Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2016, 21:25   #991
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

I wouldn't add anything that wasn't prepared in a laboratory into your diesel engine. Here's the best Diesel additive sold anywhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techron-Die...techron+diesel
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2016, 21:49   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravindra M View Post
I will be skeptical with any vegetable oil. It may lead to clogging of filter and may lead to fungus growth.

One good old mechanic told me to add the 2T oil to increase lubricity of diesel, which I feel would be better than vegetable oil.

There are a few diesel additives ( like Wuerth ) which claim to improve lubricity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I wouldn't add anything that wasn't prepared in a laboratory into your diesel engine. Here's the best Diesel additive sold anywhere.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techron-Die...techron+diesel
You guys are right. At times my brain stops working. I'll better get a Diesel additive than the vegetable oil hack. Screwdriva, that product is not sold in India it seems, but there are other recognized brands like STP, ABRO. I'll try one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Half a litre of engine oil for every other full tank does go a long way in making these engines run quieter and smoother. The diesel quality we have here is not entirely suited to these engines.
Works out to less than 1% . I'm gonna try adding a diesel additive and see how the engine likes it
Old 8th September 2016, 14:54   #993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
there are other recognized brands like STP, ABRO. I'll try one of them.
Both a worthless. It doesn't take much online research to find how terrible most additives are.

The 2 additives that are proven and loved by their users are:

1) Techron - here's a link to the petrol additive.
2) Lubro Moly Diesel additive - here's an amazon india link
Old 9th September 2016, 10:05   #994

Hi... Took these photos of my friends W124 here in Chandigarh.....

The location is near the LH side of gear lever console , above the transmission tunnel under the carpet. (RH side of Front of passenger seat)

Request support in terms of any suggestion of local garage in which the same can be attended where there is a good expertise on the same.

Also is there any whatsapp group related to W124 which anyone is running.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img_3310.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img_3311.jpg  

Old 11th September 2016, 09:00   #995

In the 1990's W123's were in demand in the US. Those were the times of high fuel prices. These cars were converted to run on WVO...waste veggie oils. This was nothing but used veggie oils from deep fryers from McDonalds, KFC and the likes. Google W123 + Waste oils for some interesting reads. So perhaps a bit of veggie oil added in diesel fuel will not harm the OM60x series engines. A bit off topic but I have a 1973 bullet and add 200 ml of coconut oil to every 5th tankful of gas.
Old 15th September 2016, 17:15   #996

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Before you spend a bunch of money, see if a competent mechanic can open up the wiring harness and check for wires where the insulation may be rotted. I had a similar issue with an unreliable AC, we did this, found the culprit, and its been two years of blowing ice cold air.
As of now, I have managed to do that. The mechanic identified the faulty wires running to the crank sensor and got the electrician to re-do the insulation. A sum-total of 4500rs.

But I like to sleep peacefully at night, so I want to bite the bullet and get a new harness...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Viraat.. think i have a wiring harness issue on my E220. Idle is not stable, goes below 500 if AC is turned on... and sometimes even without the AC being on, the idle is toggling between 800-200.
I can get a friend to bring the wiring harness from Germany, but i cant seem to find the part no. for the item. Can you help?
Ive looked online and there are way too many options and numbers. Its frigging expensive so want to make sure i am getting the correct one.
Thanks.
I give my car to Car Mechs in Teacher's Colony (Venkatapura Main Road). They are competent with luxury cars, especially Mercs. Do give them a try. Isolate your problem and diagnose it correctly before you fix anything. All the best.
blackcloud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2016, 21:48   #997
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
I give my car to Car Mechs in Teacher's Colony (Venkatapura Main Road). They are competent with luxury cars, especially Mercs. Do give them a try. Isolate your problem and diagnose it correctly before you fix anything. All the best.
Ive met babu once from Car mechs. My only issue was he wanted me to leave the car and that from prior experience has told me it'll be a month before it comes back.
However if your experience has been different do let me know. Will give it a shot.
And since you are biting the bullet, where are you getting the wiring harness from? Did you manage to get the part number? Is yours an 'Indian' W124, e220 too?
Old 16th September 2016, 09:48   #998

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Ive met babu once from Car mechs. My only issue was he wanted me to leave the car and that from prior experience has told me it'll be a month before it comes back.
However if your experience has been different do let me know. Will give it a shot.
And since you are biting the bullet, where are you getting the wiring harness from? Did you manage to get the part number? Is yours an 'Indian' W124, e220 too?
For "known" works like regular service/known work (like part replacement) they dont take more than 2-3 days.

For issues like what I had, they did take more than a month. Its quite justified, because they went through quite a lot of troubleshooting (injector service, OVP check, throttle body check, fuel lines checked, finally checked wire-by-wire for current) before they isolated the issue.
Old 16th September 2016, 19:43   #999

Since I travel to Delhi often, I'm going to procure it from Delhi. Viraat13 was of great help here.

To procure a harness, you need to provide the VIN (not to me, to the parts dealer or to someone who has access to the EPC)
Old 17th September 2016, 17:59   #1000
BHPian

So guys, I mixed 15ml of 'Adon D' injector cleaner bought from an IOC pump to 30 Litres of Diesel . Noticed NO difference even after running more than 100 km. :(

Drove at 100-120 kmph speeds on the NH47.

Now, my new problem is this below. R-A-T-S.

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-20160910_131225.jpg

They have eaten some of the firewall insulation. The car runs only about once a month since I am away and this last time when I went back home I see this mess. I recovered a few other things like plastic covers kept their by the rodents. Is there anything I can do about the firewall insulation? Are polyethylene foam good enough? Or how about any of these? - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/firewall-insulation

P.S:- I'm moving back to KL by November and from then on, the W124 is gonna be my daily drive . The only niggle to fix is a non-working power-window. Tyres are due for a change too. I'm looking at 195/65. Currently the car is shod with 205/60.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 17th September 2016 at 18:18. Reason: Adding the ebay link.
Old 20th September 2016, 04:37   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightrider_25 View Post
Hi... Took these photos of my friends W124 here in Chandigarh.....

The location is near the LH side of gear lever console , above the transmission tunnel under the carpet. (RH side of Front of passenger seat)

Request support in terms of any suggestion of local garage in which the same can be attended where there is a good expertise on the same.

Also is there any whatsapp group related to W124 which anyone is running.
PM me your number
We have a group of 124 owners.
Can you post pics of complete car?
We have had few W124 meets in Chandigarh in the past.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2016, 16:32   #1002

Iam sharing the contact of my friend who has just now moved to Chandigarh from Pune

Mr. Bhuvnesh Khanna : 8800206983
Email: bhuvnesh2709@gmail.com

He is having W124 1996, Mumbai registered in good condition with minor issues to be addressed immediately.

He's curiously waiting for your whatsapp group addition.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img_20160322_145904_1458639399138.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20160920wa0012.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20160920wa0013.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20160920wa0014.jpg  

Old 28th October 2016, 04:24   #1003
BHPian

Just ordered a full set of replacement brake rotors and pads from MB UK for my W124. The level of quality of OE parts still amazes me - even the rotors are covered in a rust protective grey coating and the brake pads have the MB star on them.

I'll never buy aftermarket parts again!
Old 2nd November 2016, 00:36   #1004
BHPian

Pics of new braking components attached
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-w124-brakes1.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-w124-brakes2.jpg  

Last edited by Screwdriva : 2nd November 2016 at 00:37.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 22:11   #1005
BHPian

So my W124 has been brought to Trivandrum now and it is gonna be my main ride after months of once-a-month driving. She got a new battery today morning and will get new shoes sometime this month. Now, coming to the point, today when driving from Kochi to Trivandrum, after about a 100km, I heard a popping sound under where the front passenger's leg would rest. My wife who was the passenger heard and felt it under her foot. She said its like a small rock came a hit underneath the car. For a second I thought that my one year old daughter broke the toy which she was playing with. Since then, while braking, I hear a grinding noise coming from around that area (or could be from front left wheel). The noise is there only when braking hard. No noise when braking very lightly. No noise when driving. Car stops fine too. I did a visual check, couldn't see anything. What could be wrong? Brake pads (no warning lights on the meter console)? Tyres?

Note1 : Wheels are out-of-alignment.
Note2 : Tyres are bad and they are 205/65R15 (not the correct size). I intend to go back to 195/65.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 14th February 2017 at 22:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks