Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 09:18   #841
BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

For those in Chennai, Pavan of Privilege Motomall in Chennai mentioned that he can source Mobil Delvac 1 in 5 litre cans if needed.

On the topic of right oil for FIAT MJD engines, Got the oil changed at Ignite Garage and had a big discussion with Raghav on the topic who was recommending Shell Helix ultra as he mentioned that it is approved by Skoda for its diesels. I emailed him the below link which I got from Shell India website where it states that Shell Helix ultra as unsuitable for diesel and it recommends Shell Helix diesel ultra/ Shell helix ultra extra.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/p...tion_guide.pdf

He showed me the Shell distributer catalog which did not have the two products mentioned in the link. Unlike the shell website, helix ultra 5L can recommends the oil for diesel engines adding to the confusion.

I finally settled for Delvac MX at 10800 odd on the ODO for my Manza. Will change again at 15k and go back to TASS for 20k scheduled. The drained oil from the car seemed good enough for a few kms more.
Old 27th August 2011, 10:04   #842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar K View Post
I finally settled for Delvac MX at 10800 odd on the ODO for my Manza. Will change again at 15k and go back to TASS for 20k scheduled. The drained oil from the car seemed good enough for a few kms more.
It's a waste of good money if you're using Delvac MX and are planning to follow just a 5k kms oil change interval. It's one of the best mineral engine oils available, and can easily last for 15k kms. I would suggest you use 1 fill for at least 10k kms [like I do for my Scorpio], so that your next oil change is at an odo reading of 20k kms.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th August 2011, 10:42   #843
BHPian

Thanks Vikram, i was just going to say the same to Sridhar.

Just this morning i gave my DDiS for first service, Maruti guys are using servo 15W-40 API CF 4 and still they cliam to change the OIL not less than 10000Km.

We are talking about Mobil Delvac MX API CI4, this should easily last upto 12k to 14k Km. Changing this Oil at 5000km is such a waste of money!!!

Shell Helix Ultra HX6 which is 15w-40 API CH4 should also easily last 10k-12k Km's.

Even if anyone is extermely conservative, the oil change must happen between 9k to 11k KM.

We must think about the environment before wasting OIL and Ofcourse Vitamin M end of the day.
Old 27th August 2011, 12:35   #844
BHPian

@crazy4cars,

i didnt get ur point. whether it says oil for turbo diesel and direct injection turbo engines or not ? how does that matter ?
the thing i noticed was most oils claimed to be for IDI turbo charged diesel engines ?
new common rails are all di turbo charged. maybe shell wants to tap this market. Only tata continues to make the IDI turbo diesel engine. ( maybe GM tavera for bs3 )
My question is whether its a gimmick ?
Or whether a di oil has to be actually different formulation than idi engine oil.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:18   #845
BHPian

@comfortablynumb & crazy4.cars: It is great if Devlac MX can be used for 9k and thanks for the feedback. Then will do the next change at TASS during the 20K service or at 18k if needed earlier.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:27   #846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
@crazy4cars,

i didnt get ur point. whether it says oil for turbo diesel and direct injection turbo engines or not ? how does that matter ?
the thing i noticed was most oils claimed to be for IDI turbo charged diesel engines ?
new common rails are all di turbo charged. maybe shell wants to tap this market. Only tata continues to make the IDI turbo diesel engine. ( maybe GM tavera for bs3 )
My question is whether its a gimmick ?
Or whether a di oil has to be actually different formulation than idi engine oil.
Your right, Mordern Diesel cars are turbo charged Engines only a few cars still have the direct injection technology.

So shell is trying to say HX6 is suitable for turbo charged diesel engines and also direct injection engines. No Gimmick involved, its a very straight forward sentence behind their product.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:57   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
Your right, Mordern Diesel cars are turbo charged Engines only a few cars still have the direct injection technology.

So shell is trying to say HX6 is suitable for turbo charged diesel engines and also direct injection engines. No Gimmick involved, its a very straight forward sentence behind their product.
Hi,
the modern common rail diesel engines are direct injection turbo charged diesel engines fed by a high pressure common rail. They are direct injection and they are turbo charged .
I am saying something else and your are reading something else my friend.
All i am asking is - is the oil unsuitable for indirect injection turbo charged diesel engines ?http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
HIGHNOON is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 19:09   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
Hi,
the modern common rail diesel engines are direct injection turbo charged diesel engines fed by a high pressure common rail. They are direct injection and they are turbo charged .
I am saying something else and your are reading something else my friend.
All i am asking is - is the oil unsuitable for indirect injection turbo charged diesel engines ?http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Okay i'm using Shell Helix HX6 API CH4 on my DDiS. I have done 75km after this oil was put in my car this morning.

Initial observations are, engine has become very smooth, more silent and better performance than the original oil which came with the car from the MSIL plant.

I have used my friend's DDiS with Mobil Delvac MX for a long drive, i can say Mobil is 1 point ahead in performance, please see my opinion below.

Smooth Drive -(Shell HX6-9/10, Mobil Delvac MX- 9/10)
Engine noise reduced -(Shell 8/10 , Mobil Delvac 8/10)
Performance -(Shell 8/10 and and Mobil Delvac MX 9/10)
Crazy4.Cars is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2011, 06:34   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Smooth Drive -(Shell HX6-9/10, Mobil Delvac MX- 9/10)
Engine noise reduced -(Shell 8/10 , Mobil Delvac 8/10)
Performance -(Shell 8/10 and and Mobil Delvac MX 9/10)
I agree ^^^ - Shell is only better in marketing than Mobil 1 / Mobil Delvac Mx.

Last edited by headers : 28th August 2011 at 06:51.
Old 28th August 2011, 07:56   #850
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i'm aware of the Multi Level car park, thanks for the route details mate.

Any idea about the latest cost of Mobil delvac MX 15w-40?
Do i buy a 5 litre pack? My DDIS requires 3.1 litre of oil everytime, planning to replace oil filter and oil every 6000km, wondering how do i manage with this 5 litre pack, can i get 3 one litre packs and 1 500ml pack?

Cheers
Crazy4.Cars - I don't think Mobil Delvac 1 and Delvac MX comes in packaging less than 5 lts. I already checked with Mobil1 head for S India and he confirmed that 1 ltr Delvac 1 / Delvac MX isn't there

Hope it isn't too late

Cheers
Old 28th August 2011, 08:43   #851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars

I hunted more than 20 shops in bangalore west, no one has Mobil Delvac MX. Most of the shop owners called up the company distributor and assured to get the oil within 3 hours in the morning but the minimum packing available in bangalore is 5litres or 7.5 litres, 1 litre not there anywhere can anymore from bangalore confirm this please?
Were you able to find Mobil delvac mx?? If not tel me where you are put up.will guide you to the shop.send me a PM
Old 5th September 2011, 22:28   #852
Senior - BHPian

I inspected the Mahindra Maxi Mile 6 litre plastic jar (HDPE ) today. It is 100 % mineral oil made by IOL - Indian Oil Corporation, Servo, 15 W 40.

This is the engine oil being poured in service at the dealerships in Scorpio, 4x4 scorpio and Xylo.

The lable says its good for 20,000 KM - IT IS NOT good for 20,000 K - the maximum maximum limit is 10,000 KM and best is 6,000 KM.

If this is your oil from day 1 never switch to semi synthetic or fully synthetic engine oil - it will damage the engine. Mineral oil bloats the rubber seals in the engine and the engine becomes capable of running on mineral oil viscocity only. Use of synthetic oil which is less viscous will cause leaks in the seals resulting in engine damage.

I am telling you this from experience, a lot of Arab lads damaged their Nissan Patrols by chsnging from mineral oil ( Caltex or Eppco 20W50 or 15W40 ) to Mobile 1 and BP Visco 5000
Old 5th September 2011, 23:37   #853
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars
Any idea about the latest cost of Mobil delvac MX 15w-40?
Do i buy a 5 litre pack?
Buy a 5 liter pack & 1 liter pack. You get oil worth 2 refills. It's ok if you put 100 ml less (as long as you are above min mark on the dip stick
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 09:32   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I inspected the Mahindra Maxi Mile 6 litre plastic jar (HDPE ) today. It is 100 % mineral oil made by IOL - Indian Oil Corporation, Servo, 15 W 40. This is the engine oil being poured in service at the dealerships in Scorpio, 4x4 scorpio and Xylo.
There are 2 brands of MaxiMile Engine Oil [the differential and transmission oil used in Scorpio, Xylo & Bolero is also MaxiMile]- Crown and Supreme. Which one are you talking about here?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 6th September 2011, 10:03   #855
Senior - BHPian

Anywhere in Bangalore where you can buy Castrol GTX Diesel 15W40 for Safari OEM engine oil? I checked almost 10 shops and out of them them only one was having 5 liter old pack. There was no one liter pack.

Even, I checked at JC Road oil dealers they said we do not get stock of this oil.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks