Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 15:08   #466
BHPian

This is one long thread which I definitely have to go through when time permits.

But as a quickie, what is your recommendation for the best mineral based engine oil for Hyundai CRDi engines? This is for my Tucson which has done close to 1 Lac kms and running great.

Hyundai A.S.S uses Servo but I'm sure there are better options than common-garden Servo oils.
Old 5th September 2010, 16:03   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
This is one long thread which I definitely have to go through when time permits.

But as a quickie, what is your recommendation for the best mineral based engine oil for Hyundai CRDi engines? This is for my Tucson which has done close to 1 Lac kms and running great.

Hyundai A.S.S uses Servo but I'm sure there are better options than common-garden Servo oils.
The answer is right here: Mobile Delvac MX

I swear by it for my Getz CRDi, look back the the last few pages and you would know a lot with CRDi mills (not just Hyundai) go with it.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:15   #468
BHPian

Thanks a lot ph03n!x.

Now to hunt for Mobil Delvac MX and the Oil filter in Bangalore so that I can change it myself or by a 3rd party workshop. The last time I checked, Hyundai A.S.S does not allow lubricants to be brought from outside.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:23   #469
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Can any one kindly answer my question, im scratching my head due to this?

Question : The recommened engine Oil spec for Fiesta Diesel is SAE 5W-30. I recently switched over to Mobil1 SuperSynthetic 5W-50. It costs 950 per ltr. But there was mentioned in the can lable indicates for Petrol or diesel. Is this Synthetic oil (Mobil1 Super Syn) spec common for both diesel and petrol engines? My car has completed 1K with the new oil as I don't see any issues. But this thing still sits on my head and i did not get any update/answer as of now. Please answer my question, since I don;t have any otherway to confirm this. Thanks in advance.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:24   #470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
The last time I checked, Hyundai A.S.S does not allow lubricants to be brought from outside.
I am surprised since for the past 8 years (I bought my Accent in August 2002) I have always provided my own lubes. Ditto for Maruti earlier. Only make sure the lube equals or exceed the specs. Threaten them with consumer court if thy refuse and ask them to give it in Black & White. They will back off.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:38   #471
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
The recommened engine Oil spec for Fiesta Diesel is SAE 5W-30. I recently switched over to Mobil1 SuperSynthetic 5W-50. It costs 950 per ltr. But there was mentioned in the can lable indicates for Petrol or diesel. Is this Synthetic oil (Mobil1 Super Syn) spec common for both diesel and petrol engines? .
The spec of the oil wrt grade is fine, but if you are asking if this is the ideal oil for diesel engines, then answer is No.

Reason being, Mobil has a diesel specific synthetic engine oil, this should be launching soon in retail market. this is what i have come to know of.
Old 6th September 2010, 13:09   #472
BHPian

Thanks a lot Jaggu. Now im pretty much relaxed. Actually, I was worrying like wrong spec/oil will lead to damage the engine to some extent. However, I will be careful during my next oil change (hope i will get diesel specific sythetic oil that time).
Old 6th September 2010, 14:42   #473
BANNED

I think I read somewhere on the Mobil site that at the end of the day use Diesel specific oil for a Diesel and vice versa, since howsoever good, a cross usage will never be ideal.
Old 6th September 2010, 16:16   #474

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Condor,where can i get the delvac MX in bangalore?any trusted shops?
I bought this at bangalore at a shop in JC road. you will get it at many shops there. I got it for 250/ltr.
Old 7th September 2010, 19:33   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friends,

Can any one kindly answer my question, im scratching my head due to this?

Question : The recommened engine Oil spec for Fiesta Diesel is SAE 5W-30. I recently switched over to Mobil1 SuperSynthetic 5W-50. It costs 950 per ltr. But there was mentioned in the can lable indicates for Petrol or diesel. Is this Synthetic oil (Mobil1 Super Syn) spec common for both diesel and petrol engines? My car has completed 1K with the new oil as I don't see any issues. But this thing still sits on my head and i did not get any update/answer as of now. Please answer my question, since I don;t have any otherway to confirm this. Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
The spec of the oil wrt grade is fine, but if you are asking if this is the ideal oil for diesel engines, then answer is No.

Reason being, Mobil has a diesel specific synthetic engine oil, this should be launching soon in retail market. this is what i have come to know of.
Quote:
Thanks a lot Jaggu. Now im pretty much relaxed. Actually, I was worrying like wrong spec/oil will lead to damage the engine to some extent. However, I will be careful during my next oil change (hope i will get diesel specific sythetic oil that time).
I have a similar problem. I changed oil for my safari to Castrol Magnatec which is 10W 40. The recommended oil is 15W 40 but all dealers I spoke to said it would be fine. However, it was the same oil for petrol and diesel and I was not sure whether the oil was good for safari.
Old 8th September 2010, 06:47   #476
BHPian

It's both the API grade & SAE rating that you need to be mindful about.If 15W-40 is recommended and you're using 10W-40 (which will be thinner),you're ok in my opinion.But do check the API grade as well.If the manufacturer says API CH-4 & above and you use API CF rated oil,you could be in trouble.
Old 8th September 2010, 11:09   #477
BHPian

I haven't read through the entire topic but I guess this should answer all questions; rather than blindly trying to find the right brand of oil, you can see what classification of oil is given on the can (there has to be an oil classification/certification from API or SAE).
Oils that are 'Sx' certified (eg. SM, SL, SJ) fall under the Service category (as I like to remember Spark Ignition) and are for Gasoline engines.
Oils that are 'Cx' certified (eg. CI, CJ, CH) fall under the Commercial category (as I use to remember Compression Ignition) and are for diesel engines.

The attached PDF file should put all doubts to rest.

All other questions regarding choosing the right grade have been answered several times, so i'm not going to do a recap.

Hope this is of use
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EngineOilGuide_March2010.pdf (972.3 KB, 496 views)
Old 8th September 2010, 11:30   #478
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I have a similar problem. I changed oil for my safari to Castrol Magnatec which is 10W 40. The recommended oil is 15W 40 but all dealers I spoke to said it would be fine. However, it was the same oil for petrol and diesel and I was not sure whether the oil was good for safari.
Using 10W40 in place of 15W40 should be Ok. Only if the car starts consuming oil will it be an issue.

Incidentally, I thought Safari engine is diesel and Magnatec is a Petrol oil so why this choice of lube?
Old 8th September 2010, 11:37   #479
Team-BHP Support

You should not put magnatec in your safari. It does not meet the minimum API-CH4 standard required for the safari.
The following oils meet or exceed the API-CH4 specification, and are commonly available
1. Castrol CRB - Turbo
2. Castrol GTX Diesel
3. Mobil TM 1000
4. Elf Turbo(CH4)
Old 8th September 2010, 18:35   #480
BHPian

Best Oil for Fiat Palio Multijet Diesel Engine

Best Oil for Fiat Palio Multijet Diesel Engine.

My Palio MJD has been serviced recently,please let me know what is the best diesel engine oil for Multijets.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks