Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2021, 01:30   #2281
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Anything with 0w30 is likely a synthetic. How do you find the engine performance with this oil?
Haven't shifted from the OE mineral 0W20 grade yet. Don't see the value in spending 9k on it, and only for 10k km that too.
Old 20th November 2021, 04:46   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey Hserus, my recommended grade for Seltos Diesel is 0W20 C5.

Given that it's not easily available or is super expensive (fully synthetic), will the Castrol 5W 30 LL work instead?
Quote:
Unfortunately not. It’s a rare spec in the Indian market with just that Mobil 1 oil I showed you, so just use Kia oem oil for now.
I beg to differ Sirs.

Kia's recommended specs of C5 (xW20) is a mid SaPS oil for fuel economy, among others.

At the expense of fuel economy if perceptible, one would have the option of complying with Kia's requirements of mid SaPS oil properties by selecting other compatriot mid SaPS oils in a :
a )C2 (xW30) for incrementally stronger components protection or,
b )C3 (xW30/40) for 'extreme' components protection.

In Kuala Lumpur market, C3 is typically more widely available at lower price than a C2.

Hence I am of the opinion that this Castrol 5W 30 LL C3 is suitable for Seltos diesel application for super Minimum Oil Film Thickness at the expense of of supposed fuel economy hit.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Haven't shifted from the OE mineral 0W20 grade yet. Don't see the value in spending 9k on it, and only for 10k km that too.
15k km (or higher)UOAs or blotter spot tests from engines with typical normal condition always suggests an API Sx used oil with significant residual life to go.

I would expect a ACEA Cx to perform same or better.

In my humble opinion, ACEA C5 at 10k km is quite a wastage.
Old 20th November 2021, 09:34   #2283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
In Kuala Lumpur market, C3 is typically more widely available at lower price than a C2.

15k km (or higher)UOAs or blotter spot tests from engines with typical normal condition always suggests an API Sx used oil with significant residual life to go.

I have no idea about the Kia engine or why they specified C5 for it. In normal conditions I would agree with you.

A good 5w30 C3 would be ideal for 90% of diesel, especially BS6 diesel, cars on the Indian market.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 13:40   #2284
BHPian

Quote:

Hi, am afraid I didn't understand a single word of this (Iamdumb.jpg), can you explain in simpler English?
Old 20th November 2021, 18:59   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
For BS6 Endeavour, manual says 0w30, but local ford service center has 5w30 and they say it is fine to fill with 5w30 for BS6 model too.
Seems like it was a mistake from the SA whoever talked with me on phone. Ford service center indeed uses 0w30 oil for BS6 vehicles and I assume they use same for all their diesel vehicles. Here is the photo i took from there,
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-pxl_20211120_061419770.jpg  

Old 21st November 2021, 06:56   #2286
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, am afraid I didn't understand a single word of this (Iamdumb.jpg), can you explain in simpler English?
My apologies for use of acronyms.

UOA = Used Oil Analysis (Elemental)
API Sx = API SN+/SN/SM/SL specifications
ACEA Cx = ACEA C1/C2/C3/C4 and C5 specifications (Mid SaPS and Low SaPS oils)
SaPS = Sulphated ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur content in percentage.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st November 2021 at 07:56. Reason: Minor formatting :)
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 10:51   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
My apologies for use of acronyms.

UOA = Used Oil Analysis (Elemental)
API Sx = API SN+/SN/SM/SL specifications
ACEA Cx = ACEA C1/C2/C3/C4 and C5 specifications (Mid SaPS and Low SaPS oils)
SaPS = Sulphated ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur content in percentage.
Ah okay thanks. And are you saying that synthetic is good or no? In the sense that's what's your take
Old 21st November 2021, 10:55   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you are getting the correct engine oil from KIA at ~ 1600 INR as per their service cost calculator, please stick to it and use the rest of the ~7K on the more fun engine oil aka diesel
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2021, 12:13   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
I have no idea about the Kia engine or why they specified C5 for it. In normal conditions I would agree with you.

A good 5w30 C3 would be ideal for 90% of diesel, especially BS6 diesel, cars on the Indian market.
Kia Seltos BS6 diesel engines probably comes with modern after-treatment exhaust systems such as DPF Diesel Particulate Filter etc.

Such BS6 engines requires a mid-SaPS (C2, C3 and C5) oil as a minimum to meet local emissions standards. Low SaPS oils are even better for said diese engine but not needed and unnecessary.

Kia factory has for reasons of fuel economy decided to recomend a low viscosity mid-SaPS C5 0W20 that falls on one end of the chart.

On the other end of the suitable range a thickest viscosity C3 (xW30/40) would have offered Maximum components protection at the expense of supposed fuel economy, whilst attributes of C2 (xW30) falling in between C5 and C3.

Alternatively, Kia Seltos could have opted for an even higher performance specifications of low-SaPS oil in either ACEA C1 or C4 oils.
Old 21st November 2021, 12:30   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Ah okay thanks. And are you saying that synthetic is good or no? In the sense that's what's your take
Not sure whether I fully understand what you meant to say in the context of Kia Seltos diesels factory recommendation of C5 0W20 oil.

As I understand it, all mid- (and low-) SaPS oils in in ACEA C1/C2/C3/C4 and C5 are fully synthetic oils as defined in American terminology.

On the other hand almost All 0W20 too are fully synthetic oils be it API SN/SN+ or ACEA Cx or A1B1/A5B5.
Old 21st November 2021, 19:46   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure whether I fully understand what you meant to say in the context of Kia Seltos diesels factory recommendation of C5 0W20 oil.

As I understand it, all mid- (and low-) SaPS oils in in ACEA C1/C2/C3/C4 and C5 are fully synthetic oils as defined in American terminology.

On the other hand almost All 0W20 too are fully synthetic oils be it API SN/SN+ or ACEA Cx or A1B1/A5B5.
There seems to be a default assumption that all dealer provided default oils are conventional / mineral or at most semi synthetic / syn blend.

More than likely to be a group III synthetic rather than a top of the line PAO base stock oil, but yeah synthetic all right.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:12   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There's an interesting 5w30 ACEA C3 oil that might be worth a look. Its HTHS viscosity (3.5) is at the upper end of the A5B5 spec (2.9-3.5) - might be a bit more suitable in hotter countries like India.

Fantastic oil, Castrol Edge 5w30 LL.

https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-Edge-5.../dp/B07TWCGNDR
Any idea on how Meguin oils are?
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...HCNJHRAH&psc=1
Was thinking of using this on my SCross 1.6 since its approved by Fiat.
FYI Meguin is owned by Liqui Moly.
Old 23rd November 2021, 07:38   #2293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Any idea on how Meguin oils are?
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...HCNJHRAH&psc=1
Was thinking of using this on my SCross 1.6 since its approved by Fiat.
FYI Meguin is owned by Liqui Moly.
I don’t have a good opinion of Liqui Moly personally. Still if it works for you and has a fiat approval it won’t hurt your car, hurt your pocket maybe.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2021, 13:55   #2294
BHPian

Hello Engine oil gurus

In my quest for the holy 0w20 C5 synthetic for diesel grail, I chanced on this

Would this work? Cost also is reasonable.

Take a look at this MOBIL Super 3000 0W-20 Synthetic Full-Synthetic Engine Oil on Flipkart
https://dl.flipkart.com/s/8PKHhruuuN
Old 24th November 2021, 14:42   #2295
Senior - BHPian

If you scroll through the various images there, they say it supports Kia Sonet / Seltos. However - It is an API SP ILSAC GF6 so should be good for turbo petrols rather than diesels. Anyone with a Seltos petrol will do quite good with this oil.

Quote:
Hello Engine oil gurus

In my quest for the holy 0w20 C5 synthetic for diesel grail, I chanced on this

Would this work? Cost also is reasonable.

Take a look at this MOBIL Super 3000 0W-20 Synthetic Full-Synthetic Engine Oil on Flipkart
https://dl.flipkart.com/s/8PKHhruuuN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks