Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2016, 10:51   #961
BHPian

Re: Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viraat13 View Post
Beg to differ, 2 to 4 lakhs is more than enough for a W124 going by current rates. Regardless of the condition, one can expect to shell out another couple of lakhs in maintenance over the first 12 months before things settle down to regular maintenance expenses.
While I was hunting for the W124, I did see ads of W124 diesels selling for less than 4L, but their condition would be horrible. Couple of instances, I didn't even care to drive the car. Interiors would be badly kept, exteriors would be showing their age. You will definitely get a W124 Diesel for 3-ish lakhs, but you won't get a GOOD and cared-for W124 for less than 4 L (atleast in KL).

May be 4-5 years back they were available, but not now, with the number of good examples shrinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
We clearly have had different experiences.

In my experience, a well maintained car like the one I purchased has almost no expenses (I think I paid Rs.50K in the first 3 years of ownership, less than most Civics at the time).

Expect to shell out waaaay more than 2 lacs if the car has been neglected, especially if you purchase OEM MB spares.

These cars love involved ownership and preventative maintenance goes a long way in minimizing expenses.
True that. For Classic cars that are becoming a rare find, be it a W124 or a Padmini, be prepared to pay more than the average OLX or Quikr figures if you want a GOOD and well-maintained car.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 13th April 2016 at 11:03.
Old 13th April 2016, 11:23   #962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
While I was hunting for the W124, I did see ads of W124 diesels selling for less than 4L, but their condition would be horrible. Couple of instances, I didn't even care to drive the car. Interiors would be badly kept, exteriors would be showing their age. You will definitely get a W124 Diesel for 3-ish lakhs, but you won't get a GOOD and cared-for W124 for less than 4 L (atleast in KL).

May be 4-5 years back they were available, but not now, with the number of good examples shrinking.

True that. For Classic cars that are becoming a rare find, be it a W124 or a Padmini, be prepared to pay more than the average OLX or Quikr figures if you want a GOOD and well-maintained car.
Cars are cheaper in the North.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2016, 19:34   #963
BHPian

I agree. There is a strong correlation between the number of politicians and business tycoons and the number of W124's in a city. Even Ratan Tata had one for the longest time.

Nothing beats a Poona car given the low mileage and favorable weather conditions.
Old 22nd April 2016, 18:37   #964

Quote:
A malfunction of the fuel pressure regulator causes issues with starts, if your car is starting fine, I'd suggest you move on.

When you opened up the fuel tank, did you check the breather valve? The easiest way to check the health of the valve is to open the the fuel cap after the car has been running for a while and is properly hot. If you hear a lot of pressure being released when you open it, you ought to change it.

Let's move on to the regular maintenance bit now. Get yourself a can of carburetor cleaner and clean out the mass airflow sensor using that. For the throttle body, disconnect the air pipe and spray the carb cleaner into the throttle body with the engine running. While doing this, you should take the engine through its RPM range to ensure a proper clean.
These two steps may not help in this cause, but they're a part of regular maintenance, so it doesn't hurt.

Do check that the spark plugs are correct. The correct ones are - Bosch F8DC4 or FR7DC+, NGK BCP6ES or BCP6E or BK5KE or BK5KES. Speaking of sparks, have a look at the ignition coil wire. A shorted wire will cause many issues.

Additionally, is the engine wiring harness new? If not, it could be the source of all your troubles.
Hey, thanks for all the help. Is this the valve that you're talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes W124 E Class Support Group-img_1150.jpg  

Old 25th April 2016, 13:35   #965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 800Sid View Post
Hey, thanks for all the help. Is this the valve that you're talking about?
No. Search for part number 0004702293.
Old 25th April 2016, 13:51   #966

Quote:
No. Search for part number 0004702293.
Thanks for the part number. Where is this located again? Btw, I didn't not hear any pressure when I opened the fuel cap. I'm not very sure about this, but I shall check again and confirm. Also, the whining noise from underneath the car, near the fuel pump, keeps growing, but it's not a whirring sound and it fluctuates when on idle.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:02   #967
BHPian

Viraat13, When googled there are references to crankase ventilation valve with the same number and also as Fuel purge valve. Does the purge valve apply for diesels too ? Much obliged if you could reply as I find there is a pressure in the diesel filler too.
Old 26th April 2016, 13:17   #968
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the part number. Where is this located again? Btw, I didn't not hear any pressure when I opened the fuel cap. I'm not very sure about this, but I shall check again and confirm. Also, the whining noise from underneath the car, near the fuel pump, keeps growing, but it's not a whirring sound and it fluctuates when on idle.
Sid, first thing you do is remove the fuel pump relay, clean off the carbon deposits on the terminals of the relay and the fuse on the relay. If that doesn't solve it, you might just need a new fuel pump, but I wouldn't jump the gun on that - My fuel pump is noisy too, and I had bought a new one just in case it died on me. This was 4 years ago, and I'm still just waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Viraat13, When googled there are references to crankase ventilation valve with the same number and also as Fuel purge valve. Does the purge valve apply for diesels too ? Much obliged if you could reply as I find there is a pressure in the diesel filler too.
Slight pressure is no big deal. I'm not sure, but I don't think the diesel has this valve.
Viraat13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 21:19   #969

Mod note: Post Edited. Fixing Quotes, please do a Preview before Submit. Thanks.

Quote:
Sid, first thing you do is remove the fuel pump relay, clean off the carbon deposits on the terminals of the relay and the fuse on the relay. If that doesn't solve it, you might just need a new fuel pump, but I wouldn't jump the gun on that - My fuel pump is noisy too, and I had bought a new one just in case it died on me. This was 4 years ago, and I'm still just waiting.

Is the fuel pump relay green in color or is it the large black one? Can you give me the part number. I've ordered the other part, you think it could be anything else that could also cause this?

I run a few kilometers and the noise starts, run it longer and it chokes, but doesn't stall. Switching the car off and on again will temporarily fix it. Also, can you tell me where I can order parts from? I live in Mangalore, Karnataka. And, if you could PM me your number, we could have a proper chat about the problem and cars in general.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd May 2016 at 22:11. Reason: Fixing Quotes, please do a Preview before Submit. Thanks.
Old 1st June 2016, 04:18   #970
BHPian

Wanted to alert W124 owners that the Mercedes brake caliper seal rebuild kits, Master Cylinder, pads and brake hoses are not available from MB or any Mumbai seller anymore. Only East Asian aftermarket parts available, and most of them are terribly quality.

I just rebuilt my entire brake system on my W124 and had to import every part from Stuttgart, much to the relief of my mechanic.
Old 2nd June 2016, 17:06   #971
BHPian

Quote:
Mod note: Post Edited. Fixing Quotes, please do a Preview before Submit. Thanks.

Is the fuel pump relay green in color or is it the large black one? Can you give me the part number. I've ordered the other part, you think it could be anything else that could also cause this?

I run a few kilometers and the noise starts, run it longer and it chokes, but doesn't stall. Switching the car off and on again will temporarily fix it. Also, can you tell me where I can order parts from? I live in Mangalore, Karnataka. And, if you could PM me your number, we could have a proper chat about the problem and cars in general.
The green one. Don't have the part number handy.

Try taking out the relay and cleaning the terminals. I am starting the suspect the fuel pump itself now.

Get in touch with me on nine eight seven three zero double seven double nine two.
Old 5th June 2016, 11:49   #972

I'm on the lookout for a new throttle body & wiring harness for my W124 E220.

I got astronomous quotes for the throttle body from eurocarparts & similar online stores (~90k)

But the wiring harness is not available itself. Is the VIN number not enough to identify the part number for the wiring harness? Even the mercedes dealer in bangalore asks me to bring the car to showroom to identify the part number.

Can someone help me here? I'm in Bangalore. ~50k for wiring harness is a bullet I'm willing to bite. I'm also frequently shuttling between Delhi and Bangalore (once a month). Can also pick it up from Delhi if Viraat13 has sources. Thanks in advance!
Old 5th June 2016, 19:53   #973
BHPian

You need to supply the MB dealership with your VIN Number. Without this, they cannot help you but they shouldn't need more to provide you with a quote.

The harness is the W124's achilles heel. IMO, when it fails, you have no option but to replace it with a new/ like new unit. The LLR/ Throttle body can be salvaged/ rebuilt in 8/10 cases.

Last edited by Screwdriva : 5th June 2016 at 20:02.
Screwdriva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 15:34   #974
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud View Post
I'm on the lookout for a new throttle body & wiring harness for my W124 E220.

I got astronomous quotes for the throttle body from eurocarparts & similar online stores (~90k)

But the wiring harness is not available itself. Is the VIN number not enough to identify the part number for the wiring harness? Even the mercedes dealer in bangalore asks me to bring the car to showroom to identify the part number.

Can someone help me here? I'm in Bangalore. ~50k for wiring harness is a bullet I'm willing to bite. I'm also frequently shuttling between Delhi and Bangalore (once a month). Can also pick it up from Delhi if Viraat13 has sources. Thanks in advance!
The wiring harness should be available in your budget in Delhi. Do visit Palika Bhawan or Khan Market (Prithvi Raj Market) whenever you're here next.
Viraat13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 19:35   #975

Quote:
The wiring harness should be available in your budget in Delhi. Do visit Palika Bhawan or Khan Market (Prithvi Raj Market) whenever you're here next.
I am in Delhi this weekend. Will check out both places on Saturday morning.

Can you also let me know the name of the shops? (anything you recommend in particular?)

Do I need the part number for the wiring harness before I visit these shops? Or is the VIN number sufficient...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks