Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2013, 11:20   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Manik, must say its a great looking car you have there. Really hard to find such a well maintained vehicle today. Two things u must source to complete the car is 1) the rear antennae rubber boot which is not OE spec on your car and the gear lever boot which looks worn out. Dont try to get it made locally, just get one from any Benz parts store in chandigarh, ludhiana or bombay.
Also please dont use 93 in your car. That fuel comes with an additive which clogs your injectors in the long run as the additive does not agree with the Indian climatic conditions nor with the fuel pump which will go kaput within 15k kms. this was told to me by the MBIL guys here. I used only regular fuel througout.
Thanks bro I searched almost 1 year to get her. Yup she is really well maintained just needs to be detailed.

I will have the whole antenna changed to a original one and also will get the lower and upper boot. I have already ordered the boots.

The gear lever boot I am sourcing from a junked car. The car has been in the police impound yard for almost 13 years now and that car has done only 13k. its interior is better that new. It will become my parts car.

Surely bro wouldn't use the 93 octane. Waise bhi Chandigarh mai milta nahi hai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
So, she came home today. A detailed 'I bought my car thread coming soon'.
1996, E250, 1,24,xxx km on the odo
Attachment 1116708
Congrats bro waiting for a complete review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
I agree with you a 100%. The joy of driving a old car..

Yes, my family did have a Contessa. We had it for 14 years and for about 375,000 kms.

Just don't use the injector cleaner too often. Once every 5K is how much I use it, but it's probably safer to do it on a need to basis. If you don't see an improvement, you could look into replacing the fuel filter.
Yup joy of driving a old German Tank. Took her out at 2 AM today morning. Man she can run. Drove her on the under construction Airport road. 170 was no problem for her only the road ended.

Wo that's alot ok KM on the contessa
My family owned many contessa. I was in no mood to sell mine but wife saw it as a Piece of ugly Metal.

Yup will use it once in a while. 5K mark will be good
Old 26th July 2013, 13:57   #377
Senior - BHPian

Update

Was getting the New Windshield Fitted. The person doing the Fitting broke the glass. The shopkeeper has order a new one.
Old 26th July 2013, 16:02   #378
BHPian

Hi guys

2 things have been bugging me to no end and I am unable to find a solution to the same.

I have a 1994 E300 D automatic with OM606 engine (multi-valve)

1) The front and rear discs are solid. Now I know the rear discs are solid, but I always thought the front was vented. Has this been retrofitted or do the E300s come with solid discs at front also. Is it possible for me to switch to vented discs at the front. Parts list and any other info will be useful.

2) My car does not have an EGR valve. Again, most vehicles you see on the internet show an EGR, has this been removed from my car? What are the benefits of this EGR? Should I find one and try to fit it in?

Thanks in advance
Old 26th July 2013, 18:00   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Yup joy of driving a old German Tank. Took her out at 2 AM today morning. Man she can run. Drove her on the under construction Airport road. 170 was no problem for her only the road ended.

Wo that's alot ok KM on the contessa
My family owned many contessa. I was in no mood to sell mine but wife saw it as a Piece of ugly Metal.

Yup will use it once in a while. 5K mark will be good
The top speed is 190 - 195.

That's terrible. The Contessa was at one point in time a symbol of luxury!

The need to use largely depends on the kind of fuel quality you get. Since you don't get 93 octane, you'll be using regular fuel, I suppose?
Unless of course you get 97 octane (again, pure fuel, no additives) in Chandigarh?!
But 97 is stupidly expensive. 93 bucks a litre!
There used to be a time when the E220 used to run only on 97. That was when it was my dads car. A tankful used to last him almost 60 days, so it was acceptable. I end up using a tankful every month, so it's a bit expensive.
Old 27th July 2013, 02:37   #380
BHPian

Quote:
There used to be a time when the E220 used to run only on 97. That was when it was my dads car. A tankful used to last him almost 60 days, so it was acceptable. I end up using a tankful every month, so it's a bit expensive.
Hey Viraat! Didn't know you use the 220 now... that's awesome! I still haven't seen your 300 though. Did you not keep the 250D and let go of the 220 after all? I'm not in India now but we should meet up when I'm back in september.

Also, I need a little help with my car - if you saw my post from a few days ago, it waterlogged a little last week :( I'll PM you. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old 27th July 2013, 10:41   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Update

Was getting the New Windshield Fitted. The person doing the Fitting broke the glass. The shopkeeper has order a new one.
This is a sad thing to happen. I am a little confused here. Did you actualy buy the original windshield for 3k?
Old 27th July 2013, 18:30   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Hey Viraat! Didn't know you use the 220 now... that's awesome! I still haven't seen your 300 though. Did you not keep the 250D and let go of the 220 after all? I'm not in India now but we should meet up when I'm back in september.

Also, I need a little help with my car - if you saw my post from a few days ago, it waterlogged a little last week :( I'll PM you. Thanks for any help you can provide!
The E220 is too dear to us. Couldn't bare to part with it, plus we weren't getting anywhere close to the actual value of the car.
Sure, we ought to meet when you're back. Come and see the 300E.

Replying right now. It's most likely blocked drain pipes overflowing into the cabin.
Old 28th July 2013, 03:31   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxmanrk View Post
Hi guys

2 things have been bugging me to no end and I am unable to find a solution to the same.

I have a 1994 E300 D automatic with OM606 engine (multi-valve)

1) The front and rear discs are solid. Now I know the rear discs are solid, but I always thought the front was vented. Has this been retrofitted or do the E300s come with solid discs at front also. Is it possible for me to switch to vented discs at the front. Parts list and any other info will be useful.

2) My car does not have an EGR valve. Again, most vehicles you see on the internet show an EGR, has this been removed from my car? What are the benefits of this EGR? Should I find one and try to fit it in?

Thanks in advance

If the brakes work well, leave things as they are. As for EGR valves, they generally cause trouble as time goes by - my advice is to blank it off.
Old 28th July 2013, 08:55   #384
BHPian

For your viewing pleasure, guys, this is the car.

No much issues as on date to talk of, except the headlight knob not getting illuminated when its turned on.

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-first.jpg
Old 28th July 2013, 09:15   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The top speed is 190 - 195.

That's terrible. The Contessa was at one point in time a symbol of luxury!

The need to use largely depends on the kind of fuel quality you get. Since you don't get 93 octane, you'll be using regular fuel, I suppose?
Unless of course you get 97 octane (again, pure fuel, no additives) in Chandigarh?!
But 97 is stupidly expensive. 93 bucks a litre!

I thought that the Indian w124 were restricted at 180. Yes contessa was a car for the rich. Have owned many contessa's but had to give her up. It was the contessa or my wife.

Had a word with my bro and he told me to use normal petrol and use injector cleaner after every 5k Km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharakan9 View Post
This is a sad thing to happen. I am a little confused here. Did you actualy buy the original windshield for 3k?
I bought a PPG one for 3k but that one also broke while fitting. Will be getting a new one in few days.
Quote:

No much issues as on date to talk of, except the headlight knob not getting illuminated when its turned on.

Attachment 1117604
They are very small bulbs not available. If you find them please send me a dozen.
Old 28th July 2013, 23:38   #386
BHPian

Guys,

How does the W124 E250 (or any other diesel W124 for that matter) perform cold starts? I had gone to Kodaikanal a few months back when the temperature there had dipped to some 10 degree celsius or so (not sure, but it was damn C-O-L-D). Our friend who is a native told us that the older diesel cars (read non-CRDI) from other places have trouble starting up there because the diesel get waxed (??) because of low temperature. The diesel cars running there get the fuel pumped from the local fuel stations that supplies fuel mixed with additives that prevents the diesel from getting 'waxed'. How does our diesel cars behave in such situations?

I am planning to take the W124 to some real cold places in the next few weeks and I am kind of apprehensive about it.

Thank you.
Old 29th July 2013, 00:47   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

How does the W124 E250 (or any other diesel W124 for that matter) perform cold starts? I had gone to Kodaikanal a few months back when the temperature there had dipped to some 10 degree celsius or so (not sure, but it was damn C-O-L-D). Our friend who is a native told us that the older diesel cars (read non-CRDI) from other places have trouble starting up there because the diesel get waxed (??) because of low temperature. The diesel cars running there get the fuel pumped from the local fuel stations that supplies fuel mixed with additives that prevents the diesel from getting 'waxed'. How does our diesel cars behave in such situations?

I am planning to take the W124 to some real cold places in the next few weeks and I am kind of apprehensive about it.

Thank you.

10C to us British is very mild, in winter at least. And quite a common nighttime temperature in summer. At these temps I would be surprised if any diesel waxes, I use rapeseed oil and that stays liquid to well below -10C!

When temps drop below zero a drop of petrol will prevent waxing, you will not harm your car in the slightest although you may notice a little loss of performance. Search the web to see when diesel without additives waxes. I think it's -4C or so, may be lower. Euro Winter Alpine diesel has special additives to keep it working down below -20C, otherwise Euro Winter diesel is good to about -17C.

Any 124 should start virtually instantly at any temperature down to -25C, if the fuel can flow - as should any diesel if the glow plugs are working and compression in the cylinders is correct. I have started my 124 300TD at -18C on 90% vegetable oil, with a drop of petrol and diesel to keep it nice and thin.

See the comment in my reply on the other thread about your car regarding the poor design of fuel lines on the OM605/6 engines, which can allow air ingress and so hinder starting.

The youtube vid below has this written next to it:

Uploaded on Feb 6, 2012
After 4 nights with -24C went to start my Mercedes E250 D, 1993.
The actual temperature that morning was -10,5C. Well - it started as a new car from the shop

It started second time, although the guy only engaged the starter very briefly first try. It didn't start instantly because either there was a tiny amount of air ingress into the fuel lines (see above) or the glow plugs weren't like new. Two cycles of the glow plugs at that sort of temperature is a good idea anyway and would have started this particular car first time.

Last edited by FlatOut : 29th July 2013 at 00:58.
Old 29th July 2013, 03:11   #388
BHPian

Quote:
How does the W124 E250 (or any other diesel W124 for that matter) perform cold starts? .... I am planning to take the W124 to some real cold places in the next few weeks and I am kind of apprehensive about it.
Haha. 10 degrees isn't that cold.
Go on YouTube and type "W124 diesel cold start" and be amazed!
Just be sure that your glow plug system is working fine, and the rest you don't need to worry about.
Also, you when you're cranking the diesel W124, you have to keep at the crank for up to about 45 seconds even if the car doesn't start. Also, if you're extra paranoid in the hills, park the car with it's nose facing downwards, gravity will help the diesel flow too.
Having said all of that, my W124 used to start on the second crank with 10 degree temperatures here in Delhi with ONE of the glow plugs not working. After I got it fixed, it started in the first go.

EDIT — I see that FlatOut has done the YouTubing for you. And then some more.

Quote:
I thought that the Indian w124 were restricted at 180. Yes contessa was a car for the rich. Have owned many contessa's but had to give her up. It was the contessa or my wife.

Had a word with my bro and he told me to use normal petrol and use injector cleaner after every 5k Km.

They are very small bulbs not available. If you find them please send me a dozen.
I had thought so too, till I found out for myself. But it is definitely limited, as I felt that the car still had a little more to give.

It's the best alternative to genuine high octane fuel.

Actually, the small bulbs are still occasionally available from time to time, the bulbs that go inside the AC knobs, and the small indicator lamp in the headlamp switch for when the rear fog lamps are on are a frosted variety of the small bulbs which are impossible to find. If you put the regular kind inside the AC knobs, they will become SO hot that you won't be able to touch them at night. Also, remove the knobs yourself with your hand, don't let an electrician go at it with a pair of pliers. Just grab the knob with both hands, and pull it out straight.

Quote:

Hey, that is a great looking car!

It could be a faulty connection, not too urgent, I suppose.

Last edited by Viraat13 : 29th July 2013 at 03:13.
Old 29th July 2013, 09:07   #389
BHPian

This is a new thread -
I am looking for a competent electrician and tuner in Bangalore to attend to my W124, E200 Petrol. The AC relay and idling seem to be acting up. I have observed most electricians who are familiar with modern cars aren't very well versed with electricals on older Mercs.
Any suggestions on who to go to please?
Old 29th July 2013, 11:18   #390
Senior - BHPian

I have a New problem with My E220. After the sad story with the glass replacement, the car wouldn't start. All the lights except the SRS light don't come. The engine turns but the car wouldn't start.

Also the Front Window Lift fuse (B) was kaput and Replaced it with the Replacement Fuse.

My electrician did something and the car started just fine. But on Saturday It again develop the same thing but after only touching the fuse box it started.

What can be the problem be I am total lost. Please help me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks