Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 22:45   #856

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Hi friends.. Just bought a March 1997, w124 E250D manual diesel car and amongst small concerns was informed by my mechanic that I should quickly arrange a brand new Engine Wiring Harness as the old one is falling to pieces.. This just broke my heart... Though I was hoping that I would get it easily as this is probably the last production model and the youngest of all w124's, I was shocked to realize that no body ... no body has a new harness on sale.. I've tried everything from Ebay to local friends etc.. no luck. Please I request all the senior BHPians and all the members reading this post to point me in the right direction. I love my car and want to keep it for long as this is my dream purchase.. SOS... Contact me if any one has a spare engine wiring harness for my car.
Old 7th November 2014, 19:09   #857
BHPian

@w124Mercfan
Have you tried finding one in europe or USA because as far as I know W124 parts are quite easy to find in europe or USA?
Old 7th November 2014, 20:58   #858
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by w124Mercfan View Post
Hi friends.. Just bought a March 1997, w124 E250D manual diesel car and amongst small concerns was informed by my mechanic that I should quickly arrange a brand new Engine Wiring Harness as the old one is falling to pieces.. This just broke my heart... Though I was hoping that I would get it easily as this is probably the last production model and the youngest of all w124's, I was shocked to realize that no body ... no body has a new harness on sale.. I've tried everything from Ebay to local friends etc.. no luck. Please I request all the senior BHPians and all the members reading this post to point me in the right direction. I love my car and want to keep it for long as this is my dream purchase.. SOS... Contact me if any one has a spare engine wiring harness for my car.

As far as I can see lots of wiring harnesses for sale on Ebay.com and yes you can get them in Europe brand new from any Mercedes dealer too.
How about this one

Link

Last edited by Rehaan : 29th March 2020 at 20:30. Reason: Old post, but editing it to fix a small problem with mobile page formatting :)
Old 9th November 2014, 15:27   #859

Hi guys. Thanks for your reply. I tried searching on ebay and also restoreyourmercedes. You see these E250 D were made only in India by Telco and thereafter the entire production just stopped. In USA they dont even know that there was E250D and their parts list does not even have option to select the car model after 1995. Which means that this E250D was made only in India and then may have been shipped out to other countries. My mechanic has for now, taped the harness and yet the AC is not working despite putting in new Relay. Other small issues are RMP needle not moving, Wiper starts to run automatically. Guys I have spent a bomb on this car and want to use it asap. Any help will be appreciated. Will try to post some pics of the car for you all..
Old 9th November 2014, 23:42   #860
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately a lot of Mercedes models from 92 to 95 had what was referred to as biodegradable wiring harnesses. I think your best bet will be to adapt a wiring harness from a comparable model or to repair the portions of your harness that have disintegrated insulation. If it was up to me, I would remove the entire harness and make a new one. I remember doing just that in school in the 80s - I believe it was called lacing and looming.
Ray32825 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2014, 00:32   #861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys. Thanks for your reply. I tried searching on ebay and also restoreyourmercedes. You see these E250 D were made only in India by Telco and thereafter the entire production just stopped. In USA they dont even know that there was E250D and their parts list does not even have option to select the car model after 1995. Which means that this E250D was made only in India and then may have been shipped out to other countries. My mechanic has for now, taped the harness and yet the AC is not working despite putting in new Relay. Other small issues are RMP needle not moving, Wiper starts to run automatically. Guys I have spent a bomb on this car and want to use it asap. Any help will be appreciated. Will try to post some pics of the car for you all..
I can totally understand your plight. You have bought an 18 year old automobile which is not in production anymore,so you will have to be a bit patient when it comes to parts and repairs. I see that you are from Mumbai, shoot me an email at akshay4384@gmail.com and i will guide you to a person who is into 124's and other classic mercs. Btw where did you get the AC relay from and how much did you pay for it?. I need one for my car as well.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 12th November 2014 at 00:38.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 23:51   #862

Note from Support: Post edited for readability.

Akshay and Ray thanks for your support. I know I have purchased a 18 year old car and was prepared for getting the parts for it. I did not expect that wiring harness would be so difficult to get.

Anyways there is some good news to share. I have now located a better mechanic and the car is now being repaired by him personally and not his students. Secondly I have managed to tape up the major portions of the wiring harness and thing are looking pretty good. New issue is that it seems the car was involved in some accident on the rear tyre and this has caused the wheel alignment to go haywire as possibly the rear body had got bent and was repaired without much expertise by some novice. My new handyman is also looking into it.

In the meanwhile I have already located a scrapped E250D and have told the parts guy to keep the rear suspension including the axles and subframe etc handy, just in case i require it. I don't want to blame the earlier mechanic for the mess as not everyone can repair these over engineered cars. Also spoke to the car denter and painter and have agreed to go for a full repaint to bring it back to its glory. All that if the wiring issues are first sorted properly. Guys thanks a ton for your feedback and support. Please keep it up!!

Some pics for you guys.

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20140922wa0008.jpg

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20140922wa0009.jpg

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20140922wa0011.jpg

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20140927wa0014.jpeg

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img20141117150640.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2014 at 00:50. Reason: Posts merged.
w124Mercfan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 22:13   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I can totally understand your plight. You have bought an 18 year old automobile which is not in production anymore,so you will have to be a bit patient when it comes to parts and repairs. I see that you are from Mumbai, shoot me an email at akshay4384@gmail.com and i will guide you to a person who is into 124's and other classic mercs. Btw where did you get the AC relay from and how much did you pay for it?. I need one for my car as well.
Hi...my suggestion is that you find a good mechanic who is knowledgeable with wiring issues. I had a similar issue, with my AC working intermittently. My mechanic opened up the wiring harness and found a few wires missing the unsulation. He replaced these, with new wires, and the car is perfect. Other small issues like erratic idle etc, also got fixed. These cars are very susceptible to voltage irregularities. My guy is in Pune - Automec on Nagar Road in Viman Nagar. I would suspect you have some pretty good options in Mumbai as well. Have them pull the harness in sections, and check each section for wire breaks, insulation and rusted connectors, especially if its a Mumbai car. Good luck!
benz220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 22:15   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Do you have the part number for the AC relay? I may be able to source one for you from the UK. Also, make sure the relay fits snug in the holder, and the connectors are clean, that helped me on mine.
benz220 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 22:41   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz220 View Post
Do you have the part number for the AC relay? I may be able to source one for you from the UK. Also, make sure the relay fits snug in the holder, and the connectors are clean, that helped me on mine.
The problem is that, i do not have a AC relay,the AC chills,but it leads to Ice formation on pipes under the hood,which blocks airflow for sometime.
Winters are here, and AC's are off,so i wont need to attend to the AC until march,lots of other issues to take care off before that
Btw i have found two parts,not sure which one is correct.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img_1450.jpg  

Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img2011092600059.jpg  

Old 20th November 2014, 00:00   #866
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is that, i do not have a AC relay,the AC chills,but it leads to Ice formation on pipes under the hood,which blocks airflow for sometime.
Winters are here, and AC's are off,so i wont need to attend to the AC until march,lots of other issues to take care off before that
Btw i have found two parts,not sure which one is correct.
The picture on the right, is actually the relay from my car - my brother is holding it! There are two different numbers, but both are very similar. The relay in the picture came off my car. Not sure about the Kilma relay - part number looks different?
Old 24th November 2014, 23:10   #867
BHPian

This is an engine wiring diagram for the 300 D from MOD. I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-screenhunter_08-nov.-24-12.27.jpg  

Old 27th November 2014, 14:05   #868
BHPian

Hey all I am sure you have heard of another illogical move from the NGT regarding phasing out of 15 yr or older vehicles regardless of condition. Any idea if this is a recommendation or is it in force already. I feel the govt is hand in glove with the auto lobby..seeing the suddenness and severity of the judgement (they even asked vehicles to be towed if found parked in public space) this is retarded and an illogical move as maintenance matters more than age of the vehicle. . Whats are your thoughts on this? Whats is the way we can challenge this order?
Old 29th November 2014, 15:29   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportz_kruzer View Post
Hey all I am sure you have heard of another illogical move from the NGT regarding phasing out of 15 yr or older vehicles regardless of condition. Any idea if this is a recommendation or is it in force already. I feel the govt is hand in glove with the auto lobby..seeing the suddenness and severity of the judgement (they even asked vehicles to be towed if found parked in public space) this is retarded and an illogical move as maintenance matters more than age of the vehicle. . Whats are your thoughts on this? Whats is the way we can challenge this order?
It is already on hold, do not worry.
Old 30th November 2014, 01:39   #870
BHPian

Any ideas how to remove the oil pressure sensor on the e220, which is mounted on the engine block under the exhaust manifold? Replaced thermostat n coolant bottle today. .just thought I would gently rap the sensor as it was stuck ( would always read high even with engine off)..n alas..its leaking oil now !

There is absolutely no space to turn a spanner over there..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks