Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 20:36   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

re: All about diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I want the interval to be 10,000 Km but it must be safe for the engine as well so I guess synthetic is better.

I've found these oils online , how are they ? They are both API-SN specified though . Can they be used on CRDi engines ?

1) Shell Helix HX7 10W-40

2) Shell Helix HX5 15W-40
Verna diesel requires API CH4 minimum.Shell HX7 does not meet the specs. AFAIK Indian oil has one mineral oil meeting the specs. Don't remember which one.

The other available is Shell HX5. This comes in three variants, one of them is the API CH4. Be careful you choose the right spec oil if you get the HX5.

Have read that HX5 is slightly better than Delvac Mx in terms of engine smoothness.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 20:38   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Synthetic is better. No doubt. I tried mineral oil two times consecutively for 10K kms each but didn't like the feel.

Till 5K kms it was smooth and good but later on it felt rough. Hence changed to synthetic and kept using it thereon.

Some guys here on earlier posts did recommend Mobil Delvac MX with an interval of 10,000 Km. Also since it satisfies Hyundai's specification of 15W 40 and CH4 grading I don't think there should be any problem with the engine. Also I would probably just change it around 9,000 Km anyways , seeing the huge price difference between this and the Devlac 1 , I'm more inclined towards the MX.

So let me see what I can find locally between these 2. Another disadvantage is the Delvac 1 only comes in 5 Liter packs but with MX you also get a 1 Liter pack.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 7th September 2015 at 20:52.
Old 7th September 2015, 20:47   #1503
BANNED

Quote:
and guys there do recommend Mobil Delvac MX with an interval of 10,000 Km. Also since it satisfies Hyundai's specification of 15W 40 and CH4 grading I don't think there should be any problem with the engine. Also I would probably just change it around 9,000 Km anyways.
It is recommended, no doubt but I commented that the engine becomes rough and sounds harsh once the odometer crosses 5000 kms from the oil change.

Do try the oil till 10,000 kms and do post an update when possible.
Old 7th September 2015, 21:07   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Do try the oil till 10,000 kms and do post an update when possible.
If I do purchase I will post an update on it. What I'm surprised about is the oil that my A.S.S put , it's still smooth and started feeling just rough around 9,500 Km. So I guess the oils roughness surely depends on the driving usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

The other available is Shell HX5. This comes in three variants, one of them is the API CH4. Be careful you choose the right spec oil if you get the HX5.

Have read that HX5 is slightly better than Delvac Mx in terms of engine smoothness.
Thanks for highlighting the different variants under the same HX 5 name. Will be careful with it now.
Old 8th September 2015, 09:33   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some guys here on earlier posts did recommend Mobil Delvac MX with an interval of 10,000 Km. Also since it satisfies Hyundai's specification of 15W 40 and CH4 grading I don't think there should be any problem with the engine. Also I would probably just change it around 9,000 Km anyways , seeing the huge price difference between this and the Devlac 1 , I'm more inclined towards the MX.

So let me see what I can find locally between these 2. Another disadvantage is the Delvac 1 only comes in 5 Liter packs but with MX you also get a 1 Liter pack.
You can procure 1 litre packs of Delvac 1 online from 99rpm.com.
Delvac 1 Vs Mx
I have used both extensively on my swift DI. Delvac1 wins by all means.I maintain a drain interval of 10k.I have found the performance consistent throughout. MX is also good and well within budget.
Attached Thumbnails
All about diesel engine oils-delvac-1.jpg  

Last edited by rakesh_r : 8th September 2015 at 09:36.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2015, 09:53   #1506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I do purchase I will post an update on it. What I'm surprised about is the oil that my A.S.S put , it's still smooth and started feeling just rough around 9,500 Km. So I guess the oils roughness surely depends on the driving usage..
Despite what the stalwarts here say, I still maintain that you can easily keep a drain interval of 10k kms with a good mineral oil like Delvac MX.

I base this statement after having used it thrice in my Scorpio. At least I never felt any perceptible change for the worse after 5k kms post the oil changes. My typical usage is 40% bumper to bumper traffic, 60% mostly smooth flowing city + bypass traffic.

Currently, I am using this oil, which is as good as Delvac MX: http://www.gscaltexindia.com/product_detail.aspx?PID=20

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th September 2015, 14:12   #1507
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Despite what the stalwarts here say, I still maintain that you can easily keep a drain interval of 10k kms with a good mineral oil like Delvac MX.

I base this statement after having used it thrice in my Scorpio. At least I never felt any perceptible change for the worse after 5k kms post the oil changes. My typical usage is 40% bumper to bumper traffic, 60% mostly smooth flowing city + bypass traffic.

Currently, I am using this oil, which is as good as Delvac MX: http://www.gscaltexindia.com/product_detail.aspx?PID=20

Cheers,
Vikram

There are many variables which determine the duration of the run during which the engine oil will maintain its properties and it varies from engine to engine and also the running conditions. In bumper to bumper traffic the MX loses its smoothness after 5K kms.And my running has 20 kms of bumper traffic daily. Maybe the oil lasts longer in the MHawk engine. But in Hyundai diesels, there is a perceivable decrease in the engine smoothness after 5K kms. The max i have used MX is for 7K at which point the engine note was pretty crude.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 8th September 2015 at 14:14.
Old 9th September 2015, 20:48   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Ok bad news. I could not find any Mobile Delvac 1 nor Delvac MX oils in my area. I guess I now need to search in Nagercoil and Trivandrum areas. Anyone who knows a shop selling Mobil oils in these areas , kindly let me know.

OT : Interestingly I feel it is much cheaper to just service my Fluidic Verna at my dealership itself. I enquired about the OEM Hyundai Air filter and oil filter at a 3rd party vendor and both were expensive by 100 Rs each. They seem to have just hidden the MRP with a sticker and wrote the new price with a marker. I enquired with the shop owner about this and he said margins are very thin as Hyundai does not sell it over the counter and hence they need to do this to get some profit at least.

With the lack of oil and expensive spare parts , I'm planning to ditch the Diy job .
Old 10th September 2015, 21:22   #1509
Senior - BHPian

Silly me . All products are available online at 99rpm at slightly affordable prices. So I will search once more locally and if I don't find it I will be buying everything from 99rpm.

OT: Can anyone tell me what other non-OEM filters fit in Fluidic Verna CRDi and that can be purchased online.
Old 21st September 2015, 19:57   #1510
BHPian

Got my Figo D serviced yesterday with Mobil Delvac 1. The company recommended quantity is 3.8 liters but the mechanic at my FNG poured all the 4 liters in the engine. Will the extra 200 ml be a cause of worry or should I continue with the excess oil in the sump?
Before the engine oil change I checked the level of the oil and found it to be normal with hardly any consumption.
Gurus please advice.
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:00   #1511
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto_enthusiast View Post
Got my Figo D serviced yesterday with Mobil Delvac 1. The company recommended quantity is 3.8 liters but the mechanic at my FNG poured all the 4 liters in the engine. Will the extra 200 ml be a cause of worry or should I continue with the excess oil in the sump?
Before the engine oil change I checked the level of the oil and found it to be normal with hardly any consumption.
Gurus please advice.
Check the level on the dip stick after parking the car on a flat surface for a couple of hours. If the oil level shows more than half a centimeter above the MAX level then you should drain the excess. If not , no issues.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2015, 17:06   #1512
Senior - BHPian

Guys unfortunately supply of Mobil oils is very erratic and 99rpm say that currently they can't source the Delvac 1 and can't give me a proper timeframe to get it.

I really need to service my car as I have the crap servo oil inside. I have 2 options now.

1) go for shell Rimula r3x oil but the shop is 45 Kms away from my house.

2) buy Mak Platinum API-CI 4 mineral oil which is nearby. How is this oil as I'm more inclined to buy due to its easy availability and rating.
Old 27th September 2015, 00:07   #1513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Guys unfortunately supply of Mobil oils is very erratic and 99rpm say that currently they can't source the Delvac 1 and can't give me a proper timeframe to get it.

I really need to service my car as I have the crap servo oil inside. I have 2 options now.

1) go for shell Rimula r3x oil but the shop is 45 Kms away from my house.

2) buy Mak Platinum API-CI 4 mineral oil which is nearby. How is this oil as I'm more inclined to buy due to its easy availability and rating.
Even delvac mx is not available?

If so go for the mak platinum.
Old 28th September 2015, 12:16   #1514
BHPian

Oil Change Update on my Xylo:

since the last 3-4 times, I have been using Delvac MX (15w40 CI4), and replaced at 7-8K KM, overall happy with it.
Just before leaving for Spiti trip in May'15, I had replaced the oil, and on return (after running ~6K KM), when I again changed the oil, the earlier was very dirty - maybe because of this specific drive conditions.

Now my vehicle ODO is 132K KM, and already done 7K KM since the last oil change. I had come to Vadodara, and the Mobil distributor seems to have closed or changed his shop. I did find another dealer quoting Rs.310/ltr for Delvac MX, but delivery on next day. I went to another shop, and this time got Shell Rimula R4 (15w40 CI4+), 7.5Ltrs can at Rs.2490 (ofcourse less than printed mrp), which comes to Rs.332/ltr, slightly more than I usually paid for MX. Also got the oil filter at Rs.160.

(I did saw the R3x, but grade was lower I think just CH4 and was slightly cheaper than R4).

All about diesel engine oils-20150926_121646_img.jpg
All about diesel engine oils-20150926_121705_img.jpg

During the oil change activity, this time I wanted to try a different process. I tried to source some low cost oil, with minimum 15w40 CH4, and eventually purchased 2 ltr Shell HX5 (15w40 CH4) at Rs.290/ltr. (i.e. Rs.580 cost will go in drain, read below!).

All about diesel engine oils-20150926_121944_img.jpg

With all the material, went to local garage, which I had been upon returning from Spiti. (Flush) Process: entirely drained the existing oil (was quite dirty), leave the oil filter. Now added the 2 ltr HX5 and about 0.5 ltr MX I had in spare. Keep engine running on idle for 5 min, with 3-4 times raised to 1300-1400 RPM. Now, the oil was drained, and surprisingly the new 'flushing' oil was pitch black (dirty) just within few min!
Is this normal ?
Is this OK process ?

Now finally, the R4 (7 ltrs added, 0.5 kept in spare) and new oil filter was replaced, and vehicle was given a full wash. I will comment on R4 after few days.

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 28th September 2015 at 12:23. Reason: wrote about R3x
Old 29th September 2015, 00:12   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Even delvac mx is not available?

If so go for the mak platinum.
Yeah even MX was not available. I'm planning for a trip to Trivandrum withing few days and will search one last time for Mobil or Shell Oils with API - CH4 or CI4 grades. If I don't find I will go for the Mak Platinum itself.

How much drain interval should I follow with the Mak Platinum , 5000 or 10,000 ? I remember seeing something mentioned like 1 Lakh Km drain interval for trucks on the packaging. Definitely not going to try above 10K for sure.

Last edited by stanjohn123 : 29th September 2015 at 00:13. Reason: Spelling mistake

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks