Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2012, 12:08   #91
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Well, I finally got the battery. It was DIN 74 after all - paid 7.5k for an AMARON PRO battery after discounting my used one. Thanks everyone
Old 13th June 2012, 19:02   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Go to an independent mech, and have him scan the codes. It will save you a lot of tral and error.
Got it checked; and the idle issue is gone after a routine service and changing of some vaccum pipes and throttle body cleaning.. the car is now back to its smoothness..

Thanks guys for all the help !!!
Old 14th June 2012, 16:48   #93
BHPian

Hey

This post is a little OT, and not directly connected to the W124 - I still thought it makes sense here, as it's sure to get the Mercedes enthusiasts interested!

I was in Palika Bhawan recently, getting some minor stuff done on my car, when I saw this beauty - looks like an SL (It had no badging at the rear so I don't know the spec) - it's definitely between 99 to 2002 or close. What saddened me was its state of neglect. I was a little caught up on time, and couldn't try and find out who the owner is / why it has been abandoned, if so . Next time I'm there I'll surely find out.

Can somebody help me identify the exact spec? Also, if it's up for sale (I'll find out as soon as I can) - can somebody rescue it please? I would so love to, but I can't manage two old mercedes cars in my garage. That said, my family would kill me - a W124 is enough to take care of. I wish.... but let's not dream. Maybe someday :(

---

On a similar note, there is a 1996 W124 E220, silver, in pretty good shape (just neglected - a little dusty, no hood ornament, mirrors etc.), but looks like it's in perfectly usable condition. I pass it every day on my way to work, and my heart cries out to her. Someone looking for a W124, please contact me - I have no idea who the owner is, but it's parked in front of a house very close to mine, and I would love to go meet the owner and discuss a possible sale. I just hate to see that car lying there every day!
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-sl.jpg  

Old 15th June 2012, 12:58   #94
BHPian

[quote=ayushagarwal26;2808974]Hey

This post is a little OT, and not directly connected to the W124 - I still thought it makes sense here, as it's sure to get the Mercedes enthusiasts interested!

I was in Palika Bhawan recently, getting some minor stuff done on my car, when I saw this beauty - looks like an SL (It had no badging at the rear so I don't know the spec) - it's definitely between 99 to 2002 or close. What saddened me was its state of neglect. I was a little caught up on time, and couldn't try and find out who the owner is / why it has been abandoned, if so . Next time I'm there I'll surely find out.

Can somebody help me identify the exact spec? Also, if it's up for sale (I'll find out as soon as I can) - can somebody rescue it please? I would so love to, but I can't manage two old mercedes cars in my garage. That said, my family would kill me - a W124 is enough to take care of. I wish.... but let's not dream. Maybe someday :([quote]

its a 320SL 1993, i had the same thoughts as you did but its not for sale and is waiting to get repaired..... I found this out around 3 months back

cheers!!
Old 15th June 2012, 14:23   #95
BHPian

Thanks for letting me know! There's a broken dream (not that I think I would've gone and bought it anyway.... one car is enough of a bold decision for now!)
Old 28th June 2012, 09:42   #96
BHPian

Things to keep in mind when buying a used E250D W124?

After reading a number of threads on the W124, I am planning to check some of the W124 cars available in Bangalore, to see if it is right for me and my family of four .

I would appreciate any pointers on how to go about it and what to look for/keep in mind etc. Any help from W124 E250D owners in Bangalore would be really welcome

Some of the questions I have now are:-

1) Which are some of the best sources to go to unearth available W124 cars? Currently found a few candidates at CarWale, CarDekho and OLX.in
2) I am planning to go for a 1996 manual model. It is still a W124 but the youngest possible. Are there any issues with this model?
3) Are there any differences between an imported model and an Indian made model? If so, what are they? Which is preferable?
4) Which are some of the good independent workshops I can take prospective cars to for a check-up? I have heard good things about Car Mechs in Koramangala/HSR Layout. How are they? Are there any others closer to Southern Bangalore (Electronic City)?
5) Is there a checklist to do an inspection of a W124 which I can do before taking it to the mechanic? What are some of the most common failures seen in these cars and what can I do to check if they have occured or not?
6) I am planning to use this car as a highway mile muncher. Will they be reliable on the highway - speeds upto 140kph? After the initial make-over/tune-up, I don't want to keep running to the workshop every week/month because something stopped working. Is this a reasonable expectation?
7) How much should I plan to spend to bring it up to excellent condition? Would 3-4 lakhs be adequate?
8) What kind of price is reasonable for a used 1996 Mercedes Benz E 250D W124 in Bangalore? What should be the upper limit for a perfect specimen?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. I am so thankful we have a resource like team-bhp to go to for in-depth knowledge of just about anything automotive!

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 28th June 2012 at 09:53. Reason: Smiley, few more questions
Old 28th June 2012, 17:53   #97
BHPian

Re: Things to keep in mind when buying a used E250D W124?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post

1) Which are some of the best sources to go to unearth available W124 cars? Currently found a few candidates at CarWale, CarDekho and OLX.in

Well all are; also keep a eye out on local dealers; I had to hunt for a nearly a year to get a car which I liked; maybe I had a tall order and empty purse

Quote:
2) I am planning to go for a 1996 manual model. It is still a W124 but the youngest possible. Are there any issues with this model?

1996: Not sure if they were TELCO; mine in 1997; No issues in my knowledge

Quote:
3) Are there any differences between an imported model and an Indian made model? If so, what are they? Which is preferable?

Imported Models no difference; but most of the imported model I have seen are pre face lift and I don’t like them; and some have manual windows; You may get many more options than theE220/ E250 but I sterred away from them as I want something whose spares are not a issue; Also most of the imported model I have a seen is pre 1995 and not in a great shape

Quote:
4) Which are some of the good independent workshops I can take prospective cars to for a check-up? I have heard good things about Car Mechs in Koramangala/HSR Layout. How are they? Are there any others closer to Southern Bangalore (Electronic City)?
No clue for your part of the country; however you better be a DIY.. helps a long way

Quote:
5) Is there a checklist to do an inspection of a W124 which I can do before taking it to the mechanic? What are some of the most common failures seen in these cars and what can I do to check if they have occured or not?
Google is full of resources on what to check; however in my opinion do give the interiors a good check; very few examples with pristine interiors [all the trim should be firm; no broken tabs] All these are expensive and PIA to fix;

Personally i got it re-painted; so it is good now all over; barring few clips the painter broke while putting everything back together; in way good as me got something to do on the weekend

Quote:
6) I am planning to use this car as a highway mile muncher. Will they be reliable on the highway - speeds upto 140kph? After the initial make-over/tune-up, I don't want to keep running to the workshop every week/month because something stopped working. Is this a reasonable expectation?
I use my E220 twice a week between Mum-Pune; no issues whatsoever; and I do 160 odd peacefully

Quote:
7) How much should I plan to spend to bring it up to excellent condition? Would 3-4 lakhs be adequate?
Start with a good base; No mechanical or suspension issues; then most of your restoration would be consumbales and paint & trim.. well that has no limit depends on your pocket

Quote:
8) What kind of price is reasonable for a used 1996 Mercedes Benz E 250D W124 in Bangalore? What should be the upper limit for a perfect specimen?
I picked up two E220 one for my friend and one for me;

Mine: Best interiors ; no issues with any mechanical; exterior needed love; I spent [2.3 Lac]
Friend: Below average interiors; no issues with mechanical; better exteriors; Spent [1.2 Lac]

Both cars have been restored exteriors; re-coats..

Diesel maybe a tad expensive over petrol
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 10:16   #98
BHPian

Key Help needed in Mumbai/navi Mumbai
My ignition key slot has fone bust. Though the door is working fine. Not able to start the car. I searched international forums as well but not really helped.
Can someone suggest a keywalla who can fix this

TIA
Old 21st August 2012, 10:29   #99
Team-BHP Support

Happened to me once in my uncles mercedes 230E in the UK. The ignition barrel has worn out. The AA man came along, dismantled the panel and removed the key barrel and gave me a screwdriver to turn the ignition on. YOu need to source another ignition switch/lock mechnism and add the key barrel to it to retin use of existing key
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 10:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Happened to me once in my uncles mercedes 230E in the UK. The ignition barrel has worn out. The AA man came along, dismantled the panel and removed the key barrel and gave me a screwdriver to turn the ignition on. YOu need to source another ignition switch/lock mechnism and add the key barrel to it to retin use of existing key
Dear Ajmat,
That's right.

The issue is: I can't turn it even once which is needed to take out the barrel by using a pin ()
I am trying to do something about this. However if it doesn't work out I'll have to do the hard removal (W124 Ignition barrel replacement help (The hard way!) - MBClub UK - Bringing together Mercedes Enthusiasts)
This will need extensive work.
Trying to find someone help me get it done.

Wondering if it would be a good idea to have new keys/barrel for both doors and ignition if its not prohibitively expensive.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:05   #101
Team-BHP Support

Actually it was a tubular shaft between the key tumbler and the ignition switch/ steering lock that sheared.

What happens - you turn the key and nothing happens or the ock has jammed solid
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2012, 11:08   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Actually it was a tubular shaft between the key tumbler and the ignition switch/ steering lock that sheared.

What happens - you turn the key and nothing happens or the ock has jammed solid

Its jammed solid. The problem had occured few days back after I had given it to valet in Pali Hill. It totally locked up on Sunday night (luckily after I reached home after a 700 km trip to Shirdi)
Old 21st August 2012, 16:42   #103
BHPian

It locks up sometimes after the key is comopelety lose; happened to a friend of mine; i think you would need a mech to help you remove the tubler and the related sterring lock; the only way is a new tumbler; approx 4K from MB
Old 29th August 2012, 00:25   #104
BHPian

A few very small updates. I know a lot of these posts don't discuss very significant issues with the car (and I'm not asking for support, really), but I guess any information we can all share about our experiences may be valuable to someone in a similar spot, or looking to get an idea before buying their own 124. On that note...

Also need a little help - Please see point 6!

1) The rear left power window failed, and got stuck at a 30% open position from the top. Wouldn't go up even by force, so had to leave it as it is for a couple of days (until I could find the time to get it done). Don't ask how I managed to keep the rainwater out in this season!

Anyway, it turned out that the channel on which the mechanism rides has a small moving attachment which had broken due to years of wear. A new channel wasn't available (unless you buy the entire assembly including the motor), so a new one was fabricated and put in by our trusty electrician at Palika Bhawan. Took a short while and works well now. Cost a fraction of the new part, and I'm more than satisfied.

2) The hood ornament had been loose for a bit - couldn't tighten it as the attachment itself has loosened over time. A new star was out of the question for now, as this one is original and hasn't lost it's shine. Used a little elfy under the attachment (Not on the car body or the star itself), and pronto. We're done!

On a side note, does anyone know where to get the Taiwan made three pointed stars which used to go around for Rs.500 odd? I can't find them anymore! Always handy to keep a couple just in case.

3) Now for the biggie. The roof fabric had sagged from the inside, thanks to an impulsive interior cleaning exercise using a little water. Mercedes, apparently, uses some water soluble glue. Why, Mercedes, why?! Anyway, it took all of 2 hours and a very talented upholstery guy to do it up again, this time with new, nicer fabric. I dare say it's a cross between fabric and PU and looks a little like MB Tex

4) All new ICE. Finally! While I will update the ICE section in a bit, here's a quick summary:

- JVC KD X30 media receiver. Yes, one pre out, no TA, no disc receiver. This car needs a simple, non amplified, no SUB kinda stealth setup which will be played at simple volumes.

- Boston Accoustics Mobile Audio coaxials throughout. 4" in the stock locations in the front, 6x9" in the rear without any modification but some clever placement.

Other details in the ICE section!

5) A little suspension work - there's a slight noise from the front right. Nothing major, probably just a bush to be replaced. Will wait for the monsoon to end before I touch it.

6) Injector cleaning - I've been wondering if this will help my fuel consumption. The car is very smooth, idles and revvs gracefully, accelerates smoothly and has no jerks or misses. However, in city FC is stuck at 5-6 and highway 7-8 at max. Other owners tell me something's wrong - everyone seems to get 1-2 more. Any ideas?

7) Interiors - Next update will involve a little work on the seats - need to redo them with some good quality art leather. Simple plain black, modeled around the existing seat pattern, to match the car's elegance.

I think that's it for now. I wish I had taken pictures to support some of the work done, but I always tend to forget. Will be back with more updates later!
Old 6th September 2012, 13:08   #105
BHPian

Here's one for the Gurus

I have a 1994 W124 E300 Diesel. The car's done 1.20L kms.

I am currently looking to replace the front discs and pads. The current ones on the vehicle are non vented (solid) discs.

I know for a fact that vented discs are available for the car.

Now, how difficult would it be to change over from solid to vented discs. Is it a straight swap?

Also, part numbers replacing the current parts would be helpful if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks