Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2013, 13:06   #226
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Was going through some old bookmarks and found this little documentary video on the 124. Most of us have probably seen it, but worth a share!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd April 2013 at 20:43. Reason: Embedding YouTube Video. Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 15:43   #227
BHPian

Hi All,

Recently bought a 1994 E300 6-Cylinder Automatic Diesel, the car is in good shape and has done 1.6k on ODO. Below are the repairs/fixes done so far:

1. Driver side power window not working properly due to faulty teeth – replaced the same.
2. Fixed broken back bumper and painted
3. Cleaned the rust on all doors and painted the rusted part.
4. Water leak under the passenger carpet – this issue is comment to most of the W124’s due to battery water leakage and rusting of battery compartment. Replaced the metal sheet and fixed.
5. Cleaned the clogged radiator – resulting in overheating.
6. Changes all four tyres with Hankook – 205-65-R15
7. Replaced the Power antenna rubber boot.

I want to replace the 1. Sunroof rubber beading 2. Passenger Side Mirror [mirror only]. 3. Insider rearview mirror and if possible 4. Clear lens head light [poor lights now]
The car runs like a dream and giving me an average of 11-12 KMPL on city and above 14 on Highways.

Is there any spare parts shop available in Bangalore, Mumbai or Chennai where I can get W124 parts for reasonable rate? The work shop fellows are charging insane margins for the spares when asked.

Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 17:19   #228
Team-BHP Support

Arjun Chavan asks this via our Facebook page:
Hello, i have been owning a 1997 w124 E250D in Pune. My experience with services guy has not been pleasant, so have decided to service the vehicle on my own.

I have procured parts from one of the stores in Opera House. The oil filter that he has sent me is the left in the below picture, however the current filter in the housing is the one on the right. I checked with the store owner and he is saying that the one on the right is the cigarette and not for my car.

Now the oil filter housing in my engine bay does not support the other filter (different fitting).

Can anyone help me unveil the mystery.
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-601134_10151504505347305_343044515_n.jpg

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
R
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:46   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The oil filter that he has sent me is the left in the below picture, however the current filter in the housing is the one on the right. I checked with the store owner and he is saying that the one on the right is the cigarette and not for my car.

Now the oil filter housing in my engine bay does not support the other filter (different fitting).
The one on the left is indeed the correct filter for petrol 124s (at least the E220) - I replaced mine last week. It goes into the standard housing.

I don't know why you have the incorrect filter - the weird part is that the housing itself may be incorrect, as you say it doesn't support the correct filter. I can upload a picture of the housing in my car later this evening if it helps.

Edit - I just realized you mentioned that your car is a diesel. However, I don't think the oil filter would be different for diesels... maybe someone else can confirm

Last edited by ayushagarwal26 : 2nd April 2013 at 10:47. Reason: Adding a missed point
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 11:55   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Hello, i have been owning a 1997 w124 E250D in Pune. My experience with services guy has not been pleasant, so have decided to service the vehicle on my own.

I have procured parts from one of the stores in Opera House. The oil filter that he has sent me is the left in the below picture, however the current filter in the housing is the one on the right. I checked with the store owner and he is saying that the one on the right is the cigarette and not for my car.

Can anyone help me unveil the mystery.
Attachment 1068128

Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
R
The oil filter on the right is the filter used in OM615,616,617 range of engines. They are available easily in the Indian market for use in the Force traveler range of engines, not sure of the current range of engines, but the old ones definitely used the same ones. I owned a W123 200D with the OM615 engine and have bought oil filters under the name of the traveler. They were quite cheap as well, so I guess the same must have been done by the person who serviced your car earlier and bought the cheaper filter.
Although they performance is on par with their expensive sibling filters as the only difference I could find out was, the expensive ones were imported hence the extra cost. I strongly suggest you look up the part number which is punched on the Oil filter housing cap and match the same with the filter you buy.
A quick search on google can tell you what kind of filter is used for the W124 250D OM602 engine. My search revealed the filter that came in your car ie; the filter on the right is the correct filter (see picture). This might not be the same engine on your W124 but it sis the same OM602 block.

Good luck
Saud.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-om602.jpg  

Last edited by msaudf : 2nd April 2013 at 12:05.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:36   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
We hit the highway and just after 150kms I saw the temp gauge was at 100 degrees

Can a leak in the exhaust cause the engine to overheat or operate at a higher temp than normal?
The temperature gauge at 100 is not a worry in summer with AC on. The normal operating temperature is between 80-100, and you should worry if it goes beyond the 100 mark, towards the last red/120 mark.

Also, my exhaust had cracked (not a small leak, but a major one) a few months ago, and I drove it for over an hour before parking it at home and getting it repaired the next weekend. I don't think it should cause the temperature to rise at all. But then again, if it went up to a hundred on one occasion, I wouldn't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStuff View Post
7. Replaced the Power antenna rubber boot.
Hey! Congratulations on your car.

Can you please tell me where you procured this boot, and what was the cost? Mine is quite worn out too.

In addition, does anyone know what the rubber boot(s) around the ORVMs cost?

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2013 at 17:05. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 16:56   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Please ask for the engine number, of its OM602, it should be the left one(read-shopkeeper is right)or if its OM605, then its the right side one (read-you are right).
My guess is that you are right, as yours is a later 1997 model, which was assembled in India....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStuff View Post
Is there any spare parts shop available in Bangalore, Mumbai or Chennai where I can get W124 parts for reasonable rate? The work shop fellows are charging insane margins for the spares when asked.
I would ask you to search these parts prices online and then compare, otherwise get in touch with a quality supplier in Delhi or Mumbai.

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2013 at 18:17. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Thanks for the help.
911varun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:50   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post

In addition, does anyone know what the rubber boot(s) around the ORVMs cost?
Don't replace the rubber boots. The ones that are available in Delhi are crap. Ill fitting, rubbish looking, loose. Just ugh. Cost about 6K a set though for some Taiwanese or Thai stuff. Regret getting those on the E220, but the original ones were completely destroyed, hence we had to replace them.

As far as I know, you only get the original boots when you buy a new mirror. It's an expensive affair.

I think you should try and get it filled with some bonding material and have it painted over the original. I'm going to try that on my E250D. The new ones are just not worth it.
Old 10th April 2013, 18:47   #234
BHPian

Any ideas what gear oil goes into the w124 e220 (petrol) manual transmission? is it the regular 75W90? Also can we use the same blue coloured coolant we use on other cars?
Old 10th April 2013, 21:42   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Any ideas what gear oil goes into the w124 e220 (petrol) manual transmission? is it the regular 75W90? Also can we use the same blue coloured coolant we use on other cars?
I'm using automatic transmission fluid in mine.

I suppose you can use any coolant. I think you should use 50 to 60% water.
Old 11th April 2013, 14:24   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I'm using automatic transmission fluid in mine.

I suppose you can use any coolant. I think you should use 50 to 60% water.

ATF in a manual tranny?? thats new to me! arent manual trannys supposed to run on 80W90 kind of specs?

Any specifications (dex -II, III, etc) or brand you recommend?

Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 11th April 2013 at 14:27.
Old 11th April 2013, 19:52   #237
BHPian

Quote:
ATF in a manual tranny?? thats new to me! arent manual trannys supposed to run on 80W90 kind of specs?

Any specifications (dex -II, III, etc) or brand you recommend?
Using Castrol. It makes the shifts much smoother. I don't remember the actual specs, but the original is very thick and it made the shifts very very hard, so we switched to ATF which is the perfect consistency.

I don't recall seeing any specification listed in the owners manual. You might want to check. Just flush the radiator before, as a lot of coolant types don't mix well. Any radiator flush will do, but just remember to drain out the flush completely, and then fill in water, run it for a few minutes, drain it out, and THEN mix coolant and water in a 50:50 ratio.
Any decent brand will do. I'm using something called Golden Cruiser in both my W124s.
Old 15th April 2013, 23:36   #238
BHPian

Quote:
If you have access to Redline MT, I highly recommend it. You will not believe the improvement in shifting.
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:59   #239
BHPian

Guys had quick question; does anyone know what is the default spring pad size on a E220 front & back?

And could you post up your ride heights as of now; thinking of lowering the suspension a bit

Say Ride height in Inches = Edge of the wheel arc to the center of the rim /star on the wheel
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:29   #240
BHPian

As a long-term W124 driver who does all his own maintenance and repairs, I strongly recommend using the lubricants, fluids and other parts which Mercedes themselves supply or suggest.

In my experience, using non-standard parts and oils/coolant means reduced lifespan of the car. Since MB antifreeze/coolant last for many years more than the regular 'cheap' stuff and will not damage the inside of your engine, why use something which could and will need replacing much more regularly?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks