Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2021, 13:19   #2266
Senior - BHPian

Oft repeated question

Guess repeating what has been already asked / discussed 'n' number of times. However, this query adds a finer touch

Getting 15w40 oil 3 litre for my petrol car is becoming a hassle. Either the correct grade for a petrol car is not available, or it is available in 3.5 / 4 litre packs (getting three 1 litre packs was the final option).

Query is this -

I got this oil from Valvoline (3.5 litre) which was good for DIESEL and petrol engines (CI-4 & SL rated)

Name:  Valvoline.jpg
Views: 944
Size:  24.6 KB

This time, I was offered this one by ENI (3 litre) which is CH4 rated and only for DIESEL engines.

Name:  Eni.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  37.8 KB

What would be difference between the oils - even if the grade matches, would the oil properties be vastly different? (It would be, but to what extent?)

Of course, the intention behind asking the question is whether I can safely use the ENI oil in my petrol car!

Because, I have used the Valvoline for my previous oil change, there has been no perceptible change in the vehicle behaviour. If at all there was one (it could be purely my feeling than fact), the gear shifts improved as the oil got older (i.e. initial 1000 odd kms was comparatively harder than the following 2000 - 3000 kms and now with close to 5000 kms, it feels even more better. The change in weather (the initial use was in peak summer and now perceptibly cooler) could also be a factor. But, it could be just a placebo effect

Last edited by vrprabhu : 18th November 2021 at 13:28. Reason: Added clarity
Old 18th November 2021, 15:16   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oft repeated question

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Guess repeating what has been already asked / discussed 'n' number of times. However, this query adds a finer touch
Dont use either for a petrol car - I assume an old f8d maruti or something of that vintage if you want a 15w40 petrol oil.

Try this one, or just try a good 5w40 synthetic, it won't hurt your car.

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-55003997...dp/B00QK6R55Q/
Old 18th November 2021, 16:31   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Getting 15w40 oil 3 litre for my petrol car is becoming a hassle. Either the correct grade for a petrol
Just get a good brand oil for your car and you should be fine.
There were no petrol og diesel oils before. There were only motor oils.

In my diesel car I sometimes fill «petrol» motor oil. I even mix oils when topping up. It is a Nato requirement that all motor oils be able to be mixed, even mineral and synthetic oils.

Going by the advice given in oil threads, my car should have stopped running years ago. The speedometer stands at 415,000 km now.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 18th November 2021 at 16:33.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 19:11   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Dont use either for a petrol car - I assume an old f8d maruti or something of that vintage if you want a 15w40 petrol oil
It is a Palio.

Did try Shell Helix 10wXX and Castrol Magnatec 10wXX some time back, but the experience was under-whelming. In fact, there was some oil leakage after switching to this grade. So reverted to 15w40.

As regards usage of this oils, I have already used the Valvoline and there have been no adverse effects since the last change (6 months+). Which is why I believe Indian2003 is not far off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Just get a good brand oil for your car and you should be fine.
Exactly my thoughts. But, the Valvoline has DIESEL and PETROL specifications, whereas the Eni has ONLY diesel spec.
Old 18th November 2021, 20:03   #2270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. But, the Valvoline has DIESEL and PETROL specifications, whereas the Eni has ONLY diesel spec.
If an oil is 100% diesel rated (only API C[something]) then don't use it in a petrol car. Many of the diesel oils also have an additional petrol certification (API S*) and therefore can be used in older cars.

Or the equivalent ACEA certifications - ACEA A* are petrol specs and B* are diesel, something like A3/B4 or A5/B5 mean it is both petrol and diesel rated.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 04:50   #2271
BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by smnrock View Post
For BS6 Endeavour, manual says 0w30, but local ford service center has 5w30 and they say it is fine to fill with 5w30 for BS6 model too.

Any suggestions?
5W is fine as long as your lowest (winter) ambients is above -26°C though its base oil quality is not as high.

However for a BS6 diesel engine the factory recommended oil specs of API CJ4 (or CK4) should prevail.

If factory specifies a CI4, I would ignore it.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 06:56   #2272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
5W is fine as long as your lowest (winter) ambients is above -26°C though its base oil quality is not as high.

However for a BS6 diesel engine the factory recommended oil specs of API CJ4 (or CK4) should prevail.

If factory specifies a CI4, I would ignore it.
But what the Endeavour manual says is -

Engine Oil - SAE 0W-30 WSS-M2C950-A

The 5w30 A5B5 rated Castrol is not a good idea for DPF equipped cars, don't fill it in the new BS6 Endeavour.

Checking this oil - the 0w30 Magnatec which meets the 950A specification - it says 0w30 ACEA C2.

Use this one for example, widely available at Shell retailers and Shell petrol pumps.

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-API-SN-P...dp/B084STBYJG/
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 08:03   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
It is a Palio.

Did try Shell Helix 10wXX and Castrol Magnatec 10wXX some time back, but the experience was under-whelming. In fact, there was some oil leakage after switching to this grade. So reverted to 15w40.
Valvoline or any other engine oils with SL/Sx meets the requirements for a petrol Palio engine but not the said ENI(?) .
Old 19th November 2021, 08:37   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
But what the Endeavour manual says is -

Engine Oil - SAE 0W-30 WSS-M2C950-A

The 5w30 A5B5 rated Castrol is not a good idea for DPF equipped cars, don't fill it in the new BS6 Endeavour.

Checking this oil - the 0w30 Magnatec which meets the 950A specification - it says 0w30 ACEA C2.

Use this one for example, widely available at Shell retailers and Shell petrol pumps.

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-API-SN-P...dp/B084STBYJG/
Oops, pardon my ignorance of (Ford) Endeabour's requirements of Ford WSS-950A oils whose specs is over and above that of 'ordinary/basic' ACEA C2 (or SNx).

Agree with you high SaPS oils like A5B5/A3Bx (or CI4 and prior) should not be used in applications calling for Mid SaPS WSS 950A (PCMO) oils.

Having said that mid SaPS oils like CJ4/CK4 (or ACEA E9) are not PCMO's but HDEO's which literally cannot meet WSS 950A PCMO requirements.

Thank you for pointing out the specific Ford requirements.

My hunch is no single mid SaPS 5W30 and not all C2 0W30 oils could meet or possess Ford WSS-955A approvals though.
Old 19th November 2021, 11:05   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valvoline or any other engine oils with SL/Sx meets the requirements for a petrol Palio engine but not the said ENI(?)
Correct. That was my doubt.

So, post by hserus is the pointer i.e. API C* rating which the ENI carries indicates it is meant ONLY for DIESEL...

Quote:
If an oil is 100% diesel rated (only API C[something]) then don't use it in a petrol car.

If the same oil is ALSO rated API S*, then it can be used BOTH in diesel as well as petrol.

Quote:
... diesel oils also have an additional petrol certification (API S*) and therefore can be used in older cars.
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2021, 22:57   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having said that mid SaPS oils like CJ4/CK4 (or ACEA E9) are not PCMO's but HDEO's which literally cannot meet WSS 950A PCMO requirements.

Thank you for pointing out the specific Ford requirements.

My hunch is no single mid SaPS 5W30 and not all C2 0W30 oils could meet or possess Ford WSS-955A approvals though.
The 0w30 magnatec if you can get it in the open market has a Ford builder approval for the 955a standard. Other than that seems to be a standard C2 oil to me.

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4E6B85CB70B3BF7E802585350047B6F6/$File/bpxe-bn2qmx.pdf
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2021, 01:12   #2277
BHPian

Quote:
There's an interesting 5w30 ACEA C3 oil that might be worth a look. Its HTHS viscosity (3.5) is at the upper end of the A5B5 spec (2.9-3.5) - might be a bit more suitable in hotter countries like India.

Fantastic oil, Castrol Edge 5w30 LL.

https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-Edge-5.../dp/B07TWCGNDR

Note - Maximile FEO is much the same spec for a fraction of the cost. (There are manuals for the XUV in Mahindra's European sites, that suggest an equivalent oil to FEO as Valvoline Synpower MST 5w30, which is a C3).
Hey Hserus, my recommended grade for Seltos Diesel is 0W20 C5.

Given that it's not easily available or is super expensive (fully synthetic), will the Castrol 5W 30 LL work instead?
Old 20th November 2021, 01:15   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey Hserus, my recommended grade for Seltos Diesel is 0W20 C5.

Given that it's not easily available or is super expensive (fully synthetic), will the Castrol 5W 30 LL work instead?
Unfortunately not. It’s a rare spec in the Indian market with just that Mobil 1 oil I showed you, so just use Kia oem oil for now.
Old 20th November 2021, 01:21   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately not. It’s a rare spec in the Indian market with just that Mobil 1 oil I showed you, so just use Kia oem oil for now.
Okay, will run with mineral for another 10k and hope cheaper options open up.

I checked with you for my 20k km service also and it was either the really expensive option, or none at all.

Just pissed at Kia for mandating this weird blend that seems rarer than Unicorn sweat.
Old 20th November 2021, 01:26   #2280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Okay, will run with mineral for another 10k and hope cheaper options open up.
Anything with 0w30 is likely a synthetic. How do you find the engine performance with this oil?

Wait - this one but never tried it before and not sure who they are.

MANNOL 7722 LONGLIFE 508/509 0W-20 SP(RC) C5 FULLY SYNTHETIC ENGINE OIL ADVANCED FUEL SAVING ENGINE OIL IMPORTED FROM GERMANY 1 LITRE https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0991JY67Y/...41CYXRHW2RGWHH

Last edited by hserus : 20th November 2021 at 01:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks