Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 07:58   #46
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Guys I need a help, I have started my search for E220, What all things I should check (something like PDI checklist?), and what would be the appripriate price? Please help.
A few things to look for:

Has the AC been serviced and what parts replaced. AC relay is a common problem.
Suspension for creaks and groans-can get expensive, check bushings.
Engine and trans - listen for valve chatter. The manual trans is super smooth, so if it feels sticky or hard to shift that's a trouble sign.
Body parts - can get expensive. To replace the outside mirror glass is 6000!

If the car has good records, it's a lot better for you. My car has a detailed service history, so it was easy to do maintenance on small things.

Find a good independent mech. The dealer will rip you off!

Hope this helps.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:30   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Its good to see lot of personal experiences shared in this thread which will help other owners.

Well i'm on the lookout for a W124 - E220. If you guys come across a good E220 in Bangalore, send me a PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
i am tempted to buy a e250 d auto trans,had a drive in one last week,i thought it would be sluggish but it did surprise me,was nice & torquey even with the auto trans,had leather interiors,what do you think should i pay for it??also what should i look for??
Hi Guys,

So, did you manage to get your hands on a W124 in Bangalore. I am too looking out for a used W124 E220 in Bangalore. If you happen to find one, please let me know as well
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:01   #48
BHPian

Re: 60's Mercedes in India?

@wilkie366, can you please give us details of the workshop in Bangalore where you got your 220S Merc restored. I need to know a reliable place in Bangalore to service used W124 E220 which I am planning to buy shortly.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:45   #49
BHPian

Stalling

I'm posting this in the event that it could help somebody. The E220 had an intermittent stalling problem. Car would suddenly just cut out for no reason. Ran the scan, and got no error codes. Finally after researching on the Internet, came up with some DIY tests. Turned out it was the OVP relay that was bad. Actually had something loose knocking around inside. Also, another potential was the fuel pump relay, so as a precaution, replaced that as well. The OVP is not cheap - over Rs 8000. So, if you come across one, I would keep it as a spare. Fuel pump relay is the same part as the aux fan relay, so in an emergency, you can always pull that one and get fuel to the engine.

The car runs great now, and it has a smoother idle. Also the mpg went up, so not sure if there is a relationship, but since the OVP connects to a bunch of stuff including the ECU it's possible. Drove the car 300 km last week and she ran beautifully.

My mechanic also recommends keeping a AC relay as a spare.

Hope this helps someone sort out a stalling issue.

Regards

Benz220
benz220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:05   #50
BHPian

I got the first taste of the w124 back in 2009.A silver E220 which i sold for a profit after keeping in the garage for 4 months.I was afraid something may go wrong if i use it regularly.After i parted with it i felt miserable.After almost an year long search my second E220 is home.I feel kinda relieved,like a long lost friend just came home..
Old 27th January 2012, 01:42   #51
BHPian

A quick question - can somebody please recommend an FNG around south delhi which specializes in Mercedes Benz cars? Any pointers would be helpful. I just got my first ever W124 - an immaculate '96 E220. No problems yet (touchwood), but would love to show it to someone who understands these beauties, and take precautionary measures just in case. Thanks!
Old 27th January 2012, 11:30   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
A quick question - can somebody please recommend an FNG around south delhi which specializes in Mercedes Benz cars? Any pointers would be helpful. I just got my first ever W124 - an immaculate '96 E220. No problems yet (touchwood), but would love to show it to someone who understands these beauties, and take precautionary measures just in case. Thanks!
Pls get in touch with Viraat13. He too has 96/97 W124 and he stays in Delhi. You can PM him.
Had you been in Bangalore, I would had helped you with contact here.
floyd.bell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 00:52   #53
BHPian

Thanks. I'll definitely get in touch. Apart from the service guy, I'm now more excited to meet someone in Delhi who has a W124. Even though I have one now, I still love to admire as many examples as I can see!
Old 26th February 2012, 21:19   #54
BHPian

I have a 300D import and a 96 E250 both have been trouble free. The 300D has clocked a genuine 2,27,000kms and the E250 a genuine 85,000km. Both have been trouble free. In the 300D the suspension has been completely overhauled along with the differential all work has been done with original DB parts. As far as the E250 goes the shocks, the tie rod end, engine mounts, the A/C cooling coil and the water pump shocks have been replaced along with regular oil service which is done once a year since we dont drive it much.
I have a 63 W110 fintail also.
I am on the search for a w123 or a w201 please let me know if any good piece is available
If anybody needs help on w124's please feel free to contact me. I am more than happy to help
vikramv007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 22:07   #55
BHPian

W220 would be available with prices starting from 1.5 to 3 lacs.

There are plenty available. Look in the auto classifieds for a single owner car with a service record preferably. Then account for an additional 1 lac to bring the car to ship shape

Then an average of 50k a year to keep it that way

I have had a 250d for 5 years now . Its the best car in the world....

If you are looking for cars in mumbai, I could go along to do the inspection with you....

Good luck

Quote:
Guys I need a help, I have started my search for E220, What all things I should check (something like PDI checklist?), and what would be the appripriate price? Please help.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 26th February 2012 at 23:22. Reason: fixed quote tags. :)
53BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2012, 23:05   #56
BHPian

Quote:
There is a wonderful E220 W124 TN registered with genuine 36K on the ODO and with Mercedes Benz India service history. If interested PM me.
vikramv007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 00:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53BHP View Post
W220 would be available with prices starting from 1.5 to 3 lacs.
Did you mean E220 (W124)? I don't think you can grab a W220 for as little as 1.5 to 3 lacs
Old 27th February 2012, 09:10   #58
BHPian

sorry my bad. e220 not w220

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Did you mean E220 (W124)? I don't think you can grab a W220 for as little as 1.5 to 3 lacs
Old 27th March 2012, 00:50   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
I'm here to help. No idea how I missed this thread, I thought the thread with the W124 poll was the one where the general discussions go down.. Doh!

I have different guys for different things. Electrician, mechanic, upholstery, dry denting, tyre guy, alignment guy, AC guy and well, you get the picture?
I even have a different guy for fixing the star! Not needed his services too often thankfully (*knocks on wood*).

Have a look at this post if you need some info about the kind of prices I pay.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2162760

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd.bell View Post
Pls get in touch with Viraat13. He too has 96/97 W124 and he stays in Delhi. You can PM him.
Had you been in Bangalore, I would had helped you with contact here.
I didn't realise I've gained a reputation as the W124 guy for Delhi. It's quite an honour. Thanks!

Also, I would like some advice — Some unfriendly neighbour has been constantly messing with my car. So I have decided to get an alarm system. I don't want one with the remote and stuff, just an alarm to scare him off/call me downstairs (fully armed!). I would really like it if it is possible to get a system that connects with the horn and the headlamps as I feel those are dignified alarms unlike the screaming banshee variety which I think won't suit a Mercedes (No offence to anyone, just my opinion. And besides, if the horn link up isn't possible, even I'll go the screaming banshee way..!).

Cheers team.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 27th March 2012 at 00:54. Reason: Editing.
Old 27th March 2012, 01:31   #60
BHPian

Hey! Nice to see the w124 guy here after hearing so much

I'm glad to see someone who has true knowledge and experience and is based in Delhi! Owning this car is a little taxing on my heart (It skips a beat every time I see a niggle - not that there are many though)!

One little thing bothering me - I've had this car for about 4-5 months now, and all through winter and the pre - summer months, in traffic, and occasionally with A/C too, the temperature gauge would start off at 40 at ignition, go upto 80 in a while, and comfortably sit there. The car was smooth and refined to drive - always.

A few days ago, though, on a particularly hot day, I left the AC on for about half hour in the hot Sun. Don't worry, the engine was running throughout. After this the car felt a little less refined and sluggish, and I saw the temperature go up beyond a hundred - almost to the 120 mark, but below the red zone. This worried me a lot, and does till date. Now, when I drive it in the heat (and it's still not proper summer yet) with the AC on continuously, the temperature remains between the 80 and 100 mark. Is this normal? The car is okay to drive though. Sometimes if there's too much traffic it goes near the 100, but not as bad as the first day.

Also, since that very day, I occasionally hear a disturbing noise (like a damaged bush or arm joint) from the front right when turning the wheel lock to lock, or on bad surfaces. It's not consistent, but it's there from time to time.

Need to worry much?

Also (and sorry for all the long questions) - where in Delhi do you stay / work? Maybe I could PM you? I'd love to see your car, and maybe you could help me understand mine better! I'm still new at this

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks