Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 22:36   #421
BHPian

Drain oils when its real hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I have a 1999 Tata Indica Diesel(run 50,000+ kms). I have always used HP diesel engine oils. Lately I have noticed that a lot of old oil sludge that is making new oil also look dirty black.
I came across this product called Cyclo Motor Flush by Pidlite(eBay India: CYCLO MOTOR FLUSH CLEAN ENGINE IN 3 MINUTE 1TIME INDIA (item 170518323629 end time 23-Aug-2010 21:09:09 IST)) I have never flushed the engine oil in 11yrs
Is it advisable to use this to clear the sludge that is stuck? And what is the engine oil that is recommended for my car?
Your mechanic has not drained the oil in previous fills when the engine was real hot. Always drain engine and gear oils when the engine and gear box is real hot without scalding your hands. Drain it over night for a thorough job like I do.

Since you have a lot of muck in your oil pan I suggest that next time you remove the pan and get it cleaned thoroughly.

If the oil turns black in about 500km even after thorough cleaning of the oil pan its time you got a re-bore job done.
Old 2nd August 2010, 11:29   #422
Senior - BHPian

@drpullockaran...Thanks for the advice. So is there any use of buying the Cyclo Motor Flush? Or manual flushing is better?
Old 3rd August 2010, 00:36   #423
BHPian

Flushing with wonder products is not good for your engines health

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
@drpullockaran...Thanks for the advice. So is there any use of buying the Cyclo Motor Flush? Or manual flushing is better?
Any form of flushing is not good for the engine because the wonder product also removes good carbon and by that I mean the carbon that gives the engine a good seal achieved during the running in period. If you have been regularly flushing during oil changes then its not that much of a problem but if done after crossing 'n' number of oil changes then I advice you against it.

Same is the case with radiator flush. If you regularly flush it every 2 years and change the coolant every 2 years then there is not much of problem. If you change the coolant mix every year then flushing is not required. Make sure to use distilled water though at least the one sold as battery water. 5 liters costs just 60 rupees and this water will decelerate scaling and rust formation.
Old 17th August 2010, 01:21   #424
BHPian

I changed the engine oil to Castrol Magnatec for my safari. I think earlier they had something like Castrol Magnatec for diesel, but now they have just Castrol Magnatec, same for petrol and diesel.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7037323

Will it cause any damage to Safari engine (TCIC) ?

The specification of Magnatec is 10W-40, but the specification for safari is 15W-40. The mechanic said thinner the oil, better is the protection.

The engine is super smooth though, much better than earlier.
Old 17th August 2010, 11:12   #425
Team-BHP Support

Castrol GTX diesel API-CH4 grade is much better oil for diesel vehicles. The magnatec is only API-CF4
CH4 has additional lubricants to provide protection when low sulfur diesel is used, as such diesel has low lubricity.
Ideally, for ULSD(50ppm or below) API-CI4 grade oil is best, but its very difficult to find.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:32   #426
BHPian

Thanks Tanveer.

I talked to the dealers today.

According to them, the new Magnatec is semi-synthetic, and the same can be used for both diesel and petrol vehicles.

This does not seem right, but even the website confirms that it is for superior protection of petrol as well as diesel vehicles.

Now I don't think the grade is mentioned for the diesel vehicles.

I think the old Magnatec had different options for diesel and petrol, but this one seems to have just the same "version" for petrol and diesel.

Even Castrol Edge seems to have only one version for both petrol and diesel. The logic is same, since Edge is synthetic oil, separate versions are not required.

I am not sure if that is true.

I paid close to Rs. 300+ per ltr., which is more expensive than GTX. So in theory, this should be a better oil compared to GTX.

So, the question remains, should I keep this oil or change it? The engine is super smooth though, and the pick up has increased.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:58   #427
Senior - BHPian

OWS has a API CI4+ rated oil in synthetic - anyone tried it? I will be, in about 4k KMs.
Old 17th August 2010, 18:59   #428
Senior - BHPian

On the basis of inputs on this thread I am replacing my engine oil at 15000 km with Mobil Delvac. The shop had "Mobil delvac MX" and "Mobil delvac super 1300" : I asked for 3 liters of MX but he didnt have 3 x 1 litres cans. he had only one. so bought 3 x 1 litres of the Super 1300. not much difference in the specs and price is 243/-

Anyone has had any experience with this.

Though the next service is at 20000 km i am changing oil, oil filter and air filter at 15000 itself. will post experience after the changes.
Old 19th August 2010, 20:35   #429

I am using Mobil 1 0W40 for my Dzire Zdi. Is it the best for Dzire Diesel? its whooping Rs.1100 per litre. I was told my Maruti people that this is the best as this is the synthetic oil.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:28   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalcute View Post
I am using Mobil 1 0W40 for my Dzire Zdi. Is it the best for Dzire Diesel? its whooping Rs.1100 per litre. I was told my Maruti people that this is the best as this is the synthetic oil.
Had already been said here before - Mobil 1 Synthetics are not the best for Diesels - Mobil has a Mobil Delvac 1 Synthetic for Diesels, which is pretty much vaporware in India.

Look for the "API CI4+" marking on whatever oil - mineral or synthetic - that you get for your car.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:31   #431
BHPian

shell synthetic ultra should be good check for the rating
For eg. for Elantra it has to be B4 and above with respect to ACMA rating
it costs about 900 Rs. a litre
Old 21st August 2010, 13:35   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
On the basis of inputs on this thread I am replacing my engine oil at 15000 km with Mobil Delvac. The shop had "Mobil delvac MX" and "Mobil delvac super 1300" : I asked for 3 liters of MX but he didnt have 3 x 1 litres cans. he had only one. so bought 3 x 1 litres of the Super 1300. not much difference in the specs and price is 243/-

Anyone has had any experience with this.

Mobil delvac MX is good. I dont know about delvac super 1300. check the API rating to decide.

I know of a certain community that swears by Mobil Delvac MX and they are all HAPPY customers.

So you too should'nt be an exception!
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:11   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tush View Post
Hello Friends, Swift Owners, Gurus,

Have to get my Swift DDIS oil and oil filter changed. As it is, from the information on this thread I have always been using Mobil Delvac 15 W 40.

Last time since the service center didnt had it, I had to provide them myself.
I had to get 5 Liter pack as nothing less then that was available with the distributer. After filling up 3.1 liter the rest is still with me. The car was serviced at 10k.

This time again I have to provide them with this OIL, as they are using Shell.

Now its 15.5K and I got to change the oil filter and oil. The previous box reads Mobil Delva Super 1300 15 W 40. When I went today to by one the dealer said company no longer gives Super 1300, its now upgraded to MX. He showed me the 5 liter pack and it reads Mobil Delvac MX 15 W 40.

Guys I am a noob. Slight difference in wordings also makes me wait before I confirm if I should go ahead with this one.

What is the difference between MX and Super 1300?
Should I go for it. Or should I ask him to arrange Super 1300 if possible.

Thanks,
Tushar.
Sorry Folks had posted above in the Turbo Issue thread. Could any one help me what I should do in the above case.

Mods could you please help me delete the similar post in - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...on-thread.html

Apologies for the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Mobil delvac MX is good. I dont know about delvac super 1300. check the API rating to decide.

I know of a certain community that swears by Mobil Delvac MX and they are all HAPPY customers.

So you too should'nt be an exception!
@headers I will try to get the API rating.

Thanks,
Tushar.

Last edited by tush : 23rd August 2010 at 00:23.
Old 23rd August 2010, 00:52   #434
Senior - BHPian

Could anyone tell me about the performance of Castrol CRB Turbo on Tata Safari. Is it any better than Castrol GTX and Magnatec.

Thanks.
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:35   #435
BHPian

I used crb turbo and it is not bad. Now I changed to magnatec few days back. It is a semi synthetic oil used for both peterol and diesel, but I could not find the rating anywhere. According to at least two dealers this oil is good for diesel and can be used without any issues for better protection. The engine is very smooth and the pick up has increased but I am wondering whether to keep it or change it to crb turbo or mobil (which means a loss of 2.4k).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks