Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 21:36   #1021
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
1600? How much lower can you go?
Did you mean it is okay? Or did you mean it is too early for gearshifts? (Sorry for not understanding the sarcasm).
Old 13th April 2017, 09:38   #1022
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Did you mean it is okay? Or did you mean it is too early for gearshifts? (Sorry for not understanding the sarcasm).
It's too early. The OM606 etc are rev happy. As long as you're doing the oil changes on time, you can rev to how much ever you want.

If you've been babying the car at 1600 rpm for too long, please read up on Italian Tune Ups.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 20:38   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
It's too early. The OM606 etc are rev happy. As long as you're doing the oil changes on time, you can rev to how much ever you want.

If you've been babying the car at 1600 rpm for too long, please read up on Italian Tune Ups.

Good to know that. I really like the sound the car makes when it touches 2k. I did not mean I baby the car at 1600 rpm always. It is just that I normally change gears around that area 1600-1700 in low gears and go up to > 2k only in low gears only occassionally for the sake of that sound and push it gives at high rpms.
Old 16th April 2017, 12:24   #1024
BHPian

Hello everybody. I am the new owner of a 1996 (India-made) MB W124 E250 Diesel and after a little TLC including a paint-job, she's peachy-pie. While she was up on the ramp, I came upon a giant slab of sheet-metal slung under the engine (the sump protector) containing what looked like an interleaving suspension rod at the forward end.

Now, I know this Benz is an over-engineered beast, but isn't this large (and extremely heavy) plate a little over the top? Can I remove it and drive without it, without damage? It is dragging the performance down and making the car sluggish, because I had occasion to drive the car over a short distance and the performance picked up like nobody's business.

Since I only take her out twice a week on known roads, there is no fear of hitting any unscheduled humps. Can I remove this plate and drive without fear of damage to any suspension parts, since that front rod (which goes through the plate) seems to be really as tough as an anti-roll bar!

Hope someone out there can help.

CLYDE
Old 17th April 2017, 15:59   #1025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Good to know that. I really like the sound the car makes when it touches 2k. I did not mean I baby the car at 1600 rpm always. It is just that I normally change gears around that area 1600-1700 in low gears and go up to > 2k only in low gears only occassionally for the sake of that sound and push it gives at high rpms.
The engine generates peak torque at 2800 RPM, so I'd say you can take it till that much more often.

You really need to open up the engine once in a while and rev it past 3800 RPM to clean out the soot and carbon. That's what an Italian Tune-Up is, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDE View Post
Hello everybody. I am the new owner of a 1996 (India-made) MB W124 E250 Diesel and after a little TLC including a paint-job, she's peachy-pie. While she was up on the ramp, I came upon a giant slab of sheet-metal slung under the engine (the sump protector) containing what looked like an interleaving suspension rod at the forward end.

Now, I know this Benz is an over-engineered beast, but isn't this large (and extremely heavy) plate a little over the top? Can I remove it and drive without it, without damage? It is dragging the performance down and making the car sluggish, because I had occasion to drive the car over a short distance and the performance picked up like nobody's business.

Since I only take her out twice a week on known roads, there is no fear of hitting any unscheduled humps. Can I remove this plate and drive without fear of damage to any suspension parts, since that front rod (which goes through the plate) seems to be really as tough as an anti-roll bar!

Hope someone out there can help.

CLYDE
You have to evaluate the risks. Yes, you can drive without the engine guard, but are you prepared for the cost of replacing major parts if a stone hits something like the engine sump?

Ideally, if you wanted something quicker, why did you not consider the petrol version?

The performance gains from removing a plate that at max weighs about 50 kilos cannot be significant.
Old 18th April 2017, 04:58   #1026
BHPian

Hi Viraat,

Thanks for your prompt response, as always. The performance gains ARE noticeable, as I wrote. The car feels much more nimble and manageable in traffic.

It is not as much as the weight of the plate that matters as much as its placement. It is 50kg. in the wrong place. Had it to be in the centre of the car, it wouldn't have made much of a difference, but being at the front end, it does.

You won't believe the junk my brother and I waded through (spread over 4 states) before we got this car (for which we had to spend some, to bring up to speed). We were open-minded about the fuel she sipped, but wanted a car without much repair work on it, as Mysore is still a village as far as cars like these are concerned.

Can you believe that we have JUST ONE MECHANIC who knows his onions?

I just want to clarify that there would be no suspension stress with this plate removed - that front rod which looks as tough as an anti-roll bar has me thinking! If you can let me know about this, thanks plenty!

CLYDE
Old 23rd April 2017, 23:37   #1027
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Viraat,

Thanks for your prompt response, as always. The performance gains ARE noticeable, as I wrote. The car feels much more nimble and manageable in traffic.

It is not as much as the weight of the plate that matters as much as its placement. It is 50kg. in the wrong place. Had it to be in the centre of the car, it wouldn't have made much of a difference, but being at the front end, it does.

You won't believe the junk my brother and I waded through (spread over 4 states) before we got this car (for which we had to spend some, to bring up to speed). We were open-minded about the fuel she sipped, but wanted a car without much repair work on it, as Mysore is still a village as far as cars like these are concerned.

Can you believe that we have JUST ONE MECHANIC who knows his onions?

I just want to clarify that there would be no suspension stress with this plate removed - that front rod which looks as tough as an anti-roll bar has me thinking! If you can let me know about this, thanks plenty!

CLYDE
I would like to know who that ONE MECHANIC who knows his onions at Mysore is, as I have an E250 D and I did strike a speed breaker opposite SEPOY hotel nearabouts the Race course approach from Nilagiri Road. I did not know of any garage that would help me out at night so I stayed over to check for oil sump damage and then left the next day after knowing that the Armour plate saved the Cast Aluminium sump from any sort of damage.
Old 26th April 2017, 07:28   #1028
BHPian

Hi Karadi,

The name of this mechanic is Ravikiran (cellphone : 98453 41324, 98806 27777) and he seems competent, because he handles a lot of foreign cars. He did the steering box work on our 124 and recently changed the ignition lock barrel too, as the previous owners had mis-treated the part. The previous owner also had absolutely no record of fluid changes, so I changed the oil, filter and diesel filter (they were still usable, but better not to take chances), checked the transmission and differential oils (OK), at Ravikiran's place.

Glad to note that your 124 escaped undamaged. Speedbreakers (especially the unscientifically laid ones) are the scourge of Mysore. My brother and I battle constantly to have them removed, writing to the Commissioner of Police himself. The police are next to useless here and rather than work, they allow all and sundry to set up speedbreakers as and where they like. Even a bloody panwallah with a grievance against car-owners has the full permission to put up a speedbreaker in front of his shop.

There are precious few well-kept 124s in India as it is and it is a shame to see anything happen to them. We run ours only twice a week on known roads and therefore, asked the others about removing the armour place under the engine block, which improves the handling characteristics of the car, not forgetting the performance. We bought and restored our 124 as a complement to our record-holding model-car collection. My brother Neil began a thread on team-bhp about Autofest City, the name of our lot, which you could go through, time permitting.

Keep on truckin'!

CLYDE
Old 16th June 2017, 21:13   #1029
BHPian

So one day we found the entire headliner had dropped about 6 inches! If you do a google search, seems to be a common issue on the WB124. Had my Pune shop do a complete replacement, and it looks absolutely beautiful. Cost was 35K. I am sure a dealer would have been over a lakh. I guess the glue gives out or something!
Old 16th June 2017, 21:19   #1030
BHPian

Does anyone have recommendations for front strut replacement? I find that my left front seems to be a bit weak, mostly noticeable on uneven right hand turns. I do like the stock ride especially on our roads, but was wondering if anyone had used aftermarket struts with any success?

Part numbers would also help if available.

Thank you!
Old 17th June 2017, 18:06   #1031
BHPian

Hello guys. My hood ornament has been stolen twice despite being in secured society premises but without CCTVs. Finally after losing patience, I changed my parking to a better place. Now, I have bought a new logo but don't have the daring to install it again for a while.

I was told by a friend of the detachable hood ornament but it is becoming impossible to source one. It will be an expensive affair but a one time permanent solution. Can anybody help me with sourcing it? It feels lacklustre to drive the vehicle without the star.

Link for the video of detachable hood ornament.

Old 17th June 2017, 18:40   #1032
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I think a removable one is a better option against theft and vandalism. You could always put it back when you are going for a drive or for a meet or a rally where you will constantly be watching your car. It's really sad to see this happen to our cars. Some kids even try to take off car monograms at signals as well.

The other option is to put a replica star monogram for the time being and the original ones only for icassional drives.
Old 17th June 2017, 18:52   #1033
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess this is the right place to post this message :

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
There are 2 W124 Mercedes E Class (imported ones - pre facelift, pre 1995) which are probably on sale if anyone is interested. Both the cars are without engines and will be sold in as is where is condition. The cars are lying somewhere in Oshiwara. Just got to know about them a few days ago so thought I'll update this thread.

P.S. I do not know the owner nor the history of the cars.
Old 16th January 2018, 09:49   #1034
BHPian

Hi everyone,

My brother and I, based in Mysore, Karnataka, have a 1995 W124 facelift and we are looking for a set of rubber gaskets / boots / seals for our outer rear-view mirrors. You know the angled, pointed rubber part that lies between the ORVM and the door. I have been looking up and down eBay in vain - everything I locate is for left-hand drive cars.

The ones we have on the car are serviceable but have warped over time and since we have completed a restoration of the vehicle recently, I would like her to be up to speed on all counts as far as we can help it.

Quick question : are the seals the same for both LHD & RHD cars? If so, I can get something from abroad. If not...

Any ideas where we can get a pair of rubber boots for our mirrors? Thanks in advance.

CLYDE
CLYDE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 12:57   #1035
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone,

My brother and I,
Thanks in advance.

CLYDE
Hi Clyde,

I believe the rubber boots are different for LHD and RHD. I got mine from Rahul Motors, Palika Bhawan, New Delhi. You can get in touch with them for price, shipping, and other details at 011-24677611 or 9811107962. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I purchased them 6 years ago.

I just did a quick search on ebay.com for "Mercedes W124 Mirror Rubber" and found a lot of results ranging from 40 USD to 100 USD.

As far as I know, the rubber gasket is a part of the mirror and Mercedes/OE suppliers do not have them as a part. The ones I got were made in Taiwan, and are just about acceptable. If you are looking for perfection, you may try and hunt for ways to refurbish your existing parts or get a new set of mirrors which will be about 16 to 18 thousand as per my memory.

Regards,
Viraat
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks