.e. those built after 2009.

I have stressed this time and again (on the synthetic oil thread) that diesel vehicle owners MUST use contemporary diesel specific oils. DO NOT blindly use synthetic oils without checking the API Cx grade. Most synthetics are formulated for gasoline engines. On the other hand, Amsoil Diesel is a synthetic that is, well, as the name says meant for diesel engines.

PS - All synthetics mention they are suitable for petrol AND diesel engines. Yep, suitable for older diesel engines. Caveat emptor.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th August 2018 at 14:11. Reason: typo & PS
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2018, 17:04   #1769
Senior - BHPian

This is a lovely lecture on diesel engine oils and why 40 weight oils became a standard.

hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 13:40   #1770
BHPian

Re: Fully Synthetic Oil for Swift VDi?

What would be the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil after 'Mobil Delvac 1' for Swift VDi(2009)?

I have 'Mobil Delvac 1' running now and would like to try the next best fully synthetic diesel engine oil for the upcoming service.

Please suggest!

Last edited by JMaruru : 16th October 2018 at 13:49.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks