Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2020, 23:54   #1126
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Does anyone know anyone here in Chennai who can take a look at my W124 E220. It might just need a basic service and a good look at the electricals.
I have found a mechanic for my W124, who is passionate about 124s. Will use his services first and let you know if he is worth. Keep in touch. I will keep you posted about my W124.
Old 6th November 2020, 17:30   #1127
BHPian

If they have worked on Classic (pre-1997) cars before, use them. Experience is fast disappearing in India.

I don't partcipate here much anymore after the admins refused permission to post a genuinely Classic car focussed show I produced, but if anyone has questions about their W124 and want to know which parts to get and from where, feel free to PM me.

Enjoy the W124 (or earlier MBs if you can find them) as they really are the only cars built to stand the test of time on Indian roads!
Old 15th January 2021, 16:48   #1128
BHPian

Hi! We had bought a Mercedes Benz W124 E-220 in February 2019. The car had been sitting for a while and didn't crank. Thereafter, apart from some minor things here and there. the service included the following work:

(i) Engine Oil
(ii) Oil Filter
(iii) Fuel filter
(iv) Gear oil
(v) Coolant
(vi) Brake fluid
(vii) Front and Rear disk pads were replaced
(viii) Spark plugs replaced
(ix) Fuel Pump replaced
(x) New battery and tyres
(xi) Front suspension overhaul.

A few months ago, the engine began to misfire badly and was shown to an independent garage that we usually visit. Apparently, the car needs a new ignition coil and some other electrical work. However, the availability of spare parts has been an issue so the car ended up standing at the workshop for around 4 months. We recently decided to get the car back home and while doing so, a portion of the exhaust fell off. This is the reason the car sounds more like a tractor as of now.

It would be greatly appreciated if fellow W124 owners can suggest an expert in or around Chandigarh, to diagnose and fix the current issue being faced.

Thanks in advance.

Old 17th January 2021, 10:38   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagatvir View Post
Hi! We had bought a Mercedes Benz W124 E-220 in February 2019. The car had been sitting for a while and didn't crank. Thereafter, apart from some minor things here and there. the service included the following work:
Hi Jagatvir,
You can contact "Car Doctors Amritsar" they can help in Chandigarh as well. I have just shifted from Delhi to Chandigarh. Getting new and used spares is not an issue there. For any parts for W124 you can also connect with Mr. Manoj from Capital car company (Delhi). Let me know if any other help needed.

Regards
Gaurav
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-save_20210117_103455.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th January 2021 at 10:43. Reason: quote content trimmed
Gauravtewari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2021, 13:41   #1130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

(i) Engine Oil
(ii) Oil Filter
(iii) Fuel filter
(iv) Gear oil
(v) Coolant
(vi) Brake fluid
(vii) Front and Rear disk pads were replaced
(viii) Spark plugs replaced
(ix) Fuel Pump replaced
(x) New battery and tyres
(xi) Front suspension overhaul.

A few months ago, the engine began to misfire badly and was shown to an independent garage that we usually visit. Apparently, the car needs a new ignition coil and some other electrical work. However, the availability of spare parts has been an issue so the car ended up standing at the workshop for around 4 months. We recently decided to get the car back home and while doing so, a portion of the exhaust fell off. This is the reason the car sounds more like a tractor as of now.

It would be greatly appreciated if fellow W124 owners can suggest an expert in or around Chandigarh, to diagnose and fix the current issue being faced.

Thanks in advance.
Hey buddy, PM me your contact number, I am in and around chandigarh these days, and just finished a major job in my E220.
Will definitely help out with your car to have it up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauravtewari View Post
Hi Jagatvir,
You can contact "Car Doctors Amritsar" they can help in Chandigarh as well. I have just shifted from Delhi to Chandigarh. Getting new and used spares is not an issue there. For any parts for W124 you can also connect with Mr. Manoj from Capital car company (Delhi). Let me know if any other help needed.

Regards
Gaurav
Hey Gaurav, do you have a W124 in chandigarh?
We have a small local owners group here; PM me, if you would like to join us on a meet sometime, which we are planning soon.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2021, 10:57   #1131
BHPian

I'm classified as a newbie so can't PM you. Could you please send me your contact number by PM, will revert back.
Old 18th January 2021, 20:22   #1132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm classified as a newbie so can't PM you. Could you please send me your contact number by PM, will revert back.
Unfortunately, I cannot send you a PM either, quickly complete 25 posts, and we will be able to communicate.
Let's get your car up and running
Old 5th April 2021, 22:55   #1133
BHPian

Does anyone have any leads on a clean W124 in Gurgaon/ Delhi with valid (and obviously out of state) registration?
TIA
Old 13th August 2021, 09:03   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Require an oil sensor for the E250. Kindly let me know if it is available anywhere.

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th February 2022, 09:37   #1135
BHPian

I respected Akshay's comment (Pre-worshipped car of the week : Buying a Used BMW 3-Series (F30)) and decided to search for a better E90. I extended my search to outside of my state (Kerala) through a newly made acquaintance. We were both religiously exchanged good finds in Delhi, Mumbai, Haryana, etc. I was drooling over many nicely kept E90's until one evening I decided to search W124 again on OLX, because why not. Fortunately or unfortunately, I found a gracefully restored 1997 E220 automatic for 10 lacs.

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenshot-20220207-09.28.42.png

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenshot-20220207-09.29.45.png

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenshot-20220207-09.31.09.png

It was restored around 2 years ago and isn't a completely stock restoration. For example, it's got air suspension, custom alloys, some AMG type bumpers and the like. But the interiors are completely stock except for a Pioneer audio system. My wife and I took a test drive and it drove super smooth, and we fell in love with it. We couldn't stop smiling and almost decided on giving him a token advance. The owner has agreed to sell it for 7.5 lacs which he claims is not really the best deal for him considering the amount of money he's already put in it, but he needs urgent cash to start a new project.

The new acquaintance I made who was helping me find an E90 says that it may not be a sensible option as he's had a W124 in mint condition before and had to sell it because of the maintenance. And let me tell you that this guy owns an Octavia Combi, an E63 AMG, an E90 330i, a Stage 2 tuned Polo GT TSI, etc. so that you know he lives and breathes in the car world as far as I can tell.

I asked the owner to list all the mods he's done already, and he's sent me a list that he remembers on top of his head. Assuming that he's done a good job and used mostly OEM parts as claimed, can I shell out the 7.5 lacs and buy this?
  1. All the relays are new including OVP.
  2. Fuel pump.
  3. Vaccum system.
  4. AC condenser fan.
  5. Tensioner bearing.
  6. Fan belt.
  7. Coolant can.
  8. B2 Band (Gearbox).
  9. All the switches and interior bulbs.
  10. Wiring kit. Almost all major portions.
  11. Horn.
  12. AC vents.
  13. Headlights.
  14. Front indicators.
  15. Suspension completely reworked including bushes and shocks as part of air suspension.
  16. Exhaust pipes. Including cat and end can.
  17. All oils. Including gearbox oil, power steering oil. brake fluid, etc.
  18. All power window motors are replaced. Including winders.
  19. Interior light front.

I'm still worried about the reliability and maintenance of the car. I'd like to know a few things from the experienced folks and W124 owners from here about whether it's a sensible decision to buy this car.
  1. The car will be driven at least 10 km every day for sure, and longer on some weekends. I know things will break down and spares might take weeks if not months to get available. But what I can't know is how frequently could things go wrong. Could someone tell me?
  2. Would it be sensible to drive the car for 200 to 600 km every once in a while, or would I get stranded on the road?
anaghp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 14:59   #1136

Hi all. Am going to purchase an E220 which has been worked up pretty well for most part. Only thing is rear right headrest is loose but still attached and spare wheel was not shown at the dealer. They'd contacted owners who has agreed to look into the spare tyre issue. Is there a good mechanic in Calicut, Kerala who can be approached to inspect the cars mechanically thoroughly?
AjAc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 05:28   #1137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Posting here as a request for help.
A friend owns a beautiful W124.
The car is pristine and even the interiors are original and impeccable.
But the driver’s seat has a tear. The original leather cover has a rip made by someone’s jeans rivet or similar.
Does anyone know a top class upholstery restorer who can help?
I m waiting to get some photos of the rip, which I’ll post here later.
Old 17th October 2022, 05:42   #1138
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Posting here as a request for help.
A friend owns a beautiful W124.
The car is pristine and even the interiors are original and impeccable.
But the driver’s seat has a tear. The original leather cover has a rip made by someone’s jeans rivet or similar.
Does anyone know a top class upholstery restorer who can help?
I m waiting to get some photos of the rip, which I’ll post here later.
Quoting myself and asking for help for my friend.
Here are the pictures of the ripped driver seat side bolster. Other than this, the car is absolutely pristine.
The car is located in KL.
And it needs this upholstery job done, in as impeccable a manner as possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-3b9f70d72a5a4b7eb64a5df3631e5cf8.jpeg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-a111362dae3145689d2dc4170c1ee6c8.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 18:02   #1139
BHPian

So I was driving in Pune today, and was following a silver W124 with last 4 digits 5650, on South Main Road over to Kalyaninagar. If you are on this forum, the car looks to be in great shape, and we live in the same neighborhood!
Old 17th October 2023, 10:31   #1140

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
I have the vaccum diagram, however its at my home in a hard copy manual and cant access it, meanwhile you can refer to the screen shot from EPC that shows the wire running

The wire is behind the carpet that covers the petrol tank from the boot, lean inside and you will see; do the following

1. Remove the pipe off the offending headrest; ask someone to to press the button
2. Feel for vaccum using your finger, if you feel vaccum then its the actuator that is bad
3. if you dont feel for vaccum then, trace that wire to see where it is leaking

I assuming your vaccum pump works, as the line to the headrest is a common one which split for two head rest

Let me know what you find out; if its the restraint, thenit can also be the locking mechanism or actuator or some small pin etc. Will let you know what to do

Screen Shot of the EPC
Attachment 1198891

Generic part diagram, will send you more specific from my manual if you want in few days
Attachment 1198892

Hey Mr. Menon, I'm a little late to this thread but have recently acquired a 96 W124 and cannot for the life of me find a service manual. Would you happen to know where I can find one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks