Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2010, 22:33   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Could anyone tell me about the performance of Castrol CRB Turbo on Tata Safari. Is it any better than Castrol GTX and Magnatec.

Thanks.
Castrol GTX Diesel is recommended for 2.2 VTT Dicor, CRB turbo is cheaper the GTX Diesel , As both are from same company I would assume GTX Diesel is better.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:08   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I used crb turbo and it is not bad. Now I changed to magnatec few days back. It is a semi synthetic oil used for both peterol and diesel, but I could not find the rating anywhere. According to at least two dealers this oil is good for diesel and can be used without any issues for better protection. The engine is very smooth and the pick up has increased but I am wondering whether to keep it or change it to crb turbo or mobil (which means a loss of 2.4k).
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Castrol GTX Diesel is recommended for 2.2 VTT Dicor, CRB turbo is cheaper the GTX Diesel , As both are from same company I would assume GTX Diesel is better.

Till date I have always filled in GTX (once magnatec) or whatever is\was recommended as the car always visit SC for each and every work, no local guys till now. I found Magnatec to be more good when the engine warms-up. The smoothness was more than GTX at normal operating temperature and engine feeled stress free when rev'd to 3K all day long at 1000+kms journeys continuously.

Still, I would'nt like to experiment with a 2L kms old engine.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:12   #438
Senior - BHPian

@tush, you wont go wrong with the Delvac MX - if you flip back a few pages in this thread, you would see that the Delvac MX is THE mineral oil most of us with CRDI Diesels swear by.
Old 27th August 2010, 20:20   #439
BHPian

I don't know whether it is off topic or not but I have come across a website which sells a device which pre-lubricates the engine before the engine starts. The seller says that most of the engine wear and tear happens during the time of starting as it takes a couple of seconds for the engine lubricant to be pumped. Would like to know opinion's on this subject.

Here's the link

http://www.autoenginelube.com
Old 27th August 2010, 21:02   #440
Team-BHP Support

In theory what he says is true, but modern oils leave a small layer intact atleast for few days. So unless you park your cars for weeks on regular basis, it will not really matter. And realistically average ownership doesn't go beyond 75-80 k kms in India. Just my opinion.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:19   #441
Senior - BHPian

@vamsi.kona:
The modern engines have been designed with considering almost all damages that are minor or severe. That product might be useful for old-gen cars. In new gen cars, no problems.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:32   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Any form of flushing is not good for the engine because the wonder product also removes good carbon and by that I mean the carbon that gives the engine a good seal achieved during the running in period. If you have been regularly flushing during oil changes then its not that much of a problem but if done after crossing 'n' number of oil changes then I advice you against it.

Same is the case with radiator flush. If you regularly flush it every 2 years and change the coolant every 2 years then there is not much of problem. If you change the coolant mix every year then flushing is not required. Make sure to use distilled water though at least the one sold as battery water. 5 liters costs just 60 rupees and this water will decelerate scaling and rust formation.

The last time I did flush was at 45k IIRC. Now odo is at 68k ( oil was changed at 60k) and I will be changing oil tomorrow.

Should I flush or not?

Edit: I bought only 7liters of Mobil! Should have bought 8 right?

Last edited by jkdas : 27th August 2010 at 22:47.
Old 27th August 2010, 22:43   #443
Senior - BHPian

Some VW engines have a valve that wouldn't let the oil drain back to the sump when the engine is shut off.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:24   #444
BHPian

dfd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
@tush, you wont go wrong with the Delvac MX - if you flip back a few pages in this thread, you would see that the Delvac MX is THE mineral oil most of us with CRDI Diesels swear by.
Thanks for the information ph03n!x.

My beasts KMs are nearing 16k and I haven't yet managed to spare some time to get it done. Will get it done within this coming week.

Between I still have 2 liters of Delvac Super 1300 from the last service. The Package reads as below -

---------------------------------------------------------------
Meets API CF-4, ACEA E2/B2/A2, MB 228.1, MAN 271.
Suitable for use in applications requiring API CG-4/SG/SH/SJ,
Volvo VDS.
PKD Date - 06/2009
Its not a CI4 or CH4.

Looks like I will have to dump this OIL(un-necessary wastage) as I am going for Delvac MX else I was planning to get Delvac Super for this schedule change and utilize the spare liters that I have and move to Delvac MX once my car reaches 20K km service interval.

I have one more question. I read the thread and noticed that a flush is recommended by many Bhpians. Could you experts tell me if its required for my purpose at 20K km. The reason I ask is because I am going to continue with Mineral Oil itself and my every day driving is around 20-22km starting from within City crowds and gradually the road opens up as I get to the main roads. In city crowds I am mostly changing gears between 1-2-3 and occasionally 4th for around 3-4 kms, then its much more open road with less traffic. While returning home there is hardly any traffic and hence I drive anywhere from 60 to 110 Kmph. My highway trips are not too much either as of now, but have too many plans

Thanks Guys, Your inputs are valuable.

tush.
Old 28th August 2010, 07:48   #445
Senior - BHPian

Don't delay or experiment with the engine oil, especially on modern CRDi mills. While most manufacturers recommend a 10k or 15k oil change, a bunch of us (including me) are pretty religious about a 5k interval (oil at every 5k, and oil+filter every 10k).

~250 bucks per liter for the Delvac MX is not a huge price to pay one in 5k - we are not sure if a 10k or 15k interval is too long or just right, but then changing it more often does no harm (maybe does a ton of good!). Also, I remember my Getz CRDi's manual saying a 5k interval for "harsh driving conditions" - IMHO, our bumper to bumper peak hour traffic is harsh enough!

I am not a fan of engine flush - my car is already closing in on 30k. Maybe after 75k or so, I might take an advice from my trusted garage...
Old 28th August 2010, 07:56   #446
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried Petronas Urania ? Every wholeseller shop is brandishing this oil
http://www.mymesra.com.my/microsite/...premo_CI_4.pdf
Seems promising..
Old 28th August 2010, 08:50   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
dfd

Between I still have 2 liters of Delvac Super 1300 from the last service. The Package reads as below -

Meets API CF-4, ACEA E2/B2/A2, MB 228.1, MAN 271.
Suitable for use in applications requiring API CG-4/SG/SH/SJ,
Volvo VDS.
PKD Date - 06/2009
Its not a CI4 or CH4.
I am using this Mobil "super 1300" in my DDIS engine and working fine.
Old 28th August 2010, 09:25   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Don't delay or experiment with the engine oil, especially on modern CRDi mills. While most manufacturers recommend a 10k or 15k oil change, a bunch of us (including me) are pretty religious about a 5k interval (oil at every 5k, and oil+filter every 10k).

~250 bucks per liter for the Delvac MX is not a huge price to pay one in 5k - we are not sure if a 10k or 15k interval is too long or just right, but then changing it more often does no harm (maybe does a ton of good!). Also, I remember my Getz CRDi's manual saying a 5k interval for "harsh driving conditions" - IMHO, our bumper to bumper peak hour traffic is harsh enough!

I am not a fan of engine flush - my car is already closing in on 30k. Maybe after 75k or so, I might take an advice from my trusted garage...
Yeah wont delay to much now. It will be done next week. These buggers ask for 2-3 hours for the whole procedure of washing and changing oil, oil filter.

I have been religiously changing the Oil and Oil filter too at every 5k Kms since I have bought this beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I am using this Mobil "super 1300" in my DDIS engine and working fine.
Yeah its good but now MX seems to be much better from what I read in the thread, so I am giving it a shot.

I read some where in this thread about high detergent content in MX and it could be harmful. Any thoughts on this guys ?
Old 31st August 2010, 14:23   #449

Oil for Getz Crdi

I have done about 30K in my getz crdi in the first year . Was using mineral oil till now (changed at every 5K). Now planning to switch to fully synthentic oil. Problem is the grade. i checked with Mobil1 distributor and they have grades of 5W50 and 0W40. My service people have been using 10W30 mineral oil till now. 10W30 is specified in my getz manual for the array of temperatures mentioned. I want to know whether any of the mobil1 grades can be used on my engine? I have gone through many of the threads, also went to car bible for a detailed study but couldnt decide . So please help.

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd September 2010 at 13:25. Reason: Please use Search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 31st August 2010, 20:26   #450
BHPian

I too was wondering about the same thing recently. I have an Accent CRDi. agspins suggested 15W40 (but that was for Gulf Max). Here's the link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...lutions-2.html

Don't know if it'll be helpful. I too will be watching this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks