Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2021, 12:10   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi sagarpadaki, how has been your experience with Shell Rimula R4 15W40? I am taking my Scorpio for an oil change this weekend, and just for the heck of it thought of trying something different from the usual M&M Maximile FEO 15W40 oil that my FNG fills.
FEO is NOT 15w40. It is a 5w30 ACEA C3 or better.

To save me typing it all again, see how I found this out, in this post in the same thread some weeks back.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4772505 (All about diesel engine oils)

You can't do better than stick with Feo at this price range. Getting a good C3 5w30 will probably cost you above 3K a 3.5 litre can if you get the gold standard in this spec, Castrol Long Life.

(I have 3 cans of that sitting in my apartment waiting for the next oil change on my Endeavour, and regretting that I should have tried FEO instead, it works great with most BS4 CRDI engines)

Feo V2 that Mahindra sells for its KUV etc is a BS6 0w20.

Last edited by hserus : 1st December 2021 at 12:12.
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 12:23   #2312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
FEO is NOT 15w40. It is a 5w30 ACEA C3 or better......You can't do better than stick with Feo at this price range. Getting a good C3 5w30 will probably cost you above 3K a 3.5 litre can if you get the gold standard in this spec, Castrol Long Life.
Thanks, I was under the impression that it's a normal 15W40 CI spec oil, 'cause the specs are not written anywhere on the can. In that case, I won't fix what ain't broken, and continue with the same. As I have used this oil for the last 3 oil changes, I just hope prolonged use of a non-15W40 oil on my 11 year old Scorpio won't have any adverse effects on the engine (fingers crossed).

Btw, does 5w30 ACEA C3 mean it's a synthetic, or just a high quality mineral?
Old 1st December 2021, 12:45   #2313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi sagarpadaki, how has been your experience with Shell Rimula R4 15W40? I am taking my Scorpio for an oil change this weekend, and just for the heck of it thought of trying something different from the usual M&M Maximile FEO 15W40 oil that my FNG fills.
It's been excellent. The engine is pretty smooth and response is very good.

I was using Delvac 1 5W40 earlier when the running was around 15k kms/year. I can say that with Rimula R4, I get 80% of the smoothness and engine response as that of Delvac 1. This is purely butt feel . Anyway, the current running of i20 is less than 7k kms an year and I follow 1 year change interval. So, I am not utilizing the Rimula R4 to the fullest.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 12:50   #2314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, I was under the impression that it's a normal 15W40 CI spec oil, 'cause the specs are not written anywhere on the can. In that case, I won't fix what ain't broken, and continue with the same. As I have used this oil for the last 3 oil changes, I just hope prolonged use of a non-15W40 oil on my 11 year old Scorpio won't have any adverse effects on the engine (fingers crossed).

Btw, does 5w30 ACEA C3 mean it's a synthetic, or just a high quality mineral?
It’s a very good synthetic. Feo is what Mahindra recommends so rest assured there are no adverse effects on a Mahindra mhawk,
Tata dicor/ varicor or any other light crdi engine.
Old 1st December 2021, 16:21   #2315
BHPian

After a lot of circus, I'm atlast able to lay my hands on the hard to find 0w20 C5 diesel engine oil, yes the one for BS6 diesel engines of KIA & Hyundai cars, it's a Hyundai Shell Co-branded oil, semi-synthetic, 5L can costing 2025 per can, that's Rs.405 per litre.

My usual oil & car Spares shop in Bangalore was able to source 6 cans of 5L each, he was able to source through the main distributor for shell oils.

Brought one case (3 cans of 5L each), have kept aside one for T-bhpian Stribog who's picking it up this weekend

PM me if anyone needs it, shop has 3 cans left in stock, I'm based out of Malleswaram, Bangalore

Attaching the images of the same.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-img_20211201_115651.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-img_20211201_115643.jpg  

All about diesel engine oils-img_20211201_115630.jpg  

Old 2nd December 2021, 10:26   #2316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
It’s a very good synthetic. Feo is what Mahindra recommends so rest assured there are no adverse effects on a Mahindra mhawk,
Tata dicor/ varicor or any other light crdi engine.
Hi!

I am sticking with ~10,000 kms oil / filter change interval for my 2.2 M-Hawk S10 4WD. Is the Mahindra oil good for this duration or should I change the oil?

I am comfortable with the current schedule so will stick with it as I change air & A/C filter along with it. I am thinking to get the work done outside now, since my vehicle is out of warranty, but since I am neither fleeced & get a preferential treatment, I am having second thoughts.
Old 2nd December 2021, 11:08   #2317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!

I am sticking with ~10,000 kms oil / filter change interval for my 2.2 M-Hawk S10 4WD. Is the Mahindra oil good for this duration or should I change the oil?

I am comfortable with the current schedule so will stick with it as I change air & A/C filter along with it. I am thinking to get the work done outside now, since my vehicle is out of warranty, but since I am neither fleeced & get a preferential treatment, I am having second thoughts.
The air filter is good for 40k km, though I normally change at 25-30k. It is an oil impregnated foam filter, so lasts far longer than paper filters.

The Feo oil is good to 20k km, but that is if it is exclusively highway driven. For city and highway mixed use yeah change at 10k.
Old 3rd December 2021, 10:23   #2318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
What is the alternative in ACEA standard for API CH4 and above ?

My i20 diesel needs a API CH4 as mentioned in the user manual. Currently, I use Rimula R4 15W40 which is a API CI oil. Was wondering if there is an equivalent in ACEA for this. This is purely for my curiosity sake
CH4 is a high SaPS Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil HDEO.

Its direct equivalent ACEA sibling is ACEA E7 HDEO.

As @hserus suggestes, a Hyundai i20 diesel engine should be fine with Light Duty Diesel Engine Oil with an ACEA A3/B4 performance specs in real life.
Old 3rd December 2021, 11:31   #2319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
CH4 is a high SaPS Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil HDEO.

Its direct equivalent ACEA sibling is ACEA E7 HDEO.

As @hserus suggestes, a Hyundai i20 diesel engine should be fine with Light Duty Diesel Engine Oil with an ACEA A3/B4 performance specs in real life.
Any wear and tear issues in using a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine oil on a light diesel engine? The oil can has image of a truck.
Old 3rd December 2021, 16:46   #2320
BHPian

I have used Motul X-cess 8100 Fully Synthetic oil for my Linea, twice for the past 2.5 years. The oil change is overdue by 6 months this year (delayed because I haven't used the car much at all except for long drives of 3-400 kms totalling barely ~4000kms, all due to WFH).

Immediately ~2000kms after the oil change, I'd gotten the timing chain & water pump changed 20k kms before schedule on a friend's advice. Since the mechanic said the oil was ok to be used, they used the same oil.

The seller seems to have an 15% offer today, so wondered if I should change the oil with a different brand (Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-40 API SN Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil (3.5L) ) this time :
All about diesel engine oils-img20211203wa0000.jpg

All about diesel engine oils-img20211203wa0001.jpg

Can anyone suggest how it fares, as compares is is apparently regularly a usual Dzire segment car.
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:28   #2321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I have used Motul X-cess 8100 Fully Synthetic oil for my Linea, twice for the past 2.5 years. The oil change is overdue by 6 months this year (delayed because I haven't used the car much at all except for long drives of 3-400 kms totalling barely ~4000kms, all due to WFH).

Can anyone suggest how it fares, as compares is is apparently regularly a usual Dzire segment car.
Older type of oil but a very well formulated one. It won’t hurt your linea.
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:39   #2322
BHPian

Quote:
Any wear and tear issues in using a Heavy Duty Diesel Engine oil on a light diesel engine? The oil can has image of a truck.
In relation to a Light Duty diesel EO like a B4, a typical HDEO in ACEA E7 is generally thicker with higher HTHS High Temperature High Stress viscosity, hence thicker oil film thickness for components protection albeit at the expense of fuel economy if perceptible.

Does i20 diesel comes with a timing chain?

If yes, one may want to consider an E7 over a B4 especially if this i20 diesel operates as a taxi or being subjected to 'heavy' use if you know what I mean.

For timing belt design and 'softie' driving pattern, a B4 would be adequate in preventing excessive wear imho.
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:49   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I have used Motul X-cess 8100 Fully Synthetic oil for my Linea, twice for the past 2.5 years.

The seller seems to have an 15% offer today, so wondered if I should change the oil with a different brand (Mobil 1 FS X2 5W-40 API SN Advanced Full Synthetic Engine Oil (3.5L) ) this time :

Attachment 2240675
Price aside, Motul X-cess 8100 seems to have similar but slightly stronger OEM approvals than FS X2.

Specification wise, my vote goes to Motul.
zeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2021, 17:58   #2324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeng View Post
In relation to a Light Duty diesel EO like a B4, a typical HDEO in ACEA E7 is generally thicker with higher HTHS High Temperature High Stress viscosity, hence thicker oil film thickness for components protection albeit at the expense of fuel economy if perceptible.

Does i20 diesel comes with a timing chain?

If yes, one may want to consider an E7 over a B4 especially if this i20 diesel operates as a taxi or being subjected to 'heavy' use if you know what I mean.

For timing belt design and 'softie' driving pattern, a B4 would be adequate in preventing excessive wear imho.
Yes, i20 diesel comes with a timing chain.

I will continue using the Shell Rimula R4 which is a heavy duty API CI4+ rated mineral oil.
Old 3rd December 2021, 21:52   #2325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, i20 diesel comes with a timing chain.

I will continue using the Shell Rimula R4 which is a heavy duty API CI4+ rated mineral oil.
Just get amsoil 5w40 turbo truck synthetic which is ck4 rated. Or mobil delvac 1 5w40 which is synthetic ci4+ rated.

You just need one 3.5 litre can I guess, for an i20?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks