Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 17:37   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Check the fuse holder; they tend to go bad; rub the fuse with a sandpaper and the terminal that it sits

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere in the fuse box or fuse terminal
This is a sign of loose connection, and fuse holders are the usual suspects.
Old 19th November 2012, 00:10   #152
BHPian

Well, I checked, and it isn't the fuse issue at all. Silly me. I was taking out and replacing the fuse, then checking to see if the windows worked. They did. Then I'd drive off and see that they wouldn't work anymore, so figured it must be the fuse.

The reality is a LOT more curious. It seems every time I checked after pulling out the fuse, the driver door was open. And the windows would work. When I closed the door, they'd stop working. I only troubleshooted this yesterday.

What has me stumped is, what could the windows have to do with the front door? If the door is open, they work. If not, they don't. So much for German ingenuity!

Also, I just realized it doesn't stop at that. The combi switch for the lights / wiper is acting funny. The windshield wipers / wash don't work at all. The pass flick (for high beam - when you pull it towards you) doesn't work, but if you switch to proper high beam mode (push it away), it works. The lights / indicators work fine.

Fuses are not at play here. A faulty relay? The relation between all this is flabbergasting!!!

I didn't find the time to go get it shown... sigh. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 19th November 2012, 02:30   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
So much for German ingenuity!
Electrical gremlins are quite common in this car. On the bright side, they're gone once you sort them out the right way.

Out of curiosity, has the wiring harness ever been replaced?
Old 19th November 2012, 10:18   #154
BHPian

Quote:
The reality is a LOT more curious. It seems every time I checked after pulling out the fuse, the driver door was open. And the windows would work. When I closed the door, they'd stop working. I only troubleshooted this yesterday.

What has me stumped is, what could the windows have to do with the front door? If the door is open, they work. If not, they don't. So much for German ingenuity!

Also, I just realized it doesn't stop at that. The combi switch for the lights / wiper is acting funny. The windshield wipers / wash don't work at all. The pass flick (for high beam - when you pull it towards you) doesn't work, but if you switch to proper high beam mode (push it away), it works. The lights / indicators work fine.

Fuses are not at play here. A faulty relay? The relation between all this is flabbergasting!!!

Just a related small thing : If you open one of the front doors, windows will operate even if there is no key in ignition. Its a standard system in the w124.
Old 19th November 2012, 16:10   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Well, I checked, and it isn't the fuse issue at all. Silly me. I was taking out and replacing the fuse, then checking to see if the windows worked. They did. Then I'd drive off and see that they wouldn't work anymore, so figured it must be the fuse.

Did you car ever had a wiring issue with the interior light that goes on/off with the door opening??

The reason i am asking is that it sounds like some one has tinkered with your wiring; unless the wires are itself getting cooroded and acting up; check the wires coming out from the door

As far as the combi switch issue [The stalk that controls wiper, high low], i donot think that is related to your power windows; it is a local issue;
Old 19th November 2012, 16:54   #156
Senior - BHPian

Same thing happened in my Esteem.

The culprit - wiring harness got chafed and every time the door was open the wires would be normal, once the door is closed the wires opened. The solution was to trace the wires and patch them up.
Old 19th November 2012, 18:04   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Out of curiosity, has the wiring harness ever been replaced?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The culprit - wiring harness got chafed and every time the door was open the wires would be normal, once the door is closed the wires opened. The solution was to trace the wires and patch them up.
I was told the wiring harness was replaced a couple of years back. Since this was my uncle's car, and he lives out of the city, I remember my dad handling the bill and getting surprised over the whopping cost from Patel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Just a related small thing : If you open one of the front doors, windows will operate even if there is no key in ignition. Its a standard system in the w124.
Hmm.. interesting. Maybe this is the culprit - even though the key is in the ignition, the car might not be detecting that properly for the purpose of the windows / wipers, and they behave as per the key isn't there. It's a plausible explanation, even though the rest of the electricals work fine as per there is a key inserted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Did you car ever had a wiring issue with the interior light that goes on/off with the door opening??
No... never faced such an issue. In fact the interior lights toggle on/off with the door perfectly even now!
Old 24th November 2012, 22:19   #158
BHPian

I got correct opinions on the forum, as always

It was the fuse box at play. Got it opened and cleaned up, the wiring below it was loose. All contact points were cleaned and reset, and all new fuses put in. Voila! Everything works like new.

Thanks everyone!
Old 26th November 2012, 16:58   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got correct opinions on the forum, as always

It was the fuse box at play. Got it opened and cleaned up, the wiring below it was loose. All contact points were cleaned and reset, and all new fuses put in. Voila! Everything works like new.

Thanks everyone!
Reminds me of what happened to my Esteem.

. Bought a new battery.
. After three months the car would not start.
. Exchanged it with my K10 battery.
. Started perfectly.
. Took the car to the battery dealer.
. Car started perfectly with the old battery.
. Tried once or twice and then it would not start.

After a lot of trouble shooting the culprit found- cable to terminal was loose. Moral of the story, in case of electrical gremlins, check both the contacts as well as the wires going into any connector.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:59   #160
BHPian

Hey everyone!

Now that Diwali is more than over, and we all should have some more time (hopefully), how about that mini 124 delhi meet? I was thinking this Sunday, somewhere in south delhi.

So who's in? As per my previous count, we know at least 5-6 124 owners in the area, and anyone else interested is welcome to join!

Let me know. Eagerly waiting for your replies / PMs!

Ayush
Old 6th December 2012, 15:50   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Now that Diwali is more than over, and we all should have some more time (hopefully), how about that mini 124 delhi meet? I was thinking this Sunday, somewhere in south delhi.

So who's in? As per my previous count, we know at least 5-6 124 owners in the area, and anyone else interested is welcome to join!

Let me know. Eagerly waiting for your replies / PMs!

Ayush
I am in for this sunday.....
Old 6th December 2012, 16:01   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911varun View Post
I am in for this sunday.....
Perfect! Let's see who else is in.

In the meantime, can we come up with a venue? I'm wondering if driving down the Shooting Range road (which goes to Surajkund) might be too far for everyone. The value add is the great, winding road, and many photo opportunities for the cars.

Any similar suggestions? What we're looking for are (Please add to it if I'm missing something)
- A nice open road for the driving experience
- Preferably within town limits (My car is under registration/transfer. I have a receipt of transfer which means it is absolutely legal to drive it, but just in case...)
- A photo location
- A food pit stop, of course!
- I don't see us drinking / partying on a sunday afternoon (unless that's just my opinion), especially since the idea is to enjoy driving, and drive back safely!

Another option could be the IHC on Lodhi Road?
Old 14th December 2012, 10:36   #163
BHPian

Hi Ayush,
it was indeed nice meeting up with you,i am back in town now for sometime and would love to take out the car for a drive,lets catch up soon.Any day would suit me.

Renegage
Old 16th December 2012, 06:11   #164
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-need tyre recommendations

Hi Guys

I need to replace the tyres on my W124 E220. Currently they are Michelin Primacy, in the stock size.

Do you have any recommendations on other tyres that have worked well for you? Is it advisable to go up one size in width? Has anyone done this, and if so any results to report?

Car is located in Pune.

Thanks in advance.
Old 16th December 2012, 11:07   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220
Hi Guys

I need to replace the tyres on my W124 E220. Currently they are Michelin Primacy, in the stock size.

Do you have any recommendations on other tyres that have worked well for you? Is it advisable to go up one size in width? Has anyone done this, and if so any results to report?

Car is located in Pune.

Thanks in advance.
The tyre shop is suggesting 225/65/15.....anyone tried going this wide?

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks